• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox The Xbox Series S: A Nintendo Fan's Biased Perspective

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
So, I have the most amazing wife in the entire world, and upon pondering, she has given me an Xbox Series S as a huge early Christmas present. You may have remembered a thread earlier, asking if the little brother of next gen machines are worth it. I heeded your advice, and this is what I think.

I think it's important to state. I am incredibly biased. I was born in a Sony family, adopted into Nintendo..... And the only experience I have with Xbox was visiting a family friend, of whom I would play Halo with him. He was an incredibly toxic individual (but I had fun), I later learned he is incredibly racist, and is as well.... Nowadays part of the alt right. Let that sink in for you on how my perspective is on Xbox, and how it started.

I hated the Xbox brand with a passion. It was singularly responsible to toxic online gaming culture, creating a cesspool of racism, misogyny with the invention of Xbox Live. Xbox also helped the demonization of motion controls with its Kinect, it created the whole fiasco with Xbox One(trying to take away used games and even physical games). Yeah..... My feelings towards Xbox were not good, in fact, even now, when I hear the word Xbox, I shudder internally. Now that you are aware of my past, I need to let you know that I have been very critical of Microsoft. Now, lets ask the pinnacle question.

Should you get an Xbox Series S?
Oh hell yeah. This is honestly going to be my next gen driver, and this is already one of my favorite consoles of all time. Let's dive into why and parley my experience.

So, every single time I see anything about the Xbox Series S, people always talk about the performance differences. It's performance differences this and that, yada yada yada. But people get so lost in the numbers of resolution, they always forget to talk about.... Do the games look good, do the games run good? Yes yes and yes. Holy hell this little tiny machine packs a wallop, and the games look extremely amazing(even on a large blown up TV). Yes... Its not "4K". But at any respectable distance the "low" resolution doesn't matter. My main console is the Switch, then PS4. It looks far and leagues better than either of those consoles, and despite no resolution difference, it certainly feels like a generational leap. Games look fantastic, perform amazing, and the feature-set of the system is astonishing too. If you guys are at all used to the Switch level of hardware, this little box that could will blow you away.

Honestly, I give Microsoft a lot of props for making options in their machines. Honestly, the whole resolution wars is kind of silly honestly. I think that people obsess so much about these numbers that they forget to look at the games in front of them. I even hooked up my Xbox Series S to a 4k tv set, and honestly? It still looked amazing. It's just wonderful, and it honestly just works. I have to say as well, quick resume, the fast SSD, and everything makes by far the biggest upgrade. This console just feels good to control from an UI level, to loading, to, well everything.

Another "drawback" that people say too, is external storage. Again, not really a problem. I downloaded a bunch of games, still have plenty of room. Even so, I have a 1 terabyte external hardrive that I got for $20. When I get full, I will put things into external storage..... It really isn't that bad? If I want to move, say Halo infinite between those 2, it takes like 10 minutes. Just make a sandwich and plan ahead. Honestly, I have spent longer getting my disks on PS4 installed. Now that's a rough experience. Now, it doesn't have a disk drive at all.... But I don't think I will ever buy a game for this console.

The whole Gamepass thing seems kind of like a cult doesn't it? It seems like everyone that I talked to, says how great of a deal it is, it feels like its illegal, ect. It's like someone got a bug and turned into this Microsoft PR machine, and it was kind of off-putting.... And crazy. Well, you got another one to add to the list though. People just have to try it once...... And boy this service is just the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I honestly feel like a kid again.

Do you guys remember when you were a kid? Your parents would buy you games, or you would go out to the store, no reviews, no thought of how to pay for the game, just nothing? It's such a freeing feeling because you just looked at what looked cool and brought it home. My absolute favorite series got started that way, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, ect. As time passes, you start getting burned by games, especially as you start paying for them. "I paid $40 for Sonic Generations 3DS? What a waste of money!" It's after those, that you start meticulously looking at reviews for games, trying to make sure is specifically appeals to me. And I feel that I nowadays spend more time researching the games that I purchase, rather than just playing. With Xbox Game Pass..... I just feel... Free.

