• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about the final scores, but I do think a 6 or 7/10 is trolling for clicks only when your other reviews don't match that out. We know Redfall is a bad game. Gameplay, presentation, everything. We know calculator is not a better game than TOTK, also. Yet the two sites that gave those low scores out have Redfall as being 1 point below TOTK, and calculator as having a higher score. That's about as objectively wrong as a subjective score can get when referencing their own scores.

I don't care about the final scores, but I do think a 6 or 7/10 is trolling for clicks only when your other reviews don't match that out. We know Redfall is a bad game. Gameplay, presentation, everything. We know calculator is not a better game than TOTK, also. Yet the two sites that gave those low scores out have Redfall as being 1 point below TOTK, and calculator as having a higher score. That's about as objectively wrong as a subjective score can get when referencing their own scores.
Was it the same reviewer though?

A site is made up of different writers with different opinions.

Im talking about reviews in general, take it easy bro.

As I said, please read our review thread guidelines, as there’s a reason we decided to disallow people just making stuff up to take vague swipes at either reviewers in general or individuals. We welcome people talking about (and criticising!) what reviewers actually said instead.

objectively wrong as a subjective score

danny-devito-jumanji.jpg

6/10 can be a troll when your argument is objectively wrong.

And yes, you can be objectively wrong™ when you say TotK brings nothing new to the table; that it's just BotW again with more map on top (and bottom) of it.

This is wrong. This is dismissive to the game's core mechanics; ignores central aspects that makes TotK fundamentally a different game, for better or for worse.

If your main argument depends on a claim with no substance, then you're either a troll or a bad reviewer.

Yeah, you can give TotK a 6/10, just give me - your reader - a good reason for that. You're as much entitled to give your opinion as I am to scrutinize it.

Last edited:
Famitsu gave it a 40/40. They are the biggest videogame outlet in Japan and they don't count towards Metacritic which is weird considering they used to.

Famitsu review scores are as trustworthy as any site that said "switch pro coming 2020 trust me"

6/10 can be a troll when your argument is objectively wrong.

And yes, you can be objectively wrong™ when you say TotK brings nothing new to the table; that it's just BotW again with more map on top (and bottom) of it.

This is wrong. This is dismissive to the game's core mechanics; ignores central aspects that makes TotK fundamentally a different game, for better or for worse.

If your main argument depends on a claim with no substance, then you're either a troll or a bad reviewer.

Yeah, you can give TotK a 6/10, just give me - your reader - a good reason for that. You're as much entitled to give your opinion as I am to scrutinize it.
I could easily write a 6/10 review for TotK as someone who loves the game and gives it a 10, without pulling out the "it's not like classic zelda" card I've seen some people do. I feel for any review, if your biggest reason for not liking something is because "thing different = bad", it's hard to really get much out of that review.

Famitsu gave it a 40/40. They are the biggest videogame outlet in Japan and they don't count towards Metacritic which is weird considering they used to.
a, famitsu scores shouldn't really be taken seriously. they give some seriously broken games almost perfect scores
b, metacritic hasn't cataloged famitsu reviews since the PS2 days. i can't find it now but i remember reading a while ago that the reason they don't include famitsu is that a lot of the games they review are japan only and aren't cataloged by metacritic at all as they don't receive any other reviews. for any other publication, all their reviews are on meta.

Last edited:
thread is going way off the rails it seems like, we should probably as for it to be locked in a day or two as the new review thread rules suggest.

It's 5 games away from 95. One position above Wind Waker.

a, famitsu scores shouldn't really be taken seriously. they give some seriously broken games almost perfect scores
b, metacritic hasn't cataloged famitsu reviews since the PS2 days. i can't find it now but i remember reading a while ago that the reason the don't include famitsu is that a lot of the games they review are japan only and aren't cataloged by metacritic at all as they don't receive any other reviews. for any other publication, all their reviews are on meta.
It seems the last time metacritic included a review was around 2005.
https://www.metacritic.com/publication/weekly-famitsu

b, metacritic hasn't cataloged famitsu reviews since the PS2 days. i can't find it now but i remember reading a while ago that the reason they don't include famitsu is that a lot of the games they review are japan only and aren't cataloged by metacritic at all as they don't receive any other reviews. for any other publication, all their reviews are on meta.
Famitsu's review scores are just as valud as any other review score. Metacritic not including them but including no name blogs just further makes Metacritic a questionable source.

So...nice to see it reviewing pretty well. Honestly impressed with just how much they've built on top of and added to the game. This, BotW, and Elden Ring are my cream of crop when it comes to open world games

Couple more reviews (only on OC for now, will be on MC soon):

5/5

4.5/5 (9/10)

10/10

These are exclusive to OpenCritic:

10/10

10/10

Edge review still pending, should be up today

Since one week has passed, we are now closing this thread in accordance to the site's review thread policy. We (the staff) want to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Overall, we felt this went much better than expected. Thank you again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom