• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Super Mario Odyssey 2 might have been leaked years ago

With the context of this being a survey, it seems very unlikely that both a Sonic game and Mario game in it are real.

So the Mario team has this one done and ready and are already deep into the next Mario game? I mean Nintendo does have a habit of sitting on games. I wouldn't expect them to sit on one as important as a 3D Mario for more than 2 years though. Odyssey is still selling so who knows but if true then I believe they have a couple of other gems they are sitting on.

So the Mario team has this one done and ready and are already deep into the next Mario game? I mean Nintendo does have a habit of sitting on games. I wouldn't expect them to sit on one as important as a 3D Mario for more than 2 years though. Odyssey is still selling so who knows but if true then I believe they have a couple of other gems they are sitting on.
Hmmm, no?
Odyssey 1 took 4 years to make, and we only got to its 4th anniversary last October.
Breath of the Wild also took 4 years and its sequel is coming about 5.5 years after it. It's just a mix of games taking bigger scopes, taking longer to develop on Switch era, and the COVID-19 factor to make things worse.
The next 3D Mario is probably far into development, but not finished, and they certainly are not sitting on it, because games they were sitting on were leaked by insiders(NSMBU, now Metroid Prime Remaster finishing development for release late next year, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, etc). We also have to take into account that this time around they also made minor projects alongside the development, like new levels on Captain Toad and Bowser's Fury. Also there's a smaller team making a 2D game(presumably Donkey Kong).
It feels like a lot of time but it's just the amount of time games are taking on the Switch era. Splatoon 3 is also coming 5 years after 2, Kirby and the Forgotten Land 4 years after Star Allies, etc.
I believe the next 3D Mario should come by the first half of 2023. 2022 is already stacked, and I don't really believe they'll release both Mario and Zelda during the same holiday season.

Back
Top Bottom