• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Tears of the Kingdom and its marketing (or lack thereof) - how do you feel?

Honestly my expectations have been set since 2019 that the selling point is "another open-world Zelda". BotW was unique in being the first true HD open-world Zelda so TotK was never going to be unique or be able to market that as its one 'thing'. I mean how have been sequels to other open-world games been marketed? From what I can tell it's usually "this time it's bigger" "new environments" "there's a different story". And that's what we've seen so far. I still think the world is the connective tissue, again, but recontextualized with verticality above and below. Beyond the premise of an open-world, BotW didn't show much connective tissue in its marketing, no mention of Divine Beasts or the various tribes you have to save beyond brief glimpses in a story trailer two months before release, and that's probably what they'll do again.

I think it's fair to be disappointed by them reusing the art style and the world map. And I get it, six years. For what it's worth, I don't think they've done a good job at making it obvious "here are caves" "here are underground areas" "the traversal is entirely seamless", I can tell from analyzing the trailers but it's not made glaringly obvious. If this were a different dev team I wouldn't be this accommodating or apologetic but they've actively documented their process on how they designed countless iterations of BotW's map to make exploration feel fun, so while this game could be a fuck up, the probability of that feels low.
Yeah, I think I get where you're coming from here. I think the biggest thing for me has always been "how is this justifying using the same world again?" If it can do that - and I think it will despite my trepidation - then I will be satisfied. However, I still hold a bit of concern for it that I don't think is gonna go away through arguing - so I'm gonna leave this particular argument here :p

Either way, I've decided not to be so down on the game from now on. Legit just feels better being excited for it instead of arguing about it lol. Gonna get my pre-order in now (alongside Pikmin 4, I think).

Using the same world can be really fun if:

1) it's changed substantially

and/or

2) it's not the main area you play the game in

Dark Souls 3 comes to mind, that area was a huge hit with fans when they saw it. It'll probably be the same here, much of the world will be completely different and the areas that aren't different will have you gushing nostalgically.

I knew I was going to buy TotK June 11, 2019. The pre-order is in.

There's nothing I have to see. There's no marketing needed. Release the game and sell your 20-30M copies.

After all the discourse wondering if BotW had towns Nintendo showed us a trailer that had Kakariko Village and Gerudo Town.

They actually answered the questions people had about BotW. They're not doing that for TotK.

They showed them in the last trailer 2 months before launch.

Nothing stops them from doing a TotK Direct to show such a trailer, show gameplay and announce the TotK OLED model.

Not a fan. It feels like this weird middling approach, either show the game off properly or literally show nothing at all. I think it would have been much cooler for them to just give us the logo of the game and nothing else and tell us to buy it blind. This has just been a series of kinda meh trailers.

They actually answered the questions people had about BotW. They're not doing that for TotK.
One question they answered with this latest trailer that many people had was "Bokoblins, moblins and lizalfos AGAIN?!". They showed quite a few new enemy types here.

After all the discourse wondering if BotW had towns Nintendo showed us a trailer that had Kakariko Village and Gerudo Town.

Aonuma answered the 'no towns' question in an interview around E3 2016 and explicitly said they were hiding them for spoiler reasons. I don't think they're deciding what goes in these trailers to answer specific concerns.

Yeah, I think this trailer just missed the mark. Being the third out of the last five general Directs to end with a Tears of the Kingdom trailer meant it just wasn't inherently exciting to get any tiny glimpse of the game anymore. The September trailer, as short as it was, at least had the title and release date reveals to give it a bit of extra oomph. But with this one, I think people were expecting to finally see something more substantial, and what we got was mostly another series of short, disconnected clips that show off a couple cool new things but are lacking any big attention-grabbing moments or selling points.

I'm confident that the game will be fun because the Zelda team is working on it. But as the point of marketing is to get people excited about the game, I can't say the past couple trailers have succeeded in doing much of that at all. The first teaser was certainly intriguing and the reveal of the sky islands in E3 2021 excited the imagination, but what we've got since then has not expanded upon that in any meaningful way. It would be nice to get a proper gameplay showcase soon, even if it's only five minutes or so, as I feel that would display the new abilities and mechanics much more effectively than these montages do.

