• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, it's not as good as 64 or Galaxy

It's better then 64 or Galaxy.
Amen brother!
I feel kinda sorry for the Starfield devs lol

Not only do they have to make up for Redfall, but they're pretty much expected to be Microsoft's equivalent to massive high-scoring juggernauts like TotK, GoW: Ragnarok and, probably, Spider-Man 2. Mostly because they were bought out half-way through development and were, in turn, thrown head-first into the console wars.
I fully expect the game to be in the mid to upper 80s. Which will probably feel like a mid 90s game for Microsoft lol.

But the pressure is way too high on that game and those devs. It really feels like make or break time for Microsoft.

Anyway, back on topic.

I got to ask something on Gene Park's Q&A and discovered that there are no volume sliders in the settings, so hopefully the music is a little more prevalent throughout.

And he feels it was the right call to reuse the overworld. Seeing some mixed feelings on Hyrule's reuse but he made a good point; would've been a waste of talent and resources to have to make an entire new world from scratch. The reuse of the world is probably the reason why the actual content is so much more plentiful and prevalent this time around, which has been my ultimate want from TOTK all along so my hype knows no bounds at the moment.

Stoked to see Nintendo has done it again. Best in the biz.

536.jpg

no review copy?

yvpcxiqhirm81.jpg

I feel kinda sorry for the Starfield devs lol

Not only do they have to make up for Redfall, but they're pretty much expected to be Microsoft's equivalent to massive high-scoring juggernauts like TotK, GoW: Ragnarok and, probably, Spider-Man 2. Mostly because they were bought out half-way through development and were, in turn, thrown head-first into the console wars.
I think the Starfield devs will be fine because 4.6s after release someone will have modded Morrowind into it so we'll still have something great to play either way.

Anyway, back on topic.

I got to ask something on Gene Park's Q&A and discovered that there are no volume sliders in the settings, so hopefully the music is a little more prevalent throughout.

And he feels it was the right call to reuse the overworld. Seeing some mixed feelings on Hyrule's reuse but he made a good point; would've been a waste of talent and resources to have to make an entire new world from scratch. The reuse of the world is probably the reason why the actual content is so much more plentiful and prevalent this time around, which has been my ultimate want from TOTK all along so my hype knows no bounds at the moment.

I think an important thing to remember is the vast, vast majority of people (myself included) played through Breath of the Wild once in 50-60 hours six years ago, and that was it. There's really not a ton of people who have played it for hundreds of hours and know that ginormous map inside out. Heck I could probably start a new game on it today and it would feel largely like I hadn't played it before.

I think an important thing to remember is the vast, vast majority of people (myself included) played through Breath of the Wild once in 50-60 hours six years ago, and that was it. There's really not a ton of people who have played it for hundreds of hours and know that ginormous map inside out. Heck I could probably start a new game on it today and it would feel largely like I hadn't played it before.
This is true! There is a wide range of people from those who played for ~500 hours to those who played for ~50 hours, and it sounds like both groups will be rewarded. even more impressive, tbh.

What if funny is that 3D GTA was inspired by 3D Mario and 3D Zelda.

So well, they are the holy trinity of videogames in 3D space lol.

In second tier I would include Sony big trio, reboot GoW, Uncharted and TLOU

of course they are various games that also extremely praised titles like elden ring, persona 5, skyrim, metroid prime 1, resident evil 4

Resident Evil 4 is as influential, if not more, than the Sony big trio. Whenever you play a 3D shooter, you are playing RE4. It is DOOM levels of influential. I hope Tim Rogers makes a review of it at some point.

Kinda surprised by the lack of video reviews on my youtube sub page. Only one review and I follow maybe 4 or 5 accounts that always put up reviews at embargo. Maybe just a time constraint issue rather than no review copy lol.

Very true. I played it for like 80 hours but that was five years ago plus. I recently started up a new save and I was surprised by how so much of the game felt new to me even though I had played it before.

Kinda surprised by the lack of video reviews on my youtube sub page. Only one review and I follow maybe 4 or 5 accounts that always put up reviews at embargo. Maybe just a time constraint issue rather than no review copy lol.
if you're going in spoiler free, don't search for it. i mentioned a few pages ago but usual suspects have the final boss and ending in the thumbnail.

the IGN Review vid has LOTS of spoilery new footage

I had a YouTube notification pop up for a Livestream from GameXplain and clicked on it without looking at the title and didn't realize it was a Livestream of playing the game. Luckily it was just starting and I was able to nope out before the title screen came up. I'm so glad I only have to dodge spoilers for... 13 more hours... 😭

Disagree for multiple reasons, but just for sake i'm going to spare the details. Maybe create a new thread with a poll, i'm curious to see what the general opinion actually is.

