• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News The Game Awards 2023 | Nomination Thread | Announcement at 9a PT / Noon ET / 5p GMT

IMO we should create our own Nintendo awards show.

I'll host it.

We will have Nate, and others host it as well.

We will convince Nintendo this is where they need announce the Switch 2.

We will also get...

Metroid Prime 4
Mother Trilogy Remake
Super Mario Open World
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time HD Remake
StarTropics Reboot
Wave Race 4K
Zelda Souls

And many more to be announced at this award show.

I'll host it.

We will have Nate, and others host it as well.

We will convince Nintendo this is where they need announce the Switch 2.

We will also get...

Metroid Prime 4
Mother Trilogy Remake
Super Mario Open World
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time HD Remake
StarTropics Reboot
Wave Race 4K
Zelda Souls

And many more to be announced at this award show.

You almost convinced me with all of that, but you mentioned Metroid Prime 4 confirming it was a joke post. Sad.

You almost convinced me with all of that, but you mentioned Metroid Prime 4 confirming it was a joke post. Sad.
Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.1470069300.png

For the TotK part in that trailer, Geoff should've just built his own TGA-truck in-game and used that footage. The cutscenes are basically the worst way to represent that game if you ask me.

The cutscenes are basically the worst way to represent that game if you ask me.
Agreed, but they're the only parts that look anything like a movie, which is what Geoff really wants games to appear to be, so it would defeat the purpose of even including the game in his reel

Final Player's voice nominees
-Baldur's Gate 3
-Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
-Genshin Impact
-Marvel's Spider-Man 2
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Very funny to me that a year ago people were seriously arguing a certain game would be a major contender for GOTY and how dare various outlets decide not to talk about it to "appease a vocal minority", and now not only did it not get a single nomination, but it couldn't even make it to the finals for the fan-voted award

All these awards are confirmed to be frauds because Pikmin 4 didn't sweep the nominations. There, I said what had to be said 👍

Think we will get any Nintendo news, outside of a sizzle reel of already announced 2024 games?
Depends on what you count as Nintendo news. Any new first party announcements will probably be held back for when the Switch's successor is ready. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some third party thing ready to slide in.

Still thinking that another Zelda Musou is likely. Close out the BOTW/TOTK era with a sequel to Age of Calamity.

Depends on what you count as Nintendo news. Any new first party announcements will probably be held back for when the Switch's successor is ready. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some third party thing ready to slide in.

Still thinking that another Zelda Musou is likely. Close out the BOTW/TOTK era with a sequel to Age of Calamity.
I'd say a port is also a possibility.

Great, guess this show is going to have musical performances like some kind of movie or something.

For real, though, this makes me wonder what will end up being their GOTY medley song because I just assumed it'd be Herald of Darkness. Too bad this might semi-spoil a really fun part of AW2.

alan wake 2 might end up being a sleeper surprise of the award show considering some pretty big sites are giving it the #1 slot over BG3 and TOTK

I think Alan Wake II should win Best Game Direction. As much as I like Alan Wake II, I don't think it should win the game of the year award. It's gameplay is just too bad in my opinion. If that was fixed up, it would be a 10/10 video game.

This is not a prediction tho, just my personal opinion.

Controversial opinion, I always find these types of trailers he edits very distasteful to the medium he works for.

He tries so hard to make the industry of videogames into a diet Hollywood with everything he does, to a point where he shows like 7 games for the vast majority of the trailer because they're the most "cinematic", and anything either doesn't show up because they don't fit the Hollywood style trailer editing or if they are included, they're the most out of place, awkward cuts ever. And I say this as a film Director. He has a resentment towards the gaming industry for what it is and tries to push into being a lesser version because it's more "respectable" in his eyes. Why else does he need Hollywood actors to validate his award show when some of them literally couldn't care less? You think Pachino is a prolific game industry veteran?

This mentality also reflects in his own shows where he'll constantly advertise/focus on "best narrative", cutscenes, "best performances", "best direction", etc. but not have a single ounce of interest in "best game mechanic", "best map design", "best puzzle", "best controls", aka things that makes the game industry unique and stands on, aka something you play. So many elements that go into making games actual games, yet we have 3 awards for E-sports.

Think of how many games came out this year, how many varied genres, styles, Art direction, etc. How many were even represented in the trailer? He literally put in a TLoU TV show and the SMB Movie over Street Fighter, a 92 metacritic fighting game. Super Mario Bros Wonder, GotY nominee, showed up once for 1 whole second, while other great games didn't even get that. There's so much strength to the medium that makes videogames, well, videogames, something that movies and TV shows can't do. Experiences they can't provide. Puzzle games, fighting games, VNs, platformers, metroidvanias, etc that are blatantly disregarded in favor of "muh cinema".

It's a shame Geoff Keighley has to represent gaming so much with his 3-4 big shows a year when it's clear he is disinterested in 50% of the elements that go into game creation, and 60% of game genres in general
In the midst of the current Game Awards controversy regarding:

• The obvious interest in wasting time with Hollywood celebrities while giving even industry icons 30 seconds to speak before being shooed off
  • The rapid fire awards for 75% of the categories to make room for Muppets
  • And the continual ego stroking 10 minute section of Kojima with nothing to show + JP (aka more Hollywood celebrities to validate the game industry) when people have important things to say during their acceptance speeches (or talking about the severe layoffs from this past year)
  • The removal of the industry icon award section

I'd say people are realizing this more than ever. Geoff is embarrassed of his own industry

Last edited:
In the midst of the current Game Awards controversy regarding:

• The obvious interest in wasting time with Hollywood celebrities while giving even industry icons 30 seconds to speak before being shooed off
  • The rapid fire awards for 75% of the categories to make room for Muppets
  • And the continual ego stroking 10 minute section of Kojima with nothing to show + JP (aka more Hollywood celebrities to validate the game industry) when people have important things to say during their acceptance speeches (or talking about the severe layoffs from this past year)
  • The removal of the industry icon award section

I'd say people are realizing this more than ever. Geoff is embarrassed of his own industry
I agree with all this with one exception: the Muppets. I say give us more Muppets. Hell, as someone who has been on the "let the Muppets host the Oscars" for years, I'll say one way to solve two problems in one swoop is to let the Muppets host TGA

Back
Top Bottom