What we really need is a hint that the Zelda devs understand our feelings right now. For instance, it would be enough if in an IGN interview Aonuma were asked: "Fans are kind of worried right now that you're not showing enough new stuff in ToTK, what do you think?" and he would simply answer by laughing and saying "They haven't seen anything".

Lol.

I think it makes sense. People are going to buy it from the name alone. So far all I've seen is the original trailer, the amiibo, a screenshot of Link riding the banjo nuts and bolts car, and a screenshot of Link on a grind rail in Wild Canyon. That's enough to sell me.

Well of course the "No Towns" discourse happened before their reveal yes

Just as this games "DLC" discourse is happening before a reveal of more to come. We are still 2 months out and they just started the marketing.

It’s a double edged sword

If the marketing is this way because there’s a massive amount of stuff to still be seen, then I don’t really care. Game is right around the corner anyway.

However, if the marketing is this way because this is all there is to the game, and what you see is what you get, that’s very disappointing and confusing.

BTW I liked the latest trailer, generally

Also, i’m like 95% confident when the game releases, people will be able to create fan trailers that match the intensity of the final BOTW one. Even if the marketing continues to not be so great.

Well of course the "No Towns" discourse happened before their reveal yes

Just as this games "DLC" discourse is happening before a reveal of more to come. We are still 2 months out and they just started the marketing.
It happens again and again yet ppl keep doing that.
It happened with botw and the whole towns thing.
It happened with Mario Odyssey with the whole autorunner thing (plus the whole enemy capturing mechanic wasn't revealed until what a month before release?)
It happened with Xeno 3 and the lack of info a mobth before release.
It happened recently with GOW Ragnarok.

It happens again and again yet ppl keep doing that.
It happened with botw and the whole towns thing.
It happened with Mario Odyssey with the whole autorunner thing (plus the whole enemy capturing mechanic wasn't revealed until what a month before release?)
It happened with Xeno 3 and the lack of info a mobth before release.
It happened recently with GOW Ragnarok.
ahahah I forgot about the Odyssey autorunner controversy

so funny in retrospect knowing what we know now

Tears of the Kingdom has been the 'one more thing' stinger for four different Directs and we still don't know basics like the story premise. It's clearly been overteased and I'm not going to get excited about it until I'm given a reason to.

I don't care. I know the game is coming out and that I will probably buy it.

That's Nintendo's problem.

I'm sure that in a vacuum, it will be a great game. But we're not in a vacuum and BOTW is a thing. Thus, after 6 years, I'm expecting something fabulous and those trailers make me doubt that I will get my wish granted.

I'm not worried about what they haven't shown, I hope to be surprised, but rather I'm worried about what we've seen looking very much samey to BOTW. I had a bit of the same feeling with Splatoon 3, hoping until the very end that some really disruptive stuff justifying the sequel would be shown or present in the game, and it ended up being mostly more of the same.

While I can accept that for a multiplayer game such as Splatoon, more of the same is a hard pill to swallow following a game such as BOTW which felt revolutionary in so many aspects. Especially considering the fact that it took them 5-6 year to make this sequel and they didnΒ΄t have to rebuild an engine and most assets.

What we really need is a hint that the Zelda devs understand our feelings right now. For instance, it would be enough if in an IGN interview Aonuma were asked: "Fans are kind of worried right now that you're not showing enough new stuff in ToTK, what do you think?" and he would simply answer by laughing and saying "They haven't seen anything".
Aonuma mentioned in an IGN interview in summer '16 they were hiding towns for spoiler reasons but the no villages discourse still happened. Once worry begins it will spread regardless of what the developers say. Aonuma has already talked about an expanded world that goes beyond the sky and has explicitly said they chose to make a sequel cause the scope grew too large for DLC.

It's a necessary approach. They know the majority of people playing this will have played BOTW. So the joy of discovery will be centered around rediscovering places you already know and finding out what's different. Ergo they can't show too much as they would risk spoiling the game.

I'll admit the trailers have been lacking...but I also think the 2017 BOTW trailer is being over hyped here. That trailer presented the story of the game as being more prominent and at the forefront than it was, and the majority of the trailer is just basic gameplay shots set to a song that isn't even in the main game. It's well put together but it doesn't really represent the game itself, so the comparisons feel unfair.

I think it's pretty clear that the marketing is deliberately hiding stuff. Part of the magic of BotW was that it was so fresh and there was so much to discover, an iterative sequel to an extremely well recieved game like that makes sense not to show a lot of info for.

I guess I also have an unpopular opinion in that I don't think the trailers are bad. I think they show an interesting, if iterative, game that I'm excited to play. I don't really get why there are so many of them though, since we're not given info too unique in each of them.

I like the idea of this approach, but unfortunately I don't think they've executed the best version of what they're going for.

Four rounds of mysteriously setting up questions about the game, with no rounds of answering them means the balance is off. Unfortunately this latest one more thing teaser felt like a retread of the first three, and I don't feel like I know any more about TotK after last night than I did before.

Actually, there is one new thing. Unfortunately it's that the voice acting will still be bad.

TOTK is basically a glorified DLC pack for BOTW. That's it. There's nothing more to really show. It's BOTW with a couple of new runes (Time Stop and Drill), as well as a modified BOTW map, some new story cutscenes and an expanded array of constructable vehicles. That's the game.

After roughly 6 years of development? That's enormously disappointing.
damn you've played it???

Lots of times, when they do trailers like this, they have someone talk a little about the game afterwards, show some screenshots, give an idea of the general concepts. Like when pikmin 4 was first announced they made it clear to mention the camera change. If they did one or two of those for totk, I bet people’s impressions would be very different. But I guess they’re just gonna bet on the idea that a BotW sequel doesn’t need all that and should remain mysterious. As long as the game is amazing I’ll be happy that they showed less.

Lots of times, when they do trailers like this, they have someone talk a little about the game afterwards, show some screenshots, give an idea of the general concepts. Like when pikmin 4 was first announced they made it clear to mention the camera change. If they did one or two of those for totk, I bet people’s impressions would be very different. But I guess they’re just gonna bet on the idea that a BotW sequel doesn’t need all that and should remain mysterious. As long as the game is amazing I’ll be happy that they showed less.
I’m not gonna be surprised if they have a Zelda dedicated Direct about a month before release. That is when the marketing will really kick into gear anyway. From there don’t be surprised if they have something like what your describing through Twitter if they don’t do the Direct near the final trailer.

I’m not gonna be surprised if they have a Zelda dedicated Direct about a month before release. That is when the marketing will really kick into gear anyway. From there don’t be surprised if they have something like what your describing through Twitter if they don’t do the Direct near the final trailer.
That’s the problem though. A dedicated Zelda direct would be the inverse. It would be too much information.

That’s the problem though. A dedicated Zelda direct would be the inverse. It would be too much information.
I disagree. Nintendo did a whole E3 including a final trailer + multiple days of Treehouse & interviews.

A dedicated Direct ~20-30mins should give the very basics of what the game is & still leave a lot left to actually playing the game. For those who think there is too much information then they ignore it.

The real question is: it's the marketing that is bad or is the game that is bad?
You can't expect the marketing to blow people's mind if the game itself can't blow people's mind.

I've always felt this way, but Hi-Fi Rush really solidified how much I hate long/extended marketing cycles for games. Like announce a game within 12 months of it releasing and just.... release it. If a game is good/bad, it will be outlined in reviews and everyone these days will have access to seeing gameplay because of streamers. So you don't need a bunch of trailers and showcases leading up to a game's release. All they do is just make me become more disinterested the longer it takes to release (see Yoshi's Woolly World for Wii U).

So for TotK, I'm glad they're not explaining too much. I just wish they would have announced it last year instead of 2019.

People begging to be marketed to is wild to me. Even though I get that you really just want to know more about the game and little patience to wait for it. The % of people being legitimately on the fence about this game and are letting the marketing determine it for them has got to be miniscule (though I imagine a high portion of that segment are posting about it in various places).

Personally, I am indifferent to it, because I am buying the game anyway, and I am not even going to watch more trailers. In fact, I stopped watching yesterday's Direct when the Tears of the Kingdom segment kicked in.

