• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found a review or video review that isn't super spoilery? I'd love to watch a review at lunch time that isn't going to show off some of the crazier, more unexpected stuff.

some stats for mathheads

Can we just take this time to ask why people never put Mario on the level of franchises like Zelda, GTA, and the FromSoft games when talking about game of the generation-like titles? 3D Mario has consistently been among the highest rated games of all time and I’m pretty sure their average is higher than almost any major franchise (depending on if you wanna count 3d land and 3d world). Like Odyssey and both Galaxy games are both 97’s on metacritic and I don’t think there’s a single review under a 9 for either galaxy or galaxy 2.
Maybe people aren’t big on bing bing wahoo but I stand by the fact that mainline Mario is probably the consistently best franchise in history.

wow some people really hate mario odyssey in the comments

I cannot quantify how much I fucking hate this:

image.png

Can we just take this time to ask why people never put Mario on the level of franchises like Zelda, GTA, and the FromSoft games when talking about game of the generation-like titles? 3D Mario has consistently been among the highest rated games of all time and I’m pretty sure their average is higher than almost any major franchise (depending on if you wanna count 3d land and 3d world). Like Odyssey and both Galaxy games are both 97’s on metacritic and I don’t think there’s a single review under a 9 for either galaxy or galaxy 2.
Maybe people aren’t big on bing bing wahoo but I stand by the fact that mainline Mario is probably the consistently best franchise in history.
I think it's a holdover from the "kiddy Nintendo" thing. I genuinely don't know why otherwise. Maybe people think less of it since the character appears on backpacks and lunch boxes and stuff? But I agree; it's probably the most consistent video game franchise to ever exist and Mario Odyssey is the peak of them. It deserves to be in the conversation.

Joseph Anderson is a complete charlatan that obliterated gaming discourse with shit like this. And his fans that do this shit like a horde of mindless barking seals.

I'm not a fan of his videos, it's a lot of over analysing things that ultimately are unimportant and not relevant. At the same time at least he manages to keep his videos under 2 hours unlike some game design analysis videos which are 12 hours long :)

I watched a couple of minutes of the IGN review, and it was way too much spoilery for me.
Didnt want to know some of that stuff - so heads up for that review.

I'm probably done with reading some reviews now, I am all good :>

I mean, people make errors too. But yeah mario definitely deserves the same amount of respect as Zelda and GTA and FromSoft games, some time I'd say it deserves more. I think some look at all the mario games as 1 instead of differentiating between 2d 3d kart sports and party and they devalue the series because of it. But when a 3d mario arrives it's usually met with the same grandstanding ovation of those games.

Don’t tell anyone, but I like Odyssey more than BOTW…

I'm pretty sure 3d mario DOES get the praise, BOTW was the only reason Odyssey didn't win GOTY. 3D world also unfortantely released the same year as GTA V and TLOU

What if funny is that 3D GTA was inspired by 3D Mario and 3D Zelda.

So well, they are the holy trinity of videogames in 3D space lol.

In second tier I would include Sony big trio, reboot GoW, Uncharted and TLOU

of course they are various games that also extremely praised titles like elden ring, persona 5, skyrim, metroid prime 1, resident evil 4

I think it's a holdover from the "kiddy Nintendo" thing. I genuinely don't know why otherwise. Maybe people think less of it since the character appears on backpacks and lunch boxes and stuff? But I agree; it's probably the most consistent video game franchise to ever exist and Mario Odyssey is the peak of them. It deserves to be in the conversation.
If I had the power, I would put Sunshine up there. But I also don't want to be the cause of the end of the world.

Edit: oh, I was supposed to quote @Superyoshiom post , but I guess this is okay as well.

Because Mario isn't "serious." It's a completely fun character with games that developed to feel like a theme park if that makes sense.

Mario will always be looked down at compared to Zelda and that's fine. People don't want to enjoy the most pure video games that are made that's fine with me lol. It's the ultimate 3D Mario game..

I’ve been wanting to watch this for a while since I enjoy seeing more critical takes on games I enjoy from time to time, but this video has unironically been used as fuel for flame wars on 4chan lol. I wonder how much of it is genuine criticism and how much of it is just that it’s not as good as Galaxy or 64.

Anyone wanna give a tl;dw?

