• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Summer Games Done Quick |ST| Live and In-person!

Nanashrew

The Sandshrew
Pronouns
He/Him
banner_bigsummer2023v7e0x.png
Welcome to the Summer Games Done Quick 2023 thread! Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) is a long-running charity event where the speedrunning community comes together to raise money for the Doctors Without Borders. SGDQ 2023 will be running 24/7 from May 28th to June 4th, livestreamed on Twitch.TV, featuring many speedrunners from all over the world running many of your favourite games. Viewers are invited to donate in order to unlock bonus games and events, or to enter in to raffles to win cool prizes. Games Done Quick has raised over 28 Million US Dollars for charity since its inception, making it the largest fundraising event for Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders!
Want up to date info on Games Done Quick events!? Check out Games Done Quick on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, and the Games Done Quick official website!

Doctors Without Borders is an international organization devoted to distributing impartial, accountable, and ethical medical aid where it’s needed most. Founded in 1968 by a group of young doctors seeking to help victims of war and natural disasters, Doctors Without Borders is a fantastic humanitarian organization, worthy of your donations. Find out more about Doctors Without Borders’ cause, history, and programs here: DoctorsWithoutBorders.ORG
Games Done Quick events are partnered with Twitch.TV! You can find all their events (including AGDQ, SGDQ, GDQX, Frame Fatales, GDQ Hotfix, and more!) on their official Twitch page:
Fear not! With Summer Games Done Quick running 24 hours a day, all week long, you’re bound to miss some great runs. Fortunately, it’s easy to find VODs on both Twitch and YouTube. /r/Speedrun has an updated VOD thread with timestamps for Twitch VODs, and GDQ gradually uploads runs to their YouTube channel. Even if you just missed the beginning of a run and want to rewind a short amount of time, Twitch automatically uploads a VOD of streams even if they’re still live! You can find the current stream in the “Recent Broadcasts” header under Videos on the Games Done Quick Twitch page.
Games Done Quick Twitch VODs: twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/videos
Games Done Quick YouTube VODs: https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

All events, complete with Game, Runner, Runtime, and Donation reader in a handy format which automatically converts to your local time zone! Plan which days to skip out on work or class, or the optimal time to take a “bathroom break.” Keep in mind that the schedule will shift over time as runs finish under- or over-estimate, and additional bonus events are added.

banner_donationjrjmq.png
Want to donate!? There are multiple ways to contribute! Donations can be made directly to MSF via Games Done Quick’s portal. Alternatively, you can buy cool limited time T-Shirt, Buttons, and Banners from The Yetee, an official partner of Games Done Quick. All profits from this merch is donated to MSF via GDQ!
Want to see how high the donation total has gotten? Maybe you want to see the upcoming incentives or prizes? Games Done Quick provides a simple donation tracker!

banner_question_finalqlkr4.png
Q: I really love Summer Games Done Quick, but Twitch chat is awful! Where can I go to discuss the marathon free of spam, bigotry, and bad memes!?
A: We have a long running community which originally started as a private Twitch chat, and has since moved to Discord! Feel free to join us, just please read #info and familiarize yourself with the rules!​

Q: WHAT THE HECK!? THEY’RE USING GLITCHES!
A: Speedrunning is the process of beating a game as fast as humanly possible! This includes the use of glitches. The number of glitches used varies by game, of course, and there are a variety of categories which each utilize different strategies. The schedule entry between the time slot and the system the game is being run on shows which category will be featured at SGDQ, including “any%”, which is beating the game as fast as possible without restrictions, and “glitchless” or “no major glitches” categories which disallow some or all glitches.​

Q: Dang this is so cool! How can I watch more speedruns!?
A: The Games Done Quick Twitch channel hosts an increasingly varied number of events all year around. Other marathons (including European Speedrun Assembly, and a number of tournaments and community marathons) are regularly hosted all over Twitch. Simply searching for speedruns on Youtube, or glancing at the SpeedRuns.com leader boards will give you a host of awesome runs to watch.​

Last edited:
I feel like the lineup of games gets worse every year, but I must admit I’m very excited to see Zoast closing out the marathon again for the first time in like 7 years.

Zoast is, in my opinion, the greatest video game speedrunner in history.

As always I'm looking forward to whatever black magic fuckery TASBot is getting up to.

Damn, BOTW blindfolded then the Mario Maker relay back to back but it's very early Monday morning for me. Will catch up with a bunch of these though, I love putting on speedruns while I do mindless busywork.

This really snuck up on me! Had no idea it was next week already. Have to check out the schedule and plan for what to watch live.

Looking forward to it! I've been consistently checking out bits of content from GDQ since their last big event. I like the intimacy and straightforwardness of the stuff that hasn't been in person, it feels more like a podcast. But I'm cautiously optimistic to watch some of the stuff with a crowd too.

Sadly this will be one of the first GDQ's I just won't be able to much of but I'll try and catch what I can.

This really snuck up on me! Had no idea it was next week already. Have to check out the schedule and plan for what to watch live.
It's at an earlier date this year isn't it?

I'm glad that we're back to having shows in-person now. GDQ just isn't the same without a live audience.

Sadly this will be one of the first GDQ's I just won't be able to much of but I'll try and catch what I can.

It's at an earlier date this year isn't it?
Yeah this is the earliest it’s been since I started watching (which has been ten years for me I think…wow). Usually it starts in late June.

Looking forward to it! I've been consistently checking out bits of content from GDQ since their last big event. I like the intimacy and straightforwardness of the stuff that hasn't been in person, it feels more like a podcast. But I'm cautiously optimistic to watch some of the stuff with a crowd too.
It’s a surprisingly similar experience, main difference is the cheering for big donations and moments.

I knew it was early this year but it still managed to sneak up on me. I'm sure I saw one of the people involved (maybe Keizaron?) say it was just how the hotel contract shook out.

Got a four day weekend thanks to a bank holiday and a special day off so I'll be able to spend a couple days just consuming!

Ah damn, gonna miss the entire thing due to being out of the country and without internet during that time. Ah well, gonna watch the VODs later

Last edited:
Flying out tomorrow!! Can't wait to be there and see everyone!

Y'all do NOT want to miss the Bugnsax run happening on Sunday! It's the second run of the event with two friends of mine and there's some cool stuff that's going to happen there!!

I love these events and I love that they're back in-person--hopefully for good now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them break that $3.5 million mark this time.

MXQ8yZp.png

I'm local to the area so I might drive over but man do I hate parking in downtown Minneapolis lol. Just crushes me that they moved away from the venue they've used for the last few years. Every time they go downtown it's just a giant pain in the ass and frustrating for everyone with parking issues, safety issues after dark (do NOT walk around alone) and especially with Memorial Day you'll be hard pressed to find stuff open for food options on Monday. It was just better when you had a DQ, some chain restaurants and a great local pizza place within walking distance and the venue was right on 494 and 100 so you had easy driving access in every direction.

Three day weekend means more time to watch this (or play Zelda)

The lineup is pretty stacked with Switch games especially towards the end of the week, many of them recent released. Metroid Prime Remaster, Fire Emblem Engage, Pokemon S/V, Mario Maker 2, and blind folded Breath of the Wild.

Enjoyed watching both the Minish Cap and Ring Fit Adventure speedruns today. I really need to sit down and do a Minish Cap replay sometime, I’ve only beaten it once. I’ve never actually seen extended Ring Fit gameplay so that was neat to see too.

I caught Mega Man Maker and Skate 2.

Mega Man Maker was kind of a showcase with 10 retro-inspired levels curated for GDQ. It was cool to see games like Frogger and Metroid through a Mega Man lens.

SupaDupaScared's Skate 2 run was really chill. It felt like a continuation of the Skate run from this winter. A lot of moments are timed and need a score to reach a certain point but not too high, so there's plenty of downtime to wipeout on purpose lol.

I'm hoping to catch either Crisis Core or Peggle Deluxe this afternoon!

Stepmania was wild. Definitely recommend checking out the team play part specifically about 30 mins in when the VOD drops if you missed out!

Any must sees from the first or second day? i couldn't jump in until about the sly cooper run earlier today.
I really liked the A Link Between Worlds run and Stepmania showcase from today. I’d give LBW the edge over Minish Cap from yesterday, though both were fun. If you want a fun short one, Ring Fit Adventure was good fun. Runner looked like they were dying though for better and for worse lol.

I really liked the A Link Between Worlds run and Stepmania showcase from today. I’d give LBW the edge over Minish Cap from yesterday, though both were fun. If you want a fun short one, Ring Fit Adventure was good fun. Runner looked like they were dying though for better and for worse lol.

Thanks! I went back to watch ring fit and it was a fun and different kind of run to catch. Interesting to see how you set up a game like that and make it an even playing field. I also caught LBW live, and it was great! Will hopefully go back and catch Minish Cap during some down time.

I notice that they aren't posting VODs right to their channel as quick this time. Maybe because they're just busier with an in-person event? I'm sure it'll show up eventually.

Thanks! I went back to watch ring fit and it was a fun and different kind of run to catch. Interesting to see how you set up a game like that and make it an even playing field. I also caught LBW live, and it was great! Will hopefully go back and catch Minish Cap during some down time.

I notice that they aren't posting VODs right to their channel as quick this time. Maybe because they're just busier with an in-person event? I'm sure it'll show up eventually.
Yeah usually the first day or two they are a bit slow on it, once they get going properly though they usually get a good rhythm going and it’s only like a day wait for the VODs. I definitely want to catch the CrossCode and Ender Lillies runs I missed after the marathon.

It's honestly so nice knowing I can always put this on for some weird niche company. There have been some hosts I feel should host late night radio lol.

Just caught the end of a Touhou speedrun - so chaotic and terrifying-looking. Really cool looking puzzle game earlier too that I'd never heard of called Dharma Doujo.

My god, that Touhou run... Probably the most stressed I've ever been watching a speedrun

Watched some good runs earlier today. The Majora’s Mask randomizer was fun since Spike Vegeta always brings infectious energy and exciting donations. I learned during it apparently the final Majora battle pairs amusingly well with Sonic 06’s theme song His World lol. Mario Odyssey was a great time too. My favorite run was definitely Paper Mario as they had some wild skips throughout.

This pokemon run is already interesting, just based on how they split it into different categories for single routes.

This has been an awesome end to the marathon. The Super Mario Maker 2 competition was amazing as always and seeing them raise $100,000 in like ten minutes was incredible. The ongoing Breath of Wild blindfolded run has been so cool to see.

I'm so glad they made it! I went to bed at the end of Eldin Ring, thinking there was no way they'd make it. Happy to get to watch those later today. And I'm up just in time for Super Metroid!

Awesome event! The final Mario runs were incredible and I enjoyed the more low key, but still cool finale. Looking forward to AGDQ next January.

I only got to be there for the last day and only for a few hours but it was really fun to see some friends. The arcade there, however, was unbelievably good. Minnesota has nothing particularly good for arcades so this event having a very new Pop'n Music machine, 3 Chunithm, 3 Jubeat, a Theatrhtyhm, Pump It Up 2017, StepmaniaX, DDR Extreme, Project Diva, Dance Maniax, Wacca, 2 Maimai, 3 Sound Voltex, Groove Coaster, linked F-Zero AX, linked Initial D, Monkey Ball, classic fighting games, a bunch of SNK and Konami classics, it was worth the price of admission alone for me.

I just REALLY hope they move out of downtown back to something easier to park at. I understand they want food options that are walkable for attendees but the restaurants there are all pretty expensive and parking is like $25/day and that really adds up fast.

But hey, you know the event's great when my only complaint has to do with location and parking.

I hope you guys enjoyed!! The arcade was LIT as hell, the people were great, runs went well....all in all a lovely time.

Glad Bubzia got to show his stuff off! Great and talented guy!

Back
Top Bottom