• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

What Do You Think The Plot Of The Mario Movie Is And What Are Charles Martinet's Roles?

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
It's been almost a month now that the celebrity voice cast for the new animated Mario movie was announced including Chris Pratt as Mario, Charlie Day as Luigi, and Jack Black as Bowser. Now that we've had a while to let the news sink in, I think there are two big questions remaining. First, what do you think the plot of the Mario movie is? Second, if Charles Martinet isn't Mario (or at least the headlining Mario), what exactly are his various roles in the movie?

I encourage you to post your own thoughts before reading mine or others, so I'll put mine in a spoiler tag. Have fun Fami!

I think Chris Pratt's Mario isn't the real Mario. Instead he is a person in the real world also named Mario who gets isekai'd into the Mario world by getting hit by a truck/sucked into the video game etc. Some characters from his world might take on the roles of the Mario characters (I think Luigi is his actual brother for example whether he is aware of it or not) and regardless everyone in the Mario world treats him as Mario since he now looks/dresses/sounds like the real Mario (wacky comedy ensues whenever people doubt Chris Pratt Mario is actually Mario). Over the course of filling in for Mario, he discovers something about the true essence of Mario and himself. Charles Martinet would play the real Mario who helps him out at various points either in visions or briefly in person and they have an actual team up at the end of the film when he returns/is rescued. Chris Pratt Mario after saving the day with Mario goes back to his world at the end of the movie. In this version, I think Charles Martinet also plays some character in the real world Chris Pratt Mario meets briefly right before he gets isekai'd into the Mario world. The movie ends with one or both of the Mario's saying "woo-hoo!" or something.

My alternate guess if Chris Pratt is actually Mario, Charles Martinet is Wario and Waluigi who pop up to bother him at various points. For the record in this scenario, Charles Martinet should have been the real Mario.

I do think whatever the film is will turn out fine at worst since the Teen Titans Go movie writers are behind it. They know how to make a fun kids movie that also appeals to adults. I also think Jack Black is going to kill it as Bowser regardless of the film's plot. I bet there will be original vocal songs throughout the film and Bowser's will be a showstopper.

I think that the plot of the movie will be loosely modeled after the Super Mario Adventure comic, though they will go into a bit more detail on the Mario Bros. time in New Donk City working at the construction site at the beginning.

Charles Martinet will probably play video game Mario "woo-hoo" if they do the scene where Peach plays a Mario Bros. game from the comic. He might also play Friendly Floyd the Salesman, or a character that takes Floyd's place in the story who sells Mario and Luigi stuff.

My guess anyway.

I think that the plot of the movie will be loosely modeled after the Super Mario Adventure comic, though they will go into a bit more detail on the Mario Bros. time in New Donk City working at the construction site at the beginning.

Charles Martinet will probably play video game Mario "woo-hoo" if they do the scene where Peach plays a Mario Bros. game from the comic. He might also play Friendly Floyd the Salesman, or a character that takes Floyd's place in the story who sells Mario and Luigi stuff.

My guess anyway.
Ooh I’d definitely like to see New Donk City in the film. Could explain all of the Donkey Kong characters and Foreman Spike.

I can see them swapping voices and injecting the iconic yippee and wahoos for mario (with Charles) whenever he does a great jump.

if the rumor of the Teen Titans Go duo are writing and directing are true, then I'm down for whatever the plot is, which is pretty hard to guess right now

My guess is that Charles Martinet would play Wario and Waluigi (the other two Mario regulars) if their roles are not very significant in the film, since I can see Mario and Luigi doing a lot of talking that maybe it would be a strain for Martinet (a few folks observed that Luigi in his latest Mansion 3 game had a hoarser delivery compared to the past).

Thank you for reading.

I think there will be some voice gag at some point where Charles will play Mario and Luigi. Either they're traveling and some area they end up in turns everyone's voices to their original game versions with subtitles, or Mario and Luigi will be arguing and right before they start cursing, the pov will switch to whoever is watching them and they'll be arguing in fake Italian gibberish a la Mario & Luigi.

I figure it's going to go way back to the beginning, to establish the origins of Mario's universe. But I mean, way, way back. I imagine the premise of the movie is something like this...

A long, long time ago, the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big, so not a lot of people went around hassling 'em. Actually, no people went around hassling 'em because there weren't any people yet. Just the first tiny mammals. Basically life was good.Then somethin' happened. A giant meteorite struck the earth.

Good- bye, dinosaurs.

But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed?What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension...where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent, vicious, aggressive beings, just like us?

And, hey!

What if they found a way back?

I figure it's going to go way back to the beginning, to establish the origins of Mario's universe. But I mean, way, way back. I imagine the premise of the movie is something like this...

A long, long time ago, the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big, so not a lot of people went around hassling 'em. Actually, no people went around hassling 'em because there weren't any people yet. Just the first tiny mammals. Basically life was good.Then somethin' happened. A giant meteorite struck the earth.

Good- bye, dinosaurs.

But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed?What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension...where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent, vicious, aggressive beings, just like us?

And, hey!

What if they found a way back?
That sounds like it ain't no video game!

Ok ferreals I am expecting a meta-commentary on intense fame, social responsibility and personal heroism.

The real Mario of the movie (played by Chris Pratt, man hes so cool) has done stuff, sure, but the legend has outgrown the man. Everyone except his close circle of friends and fami think of "Mario", a nearly god-like larger-than-life caricature (played by Charles Martinet) of the real guy.
The immense expectations and hero worship lead to our hero Mario-Chris losing touch with who he really is and in fear that there is nothing genuine left inside him but rather only the grotesque, sham-boyant woo-hooing construct Mario-Charles that he feels pressured to embody to the world.

And then, enter Seth Rogen.

Martinet plays Mario's father (Mario Sr.) at a circus with Donkey Kong and family. Mario Jr. doesn't like the circus life , so he runs away from home with Luigi when he hears the princess has been captured and are looking for heroes.

However, it's all an act between Bowser and the Mushroom Kingdom to keep their kingdoms at war (war profiting); Peach knows about it but disagrees and constantly argues with Bowser.

Mario saves the princess and defeats Bowser, Peach overthrows Mushroom Kingdom and establishes peace, and Luigi is forgotten in the corner.

The film opens with a title card reading "Once upon a time". A middle-aged man (Mario) sharpens his razor at his balcony door and tests the razor on his thumb. He then opens the door, and idly fingers the razor while gazing at the moon, about to be engulfed by a thin cloud, from his balcony. There is a cut to a close-up of a young woman (Princess Peach) being held by the man. She calmly stares straight ahead as he brings the razor near her eye. Another cut occurs to the moon being overcome by the cloud, then a cut to a close up of a hand slitting the eye of a goomba with the razor (which happens so quickly the viewer may believe it was the woman's eye), and coins spill out from it.

Chris Pat suddenly gets transported to the mushroom kingdom from his apartment in new york together with his brother Luigi. Charles Martinet plays og Mario or Wario.

Considering that Miyamoto is involved in the movie and he hates stories, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie has a very very simplistic plot.

About Martinet's role in it, no idea honestly.

Here is my serious thoughts as to the plot of what the Mario movie could be.

Our story begins with a younger Mario and Luigi as construction workers working under Foreman Spike in New Donk City. Mario is unsatisfied with his job and dreams of doing something more with his life, while Luigi is content with where he is. This all changes when Donkey Kong Sr. (Cranky Kong) kidnaps mayoral candidate Pauline and absconds up the building the Bros were working on. Mario, spurred on by his desire for adventure and a general sense of altruism, chases Donkey Kong up the scaffolding, defeating him and rescuing Pauline. This thrusts Mario into the world of stardom, a world he feels he was made for, and he slowly lets the title of hero get to his head, making him feel invincible. Sometime later, the bros take a visit back to their homeland, the Mushroom Kingdom, to visit family (probably the Mario Bros parents). However, during their visit, King Bowser shows up with his Koopa army and kidnaps Princess Peach. The denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom, learning of Mario's exploits in New Donk, beg Mario to rescue Peach, and Mario of course agrees. Luigi gets dragged into the rescue mission too of course, and together the two brothers set out. Mario soon discovers that he out he may have bitten off more than he can chew with this latest adventure however, as Bowser and his forces are in a league of their own. Mario, with help from his brother Luigi, will have to discover what it truly means to be a hero; what it truly means to be 'Super' in order to defeat the wicked King Bowser and rescue Princess Peach. Somewhere along the way, Donkey Kong (Jr) also gets involves somehow; maybe as another party member.

Toad either accompanies the brothers on their adventure, or ends up captured with Peach.

Yeah, lets go for Nintendo cinematic universe

Now a Mario novie that would lead to DKC, Yoshi’s Story, Luigis Mansion and Wario Land movies.

Aside, Metroid, Star Fox and Legend of Zelda movies.

Finally, all world will collide in a Super Smash Brothers movie, supervised by Sakurai himself

Yeah, lets go for Nintendo cinematic universe

Now a Mario novie that would lead to DKC, Yoshi’s Story, Luigis Mansion and Wario Land movies.

Aside, Metroid, Star Fox and Legend of Zelda movies.

Finally, all world will collide in a Super Smash Brothers movie, supervised by Sakurai himself
Based solely off the characters revealed so far, I definitely think a separate Donkey Kong movie is planned.

I don’t know if I’m ready for even the Mario Cinematic Universe yet, but we need to start preparing for future MCU vs MCU debates just in case!

Considering that Miyamoto is involved in the movie and he hates stories, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie has a very very simplistic plot.

About Martinet's role in it, no idea honestly.
Miyamoto doesn’t hate stories, he just prefers more simplistic narratives in video games to keep the focus on gameplay. Leaving the video game medium behind, this really doesn’t make sense.

I don't think Peach is going to be kidnapped or stay kidnapped for long. We're post-Elsa (and innumerable other self-sufficient, I-am-my-own-hero princesses). She's going to have at least one 'badass' moment and she's probably going to be shown to be more competent than the rest of the cast.

I am realising, though, that I have only seen one Illumination movie (The Grinch, and I actually thought it was a totally fine Christmas background watch). For some reason I thought they were responsible for that horrible Addams Family movie.

Towards the end of the movie, Prat Mario is gonna grab a star power up. Energized and at full strength, he let's out a big WAHOO! which is voiced by Martinet.

Chris Pratt will be Mario. They won’t have the real actor become Mario, that ain’t happening. Martinet will just make little sounds like Yahoo!, Let’s a Go!, etc.

In a mansion called Faxanadu, part of a vast palatial estate in the Mushroom Kingdom, the elderly Mario (Charles "Letsa Go" Martinet) is on his deathbed. Holding a POW Block, he utters a word, "Italy", and drops the block, killing himself instantly. A newsreel obituary tells the life story of Mario, an enormously wealthy plumber and jumping magnate. Mario's death becomes sensational news around the world, and the newsreel's producer tasks reporter Mario Thompson (Chris "Chrisp Rat" Pratt) with discovering the meaning of "Italy".

EuJStn2XAAQJuSH.jpg:large

The year is 1987. The setting? New Donk City.

Mario one day discovers the joys of drugs (shrooms) and Luigi starts a job to pay for Mario's habit. The dealer is known as 'King Koopa' but in reality is 'Bowser'.

Gritty crime drama.

I think
1. the movie will be some sort of portal sucks Game Mario and Game Luigi (Charles) in and on the other side they can now talk... (Chris pratt and new crew takes over)

or

2. Past sequences involving baby mario and baby luigi in flash backs

or

3. Wario

I like reading all of the “it’s another movie that already exists like Citizen Kane and you just slot in Mario characters” ideas lol.

I do think the film will be fully animated, there are no live action bits like the Lego Movie.

I think he's gonna be Wario. Not a main cast member, but more than a cameo. He'll have a decent amount of screentime.