But overall, I do think Nintendo could be doing more to inflate the current level of hype surrounding the game. I am sure they will get there eventually, though, when they inevitably dedicate an entire presentation to it.

Haven't Nintendo more than earned the benefit of the doubt here? Especially EPD3?

Gotta trust the process.
The same team that created an internal 'Reddit' system for developers to leave sticky note comments around the world for feedback, used the Hero's Path tool to determine which areas were frequently visited in playtesting, and spoke in-depth at developers' conferences about needing to modify terrain visibility so the player can see exciting places to visit from certain vantage points, etc.

Like what's more likely here - the marketing is underwhelming and hidey-hidey but the game is great, or the game itself is bad? Balance of probability, it may be subjectively disappointing to a group of folks for various reasons, but this will be a quality title. This team has earned my trust, that transition from SS -> LBW -> BotW was huge.

Haven't Nintendo more than earned the benefit of the doubt here? Especially EPD3?

Gotta trust the process.
Apparently not. The people that made one of the best, if not the best game of all time are ready to deliver us a 6 year old dlc and call it a day. What a bunch of hacks!

Gotta trust the process.
The problem is they're actively choosing to show things that are giving people doubt. They're not just saying "trust me", they're saying "trust me in the face of all these things that suggest you shouldn't trust me."

The #1 question people have about this game, that they're had about this game since before it was even announced, is whether or not it has proper dungeons. Not only have they not shown any, they haven't even shown that it has something analogous to shrines instead. This is a Zelda game and 3 months before launch they haven't showing anything related to one of the most fundamental aspects of a Zelda game.

The most important component of BotW was the sense of exploration and discovery. One of the most important questions people have about this game is how it will capture that same sense despite taking place in the same map. Are the sky islands as expansive as the overworld? Will the map change dramatically after some story beat to the point it feels new? BotW had 8 towns. Are there that many towns up in the sky? Underwater? Underground? Back in the past? Nintendo hasn't shown or commented on the scale of the sky at all.

How does progression work? Are we still conquering mini dungeons to get macguffins to upgrade our health and stamina? Does stamina even still exist? Do we learn new abilities throughout the game or get them all at the beginning? Is it more narrative driven given that we're not doing the whole memory loss thing? Is building vehicles one of the core systems of the game? Is building incrementally better vehicles how we're supposed to get to higher and higher sky islands?

Have the systems from BotW been improved or changed? The inventory/equipment system in BotW was particularly cumbersome. Have they improved it? Armor scaled very poorly. Did they address that? Do we still even have armor? Having essentially infinite food and the ability to heal while paused trivialized the challenge of the game. Have they addressed that? Do you heal in real time? Is there still cooking?

Like these are very, very fundamental questions that aren't being answered. This goes so far beyond Nintendo being coy.

Like these are very, very fundamental questions that aren't being answered. This goes so far beyond Nintendo being coy.

Or...they will do what they've done with most of their other titles and about one to two months out reveal so much information everyone knows too much. Like...this has been their marketing style for years now. Everything that has a main hook is saved until near the release of the game to hype it up.

I mean, sure, there's a miniscule chance it is as you say and Nintendo has decided to make a worse version of the game that removes everything about BOTW and makes sure to have nothing of interest beyond vehicles and they are trying to hide it so you will spend money before it releases. But for you do say it so declaratively as if it's 100% fact despite it just being your gut feeling with 0 evidence in support of it.

Lol.

Actually yeah, despite my feelings of "this game will be a banger regardless" they should do that. Or at least have someone from NOA translate for them and do it.

The gift and curse of keeping things way too close to the chest for too long, doesn't work for all of us.

Actually yeah, despite my feelings of "this game will be a banger regardless" they should do that. Or at least have someone from NOA translate for them and do it.
Interview answers don't gain much steam. Aonuma confirmed towns near E3 '16 and people still rode with a no villages narrative. Game needs an in-depth showcase which I expect soon.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was basically advertised as "here's more Galaxy with a dash of Yoshi" and most review outlets described it as "an expansion pack for the first game," but that didn't stop it from being awesome. I think Tears of the Kingdom will be fine.

