• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News terarelease 3.0 (Over a terabyte of game protos) has been released, if you can find it.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

To recap, Obscuregamers dropped the original Terarelease back on Christmas. It hasn't really spread around as much as Hidden Palace's Project Deluge, but it still had some major things, including.....

• An unreleased DSiware version of the board game Blokus
  • The "v0" version of Sexy Poker, which had topless nudity that was removed after the Australian Classification Board complained.
  • Over 107 builds of Aliens: Colonial Marines, alongside 158 builds of the multiplayer mode in Batman Arkham Origins
  • Various builds for Sony's Wonderbook projects, one of which had footage of the development team themselves playing it lurking in the files.
  • "Unstoppable Speed Smash", a test PS3 application intended to demonstrate the functionality of the PhyreEngine.
  • An unreleased Wii game based off the film "School Of Rock", there seems to be an interesting story behind this. and i hope to go into further detail on it at some point in the future.
For this new version, i'm still digging through it, But a quick look shows a few major projects. Like an unreleased pitch for a Contra game on 360, 3 different builds of Blur 2, and the unreleased 360 port of Mortal Kombat X.

Full list of unreleased games included
Since i don't really have the proper equipment to test out 360 prototypes, i haven't been able to go as deep into this as i'd like.
But regardless, i figured i might as well list the builds for unreleased games on here.
  • Contra Evolution (The codename for that 360 Contra game)
  • Blur 2
  • Mortal Kombat X on Xbox 360 (Note that this is an extremely early build, and reuses a ton of assets from 9.)
  • "DemoXT" and "TestXT" (Internal tech demos created by Eurocom, they go here because i can't get screenshots or video of them.)
Now that the stuff i've already brought up is done, here's the fresh stuff.

The Mystery of Whiterock Castle

A pretty strange title, being a hidden object game that was clearly designed (and was officially released) for Wiiware. This 360 build would hopefully have higher res graphics at the very least.

Dungeon Twister

Based off the Tabletop game of the same name, for whatever reason this turned into a PS3 exclusive. Note that this build seems to be broken in that it only contains a .xex Executable, though it could potentially be fixed by combining it with the files of the other build (Which is a month newer) that got leaked before.

Elveon

A fantasy RPG that was originally intended to be developed by a then-new studio, 10Tacle studios. Financial issues caused them to collaborate with the western Climax Studios, who eventually took over development completely before the game was canned.

Dead North

Intended to be Eurocom's next project after the poorly received 007 Legends, Activision didn't approve the pitch, and the studio was then shut down on December 2012.
A total of six different builds are included here.

Until Dawn

Before the PS4 adventure title of the same name, Supermassive Games was originally working on the concept as a major PS3 title that was designed for the Playstation Move. This exact build was originally used to demonstrate the game at Gamescom 2012.

And finally as a bonus, here's some gameplay footage of Unstoppable Speed Smash, from the previous Terarelease.

There's basically been zero info of it online despite it's inclusion, so i knew i needed to get it captured. In fact, this was specifically recorded on real hardware.

Wow, 107 builds of Alien Colonel Marines??
Who would have the mental stamina to dig through these for differences?

One interesting build that's not an unreleased title is Suikoden V, not only does it predate the final game by over a year. But it was partially found hidden in the data of a Ys VI demo included in the lot. (Konami published that game in North America.)
SuikodenVDec22_Title.png

Still waiting for that Zelda 64 beta
This will probably never happen, but there's been more than enough leaks of development material out there. It was in the Gigaleak naturally.
Files for it were left in a near-final development cartridge for F-Zero X. (The cart originally stored a Spaceworld build of Ocarina Of Time, and the data for that wasn't fully overwritten by F-Zero.)

and Giles Goddard even showed off footage of a Portal techdemo which reused assets intended for the game.

uh oh
yes, as noted in the new title change. they did drop another set of protos on july 8th.

the problem? obscure gamers quickly deleted all links to the files about two weeks later. and took the other 2 terareleases (and every other file on the site) with it. due to "legal reasons".
from my understanding, you can still access the files if you have the original links. but due to a certain personal situation i didn't realize they even did a 3rd release until it was long gone.

in the meantime, here's one thing i definitely know is in it. another test program like unstoppable speed smash.

I don't understand! So this is some stolen builds from different games? Its okay to promote this here?

Or is this free software? A bit strange.

No, definitely not stolen. these were builds bought from bankruptcy auctions/former developers/etc.
the site switched owners at some point, so that's probably another factor in why this happened. the new one doesn't want to handle the legal stuff.
even if it was stolen. it should still be okay to discuss as long as you don't directly link to the files. see the gigaleak thread for an example of that.

Last edited:
I don't understand! So this is some stolen builds from different games? Its okay to promote this here?