Script outline just leaked

Self-loathing screenwriter Mario Mario is hired to write the screenplay adaptation of Princess Peach's The Mushroom Thief. He struggles with anxiety, social phobia, depression, and low self-esteem. His twin brother, Luigi, has moved into his house and is freeloading there. Luigi decides to become a screenwriter like Mario and attends seminars by screenwriting guru Bowser.
Mario, who rejects formulaic scriptwriting, wants to ensure that his script is a faithful adaptation of The Mushroom Thief but comes to feel that the book does not have a usable narrative and is impossible to turn into a film, which leaves him with a serious case of writer's block. Already well past his deadline with Wario Pictures and despairing of writing his script with self-reference, Mario travels to tge Mushroom Kingdom to discuss the screenplay with Peach directly. Too shy and socially awkward to speak with her upon arriving at her of castle and after he received the surprising news that Luigi's spec script for a clichéd psychological thriller, The Wii, is selling for six or seven figures, Mario resorts to attending Bowser's seminar in New Donk and asks him for advice. Mario ends up asking Luigi to join him in New Donk to assist with the story structure.
Luigi, who is confident socially, pretends to be Mario and interviews Peach but finds her responses suspicious. He and Mario follow Peach to Delfino, where she meets Waluigi, the mushroom-stealing protagonist of her book and her secret lover. It is revealed that the Piantas wanted the ghost mushroom to manufacture a mind-altering drug that causes fascination. Waluigi introduces the drug to Peach. After Waluigi and Peach catch Mario observing them taking the drug and having sex, Peach decides that Mario must be killed to prevent him from exposing her adultery and drug use.
Peach forces Mario to drive to the swamp at gunpoint, intending to kill him. Mario and Luigi escape and hide in the swamp, where they resolve their differences. Waluigi accidentally shoots Luigi. Mario and Luigi drive off but collide head-on with a ranger's truck. Luigi is ejected through the windshield and dies moments later, but Mario is saved by the airbag and runs into the swamp to hide. There he is spotted by Wario, who is killed by a koopa paratroopa before he can kill Mario.
Peach is arrested. Mario reconciles with his mother as he calls to inform her of Luigi's death. He later tells his former love interest, Daisy, that he loves her. She responds that she loves him too. Mario finishes the script, which ends with him announcing in a voice-over that the script is finished and that for the first time, he is filled with hope.

Last edited:
Script outline just leaked

Self-loathing screenwriter Mario Mario is hired to write the screenplay adaptation of Princess Peach's The Mushroom Thief. He struggles with anxiety, social phobia, depression, and low self-esteem. His twin brother, Luigi, has moved into his house and is freeloading there. Luigi decides to become a screenwriter like Mario and attends seminars by screenwriting guru Bowser.
Mario, who rejects formulaic scriptwriting, wants to ensure that his script is a faithful adaptation of The Mushroom Thief but comes to feel that the book does not have a usable narrative and is impossible to turn into a film, which leaves him with a serious case of writer's block. Already well past his deadline with Wario Pictures and despairing of writing his script with self-reference, Mario travels to tge Mushroom Kingdom to discuss the screenplay with Peach directly. Too shy and socially awkward to speak with her upon arriving at her of castle and after he received the surprising news that Luigi's spec script for a clichéd psychological thriller, The Wii, is selling for six or seven figures, Mario resorts to attending Bowser's seminar in New Donk and asks him for advice. Mario ends up asking Luigi to join him in New Donk to assist with the story structure.
Luigi, who is confident socially, pretends to be Mario and interviews Peach but finds her responses suspicious. He and Mario follow Peach to Delfino, where she meets Waluigi, the mushroom-stealing protagonist of her book and her secret lover. It is revealed that the Piantas wanted the ghost mushroom to manufacture a mind-altering drug that causes fascination. Waluigi introduces the drug to Peach. After Waluigi and Peach catch Mario observing them taking the drug and having sex, Peach decides that Mario must be killed to prevent him from exposing her adultery and drug use.
Peach forces Mario to drive to the swamp at gunpoint, intending to kill him. Mario and Luigi escape and hide in the swamp, where they resolve their differences. Waluigi accidentally shoots Luigi. Mario and Luigi drive off but collide head-on with a ranger's truck. Luigi is ejected through the windshield and dies moments later, but Mario is saved by the airbag and runs into the swamp to hide. There he is spotted by Wario, who is killed by a koopa paratroopa before he can kill Mario.
Peach is arrested. Mario reconciles with his mother as he calls to inform her of Luigi's death. He later tells his former love interest, Daisy, that he loves her. She responds that she loves him too. Mario finishes the script, which ends with him announcing in a voice-over that the script is finished and that for the first time, he is filled with hope.
Would watch 3 times in the theatres

Back
Top Bottom