• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Tears Of The Kingdom VS. Baldur's Gate 3: Which One Will Take GOTY At The Game Awards (betting thread)

who will win GOTY at The Game Awards

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll like TOTK to win. But BG3 does look good and I think a Western centric Awards Show is more likely to give the GOTY to BG3.
Well... No qualms after either one (or any of the other nominees) winning. All good games.

Still think it'll be BG3, but Alan Wake picking up quite a few awards so far is definitely making it feel like a more viable wildcard.

Totk will Winn if the people choosing are shills

Bc3 deserves it, I’m choosing totk
/hj

Almost that time! I voted TotK when the thread first went up, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be changing my avatar real soon, lol

Botw did far away better than its competitor to overcome the debuff. But i dont think Totk have such power to overcome the debuff right now, even i think Totk did better than BG3 in gameplay experience.

I remembered that when 2017 GOTY announced, aonuma feel surprised too, they just though they were an also-ran.

You honestly think that Nintendo/The Legend of Zelda have a debuff when it comes to critics and media outlets? The company and series that gets almost universal praise because of their excellent work, at least during this past generation?

I still think back to TGA 2020 and how a lot of us felt like Animal Crossing New Horizons was the game that reigned the osmosis that year and that it winning GOTY would make for the better "narrative" in a year as fucked as 2020.

AC fans will disagree now but it still should've won for a litany of reasons.
I really think goty needs to be reavaluated

Animal crossing was one of ten defining moments of the year, not just in games but like, out of everything.

It’s like Taylor swift wining potty this year.

It seems to be based on critical darling or whatever but idk.

I think it should be changed to which game defined that year of gaming the most, or which one had the most review sites screaming.

I think a goty should be something that can be looked back on historically, games like last of us two and it takes two, just aren’t that, there’s just good or even games. But last of us 2 was a blip compared to ac that year.

But maybe that’s just me.

I also voted in the poll before it was added to the thread title this was an avatar bet. Thought it was just for fun

I knew it was an avatar bet but didn't realize voting in the poll without posting would count. Not doing that shit, sorry.

Add me to the people who didn't know voting in the poll would result in participating in the avatar bet. I don't want to participate in that, sorry

Count me out as well. Not really interested in avatar bet stuff. I'm sure it's fun for others though.

baldur%27s-gate-3-karlach.gif

A Switch game is not winning GOTY in 2023. TOTK is also too derivative of BOTW to win GOTY
Confirmed. Also I never cared too much for the previous games of baldurs gate series só I don't really know what so special about the third one. anyone who played care to explain it a little?

Confirmed. Also I never cared too much for the previous games of baldurs gate series só I don't really know what so special about the third one. anyone who played care to explain it a little?
There really is no RPG on the market that plays as closely to a pen and paper like BG3. It’s an actual D&D campaign, with as many permutations as you might expect from playing with an actual real life dungeon master and party.

I knew the game would win all these awards when the squirrel video became viral a few months back

The re-using of BOTW's map and assets is definitely hurting TOTK's chances in all these GOTY debates. If it had launched with an all new map and setting then I think it would have been clearing up right now. At the end of the day people just want to explore new worlds when they play a new video game, and despite TOTK being superior to BOTW in pretty much every aspect, re-visiting an old world has less impact on players then exploring a brand new one.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge achievement in storytelling and narrative which hopefully gets other devs to step up their game, but for me personally it's D&D trappings hamper its gameplay too much to be put on the same pedestal as TOTK. It needs a good group of friends for it to really shine, much like D&D proper TBH.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge achievement in storytelling and narrative which hopefully gets other devs to step up their game, but for me personally it's D&D trappings hamper its gameplay too much to be put on the same pedestal as TOTK. It needs a good group of friends for it to really shine, much like D&D proper TBH.
Yeah I'm not too much into heavy text games so I guess I will probably never play this.

I will say one thing, it’s extremely funny how something like 75% of the games announced in the event were clearly inspired by Breath of the Wild, yet the Breath of the Wild sequel got only one award lol

Also, considering the whole storytelling/narrative thing, Nintendo does not do games with considerable lore, they're mostly focused on gameplay and interactability, and yet most games you see in TGA are the opposite. A Mario game will probably never win a GOTY in the event.

I’m excited to play BG3 one day. Expected this to happen but voted TotK anyway. I accept my fate.