19068-CEA-514-F-4-F92-9748-2-BB6-C894-D8-A0.jpg

if you're going in spoiler free, don't search for it. i mentioned a few pages ago but usual suspects have the final boss and ending in the thumbnail.
I typically treat video reviews as audio reviews haha. I just like to listen while I catch up on stuff. But like I'm not done catching up and my brain is upset that I don't have the background noise I planned on having lol. I legit expected to listen to reviews for an hour or so while I was busy.

I typically treat video reviews as audio reviews haha. I just like to listen while I catch up on stuff. But like I'm not done catching up and my brain is upset that I don't have the background noise I planned on having lol. I legit expected to listen to reviews for an hour or so while I was busy.
just be careful! that's all

reading through this, this is a "chronically online" review. like the review mentions the marketing, the debate between new and old zelda fans/dungeons, etc.

i promise i'm not tearing it down because it's a low score. it's a very unserious review.

Thinking of Odyssey and Zelda, now I want the next game to give Link the power to transform into any animal in Hyrule.
This is legit something I've been thinking about for a few days now loll. A game where you play as the literal spirit of the hero. See a seagull in the sky, press a button and you're that seagull. From that vantage point, see a Bokoblin, and then be it.

Don't ask me how you make a Zelda game out of this, I just think it'd be cool.

19068-CEA-514-F-4-F92-9748-2-BB6-C894-D8-A0.jpg

OK but to be fair, the galaxy audience are splitted over 2 games.

I can't believe I requested time off from work to play a 96 MC score game. Was expecting a 99 MC score minimum. Time to cancel the request I guess.

I can't believe I requested time off from work to play a 96 MC score game. Was expecting a 99 MC score minimum. Time to cancel the request I guess.

Calls work
"Hey boss, I'm not going to have that mild cough I was going to call you about tomorrow morning, you can expect me as usual."

I TOOK 2 DAYS OFF AND THIS IS WHAT NINTENDO GIVES ME!?!?! NOT A 97, NOT A 98, NOT A 99, BUT A 96!

THEY DID IT. THEY FUCKING DID IT. AGAIN. Ended up on the higher end of what I expected (94-96) but damn I'm feeling like a fool for not expecting 96 from the start lol. Aonuma, Fujibayashi and the other dozens of hundreds of people that worked on this game, you're all in my heart.

Anyway, back on topic.

The reasons Nintendo gave for reusing the world are completely justified, and honestly, paint the creation of a new world in a negative light at times (in the ask the developer they say that they would’ve ended up with the same type of gameplay if they created a new world)

But like… I can’t see the next game ALSO reusing this same world, so it’ll be kinda awkward for them to reveal that lol

8/10 from NME, I suspect the MC score might drop to a 95 soon if that review wasn't already added. Amazing, amazing scores no matter how you slice it

reading through this, this is a "chronically online" review. like the review mentions the marketing, the debate between new and old zelda fans/dungeons, etc.

i promise i'm not tearing it down because it's a low score. it's a very unserious review.

I was reading some of their other reviews and that's kind of where I'm at. With all due respect to Minecraft Legends I'll press D for doubt on it being a better game than TOTK. But I respect that that's how they reviewed it and that's fine. I just disagree is all. 😁

OK but to be fair, the galaxy audience are splitted over 2 games.
There's no "splitting the vote" for me. Galaxy 2 is a few spots below Galaxy 1 and Odyssey on my best 3D Mario list. I give all 3, Mario 64, and Mario 3D World a 10 though so it's in good company.

I'm not sure if anyone here is planning to do this, but can we please all collectively agree to not send hate to these people over this review? Some of the comments on that tweet are quite nasty, i hope none of you are participating in that. It's okay to criticize but let's just all stay respectful and polite, okay?

The are 2 different games, though. It isn't just "the galaxy audience"
for me, its hard to choose between those 2 as its the main concept that is what is so good. Both nails it on level design, music, atmosphere.
But i'll continue discussing the later on in that mario thread as its not zelda related

I wonder if IGN's review contains pre-patch footage? Just from a rough eye it looked a lot worse than a lot of the gameplay I've seen / the review of DF, similar to the poorly captured preview footage from Ninty.

This is legit something I've been thinking about for a few days now loll. A game where you play as the literal spirit of the hero. See a seagull in the sky, press a button and you're that seagull. From that vantage point, see a Bokoblin, and then be it.

Don't ask me how you make a Zelda game out of this, I just think it'd be cool.
Isn't this just Tchia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom