• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How Will Super Mario RPG Come To Switch Or Will It At All?

How Will Super Mario RPG Come To Switch Or Will It At All?

• Full Remake (substantial graphic and gameplay changes / additions)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
With the news that Earthbound has arrived on NSO following the latest Nintendo Direct, there remains one high profile first party SNES game missing from the service: Super Mario RPG The Legend of the Seven Stars. Super Mario RPG was the very first Mario RPG and is still my favorite edging out Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga. Mario RPG was made by Squaresoft and modern day Square Enix still has some ownership over the game including original characters like Geno. In other words, Nintendo has to work with Square to release it.

As the last major holdout, how do you think Super Mario RPG will arrive on Switch or will it skip the platform entirely? The poll above lays out multiple ways it could appear from a normal NSO release to a full blown remake. Bonus question how would you want it to appear? Personally I just hope I can purchase and own it however it comes because to this day we’ve never had a portable version of the game.

It will be either be NSO (expansion pack or normal) or an eShop purchase. I guess we'll see if Expansion Pack brings Square Enix to the NSO table or not.

I don’t understand why it would be an eshop purchase and not NSO? It has come to VC before, it’ll come to NSO now. Just like Earthbound, Nintendo likes to sit on things lol

HD-2D is a dream tho. Nintendo was on the right track with 3D classics, thanks for ruining that for us Urban Champion

I've decided to hope for a remake scenario. Because that would be interesting to see for all sorts of reasons.

I imagine it'll actually just be a super late NSO drop after Nintendo finally pays Square enough for it lol

It will be either be NSO (expansion pack or normal) or an eShop purchase. I guess we'll see if Expansion Pack brings Square Enix to the NSO table or not.
The only thing with saying it is locked behind the Expansion Pack is that you’d probably need a separate app for it right? If the functionality did exist, wouldn’t it be weird if it was inside the normal SNES app? Like hey you get all of these games except this one? I do think the Expansion Pass could potentially fund a traditional NSO release however.

Was thinking of selling my Wii, this thread has me wondering if I can charge more for it since I have Super Mario RPG on it :unsure:

I'm sure it will come to NSO at some point. People were saying that Earthbound on NSO also wouldn't happen and that we'd get a remake or something but then look what happened.

I just wish Square Enix didn't own any of it so we wouldn't be having problems here.

I've given up all hope because I believe it's Square being a diva and wanting a ridiculous amount of money. We know that Nintendo is willing to pay, which is evidenced by Sega and Rare games being in the service, and a freaking James Bond game is heavily rumored to come at some point. It's likely that Nintendo has already tried to negotiate SMRPG's release, but they couldn't reach an agreement. The Superstar Saga remake lacking the Geno cameo also makes me think that Square is overpricing their decades old IP.

I know Nintendo does dripfeed, but c'mon SMRPG should have been released or announced along Paper Mario, just like the Mother games or the DKC trilogy.

it was on the SNES mini in both the US and PAL regions so they're probably just waiting to renegotiate licensing with square for a rainy day drop

Pixel Remaster. I don't see a more involved remake from Square like giving it the hd-2d treatment.

Also it's not a first party Nintendo game. It's always been a Squaresoft/Square Enix game. They only bothered to release it on Wii U (along with Final Fantasy tactics advanced) when Could got into Smash 4 as dlc.

Would love to see a remake like many others. Although with Nintendo's IP mandates a faithful remake is pretty unlikely.

It will be a NSO release (if at all); any other option is outlandish to me.

Absolutely zero chance of a remake. Either Square plays nice for NSO or they don't. I'm cynical and gonna say it won't happen despite wanting it badly.

Full HD remake split up across several games, where mysterious ghosts try to prevent Mario and friends from altering the course of the original story.

Also Reno is there

My dream would be to see the original game running in real-time along with the DKC games. I doubt that'll happen because it will require the original art assets (which may be lost) or rebuilding them from scratch.

I don't think the pre-rendered art style will really translate well to HD-2D.

I do think Square is silly for not showing much interest in NSO to date. It's the perfect dumping ground for early projects like Rad Racer and curios like Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which would be hard to get people to pay for as independent releases. On the other hand, it effectively locks the content to Nintendo and currently Square seems much more interested in getting their back catalog on as many platforms as possible.

I also think that if Nintendo wants this happen bad enough they'll make it happen. They were able to get SMRPG and Final Fantasy VI on the SNES Mini after all.

My dream would be to see the original game running in real-time along with the DKC games. I doubt that'll happen because it will require the original art assets (which may be lost) or rebuilding them from scratch.

I don't think the pre-rendered art style will really translate well to HD-2D.

I do think Square is silly for not showing much interest in NSO to date. It's the perfect dumping ground for early projects like Rad Racer and curios like Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which would be hard to get people to pay for as independent releases. On the other hand, it effectively locks the content to Nintendo and currently Square seems much more interested in getting their back catalog on as many platforms as possible.

I also think that if Nintendo wants this happen bad enough they'll make it happen. They were able to get SMRPG and Final Fantasy VI on the SNES Mini after all.
I mean, it's a Mario game.. it's not like it would be released anywhere else, regardless of other hypothetical scenarios.

I do believe SMRPG will show up on NSO eventually, it's just a matter of.. uuh, having at least a handful of games that "matter" on their sleeves for an occasion they feel it needs a little boost of good faith from the audience. Otherwise, no one would be caring about future SNES updates, without that antecipation of a bigger game dropping or not.

Full HD remake split up across several games, where mysterious ghosts try to prevent Mario and friends from altering the course of the original story.

Also Reno is there
Now I want to see Mario in gritty FF7R PS5 graphics…just for fun.

I mean, it's a Mario game.. it's not like it would be released anywhere else, regardless of other hypothetical scenarios.
I should've been clearer. I meant the other Square/Enix back catalog oddities that aren't popular enough to warrant a Unity port let alone a full-blown remaster of sorts. NSO is the perfect dumping ground for that stuff.

only people who own squeenixcoin can purchase an nft which is represented by a gif of super mario rpg and grants them access to a cloud version

It’s on SNES Mini, Wii, and Wii U. I’m sure it will come to Switch eventually. Probably on NSO.

Square has been mean about their games on NSO but this one is a Nintendo collab so if it ever comes to Switch it'll be through NSO.

Square are remaking their entire SNES back catalog so I don't see them adding anything else to the service though.

Back
Top Bottom