• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

Isn't gamescom brazil
Anyone else... not the biggest fan of the title?

There was a fan game/fan concept of a Zelda game set in a sort of Fallout-esque world that looked pretty cool, but "Echoes of the Future" (which it was called) sounded like the exact kind of tacky fan titles that people make fun of. So it's weird to see an official title that also has "Echoes" in it.

It reminds me of when "Kingdom Gone" was rumoured as a title for BotW, and I severely disliked that title, only for TotK to also have "Kingdom" in it.
Missed opportunity not calling it ,, The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link''.

What you see as negative might not be a negative to many people.
This isn't a worthwhile discussion, if you think the sandboxing of the Legend of Zelda was a wise choice then there was no room for discussion from the start because to the end it's an action adventure game that needs to design maps and puzzles that are interesting enough to drive the player to use their imagination, and I really don't know what exactly there is to argue against about TOTK not doing a good job of that at all, and that's just how it is.

Anyone else... not the biggest fan of the title?

There was a fan game/fan concept of a Zelda game set in a sort of Fallout-esque world that looked pretty cool, but "Echoes of the Future" (which it was called) sounded like the exact kind of tacky fan titles that people make fun of. So it's weird to see an official title that also has "Echoes" in it.

It reminds me of when "Kingdom Gone" was rumoured as a title for BotW, and I severely disliked that title, only for TotK to also have "Kingdom" in it.
Tbh the past few Zelda titles have all sounded weird to me, and at this point I'm not sure if it's just because they're new to me or if something's actually different about them. I guess it has been a while since they did a good old Important Object Title though, maybe that's it? Back in the day this would have been Rod of Echoes or something.

That would be sad, and in my opinion totk's lack of design to drive players to utilize game mechanics is very lazy and leaves the entire game experience loop incomplete and fragmented.

A score of 96 doesn't mean anything, the legacy of negative issues with totk is the point they should focus on in the next installment

You heard it here first folks, a famiboards exclusive, lazy design is when you make puzzles that are more complicated than the classic zelda staple of hit Switch type A with designated weapon B and actually spend a ton of time and effort designing arguably the most complex systems in a AAA game ever and use them to allow player ingenuity to solve things in ways the designers didn't intend, yet nonetheless somehow built a practically flawless, bug free game that allows the players to solve problems almost any way they can imagine would solve it.

You heard it here first folks, a famiboards exclusive, lazy design is when you make puzzles that are more complicated than the classic zelda staple of hit Switch type A with designated weapon B and actually spend a ton of time and effort designing arguably the most complex systems in a AAA game ever and use them to allow player ingenuity to solve things in ways the designers didn't intend, yet nonetheless somehow built a practically flawless, bug free game that allows the players to solve problems almost any way they can imagine would solve it.
Plus lazy dev rethoric lol

We might see some new Animation for the game.

Excited seeing how the intro and ending will be.

GQaRYeFaIAEseyC

I'd say that's a sophomoric argument, as they do in fact completely let the player work their way through a wide variety of puzzles in a no-holds-barred manner, however once we get back to the design of the mechanic that is the ultrahand, you realize that most of the puzzles don't have the qualifications to drive the player to use their imagination in creating various contraptions to solve the puzzle, and that these puzzles exist for the sole purpose of providing a basic instruction.

Players creating complex or imaginative contraptions is based entirely on the player's self-indulgence, and as I've made very clear in my previous post, this is not a sandbox game; self-indulgence is what sandbox games do.

The thing I find frustrating about Zelda timeline discourse is that the one side likes to speculate and discuss the timeline, whereas the other side kind of amounts to "I (and the Devs) don't care about it anymore and you are wrong. "
Yeah maybe BotW and TotK don't really fit as cleanly into the timeline as the other games, and you can interpret that as you will. Just because those two games have a really complicated connection to the timeline doesn't mean they just stopped caring about the timeline forever. It's frustrating to hear it doesn't matter when people just enjoy speculating and discussing it.

Also I agree with hoping they learn from what didn't work in TotK, even if it may be too late in the dev cycle to learn a ton from it. Not sure why we have to keep pointing out someone's opinion is an opinion? I have issues with the core gameplay loop of TotK and to a lesser extent BotW too. Also not sure why we feel the need to be sarcastic just because someone is criticizing the game.

We might see some new Animation for the game.

Excited seeing how the intro and ending will be.

GQaRYeFaIAEseyC
Now THAT is an amazing point!

Crazy how the Switch lite special edition costs 140$ in Japan

unbelievable good price tag, if your not Japanese and just going on a vacation.

At that price I’d get one for sure 😅

The thing I find frustrating about Zelda timeline discourse is that the one side likes to speculate and discuss the timeline, whereas the other side kind of amounts to "I (and the Devs) don't care about it anymore and you are wrong. "
Yeah maybe BotW and TotK don't really fit as cleanly into the timeline as the other games, and you can interpret that as you will. Just because those two games have a really complicated connection to the timeline doesn't mean they just stopped caring about the timeline forever. It's frustrating to hear it doesn't matter when people just enjoy speculating and discussing it.

Also I agree with hoping they learn from what didn't work in TotK, even if it may be too late in the dev cycle to learn a ton from it. Not sure why we have to keep pointing out someone's opinion is an opinion? I have issues with the core gameplay loop of TotK and to a lesser extent BotW too. Not sure why we feel the need to be sarcastic just because someone is criticizing the game.
I used to like speculating and discussing the timeline, but that was back in the day when we all sort of accepted that it was fanfictiony and silly but fun to talk about

But after Nintendo published an official timeline, it took it out of the world of fanfic, interpretation, and arranging things to your own aesthetic taste; and moved it into the world of wikis and the fact-and-logic nerd wars kind of fandom, and that made it less fun.

Strongly agreed on your last paragraph though.

Also I agree with hoping they learn from what didn't work in TotK, even if it may be too late in the dev cycle to learn a ton from it. Not sure why we have to keep pointing out someone's opinion is an opinion? I have issues with the core gameplay loop of TotK and to a lesser extent BotW too. Also not sure why we feel the need to be sarcastic just because someone is criticizing the game.

They learn from what doesn't work in every game, but "what didn't work in TOTK" won't match in any sense what the loud screaming minority on the internet would have you believe, just like it didn't in BOTW where instead of, say, removing durability or going back to dungeon items, they doubled down on both, making it an even bigger part of the game.

The thing I’m most looking forward to right now is seeing what other items / mechanics they’re giving Zelda. The trailer only shows the Wand mapped to one of the four item slots. What else do they have up their sleeves?
We also only see Y having an explicit function in the upper right corner. I'm assuming another face button is a dedicated jump button, but what other functions could there be? I'm wondering if there will be a system akin to ALBW where we unlock more button functionality after the immediate beginning. It just seems interesting to me that we only see three hearts and three to four triangles trailing tri. Add the D-pad as you mentioned, and I get the feeling the footage we see thus far is hinting that we're seeing multiple elements that have yet to be expanded.

They learn from what doesn't work in every game, but "what didn't work in TOTK" won't match in any sense what the loud screaming minority on the internet would have you believe, just like it didn't in BOTW where instead of, say, removing durability or going back to dungeon items, they doubled down on both, making it an even bigger part of the game.
I don't know exactly who you're representing, but I have no problem with durability, and haven't had a problem with it since botw.But as she said I likewise have a very big problem with the core loop of totk, it's very strange to make a mechanic that is remembered as very deep but not have competent puzzle design to drive the player to a deeper level of use.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun!
I like the art style except for the characters. I think they lack personality and I wish they would make them more expressful like Mario Wonder or Wind Waker.

I don't know exactly who you're representing, but I have no problem with durability, and haven't had a problem with it since botw.But as he said I likewise have a very big problem with the core loop of totk, it's very strange to make a mechanic that is remembered as very deep but not have competent puzzle design to drive the player to a deeper level of use.
You‘re talking against a wall. I’ve noticed over time that most New Zelda fans aren’t interested in engaging with any criticism of the games and always will deflect with the popularity argument, the you‘re nostalgia driven argument, the old Zelda was stale/wasn’t better in any way one or the “Botw is returning to the roots“ argument. Botw and Totk are good games and quite fun, but healthy discourse about game design should be part of any video game fandom.

Arlo put up a video about this game. Can't say I disagree with him much at all (besides the box cover making Link bigger lol, that's some real nitpicking), the future of the series being non-linear where puzzles have no real set way to solve them is depressing. Hopefully the dungeons in this game are well designed, which I do think is a lot easier here than in something like TotK, but I won't hold my breath. I fully expect to be able to stack a billion chairs for each puzzle and the game to be solved in the lamest ways possibles.

You‘re talking against a wall. I’ve noticed over time that most New Zelda fans aren’t interested in engaging with any criticism of the games and always will deflect with the popularity argument, the you‘re nostalgia driven argument, the old Zelda was stale/wasn’t better in any way one or the “Botw is returning to the roots“ argument. Botw and Totk are good games and quite fun, but healthy discourse about game design should be part of any video game fandom.
Yes, this isn't a healthy discussion, and I didn't realize that I was in such disagreement with some people on this topic that I'm not even sure if they understand what they're actually saying.I've been a supporter of the liberalization of the Zelda series from the beginning and am against going back in time, but there are existing issues that I must speak out about as well.

It's not that they don't fit. It's that it's literary the same link and Zelda maybe a couple years later and the game doesn't even fit properly with its predecessor and as not even half as much care did go in story and lore compared to the mechanics. SS was a big "we care about lore", Botw was "were backed into a corner by lore", and totk was than the clear "actually we use it as window dressing but don't care".

That was the point where it died for me. You can't have your cake and eat it to, as they tried with totk.

At the same time: who ever wants more timeline discussions, more power to them, I mostly ignore them nowadays.

I used to like speculating and discussing the timeline, but that was back in the day when we all sort of accepted that it was fanfictiony and silly but fun to talk about

But after Nintendo published an official timeline, it took it out of the world of fanfic, interpretation, and arranging things to your own aesthetic taste; and moved it into the world of wikis and the fact-and-logic nerd wars kind of fandom, and that made it less fun.
That's totally fair, I can understand not being as into it after that, especially the "nerd wars" thing. Nothing wrong with that. I just think there's not really a need for people to take the wind out of someone's sails just because they want to talk about the timeline.

Okay sure but we were talking about people in this thread and their opinions. I want dungeon items back too, if that lumps me in with the "loud screaming minority" because I don't like something about a video game then I dunno what to say to that.

I just hope it's more like A Link Between Worlds, which successfully mixed the classic Zelda design concepts with more non-linearity and freedom, instead of being essentially a 2D version of BotW/TotK.

Also I'm not a he.

I just hope it's more like A Link Between Worlds, which successfully mixed the classic Zelda design concepts with more non-linearity and freedom, instead of being essentially a 2D version of BotW/TotK.
It looks like it should be something like A Link Between the worlds, but I personally don't care much about that, I'm more interested in peeking to see if they've got a way to do a blend of free and clever level and map design.

Breath of the Wild was Zelda's Fury Road moment and Tears of the Kingdom was Furiosa. No, I will not elaborate.
lmao xD love the analogies ; Zelda as Furiosa and Ganondorf as... the villain Hemsworth plays? xP

---------

Although I don't mind the subtitles selected for the last three games, I feel like the old ones are kinda better. Or maybe the old ones are directly tied to something in-game:
  • Ocarina of Time - directly about the tool you use
  • Majora's Mask - directly about the game's antagonist
  • Wind Waker - directly about the tool you use
  • Twilight Princess - directly about a character
  • Breath of the Wild - indirectly about the game's vastness
  • Tears of the Kingdom - indirectly about a plot device that comes from a very important character
  • Echoes of Wisdom - directly about a mechanic that stems from a character's power

Now that I think about it, I feel like Echoes of Wisdom is a happy medium between a direct and indirect title

-------

Speaking of reutilizing art styles, I wonder if the next 3D Zelda will get a sequel or a game utilizing the same art style, but with a different story and chracters.

Watching the Zeltik video and it's nice to see some good enemy variety as well as getting more of a feel for how different the world design actually is to LttP. I really like the bomb-fish and look forward to encountering chibi-Lizalfos.

lmao xD love the analogies ; Zelda as Furiosa and Ganondorf as... the villain Hemsworth plays? xP

---------

Although I don't mind the subtitles selected for the last three games, I feel like the old ones are kinda better. Or maybe the old ones are directly tied to something in-game:
  • Ocarina of Time - directly about the tool you use
  • Majora's Mask - directly about the game's antagonist
  • Wind Waker - directly about the tool you use
  • Twilight Princess - directly about a character
  • Breath of the Wild - indirectly about the game's vastness
  • Tears of the Kingdom - indirectly about a plot device that comes from a very important character
  • Echoes of Wisdom - directly about a mechanic that stems from a character's power

Now that I think about it, I feel like Echoes of Wisdom is a happy medium between a direct and indirect title

-------

Speaking of reutilizing art styles, I wonder if the next 3D Zelda will get a sequel or a game utilizing the same art style, but with a different story and chracters.
Link to the past, links adventures, links awakening... None of them are tied To direct items.

Phantom hourglass is, spirit tracks...kinda.
Finish cap...yeah.

Echoes of time is more link between worlds territory. Echoes just is overused as a word, that's kinda the problem.
Botw is unusually long and abstract but was a perfect title imho. Totk I'm mixed... This looks more generic fantasy, but I get that it's not just the literal dragons tears, but also a thematic name.

It looks like there are some dungeons, too, for sure. It'll be interesting to learn more about structure and progression before too long, hopefully.

I am already exhausted by the discourse about this game I’m seeing (i should get off twitter)

Zelda is the holder of the triforce of WISDOM. She will always think outside the box. It is not sexist for her to not be a stand in for link. A gender swap would be honestly more offensive.
It's exactly the same on era.

Having myself been a very enthusiastic aficionado of timeline conversations for a very long time, I understand that it's perhaps a bit of a difficult discussion to have. But I'd say there's no clearer answer than the one provided by Breath Of The Wild, which mixes in plenty of easter eggs but basically says quite openly "fuck it" to these timeline questions.
But…it doesn’t. That’s you saying “fuck it” to timeline questions and assuming that the Zelda devs have suddenly thrown out the existing chronology of the series—which, again, they still very much stand behind—rather than consider the more reasonable possibility that, as has already happened multiple times in this series now, BotW/TotK take place on a different timeline altogether, separate from the three currently officially disclosed ones—one in which events similar to that of all three of the existing timelines may have taken place, but obviously not the same. That’s practically spelled out in TotK when it tells the events that should be OoT—which happens in all three existing timelines—as being a very different Imprisoning War than the one we know. And, as I’ve explain above, there’s conveniently an unexplored timeline split that can perfectly house these new games while also explaining a number of inconsistencies between them and past games—and this timeline split also happens to originate from the 3D Zelda game that came directly before BotW, so they may very well have been intentionally setting up for this very thing during the development of SS. This also gives the devs a new timeline that’s essentially a blank slate to do whatever they want with, which is a desire that they’ve previously voiced.

Like, I know that until Nintendo comes out and confirms it, there is no definitive, 100% confirmed answer—but that was true for the existing timeline as well until the Hyrule Historia, and even then the fans who were clued in on all the context from developer interviews and the games themselves could already piece together the vast majority of it. What most people didn’t expect was that there was a third timeline that they never even considered as a possibility—having lived through that experience, then, I don’t understand why people are being so resistant to the idea that there is yet another new timeline split, especially when this one easily makes the most sense out of any possible explanation for BotW/TotK’s placement.

He went even more alarmist than usual lol. Dude was acting like Aonuma talking about breaking conventions was a fascist dictator speech.
''Breaking Zelda conventions should be a criminal offence under international humanitarian law'' /s.

Holy Arlo basically saying Aonuma was one of the good ones at Nintendo and now it’s like Aonuma is some traitor because 2D Zelda might be open ended now.

He went on how they needed to put Link on the boxart because Legend of Zelda can’t sell itself…? And said how worse Zelda is now LMAO

People should listen. He’s done this weird talk before and conspiracy with Paper Mario. It’s like if the series isn’t going in the direction he wants there’s some grand plan at Nintendo against the series….

Last edited:
Yes, this isn't a healthy discussion, and I didn't realize that I was in such disagreement with some people on this topic that I'm not even sure if they understand what they're actually saying.I've been a supporter of the liberalization of the Zelda series from the beginning and am against going back in time, but there are existing issues that I must speak out about as well.
thank you for your bravery.

People are entitled to have complicated feelings about the history of gender roles in the Zelda series and the way this new game connects to that history.

Just because you saw one person say "tables are sexist" or something, doesn't mean you can dismiss all the people with more reasonable takes as being equally unreasonable.

Arlo’s column was one of the things I disliked the most when I was a Nintendo Force subscriber. I can’t imagine how insufferable their videos are to actually watch.

Holy shit Arlo basically saying Aonuma was one of the good ones at Nintendo and now it’s like Aonuma is some traitor because 2D Zelda might be open ended now.

He went on how they needed to put Link on the boxart because Legend of Zelda can’t sell itself…? And said how worse Zelda is now LMAO

Dude Jesus people should listen. He’s done this weird talk before.
I guess they needed something new to complain about now that TTYD HD exists?

Usually when it comes to games I am quite critical and I don't just leave it at "it was a fun game and I had fun", if anything I find that kind of gaming discourse boring and not focused on any of the artistic integrity of game design and development. When I read all the criticisms of Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom that I just struggle to relate to, however, I really do feel I'm thinking too simply with just, "it was a fun game with fun mechanics executed beautifully and in a way that engaged me for multiple hundreds of hours, 10/10".

