• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Super Mario Maker 2 thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

Does anybody still play Super Mario Maker 2? I remember playing it quite a lot during the Summer of 2019, but not so much after that. However i recently got back into it and it is still quite fun. Haven't had much time to create levels but i have some ideas and it's very fun to see community created levels, some of them are very fun are creative! So that made me wonder if anyone here still actively plays the game, feel free to discuss anything Mario Maker here in this thread!

I've been meaning to crack it open again. Although I feel like 100% of my creativity is going to be occupied by building stupid boats and cars in Hyrule, I've always wanted to make a "realistic" Mario game. As in Super Mario World 2 (not Yoshi's Island)

Recommend if anyone wants to get back into the game, they join the 0% club. They are a group of people on a quest to beat every single level from 2019.

Although I do not actively play it, I pick it up from time to time. More interested in playing rather than building, but I did make some levels at the time!

Does anybody still play Super Mario Maker 2?
Yes!!

I haven't had much time for creating this year, but I found a legitimate fucking treasure trove of user generated levels that I want to explore- mainly from a big community user and also the Celeste game designer has released a few.

I'll post a big share list when I get home, let's get some 2D Mario flow going! I uh, detest speed runs and one trick levels usually and more usually play cohesively themed levels and worlds featuring classic Mario platforming wonder.

1305922.jpeg

I am more of a building kind of guy (even if I am not sure I am any good at it), but I'd love to play some traditional levels if anyone has any to recommend.

I gathered my levels in a Super World if anybody wants to give them a shot.

MCP-K2W-2QF

It wasn't planned as a Super World from the start since that feature only came out much later, so there might be some difficulty curve problems, but it is what it is. :)

I go back to it frequently, and watch a ton of content creators like Thab, Lilkirbs, Carlsagan42, Geek, etc.

Most of my play time is doing the XYMM levels, or doing multiplayer with randoms.

I adore Mario Maker, and I was pretty gutted when support for it ended early (or at least it felt early). I never did get around to finishing a Super World, maybe I should do that now that I have time.

I'll post some of my levels in a little bit, I'm proud of them even if they're not super flashy or anything.

Still play infrequently. Big fan of the concept & execution aside from some elements of the curation

My career as a level designer is over though. I made one (bad) Land Before Time themed stage like 5 people played

I'm still waiting by the phone for a call from Miyamoto to congratulate me on my vision

Okay, I made more courses than I remembered, haha. I'll just put my maker ID here:

BT6-9JK-1QG

I mainly work with the World and SMB3 styles, with a few SMB1 levels and one 3D World level (I do not care for the NSMB style at all). I'm particularly happy with how Death Mountain Drop and Planet Goombud turned out.
I am more of a building kind of guy (even if I am not sure I am any good at it), but I'd love to play some traditional levels if anyone has any to recommend.

MCP-K2W-2QF

It wasn't planned as a Super World from the start since that feature only came out much later, so there might be some difficulty curve problems, but it is what it is. :)
Gonna give these a try now!

Sadly no. Never did click with me like the original because creating levels felt more cumbersome. I think MM1 was THE best argument for the Wii U tablet.

But I want to try it again. Not with TotK on the horizon though.

Planning to buy it at some point but not sure when. Hope to play some Fami members’ levels when I do

Yes!!

I haven't had much time for creating this year, but I found a legitimate fucking treasure trove of user generated levels that I want to explore- mainly from a big community user and also the Celeste game designer has released a few.

I'll post a big share list when I get home, let's get some 2D Mario flow going! I uh, detest speed runs and one trick levels usually and more usually play cohesively themed levels and worlds featuring classic Mario platforming wonder.

1305922.jpeg
Cool!! I mainly play traditional levels as well, i would love to see your list, sounds great.

MCP-K2W-2QF

Will check them out later! Looking forward to seeing what you came up with.

Okay, I made more courses than I remembered, haha. I'll just put my maker ID here:

BT6-9JK-1QG

I mainly work with the World and SMB3 styles, with a few SMB1 levels and one 3D World level (I do not care for the NSMB style at all). I'm particularly happy with how Death Mountain Drop and Planet Goombud turned out.

Gonna give these a try now!
Thanks, i'll try them out later!

Thank you all for all of your replies so far!

What a coincidence, I literally booted it up again yesterday for the first time in forever. I played the game quite a bit in 2020. Though I was surprised when I found more than 50 (!) levels in my levelbot. There are few things more fun than rediscovering the levels you made years ago, no matter how crappy some of them are. So many memories

Someday I'll load it up again and potter around in it. That day is not today, though.

I still play it very often. So many incredible levels have been made. Some of this stuff is just flatout the best 2D Mario content ever created.