I got to try out so many games. Big games, small games, indie games, AAA games..... And I am honestly crying. I cried, over a tetrimino in Tetris Effect. A game that I just pushed off because I normally hate puzzle games. I hit a huge dose of Nostalgia seeing Plants Vs. Zombies and playing it. I got to play a top rate racing game(which is again a genre I don't normally like) and really feel it. I played some final fantasy, I played shooters, I played... Everything(well not everything but it certainly feels like it). I normally put a lot of pressure on myself, to finish the games I purchase. If I don't eventually finish a game, then it often feels like money wasted. But with Gamepass? I can just play it. I can just worry about having the most enjoyment I can. And it's just amazing. This, plus quick resume makes this the most astonishing value. It allowed me to enjoy games in a way that I haven't for all these years, and I can quickly switch between games, play a little bit, switch to a new one. I am so used to buying a console, and starting from ground zero(no games). While that can be fun in its own right, it is the most freeing experience to get a new console, and being able to play 100s of games right away.

I know, I know, you guys are probably really tired to hear about Gamepass. But I have to say I was one of those people annoyed too, and the fact that this happened.... Ooof it's kind of scary isn't it? But its such a positive perception. Now I have a lot of thoughts of the games themselves, but I think I am getting a bit long in the tooth for an OP.

The last things I will say is the quality of the hardware. So, overall I have every Nintendo console sans the virtual boy, PS1-PS4.... And I got to say, the quality of the design of the hardware honestly is my favorite, and it feels just as durable ass the GameCube. The Xbox Series controller is a huge upgrade from the cheap, plastic feeling DualShock 4, and is mildly better than the Pro Controller. Honestly though, I want Gyro aiming. I can't say how the controller stacks up to the Dualsense(I honestly haven't seen a PS5 out in the wild). But the controller feels like amazing quality. I love the D-Pad too. It's perfect for tetris, and RPG's, and 2D games in general. The triggers and analog sticks feel absolutely amazing too. It gets an A+ for me, and I previously hated Microsoft's previous controllers.

So overall, I am so impressed with Microsoft's opening, and this console. As a Nintendo fan, this is honestly one of the best first days I have ever had with a new console. You know, I was sort of planning to get a PS5 after it gets in stock after a year or so. Time will tell, but honestly, I think I might just stick with my Series S.... Especially with $70 games, an insurgence of big budget games for exclusives(meaning high quality, but low quantity). Time will tell. I know it will stand alongside of my Switch for sure, and they work quite well together! I definitely need portable play so its a good fit.

I want you to take this recommendation really to heart too. Honestly, a glowing praise of a microsoft console is actually quite a lot coming from me of all people. I would love it if you guys had any questions about my experience too, considering that I know most of you all are Nintendo only or Nintendo + Sony people.

I didn't have as much negativity towards the Xbox brand as you did but it was generally a family of consoles I wasn't super interested in, and I had everything I needed on Nintendo and Sony machines, alongside the PC. Sure there was a game every now and then that would pique my interest - I was very sad I couldn't properly enjoy Viva Pinata, Trials HD/Evolution or Ori and the Blind Forest on release for instance - but generally nothing enticed me to grab one of their consoles.

Only really grabbed the Series S as I was starting to get burnt out being on my PC a lot of the time for work and it was hard to switch off and be able to enjoy Gamepass on it properly. Well, my PS5 is now pretty much obsolete and has just become a big and ugly 4K BluRay player and while I'll still jump onto the Switch, most of my indie game time has moved away from it to the Series S.

I'll be honest, I'll only play tv boxes if there's something I reaaaaaaally want to play. Otherwise I can't be bothered. Elden Ring is probably next on deck on that front. TBH as much as I like Sony, I think Series will be my secondary console this generation because of the Bethesda acquisition. I think their games + MS's other exclusives + Gamepass trump Sony's first party this generation even though last gen I felt the opposite. Unless we get a true sequel to Bloodborne that is.:cool:

I used Xbox regularly from 2002 up to around 2016, then fell off for a few years before getting a Series S literally last week and I agree - it's an excellent machine and GamePass is great value for money.

For me, it's a secondary machine to Switch, primarily to play Halo Infinite and Psychonauts 2 in the near term, but Game Pass also gives me access to things like Raji and Sable which I'd been meaning to get around to.

+1 to the Series S love.

It's my first Xbox console. I'm very happy with the direction Microsoft has taken lately.

It's very tempting. Though I'm primarily a handheld gamer.
Honestly, the same. But Microsoft has a surprising amount of options With X Cloud and stuff too. The Xbox though does feel really nice to play too. The quick resume feature is like the ultimate evolution of DS and Switch's sleep mode. It's really perfect for bite sized gameplay, surprisingly so for a console.

So, I have the most amazing wife in the entire world, and upon pondering, she has given me an Xbox Series S as a huge early Christmas present. You may have remembered a thread earlier, asking if the little brother of next gen machines are worth it. I heeded your advice, and this is what I think.

I think it's important to state. I am incredibly biased. I was born in a Sony family, adopted into Nintendo..... And the only experience I have with Xbox was visiting a family friend, of whom I would play Halo with him. He was an incredibly toxic individual (but I had fun), I later learned he is incredibly racist, and is as well.... Nowadays part of the alt right. Let that sink in for you on how my perspective is on Xbox, and how it started.

I hated the Xbox brand with a passion. It was singularly responsible to toxic online gaming culture, creating a cesspool of racism, misogyny with the invention of Xbox Live. Xbox also helped the demonization of motion controls with its Kinect, it created the whole fiasco with Xbox One(trying to take away used games and even physical games). Yeah..... My feelings towards Xbox were not good, in fact, even now, when I hear the word Xbox, I shudder internally. Now that you are aware of my past, I need to let you know that I have been very critical of Microsoft. Now, lets ask the pinnacle question.

Should you get an Xbox Series S?
Oh hell yeah. This is honestly going to be my next gen driver, and this is already one of my favorite consoles of all time. Let's dive into why and parley my experience.

So, every single time I see anything about the Xbox Series S, people always talk about the performance differences. It's performance differences this and that, yada yada yada. But people get so lost in the numbers of resolution, they always forget to talk about.... Do the games look good, do the games run good? Yes yes and yes. Holy hell this little tiny machine packs a wallop, and the games look extremely amazing(even on a large blown up TV). Yes... Its not "4K". But at any respectable distance the "low" resolution doesn't matter. My main console is the Switch, then PS4. It looks far and leagues better than either of those consoles, and despite no resolution difference, it certainly feels like a generational leap. Games look fantastic, perform amazing, and the feature-set of the system is astonishing too. If you guys are at all used to the Switch level of hardware, this little box that could will blow you away.

Honestly, I give Microsoft a lot of props for making options in their machines. Honestly, the whole resolution wars is kind of silly honestly. I think that people obsess so much about these numbers that they forget to look at the games in front of them. I even hooked up my Xbox Series S to a 4k tv set, and honestly? It still looked amazing. It's just wonderful, and it honestly just works. I have to say as well, quick resume, the fast SSD, and everything makes by far the biggest upgrade. This console just feels good to control from an UI level, to loading, to, well everything.

Another "drawback" that people say too, is external storage. Again, not really a problem. I downloaded a bunch of games, still have plenty of room. Even so, I have a 1 terabyte external hardrive that I got for $20. When I get full, I will put things into external storage..... It really isn't that bad? If I want to move, say Halo infinite between those 2, it takes like 10 minutes. Just make a sandwich and plan ahead. Honestly, I have spent longer getting my disks on PS4 installed. Now that's a rough experience. Now, it doesn't have a disk drive at all.... But I don't think I will ever buy a game for this console.

