• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data The Splatoon series has now sold over 30 million copies

mazi

picross pundit
with today's update to splatoon 3's sales, the series combined sales have now surpassed 30 million copies:
  • Splatoon (released in May 2015) - 4.95M as of March 2023
  • Splatoon 2 (released in July 2017) - 13.60M as of December 2022
  • Splatoon 3 (released in September 2022) - 11.71M as of December 2023
which brings the total to 30.26 million. pretty good for a new-ish IP.

Last edited:
Nogami the GOAT

image.png

Surely they've made enough money to be able to afford servers now right? I can't stand how slow the online is anymore.

And all of this while flopping in the west, thank god foamstar is releasing soon to pick up all the western fans that splatoon let down, Nintendo really dropped the ball with this 30+ mil selling ip.

Wonder what they'll do to make Splatoon 4 feel a bit fresher. I'm willing to jump back in, but only if there's enough of a step up.
I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking—the strength of Splatoon is in its core gameplay loop being engaging and simple, and I doubt they'd want to change that too much. Maybe there'll be some central gimmick to stage design or a new mode or new traversal stuff, but I think the sequels are always going to be largely iterative so as not to turn off the existing playerbase.

That said I think at this point they could do Splatoon spinoffs and I'm surprised the Switch generation hasn't seen one. Maybe something focused solely on a singleplayer adventure to sate that part of the playerbase, or a rhythm game to make use of the series' deep soundtrack and worldbuilding.

And all of this while flopping in the west, thank god foamstar is releasing soon to pick up all the western fans that splatoon let down, Nintendo really dropped the ball with this 30+ mil selling ip.
Yeah. This IP should be bigger, but it is what it is.

Excellent. Splatoon 3 would be even higher if it had online that worked more than 50% of the time.

Wonder what they'll do to make Splatoon 4 feel a bit fresher. I'm willing to jump back in, but only if there's enough of a step up.
Battlefield style modes: huge maps and vehicles. Imagine 12 vs 12 inky chaos.

I do find it crazy that there are zero spinoffs. If Splatoon came out in the 90s we’d have three sub-series and one of them would’ve been handled entirely by Hudson Soft.

Ubi should’ve made Splatoon Squid Squad instead of Mario+Rabbids 2.

wild guess that feels a little un-Nintendo, but something like a map editor/Forge mode

A lot of the single-player levels use pretty modular "block-y" pieces, and they also have all those random assets made for the locker decoration thing, so maybe leverage that stuff to let players make their own maps and game types

Big Team Turf War would be good fun. So would a series of SP-only games.
And hey, now that Fortnite is bringing back plastic instruments, Rock Band Splatoon!

I have Splatoon 1 to thank for actually getting me into console shooters because of gyro. (PC has mouse + keyboard which is actually good) To this day, the series is still the best gyro implementation in a shooter ever.

Goated with the sauce.

I think after Side Order I'm going to wait for something new from the Splatoon world. There's so much potential even though PvP is still the main draw.

I'd like to see new Ranked/Anarchy modes and more ambitious stage design that leans into dynamic elements like Mahi Mahi's water levels, or Shifty Stations' gimmicks. Keen for some 'course correction' on Splatfests, map design, gameplay speed, as well as the technical aspects of online play.

I'd also be so keen to see a new challenge mode that is less combat and more of a platforming test/battle. Separate the teams on parallel stages and give both teams the same weapon set. Then introduce puzzle elements into stage design to make teammates work together to navigate through it. In my mind, this borrows a lot of stage design from single player stages. Win conditions could vary, be it total ink coverage, transferring the most golden eggs from one spot to another, or racing through the stage the fastest.

Do they keep bringing all the past idols, antagonists, and agents through, or set the game further in the future so the current characters and lore can be left behind to make room for new?

My first Splatoon was Splaoon 1 on the Wii U. It was a fun game, still got the disc. The only Splat game on disc. very special

Dunno what they could do for the mainline, besides the obvious leeway of a graphical jump to the level no previous Splatoon sequel had, as well as just adding a lot more modes and content, but I think a single player spin off could work

An open world game even. And I know what most are thinking, about how Splatoon traversal would not work with open fields and shit and that is right, but I’m not thinking open fields, I’m thinking a convoluted, tightly packed urban setting with lots of verticality, with nooks and alleyway and various rooftaps and walls and inkable surfaces everywhere. Basically like the hub world 100x times the size and complexity.

Make it about Inkling/ Octing resistance in a city rules by DJ Octavio or some other despot. Just full on Jet Set Radio vibe.

Dunno what they could do for the mainline, besides the obvious leeway of a graphical jump to the level no previous Splatoon sequel had, as well as just adding a lot more modes and content, but I think a single player spin off could work

An open world game even. And I know what most are thinking, about how Splatoon traversal would not work with open fields and shit and that is right, but I’m not thinking open fields, I’m thinking a convoluted, tightly packed urban setting with lots of verticality, with nooks and alleyway and various rooftaps and walls and inkable surfaces everywhere. Basically like the hub world 100x times the size and complexity.

Make it about Inkling/ Octing resistance in a city rules by DJ Octavio or some other despot. Just full on Jet Set Radio vibe.
Yeah, the series can grow in a single-player direction. As for multiplayer, there is a lot of untapped potential. A Fornite-esque mode would be interesting. Add vehicles fueled by ink. A stealth mode where you only play in squid form. I felt disappointed by Splat3 and its conservative approach, considering there is a lot they could do.

I mean, they could also simply continue releasing these rather iterative sequels, and I wouldn't mind too much. It'd simply mean I'd only buy every second or third entry, then, because otherwise it's growing a bit stale to me. And that's not to say the current gameplay loop isn't great already; but I think a bit more variety / experimentation would be nice to see. Slowing down the releases (like one new mainline entry every console generation) and giving that version of the game a longer support cycle would be good in my book as well.

Since the Squid Beatz minigame was not included in Splatoon 3 like it was in the previous two entries, it obviously means they're making a full on retail release Splatoon rhythm game with music spanning all three games. It's totally not me sharing my irrational hopes on the internet, I know it's going to happen.

Probably.
Maybe.
It's not impossible.
:(

Back
Top Bottom