• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Strange question: is your all time favorite game from your all time favorite series?

Is your all time favorite game from your all time favorite series?

• Total voters

Mekanos

300 Years Of Gyudon
Pronouns
he/they
It's a cliche answer but I would probably say the Mario series is my all time favorite. Between the multiple genres and cavalcade of quality games, I don't think any franchise has brought me as much joy and entertainment as Mario. It's the reason I got into video games at all.

Yet, I don't think I'd have a single Mario game in my top 5. Instead, I'd say my all time favorite game is probably Metal Gear Solid. But the overall Mario series still feels like my #1 despite that.

Is this the case for others?

Nope, my favorite game is Metroid Prime but my overall favorite series is Monster Hunter. I don't think Metroid is even in my top 3 favorite franchises and I for the most part really like all of the games with some exceptions.

Nah. Wario Land/Ware is my favorite series ever but my all time game is Final Fantasy VI. A Wario game however is in my top 10: Wario Land 3.

Nah. Wario Land/Ware is my favorite series ever but my all time game is Final Fantasy VI. A Wario game however is in my top 10: Wario Land 3.
yeah, I'd have 3D World + Bowser's Fury in my top 10. Wario Land 3 is also fantastic and criminally underrated, one of my favorite 2D platformers.

Nope. Banjo Kazooie is not a Zelda game.
I have Banjo-Kazooie in my top 3!

The same is true for me. I don't have a single favorite game, but none of my top 10ish are in my favorite series.

I think the reason is kinda obvious: fandom lowers your standards. Comfort food is never going to be your most ecstatic dining experience, but that's OK! Thats how fandom feels to me, anyway.

Nope. My favorite series is Final Fantasy but my favorite video game is Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies.

TTYD is probably my favorite game, but the Paper Mario series is definitely not my favorite series. Not really sure where Paper Mario ranks for me as a series, but it's definitely not my favorite. I don't really know if I feel strongly about having a favorite series, anyway.

Time for a combo breaker - not only is Super Mario my favorite game franchise, it also has most of my favorite games of all time in it. My common refrain is that Super Mario World is my favorite game, though honestly, games like Super Mario Odyssey or 3D World (+ Bowser's Fury in particular) aren't far off, and in some moments it might eclipse it. The Super Mario franchise has such a strong track record that it's not a shock that it hits a top list for me.

The same is true for me. I don't have a single favorite game, but none of my top 10ish are in my favorite series.

I think the reason is kinda obvious: fandom lowers your standards. Comfort food is never going to be your most ecstatic dining experience, but that's OK! Thats how fandom feels to me, anyway.
Yeah, I think there's some truth in this; I love Mario games, but I could probably say the top 3-5 Mario games on my list are all so good and close in quality that it's mostly semantics. Whereas a game like Metal Gear Solid delivers a very specific experience that resonated in a way that nothing else did (even other MGS games). Or Persona 5 Royal which I'm playing now; I've never even played all the Persona games, but the emotions and feelings I get from P5R are way sharper and more distinct than another bing bing wahoo games (and I love my bing bing wahoo games!).

Also, I should add a poll

I am the opposite. Final Fantasy is one of my favorite franchises of all time, but none of the games make it into my Top 10 favorites.

Heck, I doubt more than two would make it into my Top 20 if I thought it all out.

My favorite game is Ghost Trick and that isn't even part of a series to begin with.

Last edited:
Warcraft 3 is my favorite game of all time, and it's so far ahead of every other game that I think I take 1 Warcraft 3 over any series.

but if that's considered cheating.. then no, my favorite game is not from my favorite series ;P

Yes, my favourite series is the Legend of Zelda and my favourite game ever is Majora's Mask.

My overall top 3 is:
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Dragon Quest V

Yeah, Ocarina of Time is pretty much unassailable in its position of my my mental “best game ever”, and Zelda is my favorite series. But Mother 3 and Xenoblade 2 are very, very close.

Yes it is, but that is because what USED to be my favorite series made it a personal point of pride to be as shit as possible for as long as possible until I was forced to finally kick it down a notch or two (meanwhile, the series that is now my favorite series and which was always in close contention to be my favorite series underwent a renaissance and then displayed the peak of its powers).

I’m talking about Zelda and Pokémon in case that wasn’t clear

Nah. My favorite game ever is either BotW or TotK, but Zelda as a whole is a very up-and-down series for me. I absolutely love a decent amount of Zelda games, but there's enough of them I couldn't even be bothered to finish (and I mean like, core main entries, not spinoffs) that I'd have a hard time saying it's my favorite series overall.

It happens to be, yes (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom).

Metroid/Xeno are my favorite franchises, my favorite game is metroid prime 2 so yes. However if Metroid Prime 4 fails to deliver on meaningful exploration like every metroid game released after prime 2, I'm going to just say xeno is my favorite.

Pikmin 2 is a very weak Xenoblade game. No wacko experiments from narcissistic scientists, only space explorers with relatively stable families and incomes.

No, because Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube and Wii remains at the top after displacing A Link to the Past. Twilight Princess was the closest to reclaiming the spot.

my top three would be galaxy 2, prime 1, and Majora's Mask also my favorite 3 Nintendo franchises are Zelda, Mario and Metroid

It's a strange case for me.
My favourite game ever is The world ends with you and the sequel is not that far behind but I don't know if I could even consider it a series since it's only 2 games and it's pretty much dead and never coming back after Neo twewy flop.
If I had to choose a favourite series it would be either kirby or fire emblem (dk usually completed the top 3 but after 10 years of nothing I just have to bump it down and swap it with 3d mario) but my favourite games of that series would struggle to fit in my top 10.
I love those series as a whole, I love talking about them with other people, that's what why I consider them my favourites.
So I guess no, my favourite series doesn't contain my favourite game.

Nope! For a long time my favorite game was Breath of the Wild (which has probably been overtaken by Tears of the Kingdom), but my favorite series is Xenoblade.

It's not a strange question at all. I love dissecting people tastes and getting to know what they like.

No, my favorite game is not from my favorite series. My favorite game is Resident Evil Remake, and I consider it the game that is closest to perfection out of all the ones I've played. And not in a "this is objectively good because it has the last amount of flaws" kind of way, more like I'm absolutely enamored with every design decision. Resident Evil is definitely one of my favorite series nowadays, but I'm a new fan (finished the first Remake in late 2020, played the other games after), and I wouldn't say its my favorite series. Its got some things that don't always jive with me.

My favorite game of all time for a long time (about a few years) was Metroid Prime though, and that is probably my favorite series of all time. Funnily enough, think that has now also been dethroned for 2nd best game of all time this year thanks to REmake 4 😜

Hmm, it's kind of hard to say. My #1 favourite is Paper Mario, but my favourite series overall is probably Souls and the various other FROMSoft Souls-likes (so I'm counting stuff like Bloodborne and Elden Ring as being part of the same pantheon even though they're not actually the same series).

Mario is damn close though, I'd probably flip-flop between the two depending on my mood. I do have a Paper Mario tattoo, and not a Dark Souls one (yet) so I guess Mario may win by default for now.

Yup. Metroid is my favorite series of all time and Super Metroid/Metroid Prime dominated my favorite. Then Metroid Dread came out and that knocked both games off the pedestal, and I did some more replays and now put Prime 2 above Prime 1 (although I still like Dread the most).

Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time, but I’m not sure I’d consider Mario my favorite game franchise per se even if I adore so many of his mainline games and spinoffs. I’m actually not sure what my favorite series is, but stuff like Trails, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Xenoblade, BlazBlue, Kingdom Hearts, and Smash Bros all sort of spring to mind for me first. I think in Mario’s case the slowing down of big releases and the period where it got a little too standardized / safe caused it to drop in my eyes off my favorite series group, but yeah I’d say it is one step down from the top. Hopefully they start turning that around. Wonder looks wonderful so yeah don’t disappear again, let the spinoffs go a bit more wild again, and bring back the original RPGs.

I got a weird answer for ya and I'm not joking. I actually don't have an all time favorite. I have games I would definitely say are top 10 material but I've just never stopped and ranked them and don't really want to.

For me it is. SMT III: Nocturne is my favourite game and Shin Megami Tensei can be regarded as my most favourite series. It's rivalled by Dragon Quest and the Mario-series though.

No. My favourite game is PSO1, Classic Phantasy Star is good, but not my favourite series. What came after PSO1 has mostly been bad. The PSU games are middling with the one exception of Phantasy Star Portable 2, PSO2 was ok but NGS is awful.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is my favourite, but Xenoblade is not my favourite series. (I like all of the games though!)

No, my favourite series is the 3D Marios (by a small margin), my favourite games are Metroid Prime and Celeste.

I actually really like this question. My favorite top three games of all-time are Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Now it’s really hard for me to choose one over the other, so I guess the answer I can provide to your question is yes and no. Because Zelda is my favorite franchise of all-time, so with Ocarina in my top three, it’s certainly fits within the confines of your question, even if its not particularly #1 on some days.

No. My favorite game ever that will probably never be surpassed is Outer Wilds while Zelda is my favorite series.

Quoted by: Ab

Back
Top Bottom