• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News The Last Of Us Part II Remastered launching for PS5 on January 19th (rougelike survival mode, cut levels added, $10 upgrade for PS4 owners)

I wonder if you can change the order of characters you play. It would make the game much better.

Last edited:
Damn, new levels is very cool.

Roguelike mode probably isn't for me, but that's a nice addition too.

I'm glad this remaster is releasing cause I never bought the PS4 version (a friend lended it to me so that I could play it), and I really like both the first one and the second one and I wanted to have them in my collection (only have the first one on PS3 and it's been years since I've plugged my PS3), but it didn't feel right to me that the first one got a nice remaster on PS5, but that you had to go back to a PS4 version for the sequel lol

One of my favorite games in recent years. I figured there had to be a PS5 version coming eventually. Super glad there's a $10 upgrade path for existing owners though, 'cuz I'd have been unwilling to pay $70, lol.

I dig the sound of that roguelike survival mode. It, plus the inclusion of those cut levels makes it worth the $10 to me.
Damn, new levels is very cool.

Roguelike mode probably isn't for me, but that's a nice addition too.

I'm glad this remaster is releasing cause I never bought the PS4 version (a friend lended it to me so that I could play it), and I really like both the first one and the second one and I wanted to have them in my collection (only have the first one on PS3 and it's been years since I've plugged my PS3), but it didn't feel right to me that the first one got a nice remaster on PS5, but that you had to go back to a PS4 version for the sequel lol
I recommend picking up a PS4 copy of the second game for cheap on Black Friday, then just going the route of the $10 PS5 upgrade. More cost effective that way.

there’s a $10 upgrade? sweet! I actually have the PS4 version. I was ready to pay full price for this but $10 is fine too!

I was ready to pay full price for this
danny-de-vito-no.gif

Not surprising, only a matter of time until this showed up. Seeing the announcement takes me back to my playthrough. What a wilde ride it was. Have to say it was the most emotionally exhausting game I have ever played, in a good sense I mean.

I know some people did not like the hyper violence and the storybeats, but imo it’s easily one of the best PlayStation releases from the last few years.

Seeing these remasters appear, I’m expecting that an announcement of the Last of Us Part III can’t be far off, right?

People here were telling me they were gonna stop $10 upgrades because that was a failed concept...

Who the heck am I supposed to believe now!

(memes aside, this is actually more of an upgrade than I was expecting)

"Remastering" a game from 2020 - ok, then.
These terms really have lost their meaning. Seems more like a Definitive Edition situation to me, but I guess marketing liked the sound of this more.

"Remastering" a game from 2020 - ok, then.
These terms really have lost their meaning. Seems more like a Definitive Edition situation to me, but I guess marketing liked the sound of this more.
Yeah, the terminology used has largely consisted of arbitrary marketing buzzwords for years, unfortunately. There's remakes, remasters, director's cuts, definitive editions, and so on, and everything gets jumbled up.

One thing I've never been big on is the term "remake" used in reference to strictly visual / QoL works, such as Bluepoint's SotC and DeS. I reckon in cases where the underlying framework is still that of the original dev team, and the new release consists solely of a cosmetic facelift, "remaster" would be the more apt term. Metroid Prime Remastered got this right. The naming issue can also be sidestepped entirely with a cute name like Reignited, for example (in the case of Spyro).

Maybe the most strangely humorous thing I've seen recently regarding this, is the Lollipop Chainsaw dude's tweet claiming that based on fan requests, the remake will now become a remaster instead. I'm pretty sure few people would prefer a remaster over a whole new game, but... alright? Maybe it's just a coded way of saying they couldn't get the budget for a remake.

Not a fan of TLoU Part 2 but the roguelike mode sounds genuinely interesting, since I did like the gunplay of the base game.

I bought The Last of Us II for cheap on sale this year and haven't gotten to it yet, so I guess I'm glad that I'll be able to experience it in the best way possible.

Though I can't say I have much hopes for it, liked The Last of Us but wasn't a huge fan, and the impressions I've been given don't make the sequel sound great

I bought The Last of Us II for cheap on sale this year and haven't gotten to it yet, so I guess I'm glad that I'll be able to experience it in the best way possible.

Though I can't say I have much hopes for it, liked The Last of Us but wasn't a huge fan, and the impressions I've been given don't make the sequel sound great
I think impressions of the second game are gonna vary depending on what one enjoyed (or didn't) about the first. I personally liked TLoU back when I played it in 2013, but in the years following its release, I thought the praise for it could often get hyperbolic, or just "out there". I always considered it a good (even great) game, but it was never a personal GOAT of mine or anything.

My thoughts on the second game were vastly more positive, since the direction the story took resonated with me more. It's a darker, more polarizing narrative than the first, and roughly twice as long of a game, but the people who vibe with it tend to vibe with it hard, from what I've noticed. There's no shame in thinking it's just okay, or even not your thing, though. Keep an open mind, and see how you end up feeling.
"this is a game about the cycle of violence" then cutting to guitar free play and ellie wearing an astronaut suit 💀
"Look at Ellie eating those crackers like she owns the place"

On a serious note: I get not liking the game, but silly skins and other unlockables are a Naughty Dog staple, lol. They're just there for some added variety on repeat playthroughs. Just wait until you see Heather's magical girl transformation from Silent Hill 3!

i giggled when this came across my feed. sony remastering the way i like to remaster by increasing the contrast a bit 😎

Hope the cut levels contain more…

Joel and Abby. The former because I think Joel is an interesting character, but especially Abby. The latter had the best setpieces in the game, even if Ellie’s parts are nothing to sneeze at.

Imagining the Ratking again, woof.

Haven't played TLOU2 yet but this is essentially a best case scenario for what a rerelease can look like. Especially juicy to keep in mind when looking at Nintendo's approach to their OG Switch titles on their upcoming "Switch 2":

1) game is playable on newer hardware and with slight improvements due to BC,
2) game gets a free next-gen patch to run at 60fps,
3) game gets a rerelease which includes both tech improvements and additional content. Previous owners can get said rerelease through a well priced upgrade path.

I can only hope we get as many "TLOU2s" as we can, personally. Step 1 better be there (and yes, I believe it will), and ideally we get at least to Step 2 for many, many Nintendo published games. 3 is a very nice bonus for superfans of certain titles and I'm sure the reaction would have been very different here had we been talking about a TOTK "Remastered". Not that I'm surprised by now though.

Last edited:
The new additions are nice but even with the reasonably priced upgrade path and as a fan of TLOUII, I probably won't be getting this. Roguelike modes are not something I enjoy, and I still think the PS4 version I have looks good enough in 2023 to not feel like I'm missing out on the graphical updates either.

Absolutely love this game, cool to see an upgrade path for this new stuff. Roguelite mode sounds amazing. This was a rare game I played back-to-back on a higher difficulty, just because I enjoyed the combat so much. Definitely intrigued by the "lost levels," both earnestly and because my one real complaint with Part II is that it was maybe a little overstuffed to begin with.

They're remastering the game for the current hardware, what's the problem with this? Isn't this the same thing people expect Nintendo to do with their flagship games when the Switch 2 comes out?

Anyway I haven't played TLoU2 yet, so I'll be getting this whenever I get to buy a PS5. Might as well buy the part 1 remake since it's been a while I played the first game and I remember almost nothing from it.

Back
Top Bottom