Or is this free software? A bit strange.

a proper listing of notable content in 3.0
yeah. let's start with the two big ones, they honestly probably should get their own threads. but i'd like to confirm if they fully work first.

hellboy: the science of evil dlc
holy_shit.PNG

did you know that guillermo del toro actually did manage to work on a game that was actually released? this hellboy game, based off his duo of films. featured several of the cast members reprising their roles, and was partially written by him.

of course, this being del toro. something had to have gone wrong in the process, and so the game launched with four achievements that were completely impossible to unlock.
was it a bug? nope!

the plan was to release extra dlc for the game at some point. a set of extra chapters starring new (to the film timeline, he was already established in the comics.) character lobster johnson. portrayed by beloved b-movie actor bruce campbell.

however, said dlc never made it out there. leaving those achievements seemingly lost forever....

that is, until the terarelease happened over 14 years later.
there's actually two packs that have been rediscovered. the more important "disposable army" pack featuring lobster, and a simpler "out of gas" bonus level that probably could have fit anywhere in the story.

i say "rediscovered" as the folder listing suggests that this was pulled from the infamous partnernet developer network, presumably seen by countless developers and game journalists unaware of it's historical significance.
the only problem is that i'm still lacking an extra 360 (or even a copy of the game) to test it with, but a cursory look at it's files suggests the content was nearly finished. if not 100% complete prior to it's cancellation.

a pc port of gears of war 2?
unknown.png

unknown.png

those of you who were keeping track of game preservation news may have remembered the long lost ps3 "port" of gears of wars 3, a simple effort from epic games to test the operability of unreal engine 3 on the system.
what you probably weren't aware of was that as part of that same testing regimen, a pc port of 3 was also created. functionally fairly close to the ps3 build in terms of purpose, but with quite a bit more polish.

but with that in mind, the question becomes about how gears 2 was handled. the original game had an officially released port, so could it have once theoretically been possible to play almost the entire series on there?

a random prototype build dated february 1st 2008 could have had the answers.
alongside the standard .xex files used to run the game on an xbox 360, it also included those two windows executables you see above. however, it requires some specific dependencies that currently can't be fully fulfilled.

the first one is simple enough, it's just a 32 bit copy of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. which you can easily grab from microsoft themselves.
but the other is where the problem lies. those "wxmsw28u" dll files are an internal set of dlls used by the unreal engine 3 sdk. you can extract a version of it from the publicly released sdk, but the issue is that the sdk version (the earliest one out there is dated november 2009) happens to be too new for this proto. merely causing it to fire out an error message on launch.

i suspect some reverse engineering work could be done to get it to accept the newer .dll file, but it's far beyond my technical skill level.

misc items
  • a dump of a hard drive used to develop the notorious burger king xbox/360 games, containing various development assets.
  • dlc for the poorly received rhythm game "Power Gig: Rise of the SixString" including a single unreleased song, megadeth's "tornado of souls".
  • a build (predating it's release by 15 months) of the original version of malice, back when it was intended to be a major release that featured voice acting by the band "no doubt", really.
  • an unreleased xbox 360 port of the psp/wii exclusive Dave Mirra BMX Challenge
  • an early version of "the gunstringer" made back when it was supposed to be a simple xbla game like twisted pixel's other releases, rather than becoming a full retail title meant to push the kinect. (though i'm not 100% sure if this build uses gamepad controls, or if it was always meant to use the peripheral.)
  • a bunch of unreleased dlc for the 2008 turok game, including several test maps.
  • and a good chunk of repeats from previous releases, unfortunately.

obscuregamers last release: the DECHA lot
yeah, one more of these.
from what i understand. this was posted on the site very shortly before they took down all downloads. so it would be even harder to find than the terareleases normally.
though thankfully it has been mirrored on a certain digital library mainly known for preserving websites. you probably know what i'm talking about. 🤔

anyways, it's a much smaller lot. but has some major items in comparison. here they are.

a 2012 ps3 build of resogun

no, that's not a typo. horsemarque actually started development of this game on ps3.
the build date (october 29th 2012) is about a few months prior to sony sending out finalized ps4 devkits. so this is probably why they stuck with ps3 at the time.
the game would eventually be released on the console in 2014. but by that point they threw on a separate co-developer (climax studios) to finalize it.

a pair of unreleased titles from epos game studios
PENSIONABLES_interim_22nd_Oct_2010_1.png

PinballNG.png

epos, for those unaware. was the developer of the early digital-only ps3 game crash commando.

the top game is "pensionables", a top down shooter where you control a team of 4 commandos. only one level was made for it, and there's not really much you can do there aside from running around and destroying the environment.

the bottom game is "Pinball Reality", a planned collection of digital pinball tables. 4 were in development. "viking rumble", "fright fest", "mobster madness", and a pinball adaption of the aforementioned crash commando.
but only the fright fest table actually works. (a bit of data for the other three still exists in the files, but i have no idea on how to convert it into something viewable.)
the sudden jump in genres may seem unusual at first, but the studio was founded by a group of former DICE employees. who started by making pinball games before jumping into the world of shooters like the ever-popular battlefield series.

puppeteer, now with a full debug menu!
Puppet_2.png

that's right, in this 2011 build of the beloved cult classic. there's a full debug menu you can access at any time.
i really wish i could add more info. but a lot of the options are in japanese, and i haven't really played much of the final build, so it's a bit difficult to fully judge differences.

title fight (aka playstation all stars battle royale)
FTqszUjWQAEHl9N.jpg

another build i haven't really looked into, but is probably filled with intriguing content.
this would predate the final release by over a year. but i'd imagine what you're really interested in is that utterly terrifying concept art of parappa.
unknown.png

it's beytah time.

so yeah, that's basically the end in terms of obscure gamers various proto releases. there's thankfully plenty of other groups out there still dropping prototypes.
but the sheer breadth of content dropped all at once probably won't be replicated for a while.

Back
Top Bottom