• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The TimeSplitters Community Hangout

Oheao

Workers of the world, unite!
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
1200px-TimeSplittersLogoSeries.svg.png

Welcome to the TimeSplitters community hangout! Where you can discuss all things TimeSplitters

What is TimeSplitters?

TimeSplitters is a first-person shooter franchise known mainly for its wide cast of characters, fast-paced gameplay and plethora of modes. It features a time-travelling storyline which allows for many different themes, including alien-like settings, Wild West, modern times, and even some horror atmospheres.
hqdefault.jpg

There are three titles in the series: TimeSplitters (2000), TimeSplitters 2 (2002) and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (2005). The original was a PlayStation 2 exclusive but the latter two also a release for the GameCube and Xbox. While the second one was available as an easter egg in Homefront: The Revolution, they have not been fully released on modern platforms.

The series has been in limbo since the commercial disappointment of Future Perfect and the bankruptcy of Free Radical, but now Free Radical has been reformed and there is supposedly a new title in the works. However, that's something that I'll only believe when I see it. Until then, it's time for us to reminisce about a great, if dated gaming franchise!​

I was playing the TimeSplitters games last year during the lockdown, and I must say that they're still very enjoyable. However 1 and 2 definitely have an aiming system that isn't used anymore where you aim by moving the gun around the screen instead of it always being centred, however Future Perfect adopted the more modern style as its default. I may have to go back to beat all the levels in TS1 and TS2 because they can get very difficult, especially on harder difficulties.

Timesplitters 2 is my favorite FPS. Just a perfect mix of unlockables, difficulty options, game modes.

Future Perfect was the most fun I had in multi-player but the single player stuff just wasn't on the same level.

I hope we get a collection for modern consoles/modern multi-player. I don't really want a new one though, I think it would probably not be good enough.

Timesplitters 2 is my favorite FPS. Just a perfect mix of unlockables, difficulty options, game modes.

Future Perfect was the most fun I had in multi-player but the single player stuff just wasn't on the same level.

I hope we get a collection for modern consoles/modern multi-player. I don't really want a new one though, I think it would probably not be good enough.
I have trouble deciding which TimeSplitters is my favourite, I think they are all unique in their own ways, especially the SP. TS1 was essentially capture the flag, TS2 was GoldenEye/Perfect Dark-esque in their objectives and Future Perfect was more like a modern, narrative-driven story. I hope we get a modern collection too, though they were very vague in what they meant when they said they were plotting the future of TS.
replaying timesplitters 1 last week
I am trying to finish TS1 with melee only
TS1 melee only? I can't even imagine doing that, Mansion on Hard is going to be a nightmare.

I have trouble deciding which TimeSplitters is my favourite, I think they are all unique in their own ways, especially the SP. TS1 was essentially capture the flag, TS2 was GoldenEye/Perfect Dark-esque in their objectives and Future Perfect was more like a modern, narrative-driven story. I hope we get a modern collection too, though they were very vague in what they meant when they said they were plotting the future of TS.

TS1 melee only? I can't even imagine doing that, Mansion on Hard is going to be a nightmare.
finished easy I am now attempting normal run
space station is hard even in easy with melee

yes I finished all trilogy with some platinum / gold trophies and all cheats. except for Ts future perfect MP awards.
Ah, so you have the experience then at least. Well I hope it goes well!

Oh man, when I heard about the mod that unlocks TF2 in Homefront I absolutely made sure to pick it up when it was on sale for pennies. Been enjoying the game on PC while playing with an Xbox controller but man I wish it had local multiplayer available.

Oh man, when I heard about the mod that unlocks TF2 in Homefront I absolutely made sure to pick it up when it was on sale for pennies. Been enjoying the game on PC while playing with an Xbox controller but man I wish it had local multiplayer available.
How is the game on PC? I assume that since it wasn't meant to be fully playable that it's a bit buggy?

How is the game on PC? I assume that since it wasn't meant to be fully playable that it's a bit buggy?

Truth be told it performs reasonably well. I think there were a few graphical glitches and one or two modes are inaccessible, but it runs 1080p60 widescreen, and if you connect a PS4 or Xbox controller the input commands change automatically as well as the corresponding face button images, and all the story mission levels are playable. If you do get Homefront, there's a mod out there that bypasses all the hoops you have to jump through and can also delete 40GB of unused files if you strictly want to play TS2

Truth be told it performs reasonably well. I think there were a few graphical glitches and one or two modes are inaccessible, but it runs 1080p60 widescreen, and if you connect a PS4 or Xbox controller the input commands change automatically as well as the corresponding face button images, and all the story mission levels are playable. If you do get Homefront, there's a mod out there that bypasses all the hoops you have to jump through and can also delete 40GB of unused files if you strictly want to play TS2
i think there is an issue with power up in multiplayer

My first playthrough of Future Perfect was co-op. Little did I know it skipped all the cutscenes if you did so.
My 2nd playthrough was a blast, the narrative-driven story and the snappy gameplay with goofy cutscenes was all I needed as a teen, especially coming from the N64 with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Also convincing my parents to let me buy TS2 even tho it was rated M because it was pretty cartoony... then them buying me Future Perfect and loading up the Lt. Christine Malone character select animation 😂

The time spend playing with friends in MP and coop must have been in the hundreds of hours. Wish some talented studio give it the revival it deserves.

