• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Super Mario RPG director wants to make Super Mario RPG 2

This just in:

Mother 3 director wants to make Mother 4!

I haven't actually played Mother 3 or any of the EarthBound series of games or spinoffs; I'm just one of those people that get excited about old games getting remakes or sequels that I haven't played before.

This just in:

Mother 3 director wants to make Mother 4!

I haven't actually played Mother 3 or any of the EarthBound series of games or spinoffs; I'm just one of those people that get excited about old games getting remakes or sequels that I haven't played before.
This is actually the one explicit case where it’s the complete opposite lol

Well, Mr Fujioka, that's great because I also really want you to make Super Mario RPG 2!

Either you or Sakurai. Because I think Kirby showing up in a SMRPG would be awesome and make total sense.

Let's grease the gears by having Square-Enix get to work on Super Mario RPG HD-2D.

this about sums it up

I am both of these people

Off topic now but ... It'd be Toby Fox rite?

He'd be the one to make a Mother 4. Assuming a Mother game could exist w/o Itoi's involvement.

Edit:
Nvm, I had the notion Fox and Itoi were chummy, but after googling I don't think that's the case.
Must.have mixed that up w/ Sakurai or someone else

he doesn't tho
You two didn't click the spoiler tag...

1491131228_sad-in-the-rain.gif

Yeah, this has given me enough hopium to sustain myself for another decade.

At least now we know some folks really are interested in bringing it back.

It's kinda strange to think that Mario RPG essentially got two different successors: Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, the latter of which being developed by some of the old Mario RPG crew.

Of course the former series stopped being an RPG eons ago and the latter series is now dead. Maybe it is time for Mario RPG 2, or something new.

I’d love if Super Mario RPG got a remake too. It’s such a perfect game. I do wonder about the music licensing though…

Hell, I’d also take a release on NSO. The game is an all time classic and for a lot of people, a beautiful introduction to what a turn-based RPG is.

It's kinda strange to think that Mario RPG essentially got two different successors: Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, the latter of which being developed by some of the old Mario RPG crew.

Of course the former series stopped being an RPG eons ago and the latter series is now dead. Maybe it is time for Mario RPG 2, or something new.
both were developed by super mario rpg staff

Well that's one way to get a traditional Paper Mario.

Can't see it happening, but hey, why not dream Geno fans

JUST DO IT!!!! cough

But uh yeah, that would be really awesome. I really wonder how a modern day Super Mario RPG would be made right now, it might even sate the hunger of certain OG Paper Mario extremists (like me)

Was there any confirmation on where Fujioka ended up after AlphaDream shut down? He and a few other former staff were credited in Fantasian, so Mistwalker or Arzest are likely bets.

If they ever remade/remastered I am in the minority in that I would want the game to use the Switch Link’s Awakening style or the style of Kirby and the rainbow curse and not HD-2D.

If they ever remade/remastered I am in the minority in that I would want the game to use the Switch Link’s Awakening style or the style of Kirby and the rainbow curse and not HD-2D.
I don’t think you’re in the minority here - I think the common “unofficial” hope was that a remake would be in the Links Awakening style. I’ve seen it mentioned on multiple forums and discord groups.

Seeing Geno in HD would make the 25 year wait worth it!

Not every remake of a (Super) Famicom Square Enix game needs to be HD-2D; and I definitely don't think it'd work for Super Mario RPG. If the game were remade it should be with 3D models that replicate the game's original style.

I would love a Super Mario RPG 2. The original is still the best Mario RPG. Just keep the Mario Council away from it.

Would be cool for the fans.

Personally, I’ve always found Super Mario RPG to be very mediocre, Ugly and the writing is far weaker then the Paper Mario series.
That's where I'm at too but, in my case, I attribute a lot of that to growing up with the likes of the N64, PS1, GC, and PS2 than anything else

I imagine a modern SMRPG 2 would be a much better game than the original

I'm curious what a Super Mario RPG 2 would be like. I've always been against a new one because the original creators have been scattered to the winds but if they can get Fujioka, Shimomura and others back together that could be interesting.

Title is misleading, he never actually says that he wants to make "Super Mario RPG 2", he specifically says that he wants to create another Mario RPG where you only control Mario.

I'm curious what a Super Mario RPG 2 would be like. I've always been against a new one because the original creators have been scattered to the winds but if they can get Fujioka, Shimomura and others back together that could be interesting.
Alphadream had basically everyone who made the original SMRPG. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga WAS SMRPG2. In fact, we're up to Super Mario RPG 6 at this point!

Last edited:
Would be cool for the fans.

Personally, I’ve always found Super Mario RPG to be very mediocre, Ugly and the writing is far weaker then the Paper Mario series.
I thin it is one of the better looking SNES games. Especially how they did it it. It aged much better than most N64 games.

Alphadream had basically everyone who made the original SMRPG. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga WAS SMRPG2. In fact, we're up to Super Mario RPG 6 at this point!

