• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Super Mario Odyssey 2 might have been leaked years ago

1574223767586.png

"Gumbas" eh

To be fair, Goombas are named Gumbas in, eg, German. Like it's the official German spelling that Nintendo also uses here. It's pronunced like the English Goomba though.

Japanese pronunciation is 90% identical to German pronunciation. If they were to romanize Goomba without talking to any of the English staff at NoA first, they would probably end up writing it like Gumba just based on the pronunciation they know.

Now, that's not to say I believe this. Even if a survey was conducted, it's a survey. Nintendo sends me surveys about the games I bought from them all the time. I know this most likely was not THAT kind of survey, but it still means they were considering things, and might not actually have made them in the end.

To be fair, Goombas are named Gumbas in, eg, German. Like it's the official German spelling that Nintendo also uses here. It's pronunced like the English Goomba though.

Japanese pronunciation is 90% identical to German pronunciation. If they were to romanize Goomba without talking to any of the English staff at NoA first, they would probably end up writing it like Gumba just based on the pronunciation they know.

Now, that's not to say I believe this. Even if a survey was conducted, it's a survey. Nintendo sends me surveys about the games I bought from them all the time. I know this most likely was not THAT kind of survey, but it still means they were considering things, and might not actually have made them in the end.
Thanks for the correction. Though that doesn't explain the "Bowler" typo.

No I think they legit meant Bowler. Not Bowser. Though that would be an easy auto-correct mistake, but it says Bowler is Cappy's best friend. So I assume he is a Bowler hat. So there really is no typo there at all. XD

No I think they legit meant Bowler. Not Bowser. Though that would be an easy auto-correct mistake, but it says Bowler is Cappy's best friend. So I assume he is a Bowler hat. So there really is no typo there at all. XD
Oh wow I actually hadn't read the context of that part ha

That would actually be genius if that's real. They could make jokes the whole game about Bowler not being Bowser.

Oh wow I actually hadn't read the context of that part ha

That would actually be genius if that's real. They could make jokes the whole game about Bowler not being Bowser.
It would be, if they actually write out the names this time instead of just using emojis with everyone's faces xD (or did they do both? I can't seem to remember)

But then again I am not sure if that joke would work in Japanese since Bowser is just Koopa in Japan and idek what Bowler hat is in Japanese. So most likely it would need to be added in localization.

" Hundred of new sidequests that offer up over a hundred hours of additional.. " mmh...
I mean, if we do like all the missions Odyssey 1 had and get all the moons and play some Luigi's Balloon World you can get past 100h, no?

The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ™️ was announced at E3 2019 with in game footage. I think it's a safe assumption that Super Mario Odyssey 2 was probably in development by then too, with the difference that Mario games are announced closer to launch. Odyssey 1 came out 7 months later than BotW, it probably scrapped development later too. BotW 2 is coming in 2022, probably holiday. Super Mario Odyssey 2 is probably coming in 2023, potentially early.

It's all things we can assume from development history alone. I like this leak because even if damn fake we can speculate on Odyssey 2. Odyssey was literally one of the best experiences I had in my life, I can't wait to play the next.

I didn't catch on that people weren't getting the Bowler thing, lol.
In my defense I was reading it while waiting for my pizza order to be ready and trying to distance myself from other pizza patrons.

About the leak being fake or not:

I think the informations on Sonic are so on point that literally rules out a coincidence. The images being stolen from fan arts and screen shots are obviously:
  • they wouldn't straight up risk leaking an early beta footage of a Sonic 2022 game that could even turn into any other thing
  • and surveys are done by marketing researches contracted by companies I guess? It's not like is Kenta Motokura or Yoshiaki Koizumi making the surveys. They give a task to the employee and they will work with images that they see like fitting to the idea they are researching.

Now, as others pointed out, it could be a case of something entirely done on Sega side to know what the public opinion on a full open world sonic would be like. So them describing a more ambitious sequel to the best selling 3D platformer ever and seeing what the answers would be like so they could see how the reaction on a game like that with Sonic would be is a pretty likely scenario.

We shouldn't just jump to "damn it leaked". It was a real leak of Sonic, that's for sure, whether the Mario part was just to see what costumers would think with a rival or if somehow it's shared staff or a survey company contracted by both EPD and Sonic Team(which sounds a bit unbelievable), only time will tell.

I'm pretty sure Bowler would be a new characters, from cap kingdom, like Cappy and Tiara were. It's mentioned as Cappy's best friend, which surely wouldn't be Bowser lol.

Man, if this leak does end up being true, I'd be thrilled. Odyssey is in my top 3 games of all time, so more Odyssey is a ginormous plus in my book.

What part of his leak describes what we saw of Sonic Frontiers, besides the "exploring the open world" aspect? I don't see the title anywhere

His Odyssey 2 claim seems too good to be true.
While it definitely sounds like a fake idea just to get the opinions of the survey, I think whenever the next Mario comes it would be what we might see as too good to be true.
If anyone leaked Odyssey in 2016 I would think it would be too good to be true. I actually got to parts that I didn't get spoiled while playing Odyssey that I thought "WHAT? AM I REALLY PLAYING THIS??". The game is so great that looks like straight up fanboy dreams.