Usually when it comes to games I am quite critical and I don't just leave it at "it was a fun game and I had fun", if anything I find that kind of gaming discourse boring and not focused on any of the artistic integrity of game design and development. When I read all the criticisms of Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom that I just struggle to relate to, however, I really do feel I'm thinking too simply with just, "it was a fun game with fun mechanics executed beautifully and in a way that engaged me for multiple hundreds of hours, 10/10".

I've always found it interesting how much easier I find it to articulate my criticisms in comparison to my praise when it comes to media.

It’s understandable to not like the art direction or the gameplay or it being open, but when you keep going into conspiracy theories and you keep going at Nintendo employees conjuring up “scary” plans is too much for me.

As someone who was also into Zelda timeline theory for many years, it isn’t at all my experience that “we all sort of accepted that it was fantictiony and silly”; on the contrary, most serious timeline theorists thought it was very logical and obvious for the most part, outside of a few problem games—namely the exact placements of OoS/OoA, FSA, and how exactly the first four games were supposed to connect after OoT’s originally intended story as ALttP’s Imprisoning War was changed during development and TWW and MM/TP were then created as OoT’s sequels instead (turns out they found a way for OoT to be ALttP’s prequel as originally intended by way of the Downfall Timeline, of course, so everything conveniently worked out in the end).

Anyway, yes, even though the vast majority of the timeline was clearly stated by the developers or the games themselves, there were still some things left unknown that kept people speculating. I think Nintendo also realized that once they officially disclosed the exact timeline, a lot of this talk died down, which probably isn’t what Nintendo wanted. So, what do they do? They start a new timeline but don’t officially acknowledge it to keep people talking and speculating, just as we did before the Downfall Timeline was revealed. I think that’s exactly what they’re doing with the Hylia Timeline—except there’s actually more in game evidence to suggest the existence of this one compared to the Downfall Timeline (which makes sense, because the Hylia Timeline was likely planned out in advance, while the Downfall Timeline would’ve had to have been created after the fact due to OoT’s originally intended story changing during development, so the only thing really hinting at its existence is the fact that ALttP’s backstory is contradicted by OoT as we experience it normally).

In hindsight, it actually makes a lot of sense, then, why Nintendo decided to officially reveal the timeline after SS released—because they already had a new timeline set up in SS on which newer games will take place that they’re not planning to officially disclose anytime soon, just as had been the case before with the Downfall Timeline! Let’s be real, there’s no way Nintendo wouldn’t have foreseen that officially releasing the timeline would kill a lot of speculation once the initial hype died down (which Nintendo wouldn’t want, as more people talking about the games is a good thing for them), after all, and that would explain why they’re now being so coy about where exactly BotW/TotK take place relative to the existing timelines—because this was likely their plan all along and probably the entire reason why they were comfortable revealing the official timeline after SS and up to (but not including) BotW!

I've always found it interesting how much easier I find it to articulate my criticisms in comparison to my praise when it comes to media.
It's not that I struggle to articulate my criticisms, it's that the ones that I have just do not reflect any of the discourse I've seen online, and the ones that I do have are small gripes about the Sky Islands, inventory management, and comments on the narrative and storytelling. The game is not perfect, but it's my favourite ever.

One personal experiences and emotions are what create his views and opinions about anything
No two people can experience anything completely the same
The same person can not experience two different subjects completely the same
what i am trying to say is do not care about things like this have your own opinion and let other have their own

One personal experiences and emotions are what create his views and opinions about anything
No two people can experience anything completely the same
The same person can not experience two different subjects completely the same
what i am trying to say is do not care about things like this have your own opinion and let other have their own
Well, about that last part. I hope it doesn't come off like I don't think others are entitled to their opinion, I'm just saying that (most probably due to a fault with how I understand media) I struggle to understand most of the criticisms of Tears of the Kingdom in specific. It just feels like there's something I'm not getting. When it comes to music (where I'm more comfortable in the subject being discussed), there are songs I love, and I can listen to people talk on and on about why they hate them and nod along understandingly.

Well, about that last part. I hope it doesn't come off like I don't think others are entitled to their opinion, I'm just saying that (most probably due to a fault with how I understand media) I struggle to understand most of the criticisms of Tears of the Kingdom in specific. It just feels like there's something I'm not getting. When it comes to music (where I'm more comfortable in the subject being discussed), there are songs I love, and I can listen to people talk on and on about why they hate them and nod along understandingly.
I consider myself an insensitive person to the look of the game, and I will only evaluate the game mechanic design as well as the flow design as the only criteria. totk's mechanic design is rich in depth, but the loop between the flow design and the mechanic design is very poor, which is something I am not satisfied with.

Back
Top Bottom