Also, considering the whole storytelling/narrative thing, Nintendo does not do games with considerable lore, they're mostly focused on gameplay and interactability, and yet most games you see in TGA are the opposite. A Mario game will probably never win a GOTY in the event.
I dunno, the only thing that stopped Mario Odyssey winning in 2017 was the fact it launched same year as BOTW. A 3D Mario that absolutely knocks it out the park absolutely has a chance (provided it doesn't launch 2025, because we all know GTA6 is nailed on for that year).

Mario Wonder's issue was that it's a 2D platformer, which is a genre that these awards generally neglect in favour of open world/action heavy narrative games. It is an issue that plagues TGAs if I'm honest. You can make a case that Street Fighter 6 was done dirty this year. And let's not forget when Forza Horizon 5 didn't even get a nomination despite being the highest reviewed game of the year.
Ironically the one area/award I think BG3 did better than TOTK (narrative) is the one award that BG3 didn't get. Funny how that works out.
As big an achievement as BG3 was on the narrative front, I am very glad Alan Wake 2 got the nod there, because Remedy and Sam Lake knocked it out the park in that department. Then again, I've always preferred games that take me by the hand and tell one excellent story than those that let me choose my own.

Ironically the one area/award I think BG3 did better than TOTK (narrative) is the one award that BG3 didn't get. Funny how that works out.
I saw that one coming, BG3's narrative is solid but it's got too many variables, which is a good thing for the type of game it is but a more streamlined, well told story like Alan Wake 2 will hit better for a lot of people. AW2 definitely deserved that one.

I’m excited to play BG3 one day. Expected this to happen but voted TotK anyway. I accept my fate.
I'm just throwing my opinion here. Not saying it's correct or valid.
But first of all BG3 is a crossplatform game. It would have a much wider userbase then games that were only on one platform. So voting for a single platform game vs a multiplatform game isn't compatible.

Second, i've always asked which new gameplay mechanics were introduced that are an evolution compared to divinity original sin 2 already did. What kind of new things do it introduce that no other games already do (not talking about adding some extra skill tree, classes or other stats that is just adding an extra layer).

I did bought BG1 & 2 and so on on switch to play them again. And i will play BG3 for sure (if steamdeck can handle it fine enough).
It was also on stadia as early access, but didn't played yet during that time as there was not so much talk about it yet.

Quoted by: Ab
I'm just throwing my opinion here. Not saying it's correct or valid.
But first of all BG3 is a crossplatform game. It would have a much wider userbase then games that were only on one platform. So voting for a single platform game vs a multiplatform game isn't compatible.

Second, i've always asked which new gameplay mechanics were introduced that are an evolution compared to divinity original sin 2 already did. What kind of new things do it introduce that no other games already do (not talking about adding some extra skill tree, classes or other stats that is just adding an extra layer).

I did bought BG1 & 2 and so on on switch to play them again. And i will play BG3 for sure (if steamdeck can handle it fine enough).
It was also on stadia as early access, but didn't played yet during that time as there was not so much talk about it yet.
Totk sold at least double of BG3 so idk if this applies lol

Totk sold at least double of BG3 so idk if this applies lol
Well that aint true. Bg3 is at 22mil vs totk on 19mil. But even so, there are no stats on how many did vote on this just to make sure totk would not win, even without owning the game. I read a lot of hate comments on reddit about this). But as we dont know this, it still feels unfair to compare a multplatform game with a none multiplatform game. Im sure that bg3 is a really good game and derserve to be a candidate.

Quoted by: Ab
Well that aint true. Bg3 is at 22mil vs totk on 19mil. But even so, there are no stats on how many did vote on this just to make sure totk would not win, even without owning the game. I read a lot of hate comments on reddit about this). But as we dont know this, it still feels unfair to compare a multplatform game with a none multiplatform game. Im sure that bg3 is a really good game and derserve to be a candidate.
Ah I read about three different pages saying different numbers, my fault. But yeah even so, I'm sure people voted for totk without playing it as well. They sold similar numbers either way

Ah I read about three different pages saying different numbers, my fault. But yeah even so, I'm sure people voted for totk without playing it as well. They sold similar numbers either way
Could be that some switch owners did. But it would be never the ratio compared to the other userbase. So my point remains.

punishment time

Back
Top Bottom