• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Super Eyepatch Wolf - The bizarre world of fake video games

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her

Another banger from SEW. This one goes places, and I can’t believe some of the stuff that he found in this rabbit hole, it’s just so extremely cool, and it’s all being presented with a clear, analytical perspective,

one of the all-time greatest videos i've ever seen, holy shit. every single example here is masterclass level of worlds i need to exist

also i just kept thinking through that entire thing with Vermis at the end... man just how utterly insane would a dnd campaign based on this world be?

in a way it's already perfectly set-up for it with the manual, with all these information, all these world and story details, classes and everything. it's a brilliant jumping off point for such a powerful campaign.

Always enjoy his videos and always take something from them. It was always appealing to me, but his deep dive into it has made me decide to actually buy and experience Vermis for myself.

And also Apple Quest Monsters since that looks cute.

Last edited:
Always enjoy hos videos and always take something from them. It was always appealing to me, but his deep dive into it has made me decide to actually buy and experience Vermis for myself.

And also Apple Quest Monsters since that looks cute.

vermis being the love child of dark souls and silent hill felt so apt. what an unreal match

this dude's tone is a bit much for me but nice to hear stuff like vermis and apple quest monsters getting mentions in big boy youtube videos, maybe those folks'll make some money

Hmmm. I normally love Eye patch wolf videos, but this one didn't quite work for me, because the subject matter just doesn't seem as weird to me as it sounds like it does to him?

Like, when you show me weird Garfield art, I can agree that it's strange and want to learn more.

But this one starts with "why would someone make up an imaginary video game?" and I think the obvious answer is "because it's fun to do that" and then the video spends an hour working it's way to reaching that same obvious point. It just doesn't seem bizarre or crazy to me, did most people not imagine their own videogames when they were kids?

Agreed that the specific examples he showcases are cool though.

Hmmm. I normally love Eye patch wolf videos, but this one didn't quite work for me, because the subject matter just doesn't seem as weird to me as it sounds like it does to him?

Like, when you show me weird Garfield art, I can agree that it's strange and want to learn more.

But this one starts with "why would someone make up an imaginary video game?" and I think the obvious answer is "because it's fun to do that" and then the video spends an hour working it's way to reaching that same obvious point. It just doesn't seem bizarre or crazy to me, did most people not imagine their own videogames when they were kids?

I think he's trying to dive into why it's "fun" to make art with a very game context. If you are drawing a character in some environment, why add a videogame UI on top of it to make it seem like it comes from a videogame? Why can't the character and environment stand on their own? By adding the videogame UI on top, it changes the context and therefore, changes how we look at the art. SEW is going in depth into why that's interesting.

i thought it was a super fascinating exploration of what media can be in a new context.

especially the core concept of us as the audience 'filling in the gaps' of what this experience would be like and just how much you can build a world and its core elements inside your own mind. in a lot of ways it's more exciting than a real tangible game.

the idea that so many artists with brilliant ideas for games can put their ideas out there without needing years to learn and make games(or realistically us never even getting to hear of them outright) is such an exciting concept. like just how wide this new media form really goes and just how many people's imaginations this allows to thrive.

honestly i never had an appreciation for fake games at all and just thought of it as "man i just wish that was actually real", now i view it as a genuine artform.

Last edited:
using Molly Moon and splendidland as examples of “fake game devs” is a bit odd, as they’ve both been involved with proper game projects.

Molly is working on a big collab with Airdorf, Torple Dook, Trevor Henderson, and Jesse Cox.
while splendidland made the “Mega Man Sprite Game”, which is based off a parody Tumblr blog. alongside designing various characters in Deltarune.

and ending the video with Vermis is certainly a choice. even watching it at 2x speed was a draining experience just from how depressing the setting is. and felt like it was never going to end.
by the time it’s finally over and he’s giving his closing thoughts, it’s difficult to focus on them after all of that.

it really should have been pushed to the beginning or middle of the video with something lighter at the end, even the other horror “games” shown aren’t anywhere near as tiring.

using Molly Moon and splendidland as examples of “fake game devs” is a bit odd, as they’ve both been involved with proper game projects.

Molly is working on a big collab with Airdorf, Torple Dook, Trevor Henderson, and Jesse Cox.
while splendidland made the “Mega Man Sprite Game”, which is based off a parody Tumblr blog. alongside designing various characters in Deltarune.

and ending the video with Vermis is certainly a choice. even watching it at 2x speed was a draining experience just from how depressing the setting is. and felt like it was never going to end.
by the time it’s finally over and he’s giving his closing thoughts, it’s difficult to focus on them after all of that.

it really should have been pushed to the beginning or middle of the video with something lighter at the end, even the other horror “games” shown aren’t anywhere near as tiring.

the molly project is dead and never got past the demo. it actually says so on the link you posted too.

though im not sure why talking about people involved in fake game media that are also involved in real games would be odd. both can exist.

also vermis was an incredible ender

Yeah, having finished the video I have to say the last segment was too long. I was sadly not engrossed by this world like he was, so I was kind of just politely listening and waiting for that last reveal he teased twice. Unfortunately that only gave me a feeling of "wait, that's it?", your enjoyment of this segment will depend on how receptive you are to this kind of bleak fiction.

The highlight of the video was Valle verde for me, it's just really well made.

i think this video was the breaking point to me for Eypatchwolfs scripted videos, the low and slow way of talking when he trying to be serious or create/ talking a sad or depressing scenario was cool the first time but he does it like ten time every video now and I;m sick of it and just takes me out of the video

Also not a hit for me.

I neither find it so weird, nor that impressive.
It can, as all art, do wonders in the right hands, but it mostly feels like €i have a great concept for a phantasy novel!". The hard part (and the one that brings it all together to something bigger then the sum of it's parts) is missing.
(That does not mean that individual parts can't be great artistic work).

Bleak is finely but it's easy to write bleak stuff. Putting it in a context that it doesn't just seem bleak for bleakness sake, not that easy, and that's also why so often that stuff doesn't resonate for me.

In regards to his writing: that's the least... Narratively interesting in a long while. It felt like a lot of individual segments, unlike prior efforts that flow the parts better into each other and go somewhere.

One the one hand I'm fine that his overall output reduced, and it's clear that more effort goes to his second channel nowadays (streaming takes time and effort). But this one probably would have worked better for me as a series of 4-5 shorter videos. Maybe going a step back in length and scope would help.

dude should just make more “things I like” videos and cut the editorializing if he doesn’t have anything to say other than ‘thing good’

This video definitely felt like a broad array of things SEW likes loosely connected to a shared theme. It could have spent more time cooking or a different format.
I also think he contradicts himself a little. He says at one point that art isn't a puzzle to be understood it's what ever you feel when you experience a work but he does a lot of his video treating the topics like puzzles and mixes them in with what he feels. I think he could just spend more time talking about that experience but I don't know if that's youtube algorithm friendly.

Back
Top Bottom