• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Switch ships 107.65 million units (as of March 31st 2022)

Nintendo has its own gangbusters, really.

The highest selling CoD game has sold about 30 million. I believe FIFA is around a similar figure with around 30 million. Which is a lot. The only game to really dominate Nintendo's numbers, is GTAV with its 160 million copies sold. Let's compare that though, with some of Nintendo's notable franchises

Mariokart 8: 45 million
Animal Crossing: 38 million
Smash Ultimate: 28 million
Breath of the wild 25 million
Mario Odyssey: 23 million

Nintendo more or less, has been putting a ton of titles with the same amount of reach as CoD. It supplements them with smaller releases as well to keep interest high. Nintendo has had a CoD level release for every year except 2019 and 2021. And these games are surrounded by very popular 5-15 million selling titles, and very high quality, more niche games as well.
Being curious, I checked the Wikipedia page on best-selling video games. According to that top 50 table, just over half are Nintendo published games.

Breakthrough for next FY quarter is likely 3-4-10-4.

When Switch turnes 6 years old it will have a installbase of +125 millions, and that without some of the biggest third party blockbusters like COD, GTA or full featured FIFA.
It has three GTA games 🧐🧐

Being curious, I checked the Wikipedia page on best-selling video games. According to that top 50 table, just over half are Nintendo published games.

Not even just that, but 6 of the top selling video games are either Switch exclusive, or were Wii U ports. And over 20 out of best selling are playable via switch either by third party porting, or emulation.

It's so funny to read these numbers (so close to PS4 lifetime sales), and go back to those old articles and videos from people who were so ready to call it a flop.

But really in the end i'm just happy we're past those days when the industry believed mobile killed handheld consoles, cause i love portable systems and Switch is by far the Nintendo console i enjoyed the most.

- The games arent there and they arent gonna be there.

lol

I just want to say congratulations to Nintendo for selling so many Switch units. I am really hoping that they can sell over 120 million units by December 31, 2022.

Breakthrough for next FY quarter is likely 3-4-10-4.

When Switch turnes 6 years old it will have a installbase of +125 millions, and that without some of the biggest third party blockbusters like COD, GTA or full featured FIFA.
Sega seeing Nintendo succeed without help from EA

dab.jpg

The highest selling CoD game has sold about 30 million. I believe FIFA is around a similar figure with around 30 million. Which is a lot. The only game to really dominate Nintendo's numbers, is GTAV with its 160 million copies sold. Let's compare that though, with some of Nintendo's notable franchises

Nintendo more or less, has been putting a ton of titles with the same amount of reach as CoD. It supplements them with smaller releases as well to keep interest high. Nintendo has had a CoD level release for every year except 2019 and 2021. And these games are surrounded by very popular 5-15 million selling titles, and very high quality, more niche games as well.
2019 had SWSH at 24m and counting

It amazes me that not only is the Switch selling astronomically well, it just keeps on building momentum. The Wii at this point in its lifespan was pretty much completely out of steam, whereas the Switch sales are only getting stronger and stronger.

Pokemon Sword and Shield released in 2019 and went on to sell 24 million copies thus far.

Interestingly, to me at least, there's only been one evergreen new IP from Nintendo launched this generation, in RingFit, in stark contrast to the Wii and DS era. Perhaps that's because Nintendo has dedicated more of its resources to overhauling existing IP this time around.

Interestingly, to me at least, there's only been one evergreen new IP from Nintendo launched this generation, in RingFit, in stark contrast to the Wii and DS era. Perhaps that's because Nintendo has dedicated more of its resources to overhauling existing IP this time around.
I would say more that the ideas for some of the new ips just didn’t catch on to be evergreens: Labo, 1-2 Switch, Arms.

As you're suggesting, we could also argue they more successfully turned their long standing IP into major evergreens, with Zelda, 3D Mario, Animal Crossing and Smash joining Mario Kart and Pokemon as 20 million plus titles.

Like, i do wish the switch had better online and the other things that person listed but man those resetera analysts clearly had no idea of what motivates the casual buyer to get a console lmao.

Could you link to the discussion you are referencing here? Thanks

Edit: Ah, you mean the pre-release prediction thread about the Switch's chances of success. Don't worry then.

It's so funny to read these numbers (so close to PS4 lifetime sales), and go back to those old articles and videos from people who were so ready to call it a flop.

But really in the end i'm just happy we're past those days when the industry believed mobile killed handheld consoles, cause i love portable systems and Switch is by far the Nintendo console i enjoyed the most.

Colin is horrible.

But it was a very common take honesty. Even some big Nintendo fans had the same train of thoughts and you could find a lot of videos like this as well. The funny thing is some act like they knew it’ll succeed lol, it’s cool to admit your wrong, nothing to lose honestly cause no one cares really.

2017 was an interesting year yo say the least

Colin is horrible.

