• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Summer Games Fest 2024 Returns June 7th [2 pm PDT, 5 pm EDT, 9 pm GMT]

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
GIjmpGWXwAAotJP

A little later in the day this year. Usually it is around lunch time in America.

C'mon new Forza Horizon at an XBOX event that totally won't be related to Summer Games Fest but Geoff will claim it as his own anyway.

Took Geoff until 15 hours prior to this announcement to even acknowledge the layoffs this year, and even then without addressing the reasons behind them.

Far from me to tell people what to do; if you don't feel you have much to look forward to at this or any event of his, don't even give it the views by leaving the stream on in the background. Catch the highlights from separate news sources later. Keighley does not deserve to claim the face of the industry when he toes company lines over the creators he supposedly loves. The last time he showed any kind of spine was because Konami prevented his best bud from attending TGA 2015 in person.

No thanks. I don't watch Keighley events anymore. Geoff is a cruddy person I do not want to support.

Any announcements from his shows will be all over the internet within seconds, I'll get any info that way.

Last SGF was pretty good but I do have a sour taste in my mouth in regards to Keighley events after the disrespectful TGA show last year.

Even besides the things mentioned itt it astounds me how the biggest game shows are now done by a person who is completely lacking any charisma and personality. Say what you will about E3 presenters at least they were entertaining even if really weird at times. Evety time I watch one of his events it's like an infomertial, the man doesn't seem passionate about anything.

Eh, Iā€™ll catch the high lites on YouTube. That being said, i think as long as you have the right expectations (mostly indie, and double a game reveals, lots of cg recruiting ads) than it can be an alright time. Given how long these games take to make nowadays, I think the days of mega ton summer announcements are largely over, save for a small handful of stuff.

I'll catch the announcements after the fact, had more than my fill of Doritos Pope

Iā€™ll probably give it a watch just in case if thereā€™s something I might get excited for, majority of his shows are usually very boring to me but most of his shows have that one announcement that is something I can look forward to.

2023's was actually really good so hopefully this keeps up.

Geoff's shows are never perfect, like any gaming showcase, but he does always listen to feedback which is nice.

Probably the next place for a MH Wilds reveal.

Alright, I'm game.

GNtcnqPWcAIrcd7

As per usual, Nintendo skips another Keighley event. However, I must say I'm surprised at the lack of Square Enix. Guess the next look at KH4 will be at TGS or TGA.

Yeah, about what I'd expect.

Mainly will be here for the next update for Monster Hunter Wilds, but if Capcom has some other goodies under wraps, by all means!

Yeah, about what I'd expect.

Mainly will be here for the next update for Monster Hunter Wilds, but if Capcom has some other goodies under wraps, by all means!
they hinted that Wilds would be its own major showcase, so it's more possible that it's the next RE or pragmata

i don't blame them tbh. for being the biggest game console out there by a wide margin it's crazy how little screen time is dedicated to switch games in keighley's shows.

To give Keighley the benefit here, it's not like Nintendo has made an effort whatsoever to maintain a presence on shows by third parties (sans E3)

Dang, hope Square still has something in June. I wanna see KH4.

Same, recently beat Re:Mind and now I'm unbelievably hyped

I don't think its directed towards Keighley. Nintendo also ignores Tokyo game show for example.

Nintendo has just taken a strategic decision that they only promote their coming games, consoles etc through their own channels like Nintendo directs. They don't want to share mindshare with other companies because chances are that sometimes other companies will steal all the headlines from what Nintendo is presenting, while a Nintendo direct puts all the spotlight on Nintendo and their games only.

Nintendo probably hated E3 and is happy that its gone and that they no longer have to share events with Sony, Microsoft and all other video game publishers.

they hinted that Wilds would be its own major showcase, so it's more possible that it's the next RE or pragmata
Wilds debuted at the Keighleys, last year. So, that only inclines me to believe when they said "more news in the summer", Capcom really meant they were going to continue utilizing Doritos Pope's services to promote MH Wilds.

Which is fine. It just likely means that other sizable announcements, such as Resident Evil and more Street Fighter updates, will pop up in other places. Like say, the inevitable Sony event for the former, and EVO in July for the latter.

you ever get the feeling that Nintendo doesn't like keighley? not that I blame them
The sense I get is that Reggie was the main one pushing for most of their involvement with stuff like announcing Smash DLC at the game awards, and current leadership feels (rightfully imo) that they just don't need Keighley anywhere near as badly as Keighley wants them

Like, they're not gonna totally burn that bridge because sometimes he's useful for some random thing like Bayonetta Origins or Fire Emblem DLC if the timing works out, and he'll take it because hey, it means he gets to announce something from Nintendo at one of his shows

But by and large they know they can get just as many if not more eyeballs on a separate thing they have full control over as they could get by giving something to Keighley and a) sharing the stage with other big gaming news and b) trusting he doesn't very publicly fumble things for them (remember how some kid went on stage with the From team and started talking about Bill Clinton, and then at the very next Keighley show someone else went on stage to demand GTA6 news? I can see how Nintendo would look at that and think "why would we trust this guy with anything important?")

I imagine if they never created Nintendo Directs they would be there in force. Even after doing E3 Directs they had a long history working with the ESA since the 90s iirc.

Anyway some interesting partners popping up!

I only remember this show because they announced that Metal Slug tactics game there years ago and I was excited about playing it soon, fun times.

I hope to see Earthblade there. The game is expected to release this year, but we haven't seen it in a while.

Would be cool to see more of some of the games from the Sega Power Surge teaser, I'd imagine Shinobi at least would be ready for a bit more footage, as it's the only game Sega social media posted standalone footage of so far. Plus they just announced that Banana Rumble would be getting a Shinobi costume, so there's that.
More of Banana Rumble or Shadow Generations would be cool too.

I'd imagine Metal Slug Tactics would be the SNK thing they show here, Tee Lopes teased something about it a couple of days ago. More City of the Wolves is also likely.

I only remember this show because they announced that Metal Slug tactics game there years ago and I was excited about playing it soon, fun times.

I hope to see Earthblade there. The game is expected to release this year, but we haven't seen it in a while.
They delayed the game:
I know, I know, this update is long overdue. We appreciate your patience as we try our best to make this video game that appears to be stubbornly determined to not get made. More on the process in the following paragraphs, but first we need to face the music: this game ain't coming out in 2024. We had hoped to be announcing a firm release date around now, but it just isn't in the cards. We know that this will be disappointing for a lot of you and we're sorry for that. Maybe this was predictable, but still it always sucks when the haters are right.

They delayed the game:

I know, I know, this update is long overdue. We appreciate your patience as we try our best to make this video game that appears to be stubbornly determined to not get made. More on the process in the following paragraphs, but first we need to face the music: this game ain't coming out in 2024. We had hoped to be announcing a firm release date around now, but it just isn't in the cards. We know that this will be disappointing for a lot of you and we're sorry for that. Maybe this was predictable, but still it always sucks when the haters are right.

Aww that's a shame. I can wait as long as they need, but it's sad to hear they're having problems with the development and in their personal lives. I hope everything goes okay!

Nintendo shows up at TGA all the time, even post Reggie. They just don't really go to SGF, probably because they have their own show around the same time and like to do their own thing.

Idk why the internet makes up this very strange narrative about Geoff as a person just because of the way he (checks notes) runs a large video game commercial. Like yeah he can make improvements (and usually does every year) but I swear people talk about the man like he's Satan sometimes lmao.

Back
Top Bottom