I definitely think it's a question of theming and "texture", for lack of a better word. Mario is unquestionably one of the GOATs but the enjoyment people derive from the games is very different from how one experiences Zelda or Dark Souls. There's something intriguing and mysterious about those worlds that Mario simply doesn't have, even if he runs circles around them in other areas.

again, the only reason Odyssey didn't win GOTY was cause of BOTW

it also sold 25 MILLION, which is the highest any 3d mario ever

Galaxy definitely gets about as much praise as any other 95-98 game gets. It’s pretty common in discussions of the best game of all time and especially the best game of the 7th generation. And of course Mario 64 is one of the most iconic games in history.

It’s 3D World and Odyssey specifically that aren’t mentioned as much (Sunshine too but that game doesn’t deserve it, and I say this as a fan of the game)

I’ve been wanting to watch this for a while since I enjoy seeing more critical takes on games I enjoy from time to time, but this video has unironically been used as fuel for flame wars on 4chan lol. I wonder how much of it is genuine criticism and how much of it is just that it’s not as good as Galaxy or 64.

“there’s too many moons”

I definitely think it's a question of theming and "texture", for lack of a better word. Mario is unquestionably one of the GOATs but the enjoyment people derive from the games is very different from how one experiences Zelda or Dark Souls. There's something intriguing and mysterious about those worlds that Mario simply doesn't have, even if he runs circles around them in other areas.
Yessss this is the best explainer of the issue at hand. I really can't take most of these people seriously because of it tbh lmao. Dark Souls/Elden Ring aren't my type of games but damn I'm certainly not going to put them down for what they are lol.
“there’s too many moons”
I hate it lol. Game rewards you doing small and big things. It's perfect for those who want to 100% the game but it also is good for younger and casual gamers. It rewards interacting with the world. Kinda like Super Mario 64. Some of those stars are "meaningless" just like some moons in Odyssey.
Seeing Redfall is comparison is just sad tbh....
That's what gets me when talking about performance. So many modern AAA games struggle with performance. They're just not optimized and there is very little care in optimization. Nintendo is the King of optimization.

Told my girl me and Zelda are hanging on Friday, she's big man now.

Ask if she wants to come along, if she says yes, you need to give her a ring already. And if she already has a ring, she deserves another one.

49 perfect review scores on MC and counting.

What are we expecting from the Edge review, Fami?

I know Eurogamer betrayed me, but i have enough trust in Edge to understand all the nuances that make TotK better than BotW and swoop in with that 10/10.

Seeing Redfall is comparison is just sad tbh....
I feel kinda sorry for the Starfield devs lol

Not only do they have to make up for Redfall, but they're pretty much expected to be Microsoft's equivalent to massive high-scoring juggernauts like TotK, GoW: Ragnarok and, probably, Spider-Man 2. Mostly because they were bought out half-way through development and were, in turn, thrown head-first into the console wars.

I'm not a fan of his videos, it's a lot of over analysing things that ultimately are unimportant and not relevant. At the same time at least he manages to keep his videos under 2 hours unlike some game design analysis videos which are 12 hours long :)
I just looked at his channel and two of his last four videos are like four hours long

You're right, it's not as good as 64 or Galaxy

It's better then 64 or Galaxy.

I feel kinda sorry for the Starfield devs lol

Not only do they have to make up for Redfall, but they're pretty much expected to be Microsoft's equivalent to massive high-scoring juggernauts like TotK, GoW: Ragnarok and, probably, Spider-Man 2. Mostly because they were bought out half-way through development and were, in turn, thrown head-first into the console wars.

Would not be suprised if startfield would be delayed to 2024.

Odyssey having the most half-assed objectives isn't really a minor complaint to be honest ... It'd be one thing if there weren't 1 billion moons as well, but they also constantly reuse gimmicks, and actually populate gimmicks from other worlds into the old ones, making different levels less unique the more you play, which just seems ass backward. None of this is to mention the post-game, which is even worse..

It's a very fun game, but to say it's not on the level of BOTW or Dark Souls would be an ununderstatemen. That being said yeah, Joseph Anderson sucks.

Just to circle back quickly, I understand why we as a collective stopped using the "I don't like thing 'ok'" image, but at the same time when people are like "thing is bad *posts youtube video in place of an actual argument", I think that 'ok' image is 100% justified. You can't be bothered to give me an actual argument, I can't be bothered to give you an actual response.

On odyssey, I didn’t hate it, but it was forgettable to me. Haven’t touch it since I completed it when it was released. It will be interesting to see where they take Mario next.

Btw, considering by the same time BOTW had a 98 and Elden Ring a 97(or 96) Totk will probably have the same drop.
Don't get too attached to the best open critic game because it will probably drop.

because the people who talk about that sort of thing generally only actually care about a very narrow subset of genres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom