• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Steam Team Fortress 2 has received it's first major non-halloween update in over 6 years. (14 new maps, VS Saxton Hale is now an official gamemode)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
News_item_2023-12-07_Summer_2023_Update.png

yes, really.

to be clear, this is entirely community made content turned official. but it's still shocking such a large patch released for the game after all these years.

the real standout here is the "new" game mode, VS Saxton Hale.
image.png

(the original fan-made update page for the mode.)

dating all the way back to 2010, a group of players have to team up to face this deliberately overpowered australian.
this was one of the most popular unofficial game modes. and arguably inspired countless other asymmetrical multiplayer games in it's wake, such as Dead by Daylight.
however it should be noted that this implementation of the mode looks to be relatively unchanged from it's original mod form. including custom voice acting that doesn't feature any of the original TF2 cast.
the fact they didn't re-record it (with the obvious and unfortunate exception of the Soldier) is rather disappointing, considering the VOs were heavily campaigning for the game to get revived in the first place.

notably, the end result of this sudden update is that TF2 has finally beaten it's previous record for concurrent players, reaching a peak of over 253k. when previously it topped out at 168k.
F06BKbOXoAEXgIK.jpg:orig

Oh my god

Vs Saxton was how I spent my last 200 hours on TF2. I can't go back, I don't have that time anymore

Valve has natively ported the game to 64-bit architecture New
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Added 64-bit support for Windows/Linux client and server
  • Fixed an exploit related to uploading invalid custom decals that would crash other clients
this was quietly being tested shortly after the big update launched, but is now officially implemented.

the main advantage here is that it improves performance across all types of hardware, complete with the maximum frame-rate cap getting a boost from 300 to 400.

Back
Top Bottom