• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom review copies are out. Prepare for leaks!

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
REMINDER: PLEASE TAG ALL SPOILERS POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

Review copies appear to be out in the wild. This means leaks are imminent.

Yeah it's my time to completely block everything Zelda on social media, hunker down in my bedroom corner, and never see the light until May 12th

Edit: ya nvm

Last edited:
Ngl after how they treated smash leaks I thought for this game they'd get them like 5 days before at best except for like 30 sites

I'm not sure this will lead to any leaks. Review copies are digital codes. A reviewer/outlet would have to be damn dumb to break embargo.
I'm more referring to potential footage. I don't believe the game will get dumped for a little while longer.

It's fairly rare for games to leak via review copies so I'm not expecting anything for a while yet

But the game will probably leak within a week or so

Confirmed no pre-release code for my outlet :(

Might still get a release code but I have my doubts. Nintendo is super strict these days, which I do understand but still a bummer.

This seems pretty soon for review copies, is that normal? Seems like they’re confident
I don't know what's normal, but given how large the game likely is and the fact that the review embargo is probably two weeks from now, this makes sense to me personally. For a point of comparison, I'd want to look at how far in advance reviewers had Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Do we normally get leaks from review copies? I thought it was typically warehouses/retailer copies getting out

Iirc Ign got the original botw review + switch 9 days before it's release and review embargo was 1 day before release...

Tears getting 15 days is interesting but then again all regions are different. Reviews probably gonna launch 1 day before too

This seems pretty soon for review copies, is that normal? Seems like they’re confident
I don't know what's normal, but given how large the game likely is and the fact that the review embargo is probably two weeks from now, this makes sense to me personally. For a point of comparison, I'd want to look at how far in advance reviewers had Xenoblade Chronicles 3.
It's a pretty normal time honestly, and even short compared to XC3 (which was a month or so before launch)

It's a huge game, so it'll make sense they want to give reviewers enough time to plow through it.

I assume Nintendo’s trusted circle is pretty tight at this point, and they can track gameplay progress to identify overlap with leaked info, but anything goes from here on out I guess.

Can’t believe the longest wait between 3D Zelda games is almost over.

I'm assuming it's two weeks from now. Wednesday, May 10th.
That would make sense, and two weeks isn't an overwhelming amount of time but it's pretty decent.

I don't think we'll get leaks until around next week sometime when someone actually gets ahold of the physical game. Similar timeframe to Pokemon S/V

If it’s being released in batches it will be a little while for leaks I would imagine. No one is surely stupid enough to get the game and leak stuff straight away as they won’t be hard to track down.

I'm not sure this will lead to any leaks. Review copies are digital codes. A reviewer/outlet would have to be damn dumb to break embargo.
They have been using digital codes for a while it seems? Apart from stuff like LABO or Ring Fit, which just needs a physical compotent. You just get a code and enter to to the eShop and it let's you download? I even heard Nintendo asks you about serial number of your Switch, so you play on the latest model and not V1.

They have been using digital codes for a while it seems? Apart from stuff like LABO or Ring Fit, which just needs a physical compotent. You just get a code and enter to to the eShop and it let's you download? I even heard Nintendo asks you about serial number of your Switch, so you play on the latest model and not V1.
Correct. A couple of years ago, Nintendo began to require you to only use a Mariko/OLED model for reviews (started around the time Metroid Dread released). The serial number thing has slight variations pending the region but is generally used in most.

I'd bet the mail that contains the digital codes comes with a little PDF "The story of the person who leaked the artbook, and how they're living under a bridge now".

As a little additional "info".

Nah, just a joke. I'm sure (or at least hope) that reviewers are professional enough not to fuck around with the review copy in any way.

Maybe not dumps of the game but footage or story details could leak very soon.

I mean, Nintendo has signaled that they're gonna drop the hammer on you hard for that, too. ^^

There's easier, and way less dangerous, ways to 15 minutes internet fame.

I mean, Nintendo has signaled that they're gonna drop the hammer on you hard for that, too. ^^

There's easier, and way less dangerous, ways to 15 minutes internet fame.
I mean a game reviewer tells their friend, friend makes a reddit burner and now everyone knows the story + final boss. Its wraps

I have to stay strong and not watch any of these leaks.... just 2 more weeks....

Uhm no I will inject every drop of fresh leak directly into my veins. This game is going to be the game of the generation.

I mean a game reviewer tells their friend, friend makes a reddit burner and now everyone knows the story + final boss. Its wraps

You would need to take some more steps to be at least somewhat safe from being tracked back than just a reddit burner account. ^^

And then, you're not able to reel in the 15 minutes internet fame. (Though doing something simply out of spite and being mean isn't something strange for humans on the internet, i know.)

I mean a game reviewer tells their friend, friend makes a reddit burner and now everyone knows the story + final boss
I mean the more steps one takes to obfuscate the source, the less is it possible to come off as legitimate. So in order to not burn yourself with Nintendo you have to put so much distance between yourself and the leak that it just comes across as another 4chan fan fic to most people.

I mean the more steps one takes to obfuscate the source, the less is it possible to come off as legitimate. So in order to not burn yourself with Nintendo you have to put so much distance between yourself and the leak that it just comes across as another 4chan fan fic to most people.
People don't even care if the leak might be fake they still give a bunch of them a lot of attention.

If physical copies are being sent to warehouses this weekend and then shipped to the retailers then an actual leak could potentially happen this weekend in my opinion.

Either way, this will definitely be the last full weekend before all the floodgates break.

Last edited:
If physical copies are being sent to warehouses to be then shipped to the retailers then an actual could potentially happen this weekend in my opinion.

Either way, this will definitely be the last full weekend before all the floodgates break.
I think we're still in the "pretty unlikely" zone for a bit but it's definitely possible now. I think mid next week is more likely though

I think we're still in the "pretty unlikely" zone for a bit but it's definitely possible now. I think mid next week is more likely though

Yup. Also I just realized I wasn't fully awake typing my post, grammar errors everywhere lol.

I meant sent to warehouses/shipped to retailers by *this weekend D:

Heads up, apparently the game has leaked, I think someone has the CE. I haven't seen anything because I'm too scared lol but apparently there's some spoilers on the other forum.

Back
Top Bottom