• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion That Super Mario movie is absolutely going to be an isekai, isn't it?

Absolutely guaranteed. This is exactly why Charles Martinet was brought on-board, he has the be the cameo for "Video Game Mario" before Chris Pratt gets sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom.

It's the most boring and generic premise imaginable.

I think you guys are reading waaaay too much into Charles Martinet being there. It could be no different than so many other movies where actors otherwise associated with the franchise have small parts. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Sigourney Weaver being in Ghostbusters 2016 meant nothing important in regards to the story.

Random question: just a few weeks ago I learned about the word Isekai and its meaning and now I read it everywhere on the Internet all of a sudden, is this like the Pink Elephant or is Isakai the next trend?

As others have pointed out, the basic premise of the Mario franchise is an isekai plot to begin with, before it had a short-hand term.
Plumbers who end up in a strange world with creatures and mushroom monsters, with a national dynastic power struggle between a hominid royal and her reptilian counterpart in another nation, with said plumbers ending up in the middle of that never-ending conflict…. That’s an isekai plot.

Cue the astronaut meme.

This mario movie is a “origin story” adapting the early nes games (donkey kong, mario bros, wrecking crew and super mario bros 1).

And i can a sequel adapting both super mario bros 3 and world.

btw, its also hilarious that Miyamoto, who never liked complex plots in videogames is now on Hollywood industry working closely with world known actors, while some other videogame directors would dreamed to be in that place.

Okay but, do I remember right that the "Brooklyn plumbers end up whisked away to the Mushroom Kingdom" premise was something made up by NOA for the instruction manual and then the cartoons just sorta went with it? Aren't Mario and Luigi from the Mushroom Kingdom in the Japanese canon?

Also just to throw my two yen in the mix, if it's an isekai like "Brooklyn plumbers end up in Mushroom Kingdom," I'm down. If it's an isekai like "Kids who love Super Mario games get zapped into their Nintendo and now they ARE the Mario Bros and have to use their knowledge of the game to save the princess," I'm out.

And by "out" I mean "I'll still be seeing it on opening night wearing a Nintendo shirt but I'll gripe about the premise on the internet afterwards"

Okay but, do I remember right that the "Brooklyn plumbers end up whisked away to the Mushroom Kingdom" premise was something made up by NOA for the instruction manual and then the cartoons just sorta went with it? Aren't Mario and Luigi from the Mushroom Kingdom in the Japanese canon?
You know, has the Brooklyn backstory ever appeared in a game or game manual? Like, it's in the 1993 Nintendo of America Character Manual, and a bunch of Mario media used it at the time (the Japanese OVA from 1986 uses a similar backstory too), and I get it as an extension of Mario Bros. taking place in NYC sewers, but I don't think it's ever been used in games or manuals. Am I wrong?
Also just to throw my two yen in the mix, if it's an isekai like "Brooklyn plumbers end up in Mushroom Kingdom," I'm down. If it's an isekai like "Kids who love Super Mario games get zapped into their Nintendo and now they ARE the Mario Bros and have to use their knowledge of the game to save the princess," I'm out.

And by "out" I mean "I'll still be seeing it on opening night wearing a Nintendo shirt but I'll gripe about the premise on the internet afterwards"
...but yeah, this is how I feel. I'd be fine with the classic US backstory.

...but yeah, this is how I feel. I'd be fine with the classic US backstory.
US backstory: Mario is a plumber from Brooklyn who magically gets whisked away to the Mushroom Kingdom while going too deep down a pipe

Japanese backstory: Mario is just some Mushroom Kingdom rando who says "wahoo" a bunch until the princess is kidnapped at which point he says "oh no" and then runs off to rescue her, during which time he gradually transitions back to "wahoo"

Random question: just a few weeks ago I learned about the word Isekai and its meaning and now I read it everywhere on the Internet all of a sudden, is this like the Pink Elephant or is Isakai the next trend?
It's been kind of hot for a few years. If you've missed the term "isekai", maybe you've otherwise seen there are about a thousand manga/anime/light novels with a title like "Reincarnated as an Apple in Another World!" or "Reborn in a Magic World Where I'm The Magicest!"

Time travel is perhaps the most popular kind of isekai fiction, especially with a modern-day person being sent back to feudal times.
To be fair, a typical Isekai requires a distinction between a "real" world (where the main character comes from) and a "fantasy" world (where the main character is pulled into.

In this case, both worlds are the same one and are both "real", with the past world not even being an alternative history; it's more a straight time travel story in that case (though it's still eye rollingly cliche regardless :rolleyes:)

Isekai seems to be a a description for different setups, but the only one I really don't want for this movie is the Jumanji one.

Depends on your definition, but I believe that going back to a different time period, especially against your will, is commonly considered an isekai
InuYasha is considered an isekai anime, so... time travel does count, in a weird way.

Though Oda Nobuna no Yabou isn't classified as isekai, so what time travel stories do and don't count as isekai is kinda arbitrary.

Time travel is perhaps the most popular kind of isekai fiction, especially with a modern-day person being sent back to feudal times.
Conflicting information!

Do we need a poll here?

No need for a poll over the definition of a word, it looks like the term is looser than I thought and Legends: Arceus indeed counts as an isekai!

Although I would still not consider Back to the Future, aka straight up intentional time travel with no "portals" involved, an isekai.

No need for a poll over the definition of a word, it looks like the term is looser than I thought and Legends: Arceus indeed counts as an isekai!

Although I would still not consider Back to the Future, aka straight up intentional time travel with no "portals" involved, an isekai.

We need an isekai alignment chart then 🤔

ede.png

In general I think I hate terms like these. It makes people judge to fast about certain stories.

Wait, shit

If the presence of portals is the differentiating factor...

😮

chrono trigger is an isekai

* runs away sobbing *

Here's what that movie is absolutely going to be:

Like, I'm right, right? That's what that movie is gonna be? That's how they're gonna get away with the voice changes, right? That's why he won't have the Italian accent, right? As Meledandri puts it:

That's why Charles Martinet is just a "cameo" as he's going to play Mario & Co when Pratt's character is outside the game world, right?

What do you think? I'm right aren't I? Right? Am I wrong? If I am, what do YOU Think the movie will be?
I’d rather have a The Lego Movie (hey also starring Chris Pratt !) kind of thing than this.
Man I loved how they did it.

It’s not like Mario “lore” could sustain a movie anyway.
Disagree, bit of self promo, but I have a screenplay that covers 1-3 as the start of a trilogy. It's still Isekai lol but I'm not afraid of the game lore being realized. And Charles Martinet liked it on Twitter 😁

... This is the worst most realistic take I can see Nintendo doing.

But going off Illumination, they don't seem like the kind of company who would go in that direction storytelling-wise. Illumination seems like a company that like's to stay true to the world of the characters they work with. But their writing, humor and storytelling is very lackluster.

I really don't see the movie being good unless Nintendo really put their hand into the making of the movie. In all retrospect they should had gone to Sony Animation who has been having a renaissance of amazing movies using great animation techniques and better storytelling.

In all retrospect they should had gone to Sony Animation who has been having a renaissance of amazing movies using great animation techniques and better storytelling.
And after this week it wouldn't even be the first time we've seen Nintendo and Sony logos on the same project.

I've been noticing the term more since this thread, but I definitely had heard it prior in conversations about Forspoken for example. It's a huge trope in Japan especially.

Back
Top Bottom