Also convincing my parents to let me buy TS2 even tho it was rated M because it was pretty cartoony... then them buying me Future Perfect and loading up the Lt. Christine Malone character select animation 😂

It was actually rated T. Future Perfect was M.

Future Perfect is still one of my favorite FPS games ever. And TS2 is basically the last game of its kind.

I loved Timesplitter 2. Future Perfect was also great.

In a way, TS2 was GoldenEye 007 / Perfect Dark for the GameCube generation. And Future Perfect felt like they added more Halo-isms to the formula with a more unique story.

It is a shame that Free Radical followed up that project with a few bad hits and caused their closure. And now I suspect whatever reboot it gets will miss Nintendo platforms for the obvious reasons.

Well I wasn't expecting to see this many responses. Nice to see there are still a few people into the TS franchise on here.

It was actually rated T. Future Perfect was M.

Future Perfect is still one of my favorite FPS games ever. And TS2 is basically the last game of its kind.
Hmm maybe it was "I can play this game! the last one was T and it's fine!" and then that happened 😅

Time Splitters 2 and Future Perfect were my most played GC games. I put over 1,000 hours into both between the single player, building stages, and doing multiplayer with friends and family. The story mode of Future Perfect is under-appreciated, one of my favorite fps campaigns ever.

Well I wasn't expecting to see this many responses. Nice to see there are still a few people into the TS franchise on here.
I was surprised to see a ST pop up for this, so thank you for taking the time to put it together!

Really happy to see so many other people who were into TimeSplitters as well, it provided so much mileage for my gaming circles over the years both in co-op and the multiplayer modes. We would have quite a few nights getting together primarily to play Future Perfect MP, and it was actually a great reprieve for a lot of people I knew who had struggled with titles like Halo 2 when it came to console FPS experiences.

Time Splitters 2 and Future Perfect were my most played GC games. I put over 1,000 hours into both between the single player, building stages, and doing multiplayer with friends and family. The story mode of Future Perfect is under-appreciated, one of my favorite fps campaigns ever.
Oh man, I nearly forgot about stage builder. I remember putting so much effort to creating this pyramid that was an absolute labyrinth maze of seven levels, and my dumb favourite trap was the middle column if you got to the top of the pyramid, there was a power up bonus over a trapfloor that meant you fell from the top to a spike pit at the bottom lol

I see most people here played 2 and FP, but I think the OG is worth checking out as well. it may be lacking in content but the SP levels are fun to play in short bursts.

Oh man, I’m preeeetty sure NeoTokyo is the level I’ve played the absolute most in my time playing video games. I used to play that one level daily, in addition to playing MP, and building stages.

No not the robot!

My first playthrough of Future Perfect was co-op. Little did I know it skipped all the cutscenes if you did so.
My 2nd playthrough was a blast, the narrative-driven story and the snappy gameplay with goofy cutscenes was all I needed as a teen, especially coming from the N64 with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Was very surprised when I played it through again single player and suddenly there was a bunch of extra content.

I love all 3 of those games and the soundtracks are top notch:

Disco A Go GO was pretty much my soundtrack for any MP.

My favourite TimeSplitters song may be the Spaceways track from the original:

I JUST SAW TIMESPLITTERS FUTURE PERFECT GAME COVER IN THE BACKGROUND VISUAL WHEEL OF XBOX 20TH TALKING ABOUT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

LET'S FUKKEN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

E: Source

Last edited:
Love my Series S for this reason. Besides having Game Pass, Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect are the only games I have bought for it. Let's gooooo

Not much in the way of news, but I'm glad to hear the first QA was a success and between all the known and reported issues they've already been resolved. At this point it sounds like the core gameplay is nearing completion and it's just a matter of finishing up the art direction stuff to take a load off the existing volunteers.

Regardless of TimeSplitters officially making a comeback or Rewind finally seeing release, it's going to be great seeing what news is brought forth in the next couple of years

New update for timesplitters rewind :

Feature creep must have been annoying as hell to wrangle, but glad to know they're focused on bugs now and remaining art to be completed

It does drive me insane though the amount of people bitching and moaning about a free game done completely by volunteers taking too long to release. The cognitive dissonance is maddening

Honestly it's been so long I almost forgot about it.

Hmm, I didn't see that, I'm still at the point that I'll only believe a new TimeSplitters when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom