• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion Tetsuya Takahashi’s message: The next Xenoblade game will likely be vastly different in style and music

Momo

Octorok

More in the link above.
If there is another “Xenoblade,” it will likely be something vastly different from what came before. In style and in music, I would like to make my next goal something that will betray everyone’s expectations, in a good way.

Last edited:
Yeah we going open world folks! Hope they make enemies level up with you!

(Sorry guys I'm kidding)
They should have level scaling only for Territorial Rotbart. Everything else is the same as usual, but Rotbart is always 60 levels higher than you.

Can’t wait to see what they have next. I believe we will see what Monolith have been cooking, once the new system is announced and games are shown.

This seems to be talking about taking a different music direction and not that the actual game will different.

It could be interpreted that way. Given how he ended his message and his previous messages about Xenoblade’s future, I’m inclined to believe that he’s referring to Xenoblade’s future in general. He’s literally repeating the exact same messages he wrote after Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2’s respective releases.

Admittedly, I’m not saying I’m right, I could very well be wrong.

I think the title of the thread doesn't reflect the quote.

English isn’t my first language. How should I reword it?

Last edited:
How should I reword it?
First, there is no confirmation in what was reported in this thread that a future Xenoblade exists. Secondly, it might not be the game that is radically different but rather the soundtrack.

Good, I love these games but there's 1000 hours of them available, give me something new. Unless the quote is mistranslated, I don't think he's just talking about the music.

So you're saying you are remaking xenosaga? Turn based is a departure from blade battle system ;)

Anyways, he was 99% talking about ost.

Whether he's talking about the music or the next game I'm down for a completely different direction. Waiting to see what the Trinity Box message from Takahashi says as I believe that one is in English.

Perhaps I erroneously created the thread. We only have a machine translation to go off of, and it’s come from someone who claims to have the OST. I will wait until we have actual images of the quote. There should be an English version in the Trinity OST edition, which should hopefully provide us a clearer understanding of Takahashi’s message.

Hard to understand the meaning with that machine translation unfortunately. I am down for something significantly different though.

And his thoughts re: songs like Engage the Enemy and Weight of Life are interesting. I've never liked those, I think they're really cheesy. He seems to understand that those types of songs aren't frequently used nowadays, but also that the fans really like them. I hope what he's saying is that he's going to basically not bother with thinking about the fanservice angle next time.

Well, I am ready for a whole new feeling Xenoblade, not only the music. I still haven't played that far into Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

There are so many interesting scenarios to explore in the possibility space of ideas presented in the series. Heterogeneous societies working together in order to survive under terrifying and unfathomable constraints is one theme I believe has unfulfilled potential.

Perhaps we could have a Xenoblade game about a generation ship sent to find and inhabit a new world, and the struggles they face - internal and external - on the millennia long journey. Factions could rise which believe the task is unachievable, and they argue resources should instead be utilized in order to transform the ship into a permanent habitat. Other groups believe the optimal future lies in different directions. But resources are too limited to explore them all.

Or perhaps we could have a game about an early space-fairing civilization that is becoming increasingly fractured ideologically, as the vast distances between colonies and their incompatible environments create pressure on their societies to diverge. (think: The Expanse).

Or a prehistoric tale which takes place at the dawn of the earliest civilizations, going through a conflict between a nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle and an agricultural one reliant on the new concept of a city-state. And about the need to invent religions and mythologies to serve as unifying narratives, regardless of the truthfulness of their underlying content and the political interests that they serve.

This is the sort of thing Tetsuya Takahashi usually says after each project.

From November 2015 (after the JP release of Xenoblade Chronicles X):
“I tend to get bored with things pretty easily, so I’d like to keep creating things with different approaches every time,” says Takahashi. “Along those lines, I’d definitely like my next project to look and feel pretty different from this one."

From September 2018 (after the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2's DLC):
Though Takahashi says he's not yet ready to talk about what we might see in a future installment of Xenoblade Chronicles, I asked him if there's a chance the series will return to the harder science fiction setting we saw in Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U—i.e. will we return to exploring planets and piloting mechs instead of travelling on the backs of the huge, living Titans that define Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Takashi says it's possible, but a "third option" isn't off the table, either.

"I'm someone who gets bored of whatever it was I did last," he says. "If the [Xenoblade Chronicles] series continues, you just might see it take a third option. It might go down a path it hasn't gone down before."

Heterogeneous societies working together in order to survive under terrifying and unfathomable constraints is one theme I believe has unfulfilled potential.
This is a major part of the xenoblade stories so if they want to do something way more different, 4 probably won't include it as a concept.

The quote largely explains the reasons for the somewhat different approach Xenoblade 3 had musically. He doesn't outright say where and how these "ancient-styled" compositions are reflected in the game, but one can probably deduce that the entire soundtrack was produced with a similar vision from the start, more discreet and ambient-oriented. And, of course, this is best illustrated in the prominence of the off-seers' flutes.

Or a prehistoric tale which takes place at the dawn of the earliest civilizations, going through a conflict between a nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle and an agricultural one reliant on the new concept of a city-state. And about the need to invent religions and mythologies to serve as unifying narratives, regardless of the truthfulness of their underlying content and the political interests that they serve.
You just want a new Terranigma

I wouldn't mind big changes since I'm assuming they're aiming for another trilogy of games, whether it's the setting, gameplay or music style. Looking forward to what they cook up.

This seems to be talking about taking a different music direction and not that the actual game will different.

Well, he mentions the "style and content" of "another Xenoblade", after talking about his nature of preferring change and attacking rather than protecting, unrelated to any particular musical theme.

He's definitely talking about a game there.

Hey @Momo , the mod team took a look at this and we believe this machine translated quote is very likely just related to the soundtrack. We don’t want anyone misled here so we updated the title for now. If we get a better translation or an official one that more strongly points to this being about the next game feel free to edit it back then.

-xghost777, PixelKnight, VolcanicDynamo

Next Xenoblade is gonna have a wrestling robot (like he mentioned when he was interviewed in an artbook last year) and the music is gonna be like a WWE match. They're gonna have the Xenoblade 2 announcer voice return and become a full fledged wrestling announcer for it.

Next Xenoblade is gonna have a wrestling robot (like he mentioned when he was interviewed in an artbook last year) and the music is gonna be like a WWE match. They're gonna have the Xenoblade 2 announcer voice return and become a full fledged wrestling announcer for it.

Haha, is there somewhere I can read this? I hadn't heard about this until now.

I might be alone here, but I'm hoping Monolith Softs next major game isn't Xenoblade. They should give the franchise a short break and try out a new IP. Monolith is talented as hell and I really want to see what else they can do.

I might be alone here, but I'm hoping Monolith Softs next major game isn't Xenoblade. They should give the franchise a short break and try out a new IP. Monolith is talented as hell and I really want to see what else they can do.
tumblr_mkj77ctm2D1s2b2mgo2_250.gif

The Xenoblade team would make Xenoblade and another group from Monolith will make a new IP. We can have both.

More in the link above.
If there is another “Xenoblade,” it will likely be something vastly different from what came before. In style and in music, I would like to make my next goal something that will betray everyone’s expectations, in a good way.

Xenoblade becoming their "Final Fantasy" with just enough connective tissue between entries would be pretty cool.

The difficult part is that the connective tissue feels pretty weak other than combat systems and Nopon. The combat system is hardly one that's worth clinging to. And I kind of hate Nopon - or I should say I hate their English voicing. When I think of common enemies in the games I guess I think of those wolf things and the "giant overpowered gorilla" you spot in early zones, but beyond that I'm not sure what carries over?

As long as they put the same effort into their cast of characters, writing, cutscenes, and world building, I'll be there. Also don't make it a first person shooter.

This bump reminded me my Trinity OST hasn't even shipped yet sigh.

But yeah I'm up for shattering expectations. Xenoblade does need a shake up imo to grow even more.

Give me a Xeno game in the vein of Ghost in the Shell with an ost that gives the chills (I love GIST).

Back
Top Bottom