• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Temtem heading towards its last update, dropping microtransactions

Party Sklar

of the Famiboards family, a Tojo clan subsidiary
Pronouns
he/him

Temtem studio Crema communicated about the future of its Pokémon-like: the next two major updates will be the last ones so they can focus on developing the spin-off Temtem: Swarm, although they'll keep working on improving the game afterwards.

version 1.7 will contain what you would usually expect from a big patch: a new Season, a new Tamer Pass, balance changes, new features, bug fixing, and quality of life updates. It is a normal size update, the sort you’ve been used to seeing so far. In this case, as promised, the Arcade Bar will make its appearance with a new building, some minigames we hope you’ll enjoy, and new obtainable rewards.

As for future patches, we are planning to have 1.8 be the last feature-oriented patch. 1.8 will not have a Tamer Pass, nor a Season, and there won’t be more Seasons going forward. This doesn’t mean there won’t be new patches in the future: we’ll continue polishing, fixing bugs, and balancing Temtem for as long as it needs it.

With version 1.7, the studio will drop microtransactions altogether, and the 1.8 will put the game in a state where you can enjoy all the content from former season passes in order to ensure the game's longevity.

As of 1.7, all of the microtransactions in the game will be gone.
  • You won’t be able to purchase Novas anymore.
  • The Novas you already own will be usable as always, and you’ll be able to purchase cosmetics from the Daily and Weekly Shop, as well as the Tamer Pass.
  • Anything you could purchase with Novas will also be purchasable with Feathers from now on. This includes Tamer Passes, and anything from the Weekly and Daily shop.
  • We will share more details as patch 1.7 gets closer!
As of 1.8, we’re making a handful of changes to alleviate FOMO.
  • You’ll be able to select any Tamer Pass from the past, and complete its tracks.
  • You’ll also be able to unlock the Premium track of any past Tamer Pass, this time using Feathers.
  • You’ll be able to switch between Passes at any given time, and your progress in each one will remain preserved.
  • We also want to adjust the store and take away as much FOMO as possible.

Some other changes will be brought to the game with 1.8, including some quality of life improvements, balance changes, a "renovation and rework of the game’s economy, with special focus and a close look on the endgame activities", all to make the game playable and enjoyable for – we can hope – years to come. The studio also assures that they don't plan on closing the servers.

Regarding the aforementioned fear of impending server closure, rest assured it’s not in the plans. One of the biggest benefits of Temtem’s foundations and initial design is that server costs are slim, meaning we can take care of its costs for a really, really long time. With the game servers perpetually online, we’re not contemplating an offline mode. That said, we completely intend to uphold our promise that we will always provide a way to play Temtem.

As well as passing on the news, I wondered if these updates would inspire those of you who haven't done so to give it a try? I imagine that dropping the microtransactions (which were only cosmetic), might result in a more chill gaming experience.

I've definitely had my eye on this, just haven't gotten around to it. I should also try Cassette Beasts.

Overall that's amazing for the health of their game, and for longetivity and a good move. I am slightly more interested in trying it out.

I cannot help but wonder how people who purchased all of this content feel though.

I didn't even know Temtem even had microtransactions. Huh.
Me either. But the last time I really paid attention was pre-1.0.

I'm glad they're dropping the MTX and FOMO though. I might check it out again after this goes live. Never really vibed with the monster designs.

I backed the original Kickstarter and quite enjoyed what I played of TemTem, but I never finished the campaign.

I should get back to it sometime.

The microtransactions and monetization were very benign, and certainly not out of place for live service games like TemTem was.

EDIT:

I have not been keeping up with the game at all, so that TemTem: Swarm game was new to me, also really cool to see an animated series is in the works:

But that’s not all! In our hope to build a strong IP that people enjoy in many ways, we are trying to broaden the Temtem horizons beyond videogames, and have been working on such projects for a while now. As most of you may already know, an animated series is in the works! We can’t share much yet, but we are very excited about how it currently looks and believe it will be a fantastic approach to the Temtem world for players and non-players alike.

Last edited:
I assume they're closing down because they saw Palworld's sales, and their souls just left their bodies.

I don't know what they sold and i'm sure nothing they did would have got them even close to Palworld but it's funny to think about how they probably would have sold like twice as much as what they did if they had just copied Pokemon's monster designs more closely

I don't know what they sold and i'm sure nothing they did would have got them even close to Palworld but it's funny to think about how they probably would have sold like twice as much as what they did if they had just copied Pokemon's monster designs more closely
You mean if they had guns

And ripped all their art and sound assets from other games. And basically make a grind asset flip, base-builder, game. Like, if I were TemTem's studio, I'd be insulted by Palworld's success.

They killed their own success early on.

Temtem looked super promising, but the main dealbreaker was the combination of the game being always online and their hyperaggressive stance against datamining (calling it cheating and permanently banning players who did so, which combined with always online rendered the entire game, even the single player component, unplayable). Both of those killed any interest for most audiences this would appeal to.

The other questionable thing was forcing all battles to be doubles. I get that's Pokemon VGCs official format but for a more casual player, double battles are a fun gimmick, not something they'd want to build their entire teams around.

Disappointed, but not surprised. The fact they're still keeping the game online only makes the disappointment only larger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom