• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Things that people find hilarious/funny, but you just don't get it

Fercho

Touch Fuzzy get dizzy
Pronouns
He, Him
After re-watching the horrible Simpsons movie i started to actually wonder what was that people find so "hilarious " about this scene (Spider-Pig):

Tons of people that i know says they found this scene very funny, other say that the movie sucked but it was the best gag in there.

I just don't get it. This "gag”, but even when i get infantile humor i found it painfully unfunny, even cringy and i failed to see what people find so funny about that scene. It is even more unfunny in Spanish.

What are yours?

It's just silly and infantile, like Homer. That's it really.

On a side note, I grew up watching Simpsons in Spanish and I find it superior to American Simpsons lol

Seinfeld. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get" that series but I don't get what's good about it at all. It bores me completely.

On a side note, I grew up watching Simpsons in Spanish and I find it superior to American Simpsons lol

Right, but i believe that was before FOX decided to replace the original voice cast, after that the dub just sucked, which coincides with the overall decline of the series. This is assuming you are talking about the LATAM dub.

Even before the replacement, during his last years voicing the character, Humberto Velez (Homer´s original LATAM voice) just decided to include his own (very unfunny) ideas into the dub. Before that the Spanish dub was bliss, lighting in a bottle honestly.

Seinfeld. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get" that series but I don't get what's good about it at all. It bores me completely.

The show had its moments , but i do find Seinfeld (The real life comedian) very unfunny in his stands ups specially.

Bill Murray is another comedian i find very unfunny, but loved by everyone.

Right, but i believe that was before FOX decided to replace the original voice cast, after that the dub just sucked, which coincides with the overall decline of the series. This is assuming you are talking about the LATAM dub.

Even before the replacement, during his last years voicing the character, Humberto Velez (Homer´s original LATAM voice) just decided to include his own (very unfunny) ideas into the dub. Before that the Spanish dub was bliss, lighting in a bottle honestly.
Yeah, South American Simpsons. Not sure if they use the same dub as Mexico and Central America. But yeah, this was back in the 90's before I moved the U.S.

In South America, we got some american cartoons, some of the bigger ones like Garfield and Transformers, and Simpsons of course, but what we got a lot of was anime and Japanese live action shonen shows. And Spanish Anime dubs were amazing and so much better than dubs in America from the 80's and 90's.

And to keep it on topic, on shows people think are funny but I just do not get it:

Rick & Morty. I tried watching a few episodes, but outside of the animation, I could not stand it. I felt the show was so up its own ass.

I don't think I've found any American sitcom I've ever watched funny. Probably the worst of the bunch were TBBT and HIMYM. Insanely popular, but I just consider them painfully unfunny. And yes, that also goes for animated sitcoms sans maybe The Simpsons and Futurama.

I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but 'Marvel humor'. The fact that it spread across every blockbuster movie is the main reason I lost interest in pop cinema.

After re-watching the horrible Simpsons movie i started to actually wonder what was that people find so "hilarious " about this scene (Spider-Pig):

Tons of people that i know says they found this scene very funny, other say that the movie sucked but it was the best gag in there.

I just don't get it. This "gag”, but even when i get infantile humor i found it painfully unfunny, even cringy and i failed to see what people find so funny about that scene. It is even more unfunny in Spanish.

What are yours?

Least funny thing in a movie totally bereft of laughs.

Excuse for what?
It's a satirical comment on the question of their age being relevant to enjoying the comedy of Seinfeld(the TV show). I assume the answer did not line up with the asker's expectations and the age would likely align with someone who may like that comedy. So I jokingly stated there's no more excuses left to not possibly like it. I just now realized you're the person that they asked the question to. Yeah just joking of course. It can comes down to personal preference and the show can be an acquired taste I think. I liked the show for awhile but have trouble going back to it these days.

It's a satirical comment on the question of their age being relevant to enjoying the comedy of Seinfeld(the TV show). I assume the answer did not line up with the asker's expectations and the age would likely align with someone who may like that comedy. So I jokingly stated there's no more excuses left to not possibly like it. I just now realized you're the person that they asked the question to. Yeah just joking of course. It can comes down to personal preference and the show can be an acquired taste I think. I liked the show for awhile but have trouble going back to it these days.
Lol, I now see my comment kind of sounds aggresive too, but it was really not meant to sound like that. I was already kinda confused about the age thing haha, so I kind of felt I was missing some point here :)

SNL. I think my entire life it’s just been extremely unfunny.
It has some great skits no doubt, but tbh usually the ones which don’t make it to air. Sitting through a whole episode is rough unless the guest is significant and provides novelty

Sex jokes in general. Just feels like it’s a high school teen male testosterone thing. There isn’t really any sex joke I find funny.

I forgot to mention one thing: German comedy. There's a few here and there that get a chuckle out of me, but the majority is just,,, EH. In the best of cases, you'll find someone who doesn't punch down but I've honestly given up on the genre as I grew older.

EDIT: Also fuck carnival. The only good thing about it is doughnuts.

Ren & Stimpy. Even when I was a little kid, I could not for the life of me get any enjoyment out of it and never understood why everyone but me liked it. The fact that the creator is a disgusting scumbag doesn't help matters.

Seinfeld
Frasier
Friends
SNL
Mr Bean
HowToBasic (Youtube channel)

Lolcow humor. Stuff like laughing at people like ChrisChan or WingsOfRedemption. I find their stories interesting to a degree but more in a tragic sense.

99% of sitcoms mainly of the family variety.

I liked the Cosby show as a little kid (Yes it’s problematic now), and I still think the Fresh Prince is good.

Outside of that haven’t liked much. I wasn’t even a big fan of TGIF despite being the right age.

Put me in the camp of hating Friends and not loving Seinfeld (despite liking Curb), but I understand stuff like Seinfeld and Frasier did help pave the way for NBC to get out of the straight family sitcom genre. Obviously Cheers did this as well.

I wouldn’t call The Office or Parks & Rec sitcoms in the traditional sense. The same for a show like idk Chuck.

I also think Wings was underrated.

I guess my general feeling is the show needs an angle like The Office or Wings or Community, and it needs to not be a typical family show like Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens or Full House.

Last edited:
-Pretty much any "funny" superhero comic from marvel or dc.
-That absolute fool, Mr. Bean.
-The Ghost Stories anime dub.
-DBZ abridged.
If anyone mentions classic simpsons I'll cry 😢

-DBZ abridged.
While I have been known to get a chuckle out of DBZA now and then, I must admit as a huge Dragon Ball fan I get really annoyed about people applying its characterizations to the actual body of work or saying things like "it's better than the original," with it sometimes dominating discussion of the IP in general. But that's also just me being a big ol' grumpy nerd about a 40 year old gag manga.

I've never been a fan of Friends. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, leaving the problematic "all white straight people characters" premise aside. The amount of things these people do to each other is the definition of "with friends like these why i want enemies?" LMAO.

99% of sitcoms mainly of the family variety.
I will say Married with Children is the only one I chuckle at.

-DBZ abridged.
This big time. I also may chuckle at this sometimes, but otherwise yeaahhhh.

I must admit as a huge Dragon Ball fan I get really annoyed about people applying its characterizations to the actual body of work or saying things like "it's better than the original," with it sometimes dominating discussion of the IP in general. But that's also just me being a big ol' grumpy nerd about a 40 year old gag manga.
So true. I dislike people who do this so much. I have seen some say it is better than the original, and just face desk so hard.

I also meant to add The Office to the list for me. I just never found it funny at all or got it the hype around it.

I will say Married with Children is the only one I chuckle at.

This big time. I also may chuckle at this sometimes, but otherwise yeaahhhh.

So true. I dislike people who do this so much. I have seen some say it is better than the original, and just face desk so hard.

I also meant to add The Office to the list for me. I just never found it funny at all or got it the hype around it.
The Office, 30 Rock, and Parks and Recs are things that just completely missed me.

Apparently there are people out there who watch Epic Rap Battles of History and aren't getting paid for it.

The Office, 30 Rock, and Parks and Recs are things that just completely missed me.

It’s weird because I generally find nothing funny, but with The Office, even though I rarely laugh, I feel so warm and cozy watching it. It’s like I’m in the company of friends.

For me, I don’t find It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia funny at all. When it first aired, the earlier seasons got me to laugh because it was so riské, but recently, I can’t see past that fact that every scene boils down into actors trying hard to make me laugh. Nothing feels real or relatable to it. Almost every scene seems to resort to them standing in a room and trying SO hard to make me laugh. I honestly can’t see past that.

Ricky Gervais and David Walliams. Two people who rode the coattails of undoubtedly more talented costars, they’re both undeserved smugness personified.

What We Do In The Shadows - the TV series took an excellent film with a very dry, very Nee Zealand sense of humour and somehow turned it into something more closely resembling a Halloween special episode of the American Office. Matt Berry is the only saving grace.

Adventure Time. I love cartoons, and I especially love a lot of the cartoons that it’s inspired, but every time I try to give it a chance I just can’t even crack a smile.

Adventure Time. I love cartoons, and I especially love a lot of the cartoons that it’s inspired, but every time I try to give it a chance I just can’t even crack a smile.
I stopped watching CN around the time Adventure Time premiered on CN. I just got sick and tired of the 'WHAT TIME IS IT?' stuff being quoted all the time online during that time. I like cartoons too, but don't really watch a lot of them. I never have watched much Adventure Time, so cannot really say if it is funny or not.

Back
Top Bottom