The marketing is doing a pretty bad job of selling the game, but the game itself looks fantastic from what details can be gleaned from it

The problem is they're actively choosing to show things that are giving people doubt. They're not just saying "trust me", they're saying "trust me in the face of all these things that suggest you shouldn't trust me."
Most people are gonna β€œtrust them” and leave it at that. What are the suggestions even that would suggest for people to not trust them.

Or...they will do what they've done with most of their other titles and about one to two months out reveal so much information everyone knows too much. Like...this has been their marketing style for years now. Everything that has a main hook is saved until near the release of the game to hype it up.
Nintendo has had a direct dedicated to one of their games a month before launch 6 times in the history of the Switch, and 4 of those 6 times were for Xenoblade and Splatoon. It's not what they normally do, and they're never done it for Zelda.

I mean, sure, there's a miniscule chance it is as you say and Nintendo has decided to make a worse version of the game that removes everything about BOTW and makes sure to have nothing of interest beyond vehicles and they are trying to hide it so you will spend money before it releases. But for you do say it so declaratively as if it's 100% fact despite it just being your gut feeling with 0 evidence in support of it.
No one said this but go off chief.

Interview answers don't gain much steam. Aonuma confirmed towns near E3 '16 and people still rode with a no villages narrative. Game needs an in-depth showcase which I expect soon.

Yeah we're 90-something days out.

The game is a prime candidate for a Nintendo Treehouse showcase and press will probably lift preview embargos on that date as well. I'm thinking March/early April.

I don't think they need to give specific answers to every line of critique given to BotW, that seems like something that would inevitably be covered by p/reviews and Nintendo knows word-of-mouth worked tremendously for the first game.

The #1 question people have about this game, that they're had about this game since before it was even announced, is whether or not it has proper dungeons. Not only have they not shown any, they haven't even shown that it has something analogous to shrines instead. This is a Zelda game and 3 months before launch they haven't showing anything related to one of the most fundamental aspects of a Zelda game.

The most important component of BotW was the sense of exploration and discovery. One of the most important questions people have about this game is how it will capture that same sense despite taking place in the same map. Are the sky islands as expansive as the overworld? Will the map change dramatically after some story beat to the point it feels new? BotW had 8 towns. Are there that many towns up in the sky? Underwater? Underground? Back in the past? Nintendo hasn't shown or commented on the scale of the sky at all.

How does progression work? Are we still conquering mini dungeons to get macguffins to upgrade our health and stamina? Does stamina even still exist? Do we learn new abilities throughout the game or get them all at the beginning? Is it more narrative driven given that we're not doing the whole memory loss thing? Is building vehicles one of the core systems of the game? Is building incrementally better vehicles how we're supposed to get to higher and higher sky islands?

Have the systems from BotW been improved or changed? The inventory/equipment system in BotW was particularly cumbersome. Have they improved it? Armor scaled very poorly. Did they address that? Do we still even have armor? Having essentially infinite food and the ability to heal while paused trivialized the challenge of the game. Have they addressed that? Do you heal in real time? Is there still cooking?

I'm having trouble understanding how any of your post follows the first line, where you say they're actively choosing to show things that are giving people doubt.

You've given a list of things they haven't showed, not things they've showed which does instill doubt.

My position here is that they've earned the benefit of the doubt from the marketing of BotW, and Switch games in general, which tended to have a ton of "they haven't shown X so X isn't in the game" reactions proven wrong many times. Nothing they've shown changes that.

Controversial opinion: the marketing doesn't matter one bit if the game comes out and blows everyone away, and has an amazing WoM.

What many here don't realize is that BOTW was easy to market, in that all of the core concepts of that game could be shown off in a couple of seconds and you'd get it.

Big open world? Check. Climb on anything? Check. Physics? Check. Link can have different weapons and armor? Check.

The only thing we didn't know for a while prior to playing BOTW was some more specific things like the capacity of towns, dungeons, and bosses, but as was proven from critical acclaim the latter two didn't detract from an amazing core experience.

TOTK on the other hand is frankly very difficult to market without Nintendo revealing their hand prematurely. The premise of a world being reused and filled with interesting ideas and concepts that will blow people away means that revealing those same concepts spoils a major part of the fun.