But it was a very common take honesty. Even some big Nintendo fans had the same train of thoughts and you could find a lot of videos like this as well. The funny thing is some act like they knew it’ll succeed lol, it’s cool to admit your wrong, nothing to lose honestly cause no one cares really.

I know I was terrified it was going to flop because of the price. I remember saying something like “Nintendo hasn’t learned a damn thing.” Keep in mind I said that with every intention of getting it day 1 as well.

I'd say next year we get something like a switch lite OLED or maybe switch pro, then switch 2 in 2025. No need to rush out the next system looking at these numbers lol

Just personally, it's nice to see such a confident forecast; one of my worries was that Nintendo would cut the Switch's lifecycle short prematurely, and it doesn't sound like that's happening with 21 million predicted for the current FY.

Last edited:

What has Colin ever been right about lmaoooo

Ok,

So the switch is oon track to beat what?

DS?
PS2?

guesses or estimates?
Kind of depends on what Nintendo do.
Next year the switch should be at 128 million sold so there would still be over 20 million to get to the DS and PS2.
If they release a switch 2 that doesn’t count in original switch sales numbers then it’ll be tough to get to those systems for the switch.
But if they do anything else there’s a good chance the switch will surpass them

PS2 sold 157.7 million lifetime, I don't see how Switch can beat that. It would need to continue selling beyond 2024. Same for beating the DS.

Only way it could happen is if Nintendo continue selling some version of the Switch at a reduced price after the successor launches.

And neither of those seem likely to me. Silicon shortages won't allow them to manufacture two systems, and they'll prefer to market the newer one to consumers.

PS2 sold 157.7 million lifetime, I don't see how Switch can beat that. It would need to continue selling beyond 2024. Same for beating the DS.

Only way it could happen is if Nintendo continue selling some version of the Switch at a reduced price after the successor launches.

And neither of those seem likely to me. Silicon shortages won't allow them to manufacture two systems, and they'll prefer to market the newer one to consumers.
Or, the "successor" doesn't launch until 2027+.

Colin is horrible.

It's so fascinating to look back on launch lineup complaints now because 2017 is regarded as one of the most robust software lineups. It was a steady stream of content that entire year before the Switch was even widely in people's hands! All you had to do was wait every few weeks and there was another banger Switch release that year.

I'm not thinking Switch Pro, I'm thinking smartphone style iterative upgrade. Or rather, GBC style iterative upgrade. Probably some time between October 2022 and March 2023 going by current rumors.
Sounds like a Pro, to me. I'd buy one if it happens. What do the rumors say would be upgraded?

Switch will be the best selling console ever by Holidays 2024 and that is if they release nothing else, no oled lite, no Switch+, just games as they do now. If they do release a revision, it will happen much earlier.

I don’t think a true successor is coming all that soon in the sense they are supporting both the Mario Kart 8 Booster Pass and Splatoon 3 both through 2023 and other games like Xenoblade 3 and the new rumored Fire Emblem will also likely have season passes. The next thing (I think it’s a gen 2 Switch as well) might be new with the big rumored graphics jump and have exclusive games, but it might still be considered a Switch for total sales purposes. Regardless I think normal Switch is fully supported through 2023. It’s very possible totals reach in the 150 million range by the end of 2023 depending how various factors all shake out.

Switch may be a 200m+ console if Nintendo counts Drake sales as Switch ones. If that doesnt happen I think it will be around 145-155 , outselling ps2/ds will depend on Nintendo producing new Switches or not once Drake releases

Sounds like a Pro, to me. I'd buy one if it happens. What do the rumors say would be upgraded?
So rumors specifically say it'll be 4k capable via DLSS, we haven't heard much else specifically. The recent Nvidia hack tells us that a Nintendo chip code named "Drake" has 12SMs (streaming multiprocessors) in the GPU, whereas the TX1 inside the Switch has 2SMs. We don't definitively know if the "Drake" chip is the same one that the rumors are discussing but it does line up. So if they're the one in the same then it's looking like a beefy upgrade.

So rumors specifically say it'll be 4k capable via DLSS, we haven't heard much else specifically. The recent Nvidia hack tells us that a Nintendo chip code named "Drake" has 12SMs (streaming multiprocessors) in the GPU, whereas the TX1 inside the Switch has 2SMs. We don't definitively know if the "Drake" chip is the same one that the rumors are discussing but it does line up. So if they're the one in the same then it's looking like a beefy upgrade.
Interesting. So when you say GBC-like you mean some exclusive software in addition to full backwards compatibility.

Interesting. So when you say GBC-like you mean some exclusive software in addition to full backwards compatibility.
Sorta, also that's just my expectation/speculation, I don't think that's been rumored. I'm more thinking it'll just blur the line between a revision and a successor like the GBC did. I think most first party games will go to both for the next few years but it'll get a lot of third party exclusives.

Colin is horrible.

I was among those who thought it was going to succeed because the initial reactions after the first trailer reveal were very positive, if you nail the main gimmick, half of the work is done. (the other half are the games). Most of the negative feedbacks were before the initial trailer reveal, during those months of leaks and rumors, and after the presentation.

There were definitely red flags after launch that could have impacted sales but thankfully Nintendo was always able to deal with them:

- Capcom and few other third parties initial support was kind of a joke (i remember the Ultra Street Fighter 2, the laughs at RE Engine on Switch and all the "if this random port doesn't sell well we're done")

- After a fantastic 2017, 2018 was bad in my opinion, and for a moment i thought maybe we were going to relive the Wii U droughts, thankfully that didn't happen it was just a transitional period.

I'd only agree with Colin that the whole plan for services, online and voice chat is very dumb to the point that it takes some courage to release the phone app in the empty rough state that it was (and arguargbly still is). But again those are more bonus features, most people don't buy a console only for the online service. (otherwise Xbox would have been the market leader by now)

A few notable hardware things:

The "Other" territory is usually far behind the others in both hardware and software, but the OLED model seems particularly strong there, even slightly ahead of Europe.

The Lite keeps slipping. Its first year it made up about a third of total units. Then it went to more like a quarter. Then the OLED showed up and didn't just eat sales of the original hybrid, but has pushed Lite to under 13% for the last half year.

btw, regarding final Switch LTD and Nintendo word about a more smooth transition, I have a feeling they are aiming to shipped around 30 more million Switches after this FY. The idea is to always distribute more than 20 millions hardware devices between different Switch family models (Lite, Oled and next HW). So lets say they are planning to release their next HW second half of FY2023-24…

FY2022/23 (Current): 21 millions Switch (LTD: +128 millions)
FY2023/24: 15 millions Switch (LTD: +143 millions) + 8 millions Switch 2 (total: +23 millions)
FY2024/25: 7.5 million Switch (LTD: +150.5 millions) + 17.5 millions Switch 2 (total: 25 millions)
FY2025/26: 5 million Swtich (LTD: +155.5 millions) + 20 millions Switch 2 (total: 25 millions)
FY2026/27: 2.5 millions Switch (LTD: +158 millions) + 22.5 millions Switch 2 (total: 25 millions).

Then they can squeeze a bit to get a final LTD of 160 millions.

Considering where it sits now and their forecasts, Switch looks set to overtake the PS4 and Gameboy in sales by the end of this calendar year.

Imagine telling someone back in 2016 that it would sell like this, you'd be called a raving delusional fanboy lmao

The main reason I don't think the Switch will catch the DS or the PS2 is bc I think we're in for a GBA situation where the successor is going to be both fully backwards compatible and a clear power upgrade. This basically happened to the 3DS when the Switch launched, and it wasn't even capable of playing the same games. If that happens, OG Switch sales will fall off a cliff.

The main reason I don't think the Switch will catch the DS or the PS2 is bc I think we're in for a GBA situation where the successor is going to be both fully backwards compatible and a clear power upgrade. This basically happened to the 3DS when the Switch launched, and it wasn't even capable of playing the same games. If that happens, OG Switch sales will fall off a cliff.
I feel like there is a world of difference as to why the 3DS stopped selling when Switch launched compared to Switch to Switch 2 launch.

The sales wouldn’t fall of a cliff so much as crater. So I’m not exactly sure how that would be the case as we are currently seeing with this cross-gen period.

I feel like there is a world of difference as to why the 3DS stopped selling when Switch launched compared to Switch to Switch 2 launch.

The sales wouldn’t fall of a cliff so much as crater. So I’m not exactly sure how that would be the case as we are currently seeing with this cross-gen period.
I mean, I feel like this is distinction of semantics (crater vs fall off a cliff). The point is that I believe the Switch successor is going to prevent the OG Switch from having the long tail of the PS2 and DS. When you add in the challenges of chip shortages that have already forced Nintendo to reduce targets, I don't see the Switch reaching its maximum potential.

I mean, I feel like this is distinction of semantics (crater vs fall off a cliff). The point is that I believe the Switch successor is going to prevent the OG Switch from having the long tail of the PS2 and DS. When you add in the challenges of chip shortages that have already forced Nintendo to reduce targets, I don't see the Switch reaching its maximum potential.
DS sold only 3m in the financial years after 3DS release.

There is a wide distinction between falling off a cliff and cratering that isn’t semantics. That’s like saying underperforming vs bombing is semantics.
If the successor is going to face the same issues as the current gen consoles in addition to being cross-gen then I’m still not sure how it will impact Switch sales to such a degree. This would also imply Nintendo has immediately stopped manufacturing Switch & Drake would have to be over 70% of the their fiscal hardware totals.

Do we already have the Q&A section of the investor meeting with the president and the rest of the board of directors available? I am unable to find it this time, not even on twitter where it is usual to find questions and answers in threads created by David Gibson (if I remember correctly).

Back
Top Bottom