• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Super Mario RPG on NSO: will it ever get released?

let's a-go?

• Yes, it will release on NSO soon or within the year

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Yes, but not for several/many years

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • No, it will not be released on NSO and it will not be rereleased in any other format

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • No, it will not be released on NSO but it will get rereleased in another format

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Mekanos

おっす!
Pronouns
he/they
Are we doomed to forever suffer a shortsighted legal agreement between Nintendo and Squaresoft circa 1996? Will Super Mario RPG ever be officially playable in a portable format? Is this retribution against the original line of Mario RPGs?

tumblr_mg66jxa9Ms1rrftcdo1_500.gif

RIP

They've failed to get Square Enix to work with them so far, and it's at their mercy.

If it ever happens they'll make a big deal out of it in a Direct, I imagine.

I think if it doesn’t hit NSO, they should just sell it separately for $8-$10 whatever. I’d prefer that.

Ask Squaresoft, it's on them

TBH I mostly see it as a case of not being worth the licensing costs or Square wanting to do another method of reissuing (ie: a modern QOL filled port of some kind)

Other: No, it will not release on NSO. It was already recently rereleased on the SNES Classic.

Curious how the poll will shift from my thread back in February:

Keep in mind Nintendo paid to get Goldeneye on the console. Whatever they would need to pay Square for Mario RPG, it can’t possibly be as costly as Goldeneye.

I think this will end up like the “mainline Persona” thread where it just eventually happens. Who knows when, but it’s coming.

Curious how the poll will shift from my thread back in February:

I was one of the 5 people who voted no! I'm holding strong in my cynicism! Join me!

It was on the Wii VC (it's how I played it) so sure.
A lot of third party games were on Virtual Console that weren't on NSO, though. I don't think any Square games are on NSO, but I could be wrong.

Other: No, it will not release on NSO. It was already recently rereleased on the SNES Classic.
I dunno if 5 years is "recent," really.

I still selfishly want it to get a remake of some sort. If anybody still has the original assets in some form that would be suited well to a "HD2D revival", it's probably Nintendo.

I was one of the 5 people who voted no! I'm holding strong in my cynicism! Join me!

A lot of third party games were on Virtual Console that weren't on NSO, though. I don't think any Square games are on NSO, but I could be wrong.

I dunno if 5 years is "recent," really.
I feel like they’ll do something with it. Like it’s the biggest glaring omission from the NES and SNES NSO line ups, though I go back and forth what that something is and if the time is now (2023) or much later.

Given Square’s heavy investment in remakes/remasters for the last few years I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been a discussion point between the two companies.

And I think that might be a cleaner option than an NSO release.

On the other hand, Square-Enix holding out on NSO is just weird. Like I get that they wouldn’t be interested in putting Final Fantasy on there when they know people will pay $15 a pop for them, but it’d be a great place to put games like Rad Racer or Robotrek that aren’t going to get re-released any other way.

Square just interested is nso and it's there game. Not sure why anyone still expects this to hit the platform. Best hope Square decides to remake it or do an enhanced re-release like the pixel remasters.

Looked for "as soon as Nintendo closes on their purchase of Square Enix in two years" as an option, felt that "other" wasn't good enough.

Am now slightly disappointed, but only slightly.

I wonder if there was any truth to the claim that Square was willing to sell over their rights to the game but Nintendo just didn't give a shit about buying. It could obviously be normal internet lies, but... that sounds very in-character for Nintendo, lol.

No because Sony won’t allow it when they buy Square Enix next year

/s… hopefully
Man if Sony buys SE, this game is never seeing the light of day again.

I have it on my SNES mini and my Wii, so I am fine, but I would probably pay two or three hundred bucks just to have a SNES cart, though I think I do still have mine somewhere...

Buy it on Wii U before the eshop closes. It’s the only way to be sure!
Already did, which is nice because the Wii U GamePad is semi-portable, but damn I'd love to have SMRPG portable for real.

Even on my PSP the game chokes quite a bit, and depending on the emulator outright crashes on the minecart minigame (thanks Mode 7).

Shit even a game like Banjo-Kazooie is finally portable.

The incentive for Nintendo to fork over more money to land this one like they did Banjo and Goldeneye might be lesser considering those two are big lures for the higher priced tier, and if this was on the NSO, it wouldn't be.

The incentive for Nintendo to fork over more money to land this one like they did Banjo and Goldeneye might be lesser considering those two are big lures for the higher priced tier, and if this was on the NSO, it wouldn't be.
Maybe we should just ask them nicely

I'm more curious if Nintendo ever pays out just to get SE stuff generally on Switch? I think it'd be worth it even outside the big two (FF/DQ) which keep getting remade anyway. I could definitely see excitement over things like Secret of Mana, The Quintet Gaia trilogy, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle/64 or Mischief Makers, not to mention all the Taito stuff we could blow the doors open on.

I'm not au fait with how licensing works nor do I know who owns what part of this particular game, but it would be a shame if the two companies cannot come to an agreement. How does Nintendo currently get third-party titles onto NSO? Do they pay a one-off fee? Do they give a percentage of the sales of NSO subs? Do they pay on the basis for how long someone plays a particular title, like the music streaming model (pay per play royalty)?

It's not a game I can see receiving a remaster/remake treatment any time soon so hopefully someone will put their proverbial finger out and get it on the service at some point. I fully expect NSO to continue into the next gen so it would make sense to still have some big hitters in reserve as they grow the subscriber numbers.

They are totally doing a remake. For sure, for sure.

Something like Link's Awakening HD meets Trials of Mana style visually tho, would be my guess.

Would be really cool if they gave it a claymation look.

People keep bringing this up, as if "low resolution sprites in low poly 3D world" isn't the worst possible fit for a game stylized as a smooth 3D world with smooth 3D characters to begin with.
If anything they should just have the game using the same look as the original but with real-time rendering rather than faking it with sprites. Someone did a student project using this idea and it looks superb.

I dont think its going to happen. I think its stuck in the same licensing limbo that chrono trigger is. I think nintendo would only do it if it was easy and the cost of doing it was basically free. Because it requires a little more effort than other snes games, they wont do it

Off Topic: But I was looking for Nintendo Japan website. If there was stock for the Nintendo 64 controller for Switch Online. And yeah, they got stock.: You can buy them 4 at them time if you want too.

Problem is Nintendo doesnt want to ship them abroad. And Nintendo of Europe doesnt get any supply and Nintendo of America gets a few for like 5 minutes. Its really weird why they wont fill up stock for these items. Especially Nintendo doesnt want you to button map in the Switch Online emulators. Why are you this ignorant Nintendo.
FhtaS8_WYAIIu-y

Yes, I will make it happen.

Seriously though I do think it will come to NSO eventually.

I mean they released Links Awakening DX on Gameboy NSO even though it's remake is also on switch so anything is possible

I mean they released Links Awakening DX on Gameboy NSO even though it's remake is also on switch so anything is possible
Yeah but that's a Nintendo game, which Super Mario RPG is not. Square hasn't licensed anything for NSO and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I’m really won over by what we’ve seen of the remake so far, but provided the NSO apps transfer over to Switch 2, I hope a few years down the line we’ll see the original version get released in some fashion.

Coolest thing would be if it was included within the remake as an option, but not hoping high at all there.

Based from what we seen from today’s trailer, the game seems to be a 1-to-1 remake. So that would explain fairly easily why it hasn’t released on NSO. I think the original still could, but not until quite some time after this game has released.

Back
Top Bottom