• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion That Super Mario movie is absolutely going to be an isekai, isn't it?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Here's what that movie is absolutely going to be:

A young boy in the real world, voiced by Chris Pratt, loves video games, especially Mario. All of his friends, including the kinda meek kid voiced by Charlie Day, the bigger, brutish kid voiced by Seth Rogen, and of course the token girl of his friend group and heavily implied love interest voiced by Anya Taylor Joy know that Chris Pratt's character loves Mario games more than ANYONE. But do you know who DOESN'T like Mario Games? The Bully (or maybe Authority-type) character voiced by Jack Black! He HATES Mario almost as much as he has a crush on Anya Taylor Joy's character!

BUT THEN ONE DAY CHRIS PRATT WAKES UP IN MARIO WORLD??? AND HE IS MARIO????

What's going on!?!?! The PRINCESS???? Who just so happens to sound like Anya Taylor Joy????? Was KIDNAPPED??!?!?!?! By Jack Black's character!?!?!?!? Only Chris Pratt and his friends can save the day!

Like, I'm right, right? That's what that movie is gonna be? That's how they're gonna get away with the voice changes, right? That's why he won't have the Italian accent, right? As Meledandri puts it:

“We cover it in the movie, so you’ll see we definitely nod to that, but that’s not the tenor of the performance throughout the film”

That's why Charles Martinet is just a "cameo" as he's going to play Mario & Co when Pratt's character is outside the game world, right?

What do you think? I'm right aren't I? Right? Am I wrong? If I am, what do YOU Think the movie will be?

Last edited:
I agree. I’ve thought this since the announcement of the voice cast. They’re going the isekai/Jumanji route. Which is a very safe option to get wacky interactions but not tie them too much to Nintendo’s brand. It’s not like Mario “lore” could sustain a movie anyway. Will it be good? Probably not. But if it’s passable and makes money, Nintendo will be pleased.

That’s how two plumbers from Brooklyn ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom in the first place.

Jumanji (2017) but CGI

Yeah, I could see it. Won't stop me from seeing it day one though

To be fair the new Jumanji movie was funny as hell

I guess I'm not looking for a game-accurate representation of the Mario universe. I'm looking for a fun time that makes me laugh as a Mario Fan

I keep seeing this term Isekai and still not sure if that's an insult or not. As long as the movie is fun I don't care much how they set it up.

I mean, the original movie (both the live action and Japanese anime movie) was as well in some ways, which... Well...

6miaFdU.gif

I still doubt it.
In my options it will be a pretty standard animated movie set in the Mushroom Kingdom. I imagine something like Duck Tales from the vibes.

I honestly think they'll play straight the characters in their actual roles from the games, just a bit more explosive/expressive/exaggerated

You also have characters like Toad, Kamek, Cranky and Foreman Spike that doesn't quite fit in the premise you suggested.

Edit: Derachi ruined my joke, so I hope he's wrong now :mad:

Last edited:
I keep seeing this term Isekai and still not sure if that's an insult or not. As long as the movie is fun I don't care much how they set it up.
It's a genre of fiction where a character is transported to a different world, usually an in-universe work of fiction. It's not a qualitative statement at all.

Honestly I doubt it. I think they're going to just do a straightforward adaptation, it's animation so they have no real limits in terms of setting/effects/etc.

No but seriously, I don't see it.

It's just gonna be Mario getting him and Luigi fired from their jobs in New Donk City thanks to causing so much damage in the Donkey Kong incident. Then taking a paying plumbing job way out of the way at Peach's Castle, and getting caught up in the Bowser loves Peach melodrama because they just happen to be there.

It's the "power of being more than you think you are" story.

Lots of cheesy video game jokes. Bowser sings a lot. Peach is a girl who can fight scene. Toad gets all the best jokes.

The End.

No but seriously, I don't see it.

It's just gonna be Mario getting him and Luigi fired from their jobs in New Donk City thanks to causing so much damage in the Donkey Kong incident. Then taking a paying plumbing job way out of the way at Peach's Castle, and getting caught up in the Bowser loves Peach melodrama because they just happen to be there.

It's the "power of being more than you think you are" story.

Lots of cheesy video game jokes. Bowser sings a lot. Peach is a girl who can fight scene. Toad gets all the best jokes.

The End.
I wish I could negative Yeah! this

I wish I could !haeY

but you're probably right

I wish I could negative Yeah! this

I wish I could !haeY

but you're probably right
Oh no I forgot to mention the small Donkey Kong Country movie setup teaser mid/post credits.

Shoot. Dang. Heck.

I hadn’t thought about it but that would make a lot of sense! I don’t love it lol. BUT Charlie Day is voicing Luigi so…I’ll see it

Sounds kinda shitty to have a Mario movie that doesn't actually star Mario. But after all the taking over of other peoples' bodies Mario did in Odyssey, he can't say he didn't earn it.

Remember when Mario's backstory in American media involved him and Luigi being isekaid to the Mushroom Kingdom from Brooklyn?

They can't do that.

That's NuJumanji.

They'll get slaughtered.

Remember when Mario's backstory in American media involved him and Luigi being isekaid to the Mushroom Kingdom from Brooklyn?
This is still my headcanon, and I think this will be the catalyst for the movie’s plot.

A couple problems I have with this theory:

Charlie Day actually kind of sounds like Luigi if he does the voice right.

How would this explain characters like Foreman Spike and Cranky Kong who would make more sense for a "Mario Origin Story" movie?

I'm not sure what will be worse...this movie being an interesting but messy disaster like the 1993 one, or it being safe and utterly dull like most of Illumination's work.

Either way I feel like I lose.

Yeah on the same tanget, I think there will be a 'video game' Mario voiced by Martinet and the Chris Pratt Mario.
Either it is isekai, or just Mario moving between worlds where he's distinctly different as a video game chatacter from Pratt's Mario. They can do many things with that dual Mario approach, but having Martinet casted seems to confirm the video game version of Mario will be in the movie in some form.

Last edited:
I am kind of hoping it’s actually a Mario Kart movie that’s done like Wacky Races. Would be easy to launch a new MK game this fall with it.

@Derachi I’ve been on the isekai Mario train since October :) I think he’ll be an adult though who rediscovers the joy of life after being isekai’d into Mario’s world.

Eu concordo. Eu pensei isso desde o anúncio do elenco de voz. Eles estão indo na rota isekai/Jumanji. O que é uma opção muito segura para obter interações malucas, mas não vinculá-las muito à marca da Nintendo. Não é como se o “lore” de Mario pudesse sustentar um filme de qualquer maneira. Será bom? Provavelmente não. Mas se for aceitável e ganhar dinheiro, a Nintendo ficará satisfeita.
If you dig deeper, Mario's story isn't just about saving the princess

an example, see the Mario and Luigi series

@Derachi I’ve been on the isekai Mario train since October :) I think he’ll be an adult though who rediscovers the joy of life after being isekai’d into Mario’s world.

Joy of life maybe, or maybe some kind of "middle-aged dad learns how to reconnect with his kids through going to another world" plot, kind of similar to "Hook" in a way.

Back
Top Bottom