I mean I vastly prefer M&L, specifically Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, to SMRPG but this is like saying Dark Souls is Demons's Souls 2. The existence of a spiritual successor isn't really relevant to what a hypothetical sequel to a game would be like.

I mean I vastly prefer M&L, specifically Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, to SMRPG but this is like saying Dark Souls is Demons's Souls 2. The existence of a spiritual successor isn't really relevant to what a hypothetical sequel to a game would be like.
I mean. The gameplay is pretty much an exact evolution from what we saw in SMRPG. You can call it a spiritual sequel, but I have no qualms calling it SMRPG 2 when it already follows the core gameplay of the original so closely (and is made by 99% the same staff too). It's a sequel in all aspects except for story.

Likewise, I have no qualms about calling Dark Souls "Demons' Souls 2"; that one is an even closer carbon copy of the core gameplay even!

SMRPG is just a name. Slapping a "2" at the end doesn't make it more legitimate of a sequel than M&L SS was. That's like saying that Super Mario Sunshine isn't a sequel to Super Mario 64 because it doesn't have a "2" slapped onto the name.

I mean. The gameplay is pretty much an exact evolution from what we saw in SMRPG. You can call it a spiritual sequel, but I have no qualms calling it SMRPG 2 when it already follows the core gameplay of the original so closely (and is made by 99% the same staff too). It's a sequel in all aspects except for story.

Likewise, I have no qualms about calling Dark Souls "Demons' Souls 2"; that one is an even closer carbon copy of the core gameplay even!

SMRPG is just a name. Slapping a "2" at the end doesn't make it more legitimate of a sequel than M&L SS was. That's like saying that Super Mario Sunshine isn't a sequel to Super Mario 64 because it doesn't have a "2" slapped onto the name.

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse about what an actual direct sequel to SMRPG would entail.

Yeah, I don't really understand what's the difference between a SMRPG sequel and the M&L series. Like, what would the sequel do to be a proper sequel without being more of the same and without being too much like a M&L?

I think this is one of those cases were people are caught up in nostalgia but aren't really sure what they want.

Yeah, I don't really understand what's the difference between a SMRPG sequel and the M&L series. Like, what would the sequel do to be a proper sequel without being more of the same and without being too much like a M&L?

I think this is one of those cases were people are caught up in nostalgia but aren't really sure what they want.

I have no nostalgia for SMRPG, I was just wondering what a game would look like if they made a game that actually follows SMRPG and its own interpretation of the Mushroom Kingdom, the characters, tone etc. rather than the M&L continuity. This cannot possibly be that difficult to understand.

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse about what an actual direct sequel to SMRPG would entail.
The only real key difference between a "SMRPG 2" and another M&L game would be trading the Luigi co-op gameplay for an RPG party system (with partners that you pick up along the way). Otherwise, what other major difference is there?

Even tonally, there is really not much to separate the M&L games from SMRPG. Foes like Antasma really aren't a million miles removed from who you see in SMRPG. The M&L games might be more absurdist than the original SMRPG, but that's really just a natural upping of the stakes that comes with continuous sequels.

Even if they released a game called "Super Mario RPG 2", it would essentially be another M&L game, just without Luigi.

The only real key difference between a "SMRPG 2" and another M&L game would be trading the Luigi co-op gameplay for an RPG party system (with partners that you pick up along the way). Otherwise, what other major difference is there?

Even tonally, there is really not much to separate the M&L games from SMRPG. Foes like Antasma really aren't a million miles removed from who you see in SMRPG. The M&L games might be more absurdist than the original SMRPG, but that's really just a natural upping of the stakes that comes with continuous sequels.

Even if they released a game called "Super Mario RPG 2", it would essentially be another M&L game, just without Luigi.

I'm not really sure what your argument here is. I didn't say that it would be a radically different game. If you reduce a spiritual successor to its essentials it's obviously going to be the same as the game that inspired it. That's kind of the point. I was merely wondering what the result would be if the original SMRPG team sat down and had to come up with SMRPG2. I'm sorry that I can't explain the difference between Mario & Luigi 6 and a hypothetical SMRPG2.

Again, you're being deliberately obtuse about this and I think you know it.

I'm not really sure what your argument here is. I didn't say that it would be a radically different game. If you reduce a spiritual successor to its essentials it's obviously going to be the same as the game that inspired it. That's kind of the point. I was merely wondering what the result would be if the original SMRPG team sat down and had to come up with SMRPG2. I'm sorry that I can't explain the difference between Mario & Luigi 6 and a hypothetical SMRPG2.

Again, you're being deliberately obtuse about this and I think you know it.
What is so obtuse about what I'm saying? Alphadream IS the original SMRPG team. I simply feel that any hypothetical "SMRPG 2" would essentially be more or less identical to the M&L games. You'd just essentially be trading the co-op Luigi/Mario dynamic for a party-based system, with all that entails. I really don't think it'd be all that different from what we actually got.

I can't really imagine it being radically different from the actual M&L games, since they are, essentially, the "SMRPG 2" that you are asking for. What would actually be different in your mind? (outside of it being a console game vs a handheld one).

Back
Top Bottom