And Odyssey 1 was done in more or less 4 years. Its sequel is taking longer to develop than the base game, and they have engine and assets ready. I think they're going way bigger than just interactive sequel, just like BotW 2 will take longer to make than BotW 1 and is bringing a ton of new ideias(sky exploration for example).

20 kingdoms wouldn't be thaaaaat hard to happen as Odyssey 1 almost had that, and the next game will take at least one year more than Odyssey to end its development.

What I definitely don't want to happen is Luigi being the second playable character. Damn he's already got his 10m seller Switch game. It's DEFINITELY time for Peach to be the second playable character. Moreso due to her already having Tiara for the capture mechanic. Creating another cap just for Luigi... With the "Bowler" name lol. I would totally love to have Pauline as playable too. And Rosalina. Heck just give all the princesses and the Mayor some protagonism Nintendo.

Man, if this leak does end up being true, I'd be thrilled. Odyssey is in my top 3 games of all time, so more Odyssey is a ginormous plus in my book.
I mean, this???
Odyssey just doesn't get all the recognition as one of the best games ever made that it absolutely deserves. Playing it made me feel good, euphoric, happy, amazed, impressed, fun, just after months(years even) of depression.
Zelda BotW is just as amazing, I've been playing it now. BotW2 and Odyssey 2 are my dream duo, there's no way i don't fanfic about them.

What I definitely don't want to happen is Luigi being the second playable character. Damn he's already got his 10m seller Switch game. It's DEFINITELY time for Peach to be the second playable character. Moreso due to her already having Tiara for the capture mechanic. Creating another cap just for Luigi... With the "Bowler" name lol. I would totally love to have Pauline as playable too. And Rosalina. Heck just give all the princesses and the Mayor some protagonism Nintendo.
They should just give you the option at the start of the game of which mario character+hat companion you want to play the game as.

Let's get Peach her own game again. It's been far too long. She needs more than one game.

1574223767586.png

"Gumbas" eh

I missed this image. This doesn't sounds farfetched at all.

Nintendo has mentioned that sales are moving from Switch-per-household to Switch-per-person, and having games that have a strong co-op requiring multiple Switches feels like a logical step. Part of me even expects them to introduce a bit of it in Breath of the Wild 2.

Also "Bowler" is too clever and fun to not be real.

Most likely that the Sonic part is real, and the Mario part is fake (either by the 4chan user or by whatever sloppy intern threw together the survey with fan renders, as some kind of point of comparison or something).

Edit: Good summary here:

The reason they include a question about a Mario Odyssey 2 sequel, is because they are interested to see what the people who liked Odyssey(a very popular recent platformer) and would be interested in more, think about their Sonic pitches. Which ones did they hate, which ones did they love or feel neutral about. It's marketing research.

A real survey regarding potential Justice League tv show pitches might present surveyees with questions about made up sequels to the recently popular WandaVision and Loki shows. Just to compare what fans of those successful series think of their actual JL show ideas.

Last edited:
The reason they include a question about a Mario Odyssey 2 sequel, is because they are interested to see what the people who liked Odyssey(a very popular recent platformer) and would be interested in more, think about their Sonic pitches. Which ones did they hate, which ones did they love or feel neutral about. It's marketing research.

A real survey regarding potential Justice League tv show pitches might present surveyees with questions about made up sequels to the recently popular WandaVision and Loki shows. Just to compare what fans of those successful series think of their actual JL show ideas.
So either you're saying Sega made up details about a hypothetical Odyssey 2 as a comparison for survey takers, or you are suggesting that there is some firm out there with insider knowledge on both Sonic and Mario that would be able to put out such a survey. Either way points to this being fake as hell

So either you're saying Sega made up details about a hypothetical Odyssey 2 as a comparison for survey takers, or you are suggesting that there is some firm out there with insider knowledge on both Sonic and Mario that would be able to put out such a survey. Either way points to this being fake as hell
That's how I feel about it. But to be fair, I don't really know lol.

Bowler me if wrong.

I wish there was a 3D Mario game with over 100 hours of gameplay lol. I didn’t strictly time it, but I’m pretty sure my recent 100% replays of every 3D Mario took me a tad less than 100 hours.

And Odyssey 1 was done in more or less 4 years. Its sequel is taking longer to develop than the base game, and they have engine and assets ready.

I don't know about that. Are we sure when they started development on Odyssey 2? Are we even sure they are making a sequel, beyond this leak?

Too good to be true

give the amount of other leaks we have about nintendos pipeline i think we would have heard about it by now

and why would a survey that was right about sonic stuff have any mario things in it at all

I mean, it has to be one of those two options, right? What else could it possibly be?

I don't know about that. Are we sure when they started development on Odyssey 2? Are we even sure they are making a sequel, beyond this leak?
EPD 8 recruited for a 3D game in recent years, though it's possible that was for Bowser's Fury.

I remember Nate referencing Odyssey 2 at least once, though I think maybe he meant the next 3D Mario. There is also the DK rumours, which suggest the 3D Mario team at EPD 8 are continuing to work on that while a new team was set up for DK.

I'd be very surprised if a new 3D Mario wasn't in development, but whether or not it's an Odyssey sequel is difficult to know.

I hope they fix the moon system in Odyssey 2. Loved the main campaign of Odyssey but hated having an infinite amount of purchasable moons. It just left me with no desire to hunt for any post-game collectable moons.

Even if real it doesn't say anything wildly outlandish, seems like expected stuff. When do you guys think the next 3D Mario would be revealed? Next Direct? Or E3?

I hope they fix the moon system in Odyssey 2. Loved the main campaign of Odyssey but hated having an infinite amount of purchasable moons. It just left me with no desire to hunt for any post-game collectable moons.

Agreed. It’s the literal only part of the game I didn’t like.

I would take an Odyssey 2 in just about any form though! That concept and engine are just too damn good for a one and done

Nothing sure, but EPD Tokyo is always working on the next 3D Mario when one is wrapped up:

We know Galaxy started development late 2004 after DK Jungle Beat, Galaxy 2 right after galaxy one(just 2.5 years of development!), we also got the confirmation of Odyssey being in development by april 2014, so we know it started after 3D World wrapped up. By hirings, we know EPD Tokyo is making at least one 3D and one 2D game(that's probably DK).

The only releases by them after Odyssey were Captain Toad and Bowser's Fury, which were also helped heavily by NST. Their main project with the bigger bulk of devs is probably the next 3D Mario. It's taking way longer than it ever got. The last 5 years gap between 3D Mario's was Sunshine to Galaxy, and that was from one gen to another, with a major project done in between (DK Jungle Beat). Galaxy 2 came out 2.5 years after Galaxy, and 3D World only two years after 3D Land. Odyssey 4 years after 3D World. Galaxy 3 years after Jungle Beat. We're already at the longest gap between EPD Tokyo releases. Whatever comes next will be big.

Even if real it doesn't say anything wildly outlandish, seems like expected stuff. When do you guys think the next 3D Mario would be revealed? Next Direct? Or E3?
I think the ideal scenario is it being the ending announcement of the February Direct. Just like Splatoon 3 was this year. With a 2023 release year. I think it'll be the big March game of 2023.

But they can always save it for E3, but I think next year will be more focused on Zelda on the blowout, holiday game side, and Metroid Prime 4 as the "coming next year" side. That can be swapped if they show it on the February direct to give a longer hype cycle to Prime Remaster. Then Odyssey 2 is announced at E3 with a March 2023 release date. Just like Animal Crossing New Horizons at E3 2020.

Wait you think the whole thing is fake? Even after they listed those Sonic details so incredibly accurately?
I think the Mario parts are incredibly fake, yes. One possible explanation is someone with insider info on Sonic put together some bogus slides to try and trick people. Among probably many other possibilities.

Its real, but also fake, something Sega created to gauge interest in different concepts, no way Nintendo and Sega would have a survey together

I think the Mario parts are incredibly fake, yes. One possible explanation is someone with insider info on Sonic put together some bogus slides to try and trick people. Among probably many other possibilities.
You know, I'd respond by saying why on earth would someone present their knowledge as a survey like this and mock up a whole bunch of these things when only one is real but I guess people have gone to further age stranger lengths to make fake leaks before.

Still, I'm not sure I'd immediately discount this as a real thing some marketing firm did even if the Odyssey stuff isn't real (and I hope it is because Bowler is genius)

You know, I'd respond by saying why on earth would someone present their knowledge as a survey like this and mock up a whole bunch of these things when only one is real but I guess people have gone to further age stranger lengths to make fake leaks before.

Still, I'm not sure I'd immediately discount this as a real thing some marketing firm did even if the Odyssey stuff isn't real (and I hope it is because Bowler is genius)
It's multiple things that all add up to make this sound like bs. Like I said, the typos, the unrealistic concepts, the stolen screenshots, the bizarre idea of such a survey existing, etc. And like you said people have faked far more elaborate things

It's multiple things that all add up to make this sound like bs. Like I said, the typos, the unrealistic concepts, the stolen screenshots, the bizarre idea of such a survey existing, etc. And like you said people have faked far more elaborate things
There are no typos apparently. Gumba is a common European spelling of Goomba.

And the only thing unrealistic about the concept is the "over a hundred hours" thing

The word "bizarre" bothers me because I dont see Nintendo using it to describe something in a Mario game.
Doesn’t sound particularly different from the eShop description for Odyssey; “Get ready to be whisked away to strange and amazing places far from the Mushroom Kingdom!”

Strange; bizarre; practically interchangeable.

remember when odyssey teased delfino isle?
  • at one point captain toad is holding a map of delfino isle.
  • You can unlock marios sunshine hawaiian shirt.
  • you can see the island on the global atlas.
all for nothing :mad: we better get a sequel

I can believe it's a legit survey, but I don't believe it means anything about anything other than marketing research for a potential game, which might not even be Mario

Back
Top Bottom