The whole Gamepass thing seems kind of like a cult doesn't it? It seems like everyone that I talked to, says how great of a deal it is, it feels like its illegal, ect. It's like someone got a bug and turned into this Microsoft PR machine, and it was kind of off-putting.... And crazy. Well, you got another one to add to the list though. People just have to try it once...... And boy this service is just the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I honestly feel like a kid again.

Do you guys remember when you were a kid? Your parents would buy you games, or you would go out to the store, no reviews, no thought of how to pay for the game, just nothing? It's such a freeing feeling because you just looked at what looked cool and brought it home. My absolute favorite series got started that way, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, ect. As time passes, you start getting burned by games, especially as you start paying for them. "I paid $40 for Sonic Generations 3DS? What a waste of money!" It's after those, that you start meticulously looking at reviews for games, trying to make sure is specifically appeals to me. And I feel that I nowadays spend more time researching the games that I purchase, rather than just playing. With Xbox Game Pass..... I just feel... Free.

I got to try out so many games. Big games, small games, indie games, AAA games..... And I am honestly crying. I cried, over a tetrimino in Tetris Effect. A game that I just pushed off because I normally hate puzzle games. I hit a huge dose of Nostalgia seeing Plants Vs. Zombies and playing it. I got to play a top rate racing game(which is again a genre I don't normally like) and really feel it. I played some final fantasy, I played shooters, I played... Everything(well not everything but it certainly feels like it). I normally put a lot of pressure on myself, to finish the games I purchase. If I don't eventually finish a game, then it often feels like money wasted. But with Gamepass? I can just play it. I can just worry about having the most enjoyment I can. And it's just amazing. This, plus quick resume makes this the most astonishing value. It allowed me to enjoy games in a way that I haven't for all these years, and I can quickly switch between games, play a little bit, switch to a new one. I am so used to buying a console, and starting from ground zero(no games). While that can be fun in its own right, it is the most freeing experience to get a new console, and being able to play 100s of games right away.

I know, I know, you guys are probably really tired to hear about Gamepass. But I have to say I was one of those people annoyed too, and the fact that this happened.... Ooof it's kind of scary isn't it? But its such a positive perception. Now I have a lot of thoughts of the games themselves, but I think I am getting a bit long in the tooth for an OP.

The last things I will say is the quality of the hardware. So, overall I have every Nintendo console sans the virtual boy, PS1-PS4.... And I got to say, the quality of the design of the hardware honestly is my favorite, and it feels just as durable ass the GameCube. The Xbox Series controller is a huge upgrade from the cheap, plastic feeling DualShock 4, and is mildly better than the Pro Controller. Honestly though, I want Gyro aiming. I can't say how the controller stacks up to the Dualsense(I honestly haven't seen a PS5 out in the wild). But the controller feels like amazing quality. I love the D-Pad too. It's perfect for tetris, and RPG's, and 2D games in general. The triggers and analog sticks feel absolutely amazing too. It gets an A+ for me, and I previously hated Microsoft's previous controllers.

So overall, I am so impressed with Microsoft's opening, and this console. As a Nintendo fan, this is honestly one of the best first days I have ever had with a new console. You know, I was sort of planning to get a PS5 after it gets in stock after a year or so. Time will tell, but honestly, I think I might just stick with my Series S.... Especially with $70 games, an insurgence of big budget games for exclusives(meaning high quality, but low quantity). Time will tell. I know it will stand alongside of my Switch for sure, and they work quite well together! I definitely need portable play so its a good fit.

I want you to take this recommendation really to heart too. Honestly, a glowing praise of a microsoft console is actually quite a lot coming from me of all people. I would love it if you guys had any questions about my experience too, considering that I know most of you all are Nintendo only or Nintendo + Sony people.
My parents were hardcore leftists in turkey and got tortured in the 1980 Turkish military coup. My uncle died while fighting for the Pkk a kurdish seperatist group and my cousin is in Rojava right now. So I am comming from a leftist tradition. What has all of that to do with xbox? I for example couldn't stand Sony from psX on forward. I can't stand anime and can't stand Jrpgs. But I love nintendo. And I completely got a fan boy after playing OoT as a kid. I have nintendo for the first parties always and MS for first and 3rs parties. What has political ideology anything to do with a console?

Honestly, the same. But Microsoft has a surprising amount of options With X Cloud and stuff too. The Xbox though does feel really nice to play too. The quick resume feature is like the ultimate evolution of DS and Switch's sleep mode. It's really perfect for bite sized gameplay, surprisingly so for a console.
This is so true. It's almost as easy to jump back into a game on the Xbox as it is on Switch (it's easier but portable >>>> everything in this regard).

I love the Xbox Series (X in my case)

I love how everybody who finally gets into Game Pass goes through this same experience lol

It really is fantastic though. Xbox is good actually.

I got series x in launch with gamepass. First xbox cobsole since the 360 that I had to replace so many times because of faulty hardware. I love my xbox now, and it is incredible with gamepass.

I've honestly loved it from the moment I got it. The UI is fantastic, and Gamepass is just amazing. Storage is a draw back but mostly able to manage my installs and keep two go to games (Horizon and a shooter (right now Halo).

Initial feel of xcloud was negative but either it works better for certain games or has improved but I have been playing a lot of BFV and it feels great.

Honestly one of my favourite consoles. I really think MS has been smart going for a lower spec cheaper option. Its success also means that Devs will have to support it with good performance for the generation.

What has political ideology anything to do with a console?
OP was telling us how the Xbox brand in their mind became associated with a toxic friend with a toxic political ideology. They weren't saying consoles are tied to political ideology per se. I can relate. When I think Xbox I think teenage boys and stay-at-home twenty-somethings munching on Doritos while blasting other teenage boys to oblivion in some beige-brown shooter game. That's my preconception. I recognise Xbox is more than that, but the brand has never historically appealed to me either.

OP, thank you for a great read and an engaging take. I have £304 on a Curry's gift card following a refund for a knackered OLED. I got a working OLED elsewhere and I've been considering a Series S. However, I do find it hard to juggle more than one platform, and I love to play in bed with my Switch.

That said, you make a good case for GamePass. I do worry if GP is sustainable and I do hope indie devs benefit from it and it's a sustainable source of revenue for them. I pretty much abhor paid DLC and microtransaction, pay-to-win mechanics etc., and I fear a future where GP doesn't provide enough revenue so devs/publishers force this shit into their games.

I'm thinking GP might be a good way to demo games before committing to a purchase on Switch (we need more demos on Switch), and also as you say try games from genres we don't normally play. There are also a few games like Bloodstained that I will not play on Switch because of unacceptable performance. Hmm.

So, so tempted. And today marks the start of 9 whole days off work...

Can I get used to back being "A" and confirm being "B"!? 😅 I hated it when Sony flipped the controls for internation audiences.

OP was telling us how the Xbox brand in their mind became associated with a toxic friend with a toxic political ideology. They weren't saying consoles are tied to political ideology per se. I can relate. When I think Xbox I think teenage boys and stay-at-home twenty-somethings munching on Doritos while blasting other teenage boys to oblivion in some beige-brown shooter game. That's my preconception. I recognise Xbox is more than that, but the brand has never historically appealed to me either.

OP, thank you for a great read and an engaging take. I have £304 on a Curry's gift card following a refund for a knackered OLED. I got a working OLED elsewhere and I've been considering a Series S. However, I do find it hard to juggle more than one platform, and I love to play in bed with my Switch.

That said, you make a good case for GamePass. I do worry if GP is sustainable and I do hope indie devs benefit from it and it's a sustainable source of revenue for them. I pretty much abhor paid DLC and microtransaction, pay-to-win mechanics etc., and I fear a future where GP doesn't provide enough revenue so devs/publishers force this shit into their games.

