• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Super Mario RPG director wants to make Super Mario RPG 2

You can't just come out and say something like this. I'm going to be unable to get SMRPG out of my mind for months. The pain, it's all coming back...

Ha ha! I didn't really consider that!

But yeah, I mean. I'm not really sure of what kind of game you're looking for here with a hypothetical "SMRPG 2"

You keep asking me how two similar but not identical series are different from each other aside from the differences that make them similar but not identical. But you already answered your own question here:

I mean. The gameplay is pretty much an exact evolution from what we saw in SMRPG. You can call it a spiritual sequel, but I have no qualms calling it SMRPG 2 when it already follows the core gameplay of the original so closely (and is made by 99% the same staff too). It's a sequel in all aspects except for story.

and here:

You'd just essentially be trading the co-op Luigi/Mario dynamic for a party-based system, with all that entails.

How can I make you understand a difference that you have observed yourself but fail to acknowledge as such? I legit don't understand what's so hard to comprehend about this.

I men we are all getting into semantics here with spiritual successor and direct sequel really. Or as I like to call them, Spiritual Successor Plus, as in the rights to this entry is tricky, so here is this game that I will not say is a direct sequel for legal reasons.... as I for sure consider Dark Souls a sequel to Demons Souls despite having a different name for example, but Sony owns Demons.

I mean we need to look at the Japanese release of M & L where it is known ass Mario and Luigi RPG. But everything from the mechanics, the weird abstract world and characters in that series feels just like SMRPG.

But getting back to it, I do feel that some people just want to see the name "Square" on it for the sake of it, despite the creative team having formed Alpha or gone to work with Nintendo and IS with Paper Mario.

I think what he is getting at is that he wants Mario, and have the partners rotate so Luigi, Peach, X made up character.

Also, someone mentioned mother. Do I think Mother can be revived without Itoi? I do. His arc is over, but we can always get a new arc. Saying it cannot is saying he is the only person talented enough to handle satire and introspective themes about coming of age and the world around us. They just have to find a writer who has the talent.

The only real key difference between a "SMRPG 2" and another M&L game would be trading the Luigi co-op gameplay for an RPG party system (with partners that you pick up along the way). Otherwise, what other major difference is there?
Different setting and characters.

As much as I am a huge fan of both Mallow and Geno, as well as all of the Squaresoft-created bosses, I would be super pumped for an SMRPG2 that used Mario, Peach, Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, and Birdo as party members, and then have familiar and new villains from just Nintendo. If it’s easier to get the game made without Squares involvement, then I say go for it.

Just leave the “Mario” council out of it. People want a little bit of lore with their Mario. That’s why I think Mario RPG stands out from the rest of the bunch.

the one good thing about the Mario Shadow Council is that it means we get better original characters/designs
Yeah, I can give a shit about fat toad or skinny toad or koopa with a mustache. Give me weird original quirky characters, which is why I always enjoyed M & L more than PM in general.... with exception to SPM, which is just god tier with its weird cast and why it is actually the best PM game.

Yeah, I can give a shit about fat toad or skinny toad or koopa with a mustache. Give me weird original quirky characters, which is why I always enjoyed M & L more than PM in general.... with exception to SPM, which is just god tier with its weird cast and why it is actually the best PM game.

Most successful one too which is why they should make another one like it.

Let's grease the gears by having Square-Enix get to work on Super Mario RPG HD-2D.
This is a suggestion I've begun to see a fair amount lately -- since the reveal of Live-A-Live, especially -- and, while it's a possibility they might decide to try for this, I'm not convinced it properly fits with what the original game was. The original specifically went for a 3D aesthetic in an era where 2D might be expected; I could see a pitch for an HD-2D followup specifically as an inverse of the original's situation, but to do the same for the original would be a major alteration (can you say 3Doriginal/HD-2Dfollowup double pack?).

There does seem to be a decent amount of hype going around for the idea, so it might appear the concept is a majority opinion, but apparent hype isn't always a clear metric:
If they ever remade/remastered I am in the minority in that I would want the game to use the Switch Link’s Awakening style or the style of Kirby and the rainbow curse and not HD-2D.

Not every remake of a (Super) Famicom Square Enix game needs to be HD-2D; and I definitely don't think it'd work for Super Mario RPG. If the game were remade it should be with 3D models that replicate the game's original style.
It does seem pervasive now that any such game is seen in discussions as prime to be made HD-2D, even in such cases where a remake is clearly not necessary. It can be a neat technique, but, really, not everything needs to be made as such.

But, yeah, the idea has sprung up lately, and I expect it will continue to do so:
This was my take on the idea of HD-2D Legend of the Seven Stars over in the General Discussion thread:

It would be kind of wild, the specifically 3D-rendered Super Mario RPG to be turned into pixels for the HD-2D aesthetic. I wouldn't necessarily put it past them, at least to try it, though.

I wonder what sort of negotiations would have to take place for a remake of that game, regardless of the final direction.

Almost kind of figure such talks might be the necessary step for anyone to decide they want to make an actual follow-up, or to get the approval needed.

Regardless, it did lead to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

Oh, I agree. There probably is a sizeable audience for it, or at least sizeable enough.

The 3D game does seem it could be expensive to make, but is more in keeping with the idea of the original. You make a good point, though, that Nintendo is likely, in such a case, to provide existing models so the game better matches the brand aesthetic, rather than allow the game to explore what the models might look like as based on the original game.

And it's possible they try to pull it into their 2D-HD craze, despite the dissonance with the original iteration. That seems a bit less likely to me, though, since it evokes less the game it once was and there are a lot of other projects waiting in line for the 2D-HD treatment.

I kind of think there could be something of a middle ground, though, where the models and all are updated (but preferably not made into generic Mario) to look nice with our modern technology and sensibilities, but the game retains something of its visual identity. I'm not sure entirely how that should work, but the idea seems to make sense.

I guess it depends on their ambition and how much work they want to put into it, or how much they prefer to keep it closer to its original form (your proposed 2D-HD iteration might even remain closer to the original than that all-out 3D remake in everything but visuals).

Regardless, a Mario RPG in that style, even if not Legend of the Seven Stars, could totally work, and I would be interested to see it.

Basically that the idea could happen but seems to go against the idea of the game as it exists. Basically, this:

I don't feel like Super Mario RPG fits with the HD-2D style at all. The original game was trying to envoke quasi-3D graphics in an almost claymation style. A remake style closer to Link's Awakening or Pokémon BDSP would be better in my opinion.
Are you imagining it with a completely different style? Pre-rendered CG look of the original was all about trying to fake a 3D look, which doesn't seem like it would mesh well with having low-res flat sprites walking around in real 3D world. I'd imagine an SMRPG remake looking much more like Mario+Rabbids.

With the question of Monolith Soft regarding Xenogears earlier, it makes me consider how some of their art team would do as far as updating this.

It could be interesting to see a followup use the style, though, specifically as an inverse of the original.

Which seems the proper context into which to drop another bizarre take of mine:
But Paper Mario always was HD-2D style.

What is so obtuse about what I'm saying? Alphadream IS the original SMRPG team. I simply feel that any hypothetical "SMRPG 2" would essentially be more or less identical to the M&L games. You'd just essentially be trading the co-op Luigi/Mario dynamic for a party-based system, with all that entails. I really don't think it'd be all that different from what we actually got.

I can't really imagine it being radically different from the actual M&L games, since they are, essentially, the "SMRPG 2" that you are asking for. What would actually be different in your mind? (outside of it being a console game vs a handheld one).
WAS*

Also I think SMRPG was still different enough that a sequel would feel different from M&L.

Yeah, HD-2D style would not work. SMRPG has that add kinda early CG looking sprites where they look like either claymation or stopmotion animated movies.

I think in the style of Links Awakening or Rainbow Curse would work best IMO. I love me some Octopath, but I don't want SMRPG with a shit ton of bloom and vintage film reel black borders lol I love the look.... for Octopath! Not Mario.

When I envision "HD-2D style remake for SMRPG" I am not envisioning literally what the other HD-2D games are doing exactly. I realize that exact style as we have come to know it wouldn't work quite the same way here, but I have no other reference point to get across for what it looks like in my mind.

I feel like most people who say this also don't literally mean like the other "HD-2D" games but we just don't know how else to explain it.

I just a M&L game like the first put with a nice wacky cast of characters both original and from the Mushroom Kingdom. Decent writing and pretty good mechanics. Plus we should have a rotating cast of characters to partner with like Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Mario, and the like to really spice it up.

I feel like M&L doesn't get the same reverence in online forums as Paper Mario or SMRPG. M&L had the original devs of the game that started it all, the same composer, the same gameplay, etc. Either way, I want Fujioka or some combination of the original devs to work on SMRPG2, a new 3D M&L, or a brand new Mario RPG series with Yoko Shimomura returning.

It does seem pervasive now that any such game is seen in discussions as prime to be made HD-2D, even in such cases where a remake is clearly not necessary. It can be a neat technique, but, really, not everything needs to be made as such.
I'm getting tired of all the HD-2D begging. The style is not so amazing that it outclasses every other way of bringing a 2D RPG to modern hardware. It does not fit every type of game, and there are many different things you can do with 2D that look just as, if not more aesthetically pleasing. It's especially bizarre that some people want to shoehorn HD-2D into SMRPG when the original was somewhat of a precursor to 3D Mario in both looks and gameplay.

I'm getting tired of all the HD-2D begging. The style is not so amazing that it outclasses every other way of bringing a 2D RPG to modern hardware. It does not fit every type of game, and there are many different things you can do with 2D that look just as, if not more aesthetically pleasing. It's especially bizarre that some people want to shoehorn HD-2D into SMRPG when the original was somewhat of a precursor to 3D Mario in both looks and gameplay.
It's as bad as people wanting every new fighter to copy Guilty Gear Strive

Well, Mr Fujioka, that's great because I also really want you to make Super Mario RPG 2!

Either you or Sakurai. Because I think Kirby showing up in a SMRPG would be awesome and make total sense.

Let's grease the gears by having Square-Enix get to work on Super Mario RPG HD-2D.
How would that even work? Super Mario RPG wasn't really a 2D game like other 2D games that get HD remakes, It's an Isometric platformer RPG combo

How would that even work? Super Mario RPG wasn't really a 2D game like other 2D games that get HD remakes, It's an Isometric platformer RPG combo
You guys are right on "HD-2D" not being the best approach, I forget that the term applies to a specific style and technology.

What I mean is really just bringing that game back either remastering or remaking it. Gorgeous up the visuals, gussy up the soundtrack.
With a nod to the look (not the perspective) of Links Awakening remake, I'd love to see the latter approach. And then they could build off that with a big ol sequel that pulls in other galactic Nintendo characters like Kirby, ROB and Mr Saturn.

With a nod to the look (not the perspective) of Links Awakening remake
It seemed weird to me that Link's Awakening got a remake that went for an "mid-90s pre-rendered" aesthetic, but it makes perfect sense for a game that legit was mid-90s pre-rendered.

Alphadream had basically everyone who made the original SMRPG. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga WAS SMRPG2. In fact, we're up to Super Mario RPG 6 at this point!
Those games weren’t Mario rpg

Mario rpg felt more like final fantasy with Mario in it

Mario Luigi or paper Mario felt like a Mario game with very little rpg added to it. None of the games released after Mario rpg have felt like a sequel to Mario rpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom