• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Super Mario Odyssey 2 might have been leaked years ago

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him

An anonymous user correctly leaked the plot, setting, and gameplay of Sonic Frontiers in 2019, and Odyssey 2 info was talked about alongside it. The photos show surveys talking about the games. I will not be linking the 4-Chan leak itself here for very obvious reasons.

IF TRUE (take with a grain of salt as per usual), Odyssey 2 will feature 20 locations, Luigi, co-op, and sidequests.

Apparently someone on the subreddit did some digging and found the sonic pic in the /v/ thread on deviantart I think? Either way though too much shit lines up for it to be so easily dismissed, if true we might have Odyssey 2 relatively soon, I'd be very hyped.

I’m skeptical. But I did think Nintendo will have a Mario game for the release window near the film.

First odyssey was what? October 27ish for 2017 right? Mario might come out Christmas or November. Perfect combo

What part of his leak describes what we saw of Sonic Frontiers, besides the "exploring the open world" aspect? I don't see the title anywhere

His Odyssey 2 claim seems too good to be true.

See this is the only time it's worthwhile to look into 4chan "leaks", when you have part of the leak that looks legit it makes the rest of it far more credible.

Apparently someone on the subreddit did some digging and found the sonic pic in the /v/ thread on deviantart I think? Either way though too much shit lines up for it to be so easily dismissed, if true we might have Odyssey 2 relatively soon, I'd be very hyped.
That's why I said take with a grain of salt. Everything lines up except that. Either the poster had a very lucky guess or this is real but they tried to post a fake image with it.

The leaker easily could have known the Sonic stuff while also being full of shit on the Mario side of things

Taking this with a big ol grain of salt

What part of his leak describes what we saw of Sonic Frontiers, besides the "exploring the open world" aspect? I don't see the title anywhere

FGWoKUtXwAk7lQ2

I mean the titan sized boss battles, the name Starfall islands, etc, its all pretty on point, plus going super sonic on the boss battles lines up with the other frontiers leak a year later

Separate islands, Sonic waking up with amnesia not knowing how he got there, giant enemies.

FGWoKUtXwAk7lQ2

I mean the titan sized boss battles, the name Starfall islands, etc, its all pretty on point, plus going super sonic on the boss battles lines up with the other frontiers leak a year later

Oh shoot, I forgot those points were actually in the trailer. Nice

How those survey things work is you include a bunch of fake videogame concepts to throw people off the scent of the real project that the survey is actually interested in. The only interesting thing in that post is the official synopsis of Sonic Frontiers circa 2019 or so.

How those survey things work is you include a bunch of fake videogame concepts to throw people off the scent of the real project that the survey is actually interested in. The only interesting thing in that post is the official synopsis of Sonic Frontiers circa 2019 or so.
but doesn't that indicate at the very least that Super Mario Odyssey was in the works at the time then, even if the description isn't accurate and its one of the fake ones

The fact that Frontiers exists gives this less credence, imo. Why would Sega or whoever did the survey know about a hypothetical Odyssey 2 in that much detail? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah but it’s interesting how out of all the fake sonic concepts that were supposedly thrown at them the one they chose to leak turned out to be correct

The fact that Frontiers exists gives this less credence, imo. Why would Sega or whoever did the survey know about a hypothetical Odyssey 2 in that much detail? Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm assuming that its from multiple surveys and not a single one, or from a firm that does focus testing for both Sega and Nintendo or something, either way its clear that the format is the same so it clearly is from the same source and if one of them is right, the other one definitely has a shot of being right

Hmmm! Possible Odyssey 2 stuff? I'll give it the time of day and keep my eyes open for these details. Won't expect it and won't care if it isn't true. Mario generally always delivers for me so I'm good either way.

I do really really want some Mario & Luigi co-op though in giant sand box worlds!

Yeah but it’s interesting how out of all the fake sonic concepts that were supposedly thrown at them the one they chose to leak turned out to be correct
Probably just the one that sounded the most legit to them. They posted another one of the "half a dozen" Sonic pitches in the thread and it sounds ridiculously stupid.

1574221161711.png

So Odyssey 2 sounds like Galaxy 2 style sequel.

IMO, they should add something new like a Fall Guys multiplayer mode so people doesn’t get the perception of Odyssey 1.5.

I mean Odyssey 2 is just safe bet anyway. But i expected it a lot sooner, but yeah covid is still a thing. But i don't know what they are doing for 5 years with it, engine and everything is done from the first game. Also interested in new EPD 9 game, it's been a while.

I think Odyssey 2 is the Holiday 2022 game if BOTW2 isn’t ready. If not it slips to Q1 2023. They have to be pretty far along in the development of it I would think.

I think Odyssey 2 is the Holiday 2022 game if BOTW2 isn’t ready. If not it slips to Q1 2023. They have to be pretty far along in the development of it I would think.
I would say that Odyssey 2 could be late summer game - September or something, just in line with the movie for the holidays.

tumblr_ntxbtg5sh11r721aho3_500.gifv

I mean I won't argue against my favorite Switch game getting a sequel, by all means, just wish that write up sounded even slightly not made up lol.

tumblr_ntxbtg5sh11r721aho3_500.gifv

I mean I won't argue against my favorite Switch game getting a sequel, by all means, just wish that write up sounded even slightly not made up lol.

ut how then to explain the right things about Sonic, like the type of game, the plot and even the name of locations?

ut how then to explain the right things about Sonic, like the type of game, the plot and even the name of locations?
Sometimes people have real info about one thing and fake info on other things. It happens.

Maybe they are right about everything, I don't know. It just sounds off to me. I'm fine with being wrong tho, I would be happy to be in this case lol.

I don't think it's fair to call this leak fake when it does seem to obviously be a real survey event. The point of these events seems to be to present a number of possible concepts, some real and some not, and it's very possible the Sonic one shared is real and the Odyssey 2 one is not.

But it's quite clear this is a real leak.

If Odyssey 2 is real, is the DK rumor fake? I doubt Tokyo grew big enough for two big projects, especially a sequel that was massively larger than the predecessor.

Of course, thinking how Galaxy 2 followed Galaxy, Odyssey 2 having more locales does not mean much if the kingdoms are much smaller and honed in. If real, I hope the co-op is optional.

As others have mentioned, not every concept is going to be legit. Did we see other Mario concepts from this source?

If Odyssey 2 is real, is the DK rumor fake? I doubt Tokyo grew big enough for two big projects, especially a sequel that was massively larger than the predecessor.

Of course, thinking how Galaxy 2 followed Galaxy, Odyssey 2 having more locales does not mean much if the kingdoms are much smaller and honed in. If real, I hope the co-op is optional.

As others have mentioned, not every concept is going to be legit. Did we see other Mario concepts from this source?
The DK rumor has always stated that it was by a smaller side team at EPD Tokyo. So yes, it's big enough for both if we believe the rumor.

MonkEPD was always rumored to be developed by an EPDTokyo second team.

The DK rumor has always stated that it was by a smaller side team at EPD Tokyo. So yes, it's big enough for both if we believe the rumor.

MonkEPD was always rumored to be developed by an EPDTokyo second team.

That'd be sweet. I guess that happened with Captain Toad to a lesser extent. Has the headcount grown significantly in EPDTokyo? I know that NST helped a lot with Bowser's Fury; maybe they are providing support for one of these projects, too.

Gumba

Why would there even be a survey covering both Sonic and Mario. The typos, the stolen screenshot, the stuff that sounds like a gamer's fanfic wet dream (side quests offering up over a hundred hours of additional content in a Mario game? Yeah okay lol), it all adds up to sound like a bunch of baloney

That'd be sweet. I guess that happened with Captain Toad to a lesser extent. Has the headcount grown significantly in EPDTokyo? I know that NST helped a lot with Bowser's Fury; maybe they are providing support for one of these projects, too.
As was explained to me over in the development thread, one major reason Nintendo moved an EPD group to Tokyo was to take advantage of the easy availability of freelance staff through outsourcing - so yes, EPD 8 aren't that big in terms of permanent staff, but they can easily be bumped up because of their location.

As far as we can add any credence to the DK rumour, it's worth pointing out the number of things which suggest EPD 8 are expanding:

• they moved into a much bigger new building in Tokyo recently
  • Nintendo split DK off into its own merchandise category in recent years, are opening a DK part for their theme parks, and are supposedly creating a DK film. Remember that Nintendo's licensing initiative (films, theme parks, shops etc) is designed to draw consumers into the videogame business; those other DK initiatives would be odd without any plans in Nintendo's core game business
  • they've worked on multiple smaller projects on the Wii U (Captain Toad plus the NES Remix titles)
  • the 3D Mario team gets development support from 1-Up Studio and increasingly NST, which might help create capacity for any other project at EPD 8

Personally, given Nintendo's concrete commitment to expanding internal development (extra funding and new facilities in Kyoto confirmed in recent weeks), I think it's likely they want EPD 8 working on a couple of projects at a time. My other best guess is that the DK game takes longer to arrive than the next 3D Mario, because the latter has established assets on Switch, while DK doesn't have that recent history at EPD. It wouldn't surprise me if DK has been in the works for a while at EPD, but they won't let it see the light of day until they've got it right.

Gumba

Why would there even be a survey covering both Sonic and Mario. The typos, the stolen screenshot, the stuff that sounds like a gamer's fanfic wet dream (side quests offering up over a hundred hours of additional content in a Mario game? Yeah okay lol), it all adds up to sound like a bunch of baloney
The reason they include a question about a Mario Odyssey 2 sequel, is because they are interested to see what the people who liked Odyssey(a very popular recent platformer) and would be interested in more, think about their Sonic pitches. Which ones did they hate, which ones did they love or feel neutral about. It's marketing research.

A real survey regarding potential Justice League tv show pitches might present surveyees with questions about made up sequels to the recently popular WandaVision and Loki shows. Just to compare what fans of those successful series think of their actual JL show ideas.

Gumba

Sorry if I missed this, but also is this a survey put out by Sega? Why would Sega have knowledge of Odyssey 2? Or am I misinterpreting things here....

Sorry if I missed this, but also is this a survey put out by Sega? Why would Sega have knowledge of Odyssey 2? Or am I misinterpreting things here....
It's likely a marketing firm. Who probably does work with Sega but possibly also with Nintendo.

Wait for Emily or Nate to come into the thread and say it's all true. What an apocalypse that would be.

For sure...but I'd rather they didn't.

Unlike past years where chunks of the line-up were left secret until 3-6 months prior to releasing, 2022 feels different. Many tentpole releases are already announced, and the resulting line-up is ridiculous. If we add in the other heavily rumoured titles (Xeno 3, MP1 'Remaster'), I'd rather leave anything else as a surprise.

Edit: I guess nothing's implied that this would be 2022...

Back
Top Bottom