I'm thinking GP might be a good way to demo games before committing to a purchase on Switch (we need more demos on Switch), and also as you say try games from genres we don't normally play. There are also a few games like Bloodstained that I will not play on Switch because of unacceptable performance. Hmm.

So, so tempted. And today marks the start of 9 whole days off work...

Can I get used to back being "A" and confirm being "B"!? 😅 I hated it when Sony flipped the controls for internation audiences.
I mean worrying about the sustainability of GamePass is a valid concern, but I think it's way less of a concern than the AAAA way that game developers work in nowadays. At the very least, Microsoft leverages its new studios to make smaller, more compact games with a lot of variety. I think thats way more sustainable.

I know for a fact that Indie developers really eat from GamePass. From what we know, GamePass basically makes indie games have all development costs covered on day 0, and then some. Indies are really benefiting from it.

And then micro transactions and stuff like that.... GamePass really isn't going to make much of a difference because developers are already doing it. GamePass or no GamePass. So again, I think it's not much of an issue.

In terms of controls. I can say that I quite hate Sony's default controls too, especially as someone who grew up with PS1. However, the Xbox controller I got really used to really quickly. I think it's because how different the buttons feel with their shape, but it feels distinct enough that it was really easy to program that the bottom button is A or confirm.

My view on Xbox since brand inception ranged from seeing it as a heavy-handed joke of a console (OG), to complete indifference (One S). Series X is the first Xbox I've decided to pick up and it's easily my favourite dedicated home console. On top of that, I cannot relate harder to that Hard-Drive article 'Game Pass subscriber trying his absolute best not to sound like a Microsoft shill'.

As for Series S? I may very well get one for a separate room so that my wife and I can play online co-op titles where couch co-op isn't available. An understated beast of a machine it seems.

I'm tempted not to get a PS5 for most of the generation just because it feels excessive after owning a Switch and XSX. In all likelihood its Sony's vice grip on Final Fantasy that'll push me over

Last edited:
Been also happy with my Series S. Got an 8bitdo media remote the other day and it was a great investment.

I’ve considered picking up a Series S on and off, but I already have access to Game Pass on PC and xCloud (on a dedicated phone with controller), so having a separate console hooked up to a TV doesn’t seem worthwhile to me. I don’t have anything in particular against MS or the Xbox brand — the 360 is one of my favorite consoles of all time, behind only the GBA, I had an OG Xbox as well, and I admire the design of both the Series S and Series X.

But I have zero interest in FPSes and sports games, and have already purchased just about everything else on Game Pass/Xbox that I actually like (e.g., Nier Automata, AI: Somnium Files, Guacamelee, Undertale). So Game Pass, for me, is mostly for playing newer/mediocre indies (and playing on my phone + controller instead of being tethered to my desktop/TV).

Certainly a console would be better for some, but for others I’d recommend giving Xbox Cloud Streaming a go. It’s actually really fast and stable now.

Amazing write up. If I get an xbox im almost sure it'll be a series S as I own zero physical xbox games.

Love the metaphor of being a kid again, not having to worry about reviews or price or anything and just letting yourself be surprised. I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's totally true. Game Pass let me try a lot of games that I was interested in but would skip under normal circumstances, either because reception was a bit mixed or because I couldn't justify spending on so many games

I do worry if GP is sustainable and I do hope indie devs benefit from it and it's a sustainable source of revenue for them. I pretty much abhor paid DLC and microtransaction, pay-to-win mechanics etc., and I fear a future where GP doesn't provide enough revenue so devs/publishers force this shit into their games.
I don't think you have to worry about this at all. We've had multiple accounts of indie devs saying that their sales actually increased after going on Game Pass. And this is on top of whatever licensing fee they already get from Microsoft

I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying your Xbox Series S, @Lozjam! That's a really cool early Christmas present to get. I had an original Xbox and 360 but heavily fell off the brand for several years as it became associated with the beige shooter-type games that @Pineapple Pizza mentioned. (BTW, Pineapple Pizza, you should totally get an Xbox console with that gift card!)

Anyhoo, I got really interested in Xbox again with the release of Ori. I managed to get a good deal on an OG Xbox One in late 2016. We absolutely loved Ori, even more than I ever could have imagined. Since then Xbox has been our console of choice for many amazing indies like Yoku's Island Express, Wuppo Super Lucky's Tale and Kyub. I've also seen indies I've loved on Switch come to Game Pass like Snake Pass, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair and Bug Fables. I plan to upgrade to a Series console once the majority of the indies I'm interested in come to those systems and not Xbox One. And BTW, my most anticipated game for Xbox at the moment is Tunic. I played the demo earlier this year and found it really tough but also engrossing and engaging. I think it has the potential to be amazing, and I made a thread about it here:

Anyway loving the good vibes in this thread!

I’ve had mine since launch. It’s been a great gamepass machine and companion to our Switches as a family.

For all the online console waring et all the system itself has been light years better than anything we had last gen PS/Xbox wise. Is a Series X or PS5? No, but in practice it hasn’t mattered.

Plus as others have said in this thread your actual setup won’t be you having an S and X side by side like when you watch an online comparison video.

I was big into Xbox throughout the 360 years and in retrospect think the OG is a pretty sick console too, though the worst of its generation aside from the DreamCast. I actually stopped caring about the brand when all of the exclusives started coming to PC. I bought an Xbox One because I had so much Rock Band DLC that it made more sense to buy an X1 than rebuy it on PlayStation, and also enjoyed some exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and Rare Replay. But it stopped making sense to use it when I had a PC that was just as capable as it (and now much more capable). I have no interest in the Series S or Gamepass because I think subscription services are bad for gaming as they devalue games, among other reasons (I think Netflix did this for movies FWIW) and already have a huge backlog anyways (and have enough money to the point where I'd rather throw down 60$ to try out a game and own it than subscribe to a service where I don't have any form of ownership). That being said despite this I'm glad people are still enjoying the Series S and Gamepass. When they were first announced I questioned who the audience would be but I guess there's a pretty substantial one and it's cool ya'll are opening yourselves up to a new world of games.

Last edited:
One thing I will say about the Xbox brand is that it must be confusing for parents and grandparents, especially if some of them couldn't get their heads around Wii U being a distinct console and not an add-on.

Even I had to look twice and thrice at the games in my local supermarket. Xbox One games you can play on Series X/S alongside Xbox Series X/S games that are also compatible with Xbox One... In very similar cases... A real head scratcher. The naming convention I'm sure is a well-worn topic but man alive is it also strange having Xbox One S and X and Xbox Series S and X. I'm not even going to try to suss out Microsoft's rationale.

Yeah I'm quite happy with my S too, I got it at launch week but just recently I sent it to MS to fix a problem with 360 games (I thought it would fix itself, never happen lol), but now that issue is solved I can finally enjoy games I miss during the 360 and PS3 generation.

It's a shame the BC program won't add more games, but I hope they can still release resolution or performance updates for the OG and 360 games. Still don't stop me to play Dead Space haha it look quite good at a 4K TV even if it's running at 720p resolution, the game holds pretty well wow

The lack of gyro aiming is the reason why I haven't bought a Series S, and yes I'm 100% serious

I've played more games on Series X than any previous Xbox or PlayStation because of game pass. If you get that, I think the console is well worth it.

Series S is a fantastic machine, and the sheer value for money (especially when coupled with Gamepass) is impossible to beat. Controller is top notch too.

I would pay illegal amounts of money for Nintendo’s library to get the same BC treatment as what Microsoft have on offer for their OG Xbox and 360 games!

I bought a Series X, though I rarely use it for much more than Twitter.

The reason I did so? Gamepass and MS's dedication to BC. I also got three years of Ultimate using the Gold upgrade and foreign gold prices.

When it comes in handy ironically is when my nephew wants a treat and gets to play shooters and racers and sea of thieves when he comes over instead of the Switch games we play all the time.

Back
Top Bottom