• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Steam Deck OLED announced (90 Hz HDR display, better battery, WiFi 6E, $549 for 512 GB, $649 for 1 TB)

Oh that looks gorgeous! Honestly, if it wasn’t for the Switch 2 coming out next year, I’d snag this for sure for my ideal emulation + indie + “the occasional game that’s better on PC” gaming machine

the note about "preliminary support for open-source BIOS and EC firmware" is honestly the most shocking part of this to me. they've already been incredibly active in allowing modifications to basically every part of the system. but i'm pretty sure most motherboards out there generally don't accept custom BIOS. so seeing even that get opened up is a huge deal. (i believe they've also stated this feature would get retrofitted onto all previous models as well.)

Ah, fiddlesticks. I love orange highlights.

I must stay strong 💪 ... and by that I mean look into selling my current 256 GB model because OLED!

"It will make for the best possible mobile Vampire Survivors experience", this is what is shamefully in the back of my head right now.

Preloaded my Steam Wallet, gonna gun for an LE tomorrow... Here's hoping!

Been teetering on getting a Steam Deck for well over a year now, and just bit the bullet on a 512gb OLED. I made a Steam account specifically for this purchase actually, since I’ve never had a PC that could sensibly run any games.

I travel for work 10 months out of the year, and the Switch has been doing me really good, but I’ve started to really feel the pain of missing out on big titles that are never going to make it to the Switch. I played Spider-Man on my managers Steam Deck a bit last year (he has the older version, of course) and it’s been on my mind ever since to get one. I finally did it, and I’m SO excited. I would like to build a proper PC one day when I’ve retired from my current line of work, but I think this will do me well for the time being.

So, I have ended up ordering one of these, will compliment my Switch OLED well with the games that don’t come to Switch.

Out of interest, those who own one, is there anything I should look to do first when setting up the Deck? Setting tweaks or anything.

So, I have ended up ordering one of these, will compliment my Switch OLED well with the games that don’t come to Switch.

Out of interest, those who own one, is there anything I should look to do first when setting up the Deck? Setting tweaks or anything.
The out of the box experience is pretty close to consoles now, so you shouldn't have to mess around with anything if you don't mean / want to.

What I'd recommend either way, though, is giving this a go:

Great mini game to get to know your Steam Deck's capabilities.

Cool, will defo check that out

With games marked ‘Unsupported’ is there no way to get them running on Deck as it is? Do Valve still look to get these titles working or is that does to the devs to sort out?

With games marked ‘Unsupported’ is there no way to get them running on Deck as it is? Do Valve still look to get these titles working or is that does to the devs to sort out?
There are quite a few games marked as unsupported, and some of them run well enough / without issue, while others don't work at all. Trial and error, basically. Games like Destiny and such with their anticheat implementation don't work at all and you'd have to be cautious trying them out, because it might just net you a ban.

Valve keep working with devs to get games optimised. Having SteamOS play nice with every possible game will be and still is an ongoing effort. Both on Valve's side as well as the dev's / publisher's.

My replacement 512 GB just got shipped.

Please let the screen be more uniform this time... even the Switch OLED I just got has a less grainy screen.

The out of the box experience is pretty close to consoles now, so you shouldn't have to mess around with anything if you don't mean / want to.

What I'd recommend either way, though, is giving this a go:

Great mini game to get to know your Steam Deck's capabilities.

I played this first as well, after watching Nerrel's Steam Deck vid. Using the trackpad+gyro for aiming feels so good!

Cool, will defo check that out

"Unsupported" can sometimes mean "no really, it doesn't work" and other times it can mean "eh, there's like one or two little snags that keep us from officially saying it works but otherwise it's mostly fine"

For example, Batman Arkham Origins is marked as unsupported, but I just did a full playthrough on Steam Deck a few weeks ago and only ran into one audio bug in an early boss fight (e: which I should mention was fixed by just opening and closing the "Steam menu"). So I'd say anything you already own that's unsupported is worth giving a shot, and always google "[Name of Game], Steam Deck" before buying something unsupported to get an idea of what that actually means.

I think it's a bit of a mix of Valve working to get more games running via improvements to Proton, and then also a mix of devs sometimes going out of their way to make changes to account for Steam Deck. Like, I know Skyrim for example was "Playable" for the longest time but a recent update has apparently bumped it up into being properly "Verified". So bigger games at least are probably worth checking in on every so often to see if there's been any change to their compatibility status.

Last edited:
Been teetering on getting a Steam Deck for well over a year now, and just bit the bullet on a 512gb OLED. I made a Steam account specifically for this purchase actually, since I’ve never had a PC that could sensibly run any games.

I travel for work 10 months out of the year, and the Switch has been doing me really good, but I’ve started to really feel the pain of missing out on big titles that are never going to make it to the Switch. I played Spider-Man on my managers Steam Deck a bit last year (he has the older version, of course) and it’s been on my mind ever since to get one. I finally did it, and I’m SO excited. I would like to build a proper PC one day when I’ve retired from my current line of work, but I think this will do me well for the time being.
Same here, I've been waiting to hear more news if a Steamdeck 2 will surface soon but the oled is very tempting.

Has anyone felt the need to buy a grip case for the Steam Deck? Or is it comfortable enough to play without anything extra?

Back
Top Bottom