This is my maker code. I have levels of all difficulties and 54 uploads. I mostly make traditional levels and have a 20 level super world uploaded with a collection of my old levels. I'm working on a new one slowly. Give em a try. Not to toot my own horn but they are pretty damn good.

0QH-9NY-PDG

I still play it very often. So many incredible levels have been made. Some of this stuff is just flatout the best 2D Mario content ever created.

This is my maker code. I have levels of all difficulties and 54 uploads. I mostly make traditional levels and have a 20 level super world uploaded with a collection of my old levels. I'm working on a new one slowly. Give em a try. Not to toot my own horn but they are pretty damn good.

0QH-9NY-PDG
I'll check these out!

Also, I wanna highlight a great level I just found:

WHF-BJ6-M8G

Fairly easy but I love the concept of the map.

0QH-9NY-PDG
Thanks! I'll check your levels later :)

This is my old list of level creators who have made really good courses and super worlds. Its outdated now and I should really update it with more current and active users but for anyone playing it is a good start.

Edit: Added a few more recent users towards the top.

Gotdatmony: 0QH-9NY-PDG

^^^ Dats Me 👀

Some other creators to check out.

Still Active

MasterDS: 2Y6-3DB-8DF (really good creator, love his levels)
TRISKLORD: NJH-1JJ-KJG (really awesome design, dense, cool concepts, challenging)
TRISKNIGHT: MX7-S9H-6VF

Eagleclaw: KV7-437-GNF
Lavergne87: F5H-6G3-KCG
Chris_P.: N2J-R5L-4XG
LordBows14: 6GY-9T8-Q7G (great super world)

Less Active/Inactive

Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG (full world is incredible)
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG (full world is incredible, easy difficulty)
KingBooBro - 6DM-DC9-QTF
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
abizboah - DLJ-NNF-8JG

GokouD - 29V-SMD-4JF
Megastryker - 61W-T6D-WDG
Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N2G (My favourite creator. Plainly this is the best project in the entire game imo)
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G

Buflen: MMF-HSW-TBG (higher difficulty, last level is incredible)
ElMrTaco: RF9-M6W-9XF
NatkatX: 0LK-3X5-LFG
Matilder: 485-X4Q-KXG

QuixoticN: KD8-8WM-9MG (God tier concept designer)
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG (full world is incredible)
Simbabbad: V0V-RQV-S4G

Ragingbegl: GFF-4D0-8RF
DivideBy0: 5J7-TRL-VKF
IceMarker: 82Y-DCM-1SF
Wijuci: 4DH-X8R-62G

TehLobster: QM6-G34-CXF
J-Spot: 4XR-JB1-PGF
GreenMamba: 008-11G-01G
Steve618: XD9-S6K-13G

Show some love to these creators. Definitely checknout the super worlds of the ones I highlighted and try to give active creators some play. They definitely get encouragement from seeing recent stuff supported.

Last edited:
This is my old list of level creators who have made really good courses and super worlds. Its outdated now and I should reaply update it with more current and active users but for anyone playing it is a good start.

Gotdatmony: 0QH-9NY-PDG

^^^ Dats Me 👀

Some other creators to check out.

Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG (full world is incredible)
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG (full world is incredible, easy difficulty)
KingBooBro - 6DM-DC9-QTF
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
abizboah - DLJ-NNF-8JG

GokouD - 29V-SMD-4JF
Megastryker - 61W-T6D-WDG
Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G (My favourite creator. Plainly this is the best project in the entire game imo)
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G
Buflen: MMF-HSW-TBG (higher difficulty, last level is incredible)

Matilder: 485-X4Q-KXG
QuixoticN: KD8-8WM-9MG (God tier concept designer)
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG (full world is incredible)
Simbabbad: V0V-RQV-S4G

Ragingbegl: GFF-4D0-8RF
DivideBy0: 5J7-TRL-VKF
IceMarker: 82Y-DCM-1SF
Wijuci: 4DH-X8R-62G

TehLobster: QM6-G34-CXF
J-Spot: 4XR-JB1-PGF
GreenMamba: 008-11G-01G
Steve618: XD9-S6K-13G
Wow, that's quite the list. Thanks!

Nice to see this thread here. I bought the game on day 1 but really rarely play it these days, it's still a lot of fun though. Anyone remember how shortly before launch they announced you can't play with friends and people were pissed so just days after, at E3 they returned back and said it's coming, but it was almost 4 months after launch. World Maker update was cool, but it came in April - 10 months after launch and it was final update. And I don't get why the Maker website does not exists here, as for the Wii U version or at least some sort of Switch Online phone app connection with searching for levels.

