• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion The cost* of putting games on Gamepass (FTC leak)

Bishop89

Piranha Plant
* Microsoft Guesstimates

Red Dead 2 - $5M/mth
Suicide Squad - $250M
Star Wars Jedi Survivor - $300M
Mortal Kombat 1 - $250M
Baldur's Gate 3 - $5M
Gotham Knights - $30M
Assassin's Creed Rift - $100M
GTA V - $12-$15M/mth
Dying Light 2 - $50M
LEGO Star Wars - $35M
Dragon Ball: The Breakers - $20M
Return to Moneky Island - $5M
Wreckfest 2 - $10-$14M
Just Dance - $5M
Blood Runner - $5M
Glitch Busters - $5M

tnfhm2q0yfx7.jpeg

j44u2vwnrept.jpeg

5pUPP4Q_d.webp

Now this is a legitimately damaging leak for Microsoft here. Now publishers are free to go to them and say, 'well you paid EA $300m for Jedi Survivor, so how about we get some of that cheddar cheese for our next game?' It drastically reduces Microsoft's negotiating power.

They must be absolutely seething at the FTC here.

I like where Phil's head's at with From Soft games lol

I just wish we'd get more on the Switch...

Those remarks with Wildcards... Holy shit... This is not going down well for MS and the publishers they work with for gamepass. It's like you overhear people you grust talk shit about you.

Now this is a legitimately damaging leak for Microsoft here. Now publishers are free to go to them and say, 'well you paid EA $300m for Jedi Survivor, so how about we get some of that cheddar cheese for our next game?' It drastically reduces Microsoft's negotiating power.

This too. Businesses willing to work with MS on Gamepass are going for the price now.

To clarify, it doesn't seem the FTC is responsible for the leak and these are estimates not prices paid, but yea it is quite damaging regardless.

^ FTC Spokesperson

The only silver lining to any of this is that XGS was seemingly spared from the carnage. Disaster for Xbox overall.

To clarify, it doesn't seem the FTC is responsible for the leak and these are estimates not prices paid, but yea it is quite damaging regardless.

^ FTC Spokesperson

of course the ftc would say it's not their fault. will see how this turns out but I wouldn't believe their initial words

^ FTC Spokesperson

of course the ftc would say it's not their fault. will see how this turns out but I wouldn't believe their initial words

I mean, I also don't think FTC - the one suing will be responsible for the defendant's job to upload their side's document to the court.

Besides, someone already asked Microsoft about FTC's comment but they didn't answer. If it was FTC's fault, Microsoft must have said something right?

^ FTC Spokesperson

Ooof, this is going to get messy I think. Just too much to catch up on currently. What a day. Whoever was responsible, it's definitely put Microsoft in a very tricky spot.

It probably should be expressly clarified here that these are Microsoft's estimates of how much those studios would ask for the games to be day one Game Pass games, it's not indicative of how much they've actually paid and some of these (all?) never actually manifested into a deal. You can assume any major triple A game that's on Game Pass day one would have a big price tag attached to it though. Similar deals like these presumably happen in the streaming business.

wouldn't it be more damaging for the FTC to lie about this than just admit it was their fault?

Yeah, and there is definitely a record of who uploads what document right? So if FTC goes out and said: "We didn't upload these documents" and Microsoft showed the record that FTC did then it's gonna be a shit storm.

Damn, looking at this actually made me feel bad for Microsoft. Like i felt legit guilt

What a leak! Also LMAO at 30M for Gotham Knights. I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

$5M for Baldur's Gate 3? Maybe they read posts on this forum about how BG3 is a buggy mess and TOTK is the true best $70 game of 2023 and then valued it.

Not sure what I'm missing here, 5m for BG3 and 250m for Suicide Squad? Does that make sense?
Baldur's Gate is a very niche brand by a pretty niche developer with a very niche gameplay.
Suicide Squad is attached to a very popular and well known brand, it being a live service skinner box game probably also helps. Also, WB is a bigger player than Larian :D

Oh Larian.

Don't let MS lowball you, you at least deserve 20 Million for baldurs gate 3.

Not sure what I'm missing here, 5m for BG3 and 250m for Suicide Squad? Does that make sense?

This was Microsoft's projections for how much they would have to pay to get these on GamePass day 1 based on what they thought as of summer 2022.

These projections were obviously very bad.

The Suicide Squad one is mildly embarrassing because the game was a clear disaster as of summer 2022 if you did digging (with the founders of the studio fleeing the game shortly afterwards) and shows that Microsoft doesn't have great insight into third-party games in development.

Baldur's Gate is a very niche brand by a pretty niche developer with a very niche gameplay.
Suicide Squad is attached to a very popular and well known brand, it being a live service skinner box game probably also helps. Also, WB is a bigger player than Larian :D

This was Microsoft's projections for how much they would have to pay to get these on GamePass day 1 based on what they thought as of summer 2022.

These projections were obviously very bad.

The Suicide Squad one is mildly embarrassing because the game was a clear disaster as of summer 2022 if you did digging (with the founders of the studio fleeing the game shortly afterwards) and shows that Microsoft doesn't have great insight into third-party games in development.
Hmm I see. The factor 50 difference surprised me, but that is indeed with hindsight. Also never heard of the Suicide Squad game.

so how sustainable is this?
From other documents, we know that Gamepass is at 25.9M subscribers, with the average sub cost being 9.26 USD. That puts their monthly GP income at 239.8M USD, which isn’t even enough to pay for, say, Suicide Squad.

Bloomberg seem to confirm that, yeah, it’s Microsoft mistake, not FTC.
Oof some intern is going to have a rough day

I wonder how much Microsoft offered Sega/Atlus to put the Persona series, especially P3R, on the service.

Wow, Xbox made a bad move with BG3, calling it a second run Stadia rpg. 5 mil was low for it in 2022 considering DOS2 was pretty popular and sold well. It should have been an easy pickup for them.

uNsUsTaInAbLe

This is why they are making so many acquisitions. Purchases like Bethesda and ActiBlizz feed the beast much better than cutting checks for big AAA games.

uNsUsTaInAbLe

This is why they are making so many acquisitions. Purchases like Bethesda and ActiBlizz feed the beast much better than cutting checks for big AAA games.
The very sustainable model where it makes more financial sense to spend 20 billion dollars acquiring a studio than have their games appear on Gamepass for a few years

Like it’s pretty clear that all the suggestion of this being some sort of mutually beneficial relationship that boosts games visibility outside of the smallest indie studios is crap. These developers see the games going on Gamepass as lost sales; and not just lost sales on Xbox but potential lost sales on other platformers to the point where they are basically telling Microsoft ”pay us for the entire budget of what this game cost to make or fuck off”

Yeah, this is a way bigger deal than the other leaks. Lots of dirty laundry to be found here. Streaming is a bubble waiting to burst whether it’s TV/film or gaming.

Back
Top Bottom