• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox The Verge: "Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles"

Dakhil

2010 experience points!
Founder
Microsoft has stopped manufacturing all Xbox One consoles. The software giant originally discontinued the Xbox One X and digital Xbox One S ahead of the Xbox Series X launch, then quietly stopped manufacturing the Xbox One S at the end of 2020, leaving retailers to sell out their remaining stock.

"To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020," says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.

Microsoft's confirmation comes just as a Bloomberg report suggested Sony had planned to end PS4 production at the end of 2021, but that the company will now manufacture around a million PS4 consoles in 2022. Sony has confirmed PS4 production is still ongoing, amid struggles by both Microsoft and Sony to meet demand for their latest Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles.
Microsoft seems able to meet demand for the $299 Xbox Series S, though. At the time of publishing, the Xbox Series S is in stock at both Amazon in the UK and Best Buy in the US. Speaking just after the launch of the Xbox Series X / S in 2020, Xbox chief Phil Spencer told The Verge that the company had built more Xbox Series X consoles than Series S, but that ultimately the lower price point of the Series S would win out.

"We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X," said Spencer. That's a key reason for why we're seeing steady Xbox Series S stock, alongside Microsoft's decision to quietly discontinue the Xbox One S in favor of its next-gen consoles.

It is called Xbox one because one person bought it lol!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!!!!!!!

I’m genuinely very glad they seem to have course corrected with the Series units. I love my series X a LOT.

Liked my Xbox One X a lot, very premium console. Just wish it had aimed more for 4K60, rather than 4K30.
They were in a difficult spot because of the CPU architecture, but yeah, the Xbox One X is an impressive console, especially on the GPU front. Series S is super cool but if the GPU was closer in power to the One X it would be a killer product.

Anyway, RIP Xbox One, a flawed console but I had a lot of fun in Titanfall 2014.

They have no need for a cheaper older model. They managed to make a cheaper current gen model. It was a brilliant move.

Not surprised to see Series S quickly replace it, but being reminded of it does make me view their shipment numbers a little differently. PS4 numbers aren't big anymore, but it's enough to change things from "PS5 hardware is somewhat above Xbox Series" to "PlayStation hardware is probably nearly twice that of Xbox hardware".

My brother-in-law loves his Xbox One. Microsoft is definitely having a better generation this time though.

Since they are able to keep up demand with Series S's I think Microsoft has the smart move.

Overall I think that this generation will be won or lost by availability, not demand. And that's why Nintendo wants to stick with the Switch for a good long while before things go back to normal.

If they could somehow get the S down to $250 by the holidays it could be killer. That or some kind of bundle beyond just the extras in Fortnite. Like another Minecraft bundle with the Series S would kill IMO.

I won't be purchasing Series S/X and would prefer to have Xbox One X for one reason: Kinect support. I enjoy Just Dance series as a workout and not having a joy-con strapped to my hand or a phone to hold is excellent. If they would have just released an adapter for full backwards compatibility it would be great, but won't happen.

Not surprising. They have a cheaper option with the XSS to sell, unlike Sony, so they don't really need to make a small handful of XB1s

Every week or so I think to myself, “Y’know, I should get an Xbox Series S for my GamePass subscription.”

And then I realize I’ve got a PC and mobile device that I could use for GamePass. And that I’ve already bought/played everything I’m interested in on the platform, and neither my parent nor my kids have any interest in any Xbox games. :/

But I do admire the design of the Series S.

Farewell Xbone.

Can't say you were a great console, but your shortcomings taught Microsoft some valuable lessons, and your successor is better for it.

the Xbox Series S is in stock at both Amazon in the UK and Best Buy in the US.
Uh, not anymore. Currently.
r1NVlj5.png

9EkC1SV.png

It'll probably correct itself in about a day or two, though. There certainly does seem to be less general demand for it than the X.

Cheerio Bone. You were a great console that never recovered from the mauling you took in your unveiling conference.

No console has ever had a better range of driving games that you had.

They were in a difficult spot because of the CPU architecture, but yeah, the Xbox One X is an impressive console, especially on the GPU front. Series S is super cool but if the GPU was closer in power to the One X it would be a killer product.

Anyway, RIP Xbox One, a flawed console but I had a lot of fun in Titanfall 2014.
It’s more so the memory situation I think that is holding the series S back, as it’s GPU performance wise should be able to trade blows with the One X GPU very well, but the One X has a higher bit and memory bandwidth situation than the Series S. And more RAM as well.

Back
Top Bottom