• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Switch version of Marvel's Midnight Suns has been canceled

This might say more about the sales performance of this game than the Switch itself. Shame though, one of my games of last year, definitely don't sleep on it if you're into your tactics based games, or are even remotely of the Marvel fan persuasion.

Guess I will pick it up on Xbox eventually. Shouldn't take much longer for it to hit ~20€ on sale.

Dang, I wanted to play this. I guess I'll play it... never.

I wonder if things are going well at Virtuos. This was supposed to be their next game and they have nothing else planned. Switch/Switch 2 losing Virtuos as a port studio would be a major blow.

I wonder if things are going well at Virtuos. This was supposed to be their next game and they have nothing else planned. Switch/Switch 2 losing Virtuos as a port studio would be a major blow.
i don't think this has anything to do with the dev or the switch itself. the game just wasn't very successful on its original platforms so there's little incentive to continue working on a switch port.

Lame. Guess I could get it on Steam Deck.
This is a time consuming game (40-50 hours) and it's impossible to play on Deck for me unless it's plugged at all times. Deck's battery life only last 45 minutes - 1 hour for current gen games. They need to focus on battery for the next version of Deck but I doubt they will.

This game was very taxing elsewhere so yeah not surprised Switch version got canceled. The console would melt if this was crammed onto the thing, or have tons of performance issues. I’m surprised PS4/XBO are still happening

Fuck, noooooooooooo.

Literally my most looked forward to game this year. More than TotK.

Ah well, there's always Switch Deux. Right?

This may be the first time I actually feel a sense of urgency around getting a successor.

This is a time consuming game (40-50 hours) and it's impossible to play on Deck for me unless it's plugged at all times. Deck's battery life only last 45 minutes - 1 hour for current gen games. They need to focus on battery for the next version of Deck but I doubt they will.
“That’s easy, just drop the settings until it looks worse than a hypothetical Switch version, then the battery life will be fine”

i don't think this has anything to do with the dev or the switch itself. the game just wasn't very successful on its original platforms so there's little incentive to continue working on a switch port.
But it's already getting a down port versions for PS4 and Xbox One. Switch version would have sold much better than those, possibly even double of that. I think there's some other reason for this. Either they moved the game to the successor or, as I said, Virtuos is no longer doing Switch ports. Vituos has released multiple Switch ports a year but right now they have nothing. Nier Automata was their latest job and it seems they are done with Switch.

That july game could be our only and final upcoming "miracle port", I think.

Shame. The Xcom 2 port was good. Was hoping for the same, albeit with a proper physical not that nonsense download required.

I never saw sub 1 hour (usually 2+) even when playing at 40hz with some settings at high.

yeah, i'm not surprised. Game runs like shit on PS5, with sub 20FPS during certain attacks
But it's already getting a down port versions for PS4 and Xbox One. Switch version would have sold much better than those, possibly even double of that. I think there's some other reason for this. Either they moved the game to the successor or, as I said, Virtuos is no longer doing Switch ports. Vituos has released multiple Switch ports a year but right now they have nothing. Nier Automata was their latest job and it seems they are done with Switch.

That july game could be our only and final upcoming "miracle port", I think.
have you considered the most likely that possibility this port simply wasn't possible

Shame. The Xcom 2 port was good. Was hoping for the same, albeit with a proper physical not that nonsense download required.

I never saw sub 1 hour (usually 2+) even when playing at 40hz with some settings at high.
Some demanding games hover around 1 hour for me, with default settings. Lowest point it died was 45, playing The Last of Us remastered (and the Deck got pretty hot despite the fan). Right now I'm playing Tales of Arise, a full battery goes for 75-80 minutes.

PS4 level games are between 2-3 hours, yes.
yeah, i'm not surprised. Game runs like shit on PS5, with sub 20FPS during certain attacks

have you considered the most likely that possibility this port simply wasn't possible
I doubt Virtuos would take on the job if it really was impossible. They are the masters of the craft.

Obviously has nothing to do with a Switch 2, blah blah. But it is interesting to imagine conversations behind the scenes when port decisions are communicated so bizarrely.

What was the order? First they didn't announce a Switch port, then announced a Switch port, then delayed the Switch port along with the other previous gen ports, then cancelled it, even though the eshop still lists it.

Did they ever think a port was technically possible? Did they think they were gonna port it to some kind of more advanced Switch? Were they just in denial? What's the back and forth like between the devs and Nintendo?

Basically, if a port was never possible, why didn't they figure that out sooner?

I've been enjoying Kyle Bosman's playthrough of it, after checking out the demo, not liking the gameplay too much but kinda digging the writing.

The Book Club arc alone has been worth it.
I've seen the name, but never watched him. I'll give a try later, thanks

I dont think this has anything to do with virtuous. They released a few months ago Nier and the port was universally acclaimed. I think this is more related to the poor sales of the game, it bombed and 2K was disappointed, they stated that some time ago.

I did say before that this kind of behaviour is going to become more and more common this year…

Switch is coming to an end, and 3rd party support is starting to die. This is just another example of what we’re going to be seeing throughout 2023-2024; and the only real fix is an announcement and release of Switch 2.

I did say before that this kind of behaviour is going to become more and more common this year…

Switch is coming to an end, and 3rd party support is starting to die. This is just another example of what we’re going to be seeing throughout 2023-2024; and the only real fix is an announcement and release of Switch 2.
Only thing that's gonna die is the "miracle ports", as no one will bother with that. Smaller stuff continue to pour in, especially from Namco, Sega, KoTec, Square-Enix and NISA. They should cover the time period between now and Switch 2 launch nicely. Namco still has tons of stuff left to remaster and they did tease multiple Digimon projects.

Yeah not surprised. Pretty sure I said as much previously.

When the game bombed on the main platforms, expectations for the Switch version probably tanked to. ROI probably wouldnt be worth it.

It definitely would have worked on Switch though so it's bit of a shame.

Was Aspyr handling the console prt? Maybe they can be freed up to bring the civ6 leader pass to consoles

A game bombed on other platforms so the cancelled further budget for this game. Has nothing to do with "Switch coming to an end".

Would be hilarious anyway because Switch userbase is extraordinarily big and people buy games on Switch in big numbers.

However, the Xbox One and PS4 releases aren't canceled. Due to the lack of games featuring major Marvel properties on the Switch one could make an alternative argument the ROI would be worth it. The Switch missed on Capcom vs Marvel and the Avengers game. Also, I don't understand why would any developer/publisher make such a high end TRGB where it couldn't be down ported to the Switch. Where was the planning?

Virtuos does support/asset contracting on like every other AAAA game, like most Keywords studios. Full production ports are actually a side business for them (that really kicked up more with demand on Switch), they're gonna be fine.

Back
Top Bottom