• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Succession Season 4 |ST| Sunday Nights at 9pm EST on HBO/ HBO Max

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
succession-ka-1920_0.jpg

Final Season
10 episodes

The Story So Far:
All roads lead out from Logan Roy, king of the toxic empire known as Waystar Royco. Building the company with his own two hands and a litany of mysterious scars on his back, Logan sired four children along the way: the aforementioned Kendall, Roman and Shiv, as well as eldest son Connor (Alan Ruck) from his first marriage. The various siblings have different interests: Kendall shadows his father’s career with an eye on eventually succeeding Logan as Waystar CEO, Shiv lives outside the company as a political operator (an interest Connor eventually takes on in his own right as well), and Roman does … stuff? (With no disrespect intended toward his movie Doctor Honk, about the man who talks to cars.)

On his 80th birthday, Logan suffers a serious health crisis that forces quick action around the company. Kendall, Rome and Shiv immediately clash over their competing interests in Waystar, and their not-so-secret desires to win the coveted CEO title. After all, their cruel father knows no other form of love than victory, or else, “fuck off.” Logan eventually recovers, though for how long remains a major point of concern for everyone around him. His children stumble badly underneath his fading shadow: Kendall tries and fails to stage a coup against Logan, leading to a drug relapse, a waiter’s death overseas, and still more coups; Shiv becomes the next likely successor, but missteps due to a variety of factors including perceived overeagerness and plain-as-day misogyny; and Roman almost earns his father’s crown, but blunders his shot by sending Logan an accidental dick pic during a critical business meeting. (Meanwhile, Connor runs for President of the United States of America. Don’t laugh! He’s polling at almost one percent!)

As season three reaches its conclusion, Waystar is in dire straits, for so many reasons: Logan’s failing health, Kendall’s public crusades against his father, and a high-profile scandal involving Waystar covering up illegal behavior in its cruise division, just to name a few. In order to avoid colliding with the iceberg, Logan and team entertain acquiring a tech giant called GoJo, run by a brilliant but reckless Swedish innovator named Lukas Matsson (played by Alexander Skarsgård, coming into the show with big Elon Musk energy). Turns out, Matsson likes to play with his food just as much as Logan does. Matsson first indicates he wants a merger of equals between Waystar and GoJo. Then he makes his true intent known: Matsson wants to buy Waystar, wresting the family company away from the Roys, albeit for a pretty penny. For a man who has lost all faith in his children (in large part thanks to his own failures as a parent), Logan sees Matsson’s proposal as the right lifeboat at the right time, and pushes all in.

Frosted out of the dealmaking, Roman and Shiv team together with their estranged brother Kendall, healing their various rifts if only for one temporary goal: stop dad from surrendering their birthright. The Roy siblings have the right to vote against changes in company control as a supermajority, thanks to a clause in their mother Caroline’s (Harriet Walter) divorce settlement. But that clause no longer exists, thanks to Caroline reopening her divorce settlement with Logan, on her own dreamy Tuscan wedding night with new husband Peter “The Seat Sniffer” Munion (Pip Torrens). Logan derides his children for trying and failing at their one shot, mocking them, their easy life, and their complete unreadiness for the top job. How was he able to sniff out their plot in advance? It’s all thanks to another major character as yet unmentioned: Shiv’s husband Tom (Matthew Macfadyen), head of Waystar’s news division ATN. After spending three seasons feeling mistreated by Shiv and nearly winding up in prison due to the cruise scandal, Tom decides to expose Shiv’s plot to Logan to curry favor with the top dog. The season ends with Waystar’s sale to GoJo all but inevitable, the Roy siblings defeated, and Shiv especially crushed in the wake of her husband’s betrayal.

I just started/caught up with this show over the past couple weeks. Pretty excited to see where it goes in this last season.

Didn't know this was the final season. Looking forward to it a lot.

I wrote up some of my thoughts about watching the show in general a couple weeks ago. Figured I’d share it here too.
I’ve been watching Succession. It’s great stuff but it’s kind of a bittersweet experience for me because it was a show my grandma wanted to watch with me, but we never got the chance to before she passed away nearly 3 years ago. Watching it makes me really wish I could talk to her about it.

Once I finish season 2, it’ll be only episodes she never got to see. I’m trying to think of it as letting her watch the new episodes with me, because even though she’s no longer alive, she’s still a part of me.

Back
Top Bottom