• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Super Mario Run’s Design Philosophy

Symtendo

Supachipz
I bought Super Mario Run, day one, on the App Store fully wanting to support Nintendo in arguably one of their toughest periods, with the Wii U struggling and the investors pressuring them to expand their IP use to mobile. Indeed, they did so, in the Nintendo way of charging a premium for their product and before their days of micro transactions and the like.

I enjoyed the game greatly, though never got 100% or even unlocked all of the characters (something that I usually do religiously in the home console entries). I could accept the game for what it was, a slightly simplified version of New Super Mario Bros, but in more bite sized pieces. I’ve chipped away at it over many years but probably hadn’t thought about it in a while.

This week I found myself in Tokyo, plenty of time standing on busy trains, usually with my phone out, trying to quick catch on Pokémon Go, but struggling to do so, as, for the most part, needing to hold onto the handles to prevent myself from falling. It was then, that Super Mario Run popped into my mind. Particularly this quote from Mr Miyamoto (from CBS)

"Super Mario Run" is designed to be played one-handed - while holding a handle on the subway, eating a hamburger or, eating an apple.”

So I downloaded the update and jumped in, playing the full game over the last few days, exclusively while standing on the train in Tokyo, and by God, it works so well and it gave me a new appreciation for exactly what they were going for. We’ve seen this kind of problem solving from Nintendo so many times (since staying in apartments with my family in Japan, I also have a new found appreciation for the idea behind the Off TV play of Wii U), but this just instantly clicked again for me, and is such a Nintendo thing.

It really hits the nail on what they were trying to achieve and I feel like it is one of Nintendo’s unsung gems. I’ll be now working through all the coin challenges and unlocks for the rest of my journery.

Has anyone else experienced it this way? What other examples of use cases of products that you haven’t really understand until you gain the perspective in mind?

It really is an excellent mobile game that’s perfectly designed for the platform it’s on. I only wish its pricing model would have caught on more, because it’s great and much preferable to the typical free-to-play shit that has plagued mobile games.

It really is an excellent mobile game that’s perfectly designed for the platform it’s on. I only wish its pricing model would have caught on more, because it’s great and much preferable to the typical free-to-play shit that has plagued mobile games.
It’s got tons of replayability too. Characters and levels to unlock, challenges to try, it really is a great package and I hope that anyone who hasn’t tried it does in case it ever goes away.

Last edited:
I'd play a Switch port with Wonder visuals. It can also be one-handed with a single joy-con.

It’s got tons of replayability too. Characters and levels to unlock, challenges to try, it really is a great package and I hope that anyone who hasn’t tried it does in cas it other run ours
Yeah, I still play it daily to this day! Mostly just Toad Rally for the Platinum Points, but I am still playing Remix 10 every now and then because I still need one more decoration—the Gold Yoshi Statue. Other than that, though, I’ve completed the game 100%!

That’s awesome: not sure I’ll get that far but I at least want to unlock the star levels. Some of these unlock conditions are ridiculous but I’m guessing there’s a pattern

I played a ton of this game early on. It scratches an itch that the various endless runners it often got compared to don't scratch, which is these well designed levels with a sense of flow. Endless runners can have a fun flow state in them, but they depend on you eventually failing. The levels are built to let you succeed, and master them. Totally different philosphy.

Reminded me a lot of Polara which was the best mobile game I had played, when it came out. (And remains underrated)

it feels wrong to have a thread on Mario Run being designed for play with one hand without posting the legendary video Nintendo made to demonstrate this.

in a similar, but more unofficial example. the notorious public access TV show "Gaming in The Clinton Years" discovered you could similarly eat a pizza while playing Earthbound. as that game maps the L button to multiple useful functions.

I wish we got more mobile games using its design philosophy, honestly. But even I understand the gacha way is too profitable to ignore and can’t really blame them.

Sorry didn’t mean to post.

I am editing in my response rn it’ll just take a mintue

I accidentally canceled why am I like this today. I’m just gonna restart typing it.

I don’t wanna type it all again so I’ll make it quick.

Mobile games are fundamentally designed to not be games in a traditional sense as the aspect that keeps the player there isn’t the game but rather the high of gambling or increasing numbers.

This is done in 2 ways.

Gatmeeping poayers via time or making the gameplay tedious and annyoing so they suck up and pay.

Or give so much free stuff out that the player then pays to replicate the high they got by gambling.

I have two examples I broguht up.

During 2.8 Genshin introduced a new area, it had the best puzzle the devs ever made and really cute stories with pretty good exploration.

But ebcause the puzzzles were so hard not everyone could comeplte them and the reception was awful.

They don’t care about the gameplay they care about the gambling, whether the devs want to make something or not the playerbase won’t respond unless they can breeze through it and ever since the game has had puzzles a 2 year old could solve.

Then there’s Mario kart tour, to win you need the highest points rather than pacing first place. And every stage has differnt characters and equipment Whic gives mroe points and item slots. The grind without paying is tediously slow so a lot of people suck up and pay to skip the grind to win in a system designed for people who don’t pay to lose.

No matter how great the game is (both of those are beautiful full games with a lot of fun aspects and especially music, check out both of their soundtracks they are heavenly)

The mobile aspect drags them down so hard by needing to a playerbase that only wants to see their numbers go up or win at gambling. It’s an effective way to make , but it really compromises how good a game can be.

Mario run on the other hand is a small game that they priced at a very cheap price point, becuase of this it doesn’t have any of those aspects and is a mobile game in very much the same way as the classics (pvz and angry birds) where it’s just a proper game but on a smaller scale with no time wasting money grubbing bullshit to deal with

Last edited:
I bought it too at launch thought it was solid

What upsets me most is that people were complaining and clamoring to just outright buy apps instead of MTXin the heck out of it

Nintendo finally releases a substantial nearly FULL Mario game for $10 and people rejected it.

I wonder what else we would have got if it caught on I think it was a fair price … maybe if it was like $6 instead?

Back
Top Bottom