It's clear if you dig into the trailers themselves that there is amazing gameplay potential for exploration and emergent gameplay on a level never before seen. Sky islands packed together in the heavens like constellations, hidden caverns that contain all of the mystery findings you'd love to come across in the original game, crafting and building bringing the survival element to a whole other level, etc.

Is the marketing bad? I'd say if we're going by the purpose of it (to excite old and new players alike), then yeah they've failed in a pretty big way. But I just don't see the alternative (ruining a lot of the wonder that was so great about the first game) however being worth it.

The game releases in just a couple months from now. Y'all will be happy to play it and to be able to experience all of that greatness for yourself. We're almost there!

I'm having trouble understanding how any of your post follows the first line, where you say they're actively choosing to show things that are giving people doubt.

You've given a list of things they haven't showed, not things they've showed which does instill doubt.

My position here is that they've earned the benefit of the doubt from the marketing of BotW, and Switch games in general, which tended to have a ton of "they haven't shown X so X isn't in the game" reactions proven wrong many times. Nothing they've shown changes that.

While I trust the Zelda team and Nintendo and preordered the collector's edition already (so they got my monies) my fear is that collectively the masses won't be to excited for this game if Nintendo doesn't show more. Like even if me or you don't need to see more footage to be sold on the game, it's easy to surf the internet and see that a large amount of people are not sold on the game and are disappointed. I'm seeing it across multiple forums I frequent, Twitter, YouTube, etc. I would argue that it seems like the majority of Zelda fans are not sold on this game and are in the position of being letdown so far.

It's very possible the actual game could be a straight up masterpiece but the marketing so far is shifting the dynamic to a point where people are losing interest and I'm worried that this could greatly impact sales. Even I'll admit that I'm not exactly hyped or blown away from the footage so far. It still looks more or less like more BOTW which isn't a bad thing per say but I still kind of expected and wanted more after six years and I still feel like that could absolutely happen but we are not seeing it yet.

I know you don't want Nintendo to spoil much of the game but this is one of those weird situations that if Nintendo stays too quiet then it could really hurt momentum and sales. The $70 pricetag is another factor that I think could hurt this game. Especially if people are left disappointed with the current footage.

I think Nintendo basically needs to market this game a hell of a lot more even if some people don't want anymore footage because I think if they don't the sales will be greatly impacted judging by the mass disappointment I'm seeing all over the place. Still the narrative could change between now and May as more footage is released. Whole situation is weird because the Switch is old, BOTW is old and TOTK really kind of looks more of the same. This game would have greatly benefited from a next gen version releasing. I still think this was a mistake on Nintendo's part but hey what do I know. I'm just a guy on the internet. :p

Marketing sort of sucks, honestly.

We have well over 15 minutes of trailers at this point, and none of them really sell me on the feeling of Tears of the Kingdom, nor the core identity.

You take a look at the first BotW trailer, and you immediately get the game, the vibes it's going for, an amazing sense of the story, how gameplay works, and new mechanics. All while being even more "secretive" than TotK.

Now, I am not worried about this game one bit. But the marketing has kind of sucked honestly, and I have felt that way about Nintendo games for 2 years now.
I agree to a certain point, but we do have to realize that in retrospect Botw trailers aren't how they were when we first saw them. We are not yet at the point where we have the final trailer from ToTK so we can't compare the feeling to 2017 presentation trailer.

Before that, there was a lot of "this game looks empty" "this game looks boring" "where are the puzzles" "omg there are no towns". Like, the same complaints were made for the game and it later on became one of the best games of all time.

Y'all gotta look for what the trailers present instead of looking for what's missing. It's okay to feel underwhelmed by the trailers but still, the game is 3 months away. They won't give you that final look and have nothing to show later on.

BUT, i do agree that the trailers have been cut in a certain way that is confusing. Like the recent one for example, it's starts as a story trailer, builds up and then cuts to a light hearted gameplay trailer. It felt less focused and should have continued on the story part since we already got those gameplay elements. The customization could have been revealed in a gameplay trailer instead.

Back
Top Bottom