• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Switch ships 107.65 million units (as of March 31st 2022)

Switch is doing incredible. Wonder how high it would be if Covid weren’t impacting production. We have two open world Pokemon games still to come this year, it’s going to keep selling out.

good stuff

edit: @curl-6 it'd probably be good to have the last quarter sales in the title as well.

Last edited:
Covid impacted demand as well though, not just production.
Certainly true with the Animal Crossing explosion.

I’m mainly hoping things continue to improve going forward (though we have a lot of new variants popping up…). For people’s sake, not for video game’s sake to be clear.

nintendo yearly net profit (credits to PhillFencer on installbase)

consolidated_statemenoukrl.png

For old times sake:
So, let's see....

-Performance clearly superior to a Raspberry Pi 3, probably.
-Built-in storage enough for installing as many as 1-2 games
-Voice comm requiring the use of an app on your cell phone
-Paid subscription online service feature list competitive with Heat.net
-Peripheral pricing so high and bizarrely lopsided with the initial hardware bundle that it makes buying a second Switch for parts a sensible option

...that's pretty dire, but it's still a much more compelling product than the Wii U at first reveal, simply by virtue of being a handheld. Might be somewhat more successful than the Wii U since it's not trying to leverage a poorly thought out archaic tablet as a unique selling point this time, but the cost of ownership is looking astronomically high. It's arguably higher than the major console competition, given the peripheral pricing, anemic built-in storage, low value paid online, etc., so it's abandoning a lot of the appeal that would otherwise come with being a handheld.

Handheld form factor and performance, but with $60 game pricing, paid online, tiny storage, and obscene peripheral costs. Worst of both worlds, arguably, and the mediocre mobile SoC isn't going to do it any favors when people hook it up to their living room setups. I seriously doubt I'll want to stretch out Switch games onto my 75" 4K HDR TV.

Not exactly situated to take the market by storm with all that and a very thin launch lineup. Not something that's easy to root for as a consumer, either, since Nintendo loaded up on anti-consumer business decisions here. It's telling that first shipment pre-orders are still available.

🤭

Nintendo predicts 21 million hardware sales for this year.. Is Switch Lite (OLED) on the way?
Honestly i do think theyll do a lite revision aswell. It's been years now and it makes sense to add a new upgraded quality lite sku.

Like, i do wish the switch had better online and the other things that person listed but man those resetera analysts clearly had no idea of what motivates the casual buyer to get a console lmao.

They still don't and they propably will never understand that the casual market is vastly different from the hardcore gamer.

They still don't and they propably will never understand that the casual market is vastly different from the hardcore gamer.
One particularly stood out in that quote was the 75" TV. Not exactly in the middle of the bell curve there.

(Is that an actual quote or a pastiche of the sorts of things being said?)

The forecast of operating income being slightly lower/flat over last year + the nikkei leaked forecast being confirmed at 21M HW are both further indicating that Nintendo is not going to release another major hardware this fiscal year, killing hopes of Pro/Switch 2 this FY.

See you in late 2023 (at the earliest)

One particularly stood out in that quote was the 75" TV. Not exactly in the middle of the bell curve there.

I'm old so memory is fuzzy but i believe this is a direct quote. There we're alot of these on Era after the reveal. Especially people who bought ONE particular youtubers videos where he was absolutely sure AMD was making the Chip for the NX and NX would be a powerful console again.

It's a forum post on NeoGAF, by the GAF owner himself (January 2017).

This but also their view of what a hardcore gamer is and a hardcore gamer wants is incredibly narrow.

This is nuts. Also, kind of surprising Nintendo was already back in the black by 2015 when the Switch was still 2 years out.
Nintendo knows how to pivot! amiibo started coming out at the end of 2014. Plus I imagine 3DS might've started to make them more of a return.

What's crazy to me is the base Switch has still never had a price cut (aside from the small price revision in some territories to account for fluctuating exchange rates).

Incredible numbers. My prediction of 85-95m at reveal looks worse by the day - and that was higher than most.

I wouldn't expect price cuts, either. I think they'll run with this price right to the Switch 2 in order to keep profit margins high and perceived value up. Price is clearly not a limiting factor here - parts are, and "saturation" may start to be. But people are obviously more than happy with the price.

I do wonder how well Switch 2 will sell, though. Gonna be impossible to recapture this sense of "newness" with a similar design, surely, and it won't have the backup of insane quality Wii U ports to fill schedule holes. Unlikely to launch with a generational killer app like BotW, either. Seems to me like Nintendo's "update" consoles which take the same idea and make them more powerful (NES->SNES; N64->GC; Wii->Wii U; DS->3DS) never seem to do as well as the visionary breakthrough device.

But, fortunately for me, I always prefer the second, less popular device. Can't wait for Switch 2.

I‘ll say it now before it is to late: if the next Nintendo Hardware really is a New 3DS like upgrade and the original switch / oled model gets a price drop, I see them reaching 200 million when all is said and done.

Funny reading some outlets describing the next year's guidance as "conservative". I wonder how many journalists realise no system has hit that kind of shipment level in the 6th year.

Funny reading some outlets describing the next year's guidance as "conservative". I wonder how many journalists realise no system has hit that kind of shipment level in the 6th year.

There's nothing conservative in this tbh. I personally think they'll fall a bit short of hitting this because 21m is absolutely a huge target.

Very nice! Hopefully for their next Switch they follow suit with what works and bow that they have had time with a successful system the next one will have some better OS improvements and cool features, as they nailed it with 3DS and Wii U. But I also understand with Wii U collapsing, they wanted Switch out lean and as soon as they possibly could.

But really, I’m only here for the Twitter comments that will follow this story as people will make excuses and mental gymnastics on why it either sold this well or why it doesn’t count or why it is still dying. Those always make me laugh.

Nintendo made another successful console. That’s cool.

What's crazy to me is the base Switch has still never had a price cut (aside from the small price revision in some territories to account for fluctuating exchange rates).
I would say don’t expect any price cuts on any of the models soon or at all. Nintendo moved away from that during with the 3DS. And, margins on the other models are still a little slim.

It's so funny to read these numbers (so close to PS4 lifetime sales), and go back to those old articles and videos from people who were so ready to call it a flop.

But really in the end i'm just happy we're past those days when the industry believed mobile killed handheld consoles, cause i love portable systems and Switch is by far the Nintendo console i enjoyed the most.

It's so funny to read these numbers (so close to PS4 lifetime sales), and go back to those old articles and videos from people who were so ready to call it a flop.

But really in the end i'm just happy we're past those days when the industry believed mobile killed handheld consoles, cause i love portable systems and Switch is by far the Nintendo console i enjoyed the most.

Ew, fuck Colin Moriarty. He's a massive piece of shit.

It is pretty amusing to see him so smug and self-masterbatory over being "right," when he was extremely, horrendously wrong, though.

This is nuts. Also, kind of surprising Nintendo was already back in the black by 2015 when the Switch was still 2 years out.
Mostly due to the 3DS recovering as that was one of the major reasons they were in the red during those 3yrs. 3DS price cut (major reason) & WiiU being a loss leader (minor reason)

Ew, fuck Colin Moriarty. He's a massive piece of shit.

It is pretty amusing to see him so smug and self-masterbatory over being "right," when he was extremely, horrendously wrong, though.

I've always found him too arrogant.

Some of his criticisms he even mentioned in the video aren't all that important, like having a slim launch lineup is something Nintendo has often done in the past when they know they have one massive hit (like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario 64)

While others were never as big of a deal as he pretended them to be, like achievements. They are appreciated by millions of gamers sure, but never been a system seller, or not having Activision's support which Nintendo has rarely ever had (only with Wii), these were never the third parties Nintendo relied on. Also he completely ignored the indie space which was growing and it has been a massive success for Switch.

But i don't think it's entirely him living on another planet, during those months there definitely was a part of the community, mostly journalists, few angry devs (for Wii U) and some youtuber who just thought Nintendo was done in the console business, and were ready to expect a SEGA move, hoping to see their franchises on Playstation and Xbox platforms.

Remember Sony did say the reason why Vita failed was the rise of mobile, which i always knew it was complete bullshit and i wasn't alone (cause Vita was a great piece of hardware but rigged by many hardware and software mistakes) but some people believed them in the moment.

Last edited:
PS4 is probably gonna get overtaken in the Fall. Crazy at how hot the software and hardware are now given the age of the Switch.

Remember Sony did say the reason why Vita failed was the rise of mobile, which i always knew it was complete bullshit (cause Vita was a great piece of hardware but rigged by many hardware and software mistakes) but some people believed them in the moment.
Sony wanted to kill Vita as early as 2014 when they realized Vita wasn't going to do ever good outside of Japan and that PS4 while it had a horrible launch in Japan everywhere else was doing amazing. They pressured 3rd parties to drop Vita/PS3 support and focus on the PS4 with the reasoning of being that the only way to succeed in the West, they wanted to avoid developers supporting Vita and not PS4 which could limit JP support of PS4 WW. Sony killed Vita not mobiles.

Last edited:
Sony wanted to kill Vita as early as 2014 when they realized Vita wasn't going to do ever good outside of Japan and that PS4 while had a horrible launch in Japan everywhere else was doing amazing. They pressured 3rd parties to drop Vita/PS3 support and focus on the PS4 with the reasoning of being that the only way to succeed in the West, they wanted to avoid developers supporting Vita and not PS4 which could limit JP support of PS4 WW. Sony killed Vita not mobiles.
To add onto this Sony’s increasing western management were not particularly fond of the device in general.

When you realize that "Colin" is Colin Moriarty and "Colin was right" becomes an entirely different meaning.

Well, Colin was Wrong.

Colin just might be the perfect distillation of popular message board videogame discourse, which means that he is frequently wrong on a spectacular scale. He tells a narrow audience within gaming exactly what they want to hear though, which is why he'll always be popular in some circles.

Well I could only make it about 3 minutes in to his smug and cringey delivery, but what a laugh that was.

Breakthrough for next FY quarter is likely 3-4-10-4.

When Switch turnes 6 years old it will have a installbase of +125 millions, and that without some of the biggest third party blockbusters like COD, GTA or full featured FIFA.

Breakthrough for next FY quarter is likely 3-4-10-4.

When Switch turnes 6 years old it will have a installbase of +125 millions, and that without some of the biggest third party blockbusters like COD, GTA or full featured FIFA.
Nintendo has its own gangbusters, really.

The highest selling CoD game has sold about 30 million. I believe FIFA is around a similar figure with around 30 million. Which is a lot. The only game to really dominate Nintendo's numbers, is GTAV with its 160 million copies sold. Let's compare that though, with some of Nintendo's notable franchises

Mariokart 8: 45 million
Animal Crossing: 38 million
Smash Ultimate: 28 million
Breath of the wild 25 million
Mario Odyssey: 23 million

Nintendo more or less, has been putting a ton of titles with the same amount of reach as CoD. It supplements them with smaller releases as well to keep interest high. Nintendo has had a CoD level release for every year except 2019 and 2021. And these games are surrounded by very popular 5-15 million selling titles, and very high quality, more niche games as well.

Back
Top Bottom