• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Steam Deck 2 spec leak surfaces online, showing a massive GPU upgrade

Taking this with a pinch of salt, but if it's real how would this compare to the current Deck GPU?

says the source is from chipshell. that's a bit of a hit or miss forum. especially since it's a forum. and we heard from Valve that the SD2 might not be for a while until they can get a bigger upgrade. and 2x the CUs doesn't sound like that

rumor: steam deck 2 will have 69 gb of ram, 420 terabytes of storage, 666 hours of battery life

Sourceless rumors like this are worthless

OLED 1440p on a (semi-)portable device? That sounds... a bit unrealistic?

EDIT: Mixed up resolutions, am big dum dum :LOL:

Last edited:
The source is some person on Chiphell forums. https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2576709-1-2.html
Saying 2026.

Skeptical they would know this information this far out.
I do want to point out that the information being out there is... dumb.

So the information is far out. That's already a big "what the fuck" given that Valve would likely be making batch processes either in-house or close to their buildings. That's strange by itself. The release date, as they claim, is a little less than 3 years out... that's too far out for Valve to finalise specs, let alone send them to manufacturing areas off-shore.

I also want to point out that literally noone knew about the Steam Deck OLED for sure until the literal day it released. The most we got beforehand was the South Korea National Radio Research Agency reporting a "Valve Corporation device" 2 months prior to its release, not 3 years out. Going back even further, we had no idea about the specifics on the Steam Deck's hardware outside of "it exists" and a codename with "SteamPal". Valve not only wouldn't ship this stuff out this early, and not only would it be leaked to important figures, but it wouldn't have the detail that this leak claims to have.

This is a big ol' "No" from me dawg.

metal-gear-rising-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.gif

The source is some person on Chiphell forums. https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2576709-1-2.html
Saying 2026.

Skeptical they would know this information this far out.
Not that i think those specs are impossible (likely will be something similar to this, regardless of this leak being fake or not), but having all these exact specs already set in stone when the product is 2 years away from release is weird. Hardware usually doesn't finalize itself so far away from release, does it? I mean, they could release it in 2025 with that hardware, or wait and see AMD releasing something better to help them customize a chip. The date discrepancy is a bit weird, that's all.

Not that i think those specs are impossible (likely will be something similar to this, regardless of this leak being fake or not), but having all these exact specs already set in stone when the product is 2 years away from release is weird. Hardware usually doesn't finalize itself so far away from release, does it? I mean, they could release it in 2025 with that hardware, or wait and see AMD releasing something better to help them customize a chip. The date discrepancy is a bit weird, that's all.
is this even a chip that AMD is making? because Valve sells nowhere near enough to justify a semi-custom chip

The specs are certainly plausible, in that Hawk Point is AMD's current APU series and 900p is still a manageable resolution. But I don't believe this is a "leak", merely speculation.

Do we really need that? I haven't had any game that can't run on Deck yet. Hardware is fine, the ergonomics is where the system needs improvement. Make it slimmer, lighter (a lot lighter) and pack it with a monster battery while you keep it as slim as possible. That's the dream Deck 2 for me.

Do we really need that? I haven't had any game that can't run on Deck yet. Hardware is fine, the ergonomics is where the system needs improvement. Make it slimmer, lighter (a lot lighter) and pack it with a monster battery while you keep it as slim as possible. That's the dream Deck 2 for me.
we're starting to see the limits of the SD. and making it slimmer and lighter would require it to move down a node. at that point, you might as well use a new chip

Oh no Nintendobros...is our Switch 2 about to lose the terminally online hardcore digital foundry performance gamer mindshare to the Deck 2...??? I feel sick bros....

Sorry for my stupidity but what does a 90hz refresh rate actually mean for gaming? is it just so you can run more games uncapped? Isn't 90 kind of weird insted of 120 or 60?

You can cap the framerate at for example 45 fps and it will work without judder (if the game can deliver the 45 fps of course).

It's a way to do a framerate between 30 and 60 like the ps5 does without having a 120hz display

Sorry for my stupidity but what does a 90hz refresh rate actually mean for gaming? is it just so you can run more games uncapped? Isn't 90 kind of weird insted of 120 or 60?
you can run at higher frame rates that are multiples of 90Hz, so 25fps, 30fps, 45fps, and 90fps. no 60fps though. need VRR for that

Current AAA releases like Baldur's Gate III and Starfield are pushing it to the absolute limit. BG3 runs but I definitely wouldn't call it well.

Two things:

-Like others said, you can use an in-between framerate like 45 FPS to get something cheaper than 60 FPS, but more responsive than 30 FPS.
-30 FPS games will also be more responsive at 90 Hz VS 60 Hz.

It would be nice to play high level games without it sounding like a jet engine, but I think we are a while out from this type of upgrade materializing.

It would be nice to play high level games without it sounding like a jet engine, but I think we are a while out from this type of upgrade materializing.

The OLED model already addresses this in a big way. Been playing a ton of Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo IV on my OLED and it's much, much quieter than the LCD one I used to own.

The OLED model already addresses this in a big way. Been playing a ton of Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo IV on my OLED and it's much, much quieter than the LCD one I used to own.
That’s pretty encouraging though I will probably wait a while to upgrade myself.

Those specs aren't hard to believe even if I'm not going to have any faith in its credibility. Been a while since I've seen a 900p display. I use a Legion Go but play at 800p. I feel like that's a sweet spot. 1280x800 integer scale to 2560x1600

Didn't Valve say they won't upgrade for awhile?

Not believing this, I suspect they will wait for RDNA 5 or later.

it would be the wildest shit ever if the leaker got their sources mixed up, and these are actually the specs for the Switch 2. yes, I’m aware it’s highly likely to actually be using Nvidia hardware

Valve themselves said on the deck OLED interview that a steam deck 2 is still about 2-3 years away from now.
How can someone have leaks for a device that is still that far apart?

it is, but it wasn't made for Valve. it was made for MS and some other company, but MS ditched it, so Valve picked it up. the other company still uses this chip
This is still just a rumour for which, as far as I know, there has never been any hard evidence, has there?

Back
Top Bottom