There are so many great levels but I feel like a lot of times you have problems finding these and the tags won't really help. It's a great game but Nintendo somewhat forgot about it. Maybe it lacks the first feel that it had on the WIi U. Still, I hope the future for Maker series is bright, new 2D Mario is 98% coming this year and hopefully new Maker game sometime on future hardware.

It's crazy that the game will be turning 4 next month.

image.png

my mario maker 2 id CPN-CW8-MXF
FvTR_FLaQAARkgj

Bowser tank fortress version 2
XSK-3B4-WYG
bowser jr gimmick fotress
4XX-261-6LG

Nice to see this thread here. I bought the game on day 1 but really rarely play it these days, it's still a lot of fun though. Anyone remember how shortly before launch they announced you can't play with friends and people were pissed so just days after, at E3 they returned back and said it's coming, but it was almost 4 months after launch. World Maker update was cool, but it came in April - 10 months after launch and it was final update. And I don't get why the Maker website does not exists here, as for the Wii U version or at least some sort of Switch Online phone app connection with searching for levels.

There are so many great levels but I feel like a lot of times you have problems finding these and the tags won't really help. It's a great game but Nintendo somewhat forgot about it. Maybe it lacks the first feel that it had on the WIi U. Still, I hope the future for Maker series is bright, new 2D Mario is 98% coming this year and hopefully new Maker game sometime on future hardware.

image.png
Just wondering, what makes you so certain about a new 2D Mario game coming this year?

Looks like we have some veritable shell slinging in our community! Super psyched to jump around with you all.

Side note: in all my decades of jumping around as stellar plumbers, I think the Mario Maker outfit is my favorite of them all!!!

iu

It's like the fire flower costume but somehow EVEN COOLER!!! 😆

Just wondering, what makes you so certain about a new 2D Mario game coming this year?
It's various people working on Splatoon series missing from Splatoon 3, they last credit being Octo Expansion in 2018 and am not just talking about some unnamed staff, various people who back in the day were heavily involved in 2D Mario like Yusuke Amano who was previously NSMB2 Director and for latest titles involved in Splatoon 1 & 2 as one of the Directors he suddenly went missing from Splatoon 3, the same for Shigeuki Asuke who was previously Director on NSMB Wii, and then involved in Splatoon 1 & 2 and suddently he went missing from Splatoon 3 and these are just 2 names from top of my head, there was talk about it in First Party Thread.

2D Mario is perfect Holiday game for Switch, I don't think successor it coming this year and 2D Mario is title which don't need to be saved for next-gen hardware. The game will probably get annnounced next month, to have 4-5 months from reveal to release as almost every other 2D Mario game, it will probably (and hopefully) be a huge departure from NSMB games, which at this point it almost certain as they said couple years ago that new 2D Mario really needs to be something different. The staff between 2D Mario and Pikmin is different so there is no problem releasing these games closer to each other for EPD10. For example NSMBU shipped in November 2012 and Pikmin 3 was supposed to be out by March 2013 (5 months apart)

image.png
I definitely feel they somewhat dropped the ball on supporting this game. And yeah, finding good levels can definitely be like finding a needle in a haystack, so threads like this are a godsend in that respect.

I think I'll start on a new level today, playing all these other ones has got me inspired.

I'll check these out!

Also, I wanna highlight a great level I just found:

WHF-BJ6-M8G

Fairly easy but I love the concept of the map.

Level was solid. I've seen that creator around on Twitch recently. The map concept has been around for a bit especially when the Link powerup came about but it's normally good fun either way. There have been some unreal Link dungeon levels.

Saw you played a few of my levels already. Hope you had fun with em :)

It's various people working on Splatoon series missing from Splatoon 3, they last credit being Octo Expansion in 2018 and am not just talking about some unnamed staff, various people who back in the day were heavily involved in 2D Mario like Yusuke Amano who was previously NSMB2 Director and for latest titles involved in Splatoon 1 & 2 as one of the Directors he suddenly went missing from Splatoon 3, the same for Shigeuki Asuke who was previously Director on NSMB Wii, and then involved in Splatoon 1 & 2 and suddently he went missing from Splatoon 3 and these are just 2 names from top of my head, there was talk about it in First Party Thread.

2D Mario is perfect Holiday game for Switch, I don't think successor it coming this year and 2D Mario is title which don't need to be saved for next-gen hardware. The game will probably get annnounced next month, to have 4-5 months from reveal to release as almost every other 2D Mario game, it will probably (and hopefully) be a huge departure from NSMB games, which at this point it almost certain as they said couple years ago that new 2D Mario really needs to be something different. The staff between 2D Mario and Pikmin is different so there is no problem releasing these games closer to each other for EPD10. For example NSMBU shipped in November 2012 and Pikmin 3 was supposed to be out by March 2013 (5 months apart)
Oh wow, that's very interesting! Thanks for the detailed analysis.

To be honest, i was thinking about buying NSMBUD for a while, because it's the only NSMB game i haven't played yet and, and i'd like to play it. But i think i'll wait until the end of Summer, or maybe September to see if we hear anything about a new 2D Mario from Nintendo.

I definitely feel they somewhat dropped the ball on supporting this game. And yeah, finding good levels can definitely be like finding a needle in a haystack, so threads like this are a godsend in that respect.

I think I'll start on a new level today, playing all these other ones has got me inspired.
Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer that they ended support so quickly. I guess it's due to low sales? MM2 only sold about half of what NSMBUD sold if i remember correctly.

Level was solid. I've seen that creator around on Twitch recently. The map concept has been around for a bit especially when the Link powerup came about but it's normally good fun either way. There have been some unreal Link dungeon levels.

Saw you played a few of my levels already. Hope you had fun with em :)
Yeah, I've seen other map levels too, this one was just very well done imo.

Your levels are great so far! Maybe a bit frustrating sometimes but I'm not exactly a pro player so that may just be on me, haha.

Haven't played it in a while but at release I put a solid 60+ hours into it, one of my favorite Switch games. I keep meaning to play people's worlds, wish they kept the game going with more content but COVID probably kneecapped it. If people post cool levels here I'll definitely check them out.

Oh wow, that's very interesting! Thanks for the detailed analysis.

To be honest, i was thinking about buying NSMBUD for a while, because it's the only NSMB game i haven't played yet and, and i'd like to play it. But i think i'll wait until the end of Summer, or maybe September to see if we hear anything about a new 2D Mario from Nintendo.

Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer that they ended support so quickly. I guess it's due to low sales? MM2 only sold about half of what NSMBUD sold if i remember correctly.
I think it was a combination of low sales and COVID completely derailing their plans. A shame, but I'm still glad we got what we did.

Man with the introduction of the Frog Suit I was on this game so hard. I made some of my dream Frog levels and I still want to make some more. I just haven't gotten around to it in ages. This thread is hyping me up again.

I put about 800 hours in Super Mario Maker 2, and that might be understating things. Regardless, I really enjoyed my time with the game. Such an addicting game with an accessible creator to make some really cool things. I spent hundreds of hours making levels, playing community levels on ERA back in the day, and just loving my time with the game. I miss it. :)

This was actually the game that got me to buy a Switch! Played multiplayer versus religiously back in 2019. The grind to S rank is one of my best gaming experiences ever and I get so bummed out whenever this game gets brought up and all everyone has to say about the online is that it was laggy garbage. I mean, it was, but if you can look past one of every five matches being unplayable it's a special kind of fun that I haven't been able to replicate since (Splatoon 3 launch period came close though).

Unlike Maker Wii U I didn't really get too invested into the level creation aspect, but I got the itch to make a Mario World of 4, maybe 5 levels recently as I was replaying 3D World and Odyssey a couple of months ago. It's not done yet but I'm hoping to maybe have it done by the game's 4th anniversary.

Sadly i don't really have a lot of free time and energy to play Mario Maker yesterday & today, but i hope i can sink my teeth into some of the levels you people have made.

But alas i'm glad this thread has inspired people to hop back on Mario Maker! It's cool that the game isn't completely forgotten.

Found the two super worlds I was talking about!!

Super Mario Bros. 3: The Lost Levels (video)
ID# FDF-VT6-KDF

A super world intended to be faithful to my personal favorite entry ever, SMB3. A lot of people apparently love this collection.

Super Ororodawn World (video)
ID# 04G-MFS-29G

A super world designed to be very tricky and fun and balanced in the style of SMB1- appears really ultra high quality!

Still Active

MasterDS: 2Y6-3D8-8DF (really good creator, love his levels)

Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G (My favourite creator. Plainly this is the best project in the entire game imo)

Show some love to these creators. Definitely checknout the super worlds of the ones I highlighted and try to give active creators some play. They definitely get encouragement from seeing recent stuff supported.
I've not tried everyone but from those you highlighted i cannot manage to find those two.

I almost forgot how catchy the main theme is, of course it's based on Mario Maker 1 but both versions are great.

Haha yeah i have to agree. Whenever i boot up the game i stick around at the title screen level for a couple of minutes so i can hum along to the theme.

I don't play it as much as I did early on, but I love getting friends together to pick out random levels and worlds to try out in co-op. Sometimes you get solid classic levels, and sometimes we'd end up in a puzzle level that was clearly designed for one player and we have to get creative to figure out how to make it work with more, which invariably ends in myriad goofs.

You know, this game really makes you feel like Nintendo. I've been sitting on like 5 finished levels that are ready to be uploaded since forever.

Back
Top Bottom