• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Take Two Interactive planning for record profits in FY25, potentially linked to Grand Theft Auto 6

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him

Seems like GTA 6 will be releasing next year, given that Rockstar tends to release games in the latter half of the year.

While GTAVI will be big, I have to wonder if they have any other projects that might make it even better.

I know the Civilization community is expecting/hoping the seventh main game in the series will be out next year.

Possible also Civ 7 will launch next year

I would be surprised if that doesn't come to console as well. Though possible it doesn't make it out in FY 2025. During a live stream last year for the leader pass bonus dlc that is still not yet on consoles, Civilization 6 lead designer Ed Beach, when responding to a console release of the Content specifically name dropped Switch as the platform the game sold exceptionally well on

Good be funny if next year GOTY battle is going to be between GTAVI and next 3D Mario.
It was Red Dead Redemption vs Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010 and RDR won most of the awards. It'll probably repeat the same.

Hey, just noticed, RDR will be on Switch in a week yet so sight of Mario galaxy 2 HD. Well it's Nintendo's good old "Save it for future droughts" mentality (it works).

It's going to take an awful big moneyhat to keep GTA6 off Switch 2.

That's a lot of money on the table. Nintendo could easily be a sizeable revenue stream for them.

I think this could be the one.

Last edited:

That's a lot of money on the table. Nintendo could easily be a big a sizable revenue stream for them.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

So far the series has been mostly off Nintendo platforms and it managed just fine.

I feel Nintendo would have more to lose not having GTA6 on Switch 2 than Take Two would.

That's a lot of money on the table. Nintendo could easily be a big a sizable revenue stream for them.

GTAV is nearing 200m sales without a Nintendo version in sight.

Like, it would do really well on Switch, but come on lol.

GTAV is nearing 200m sales without a Nintendo version in sight.

Like, it would do really well on Switch, but come on lol.
That's like saying thing sold 200 million but they should not shoot for more and expand into an even larger potential sales pool.

These companies are always looking for growth and the successor to one of the best selling platforms of all time could provide them that.

Now am I saying it will happen for sure? Absolutely not especially given Rockstars track record, but unless there is some fantastical multiple generation moneyhat prohibiting it (after seeing snippets of the Activision trial I wouldn't write anything off), Switch 2 may finally get a new game in the GTA franchise.

Last edited:
Rockstar are big, but they're not big enough to run multiple projects at the same time, so they have to be choosey when it comes to what games they release. It's why the recent RDR port is just that, a port, when the internet was getting in a tizzy expecting a remaster. That's why GTA5 hasn't come to Switch yet in all likelihood; it would be taking resources away from GTA6 which is number 1 priority.

I can't say I'm exactly expecting GTA6 on Switch 2 personally, but wouldn't surprised if 5 and Red Dead 2 come to the next console at least. I'd like Civ 7 as well if that's coming. Boy the hours I sunk into Civ 6 on my Switch while stuck on hotel rooms on business.

Putting the energy out there that GTA6 and Switch 2 get revealed on the same day just like RDR2 and Switch did.

Just as an aside that this comment inspired, it's insane that Dev times for games have spiralled in length to the point that Rockstar have only released a single game throughout the entire lifespan of the Switch.

That's like saying thing sold 200 million but they should not shoot for more and expand into an even larger potential sales pool.

These companies are always looking for growth and the successor to one of the best selling platforms of all time could provide them that.

Now am I saying it will happen for sure? Absolutely not especially given Rockstars track record, but unless there is some fantastical multiple generation moneyhat prohibiting it (after seeing snippets of the Activision trial I wouldn't write anything off), Switch 2 may finally get a new game in the GTA franchise.
In the most likely scenario GTA6 is simply just built with PS5/Series as target hardware, with a PC release planned later down the line.
They already did the same for GTA4, 5 and RDR2, they don't have much reason to change what works.
If Switch 2 was close enough, in terms of hardware specs, to guarantee an easy port I think they would do it, but from what we know it should be more in line with the PS4.

The situation would be different if GTA6 was built as a crossgen title to begin with, but I think that is a very unlikely scenario as well.
GTA5 got multiple re-releases and countinued being a top selling title for 10 years. When they're developing this game they'll likely taking into account on which platforms people will be playing on in 5 years from now. I don't think they're going to make compromises for cross-gen compatibility.
Let alone the day this game gets released exclusively for next-gen system, it will automatically spell the end of legacy platforms.

Last edited:
The most likely scenario is that GTA6 is simply just built with PS5/Series as target hardware, with a PC release planned later down the line.
They already did the same for GTA4,5 and RDR2, they don't have much reason to change what works.
If Switch 2 was close enough in hardware specs to guarantee an easy port I think they would do it, but from what we know it should more in line with the PS4.

The situation would be different if GTA6 was built as a crossgen title to begin with, but I think that is too a very unlikely scenario.
GTA5 got multiple re-releases and countien being a top selling title for 10 years. When they're developing this game they'll likely taking into account on which platforms people will be playing on in 5 years from now, I don't think they're not going to make compromises for cross-gen compatibility.
Let alone the day this game gets released exclusively for next-gen system, it will automatically spell the end of legacy platforms.
Don't forget that PS4 horsepower with todays tech and upscaling technology will probably make the Switch 2 a porting beast. The hardware is likely being designed specifically for this task. It is also possible that a day and date release is not in the cards and it will release somewhat later in the Switch successor's life cycle.

Of course, until we see GTAV and RDR2 on a Nintendo console, expectations should be dialed in... but for me personally, I just can't help but think that the current brass at Take Two and Rockstar have big plans for the franchise that very well may include the Switch 2.

It was Red Dead Redemption vs Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010 and RDR won most of the awards. It'll probably repeat the same.
Hard to say. If you told everyone that RDR2 would lose to a God of War game back in the early-mid 2010s, no one would’ve believed you.

If the next Mario really pushes the boundaries of what a 3D Mario can be, it’s got a shot.

Back
Top Bottom