• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Square Enix books ¥22.1 billion extraordinary loss for FY2024 after it reviewed its HD development pipeline

It hit me today that one of the casualties here might be the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles project that was teased last year. That would make me very, very sad. I hope Nintendo is funding the project in some way for Switch 2 and that saves it or that Square Enix saw the game as having a solid enough profit forecast to be worth saving.

Now I will patiently wait for the next four years to see if that project surfaces or if I should give up hope.

Steam is not the only platform it released on and Kawazu did say in a previous interview that the SaGa games sold best on the Switch.
It's also extremely low budget and likely doesn't have lofty expectations to meet, plus it has a mobile game that if I remember correctly does just fine in Japan. Any time this topic comes up though, people really have it out for SaGa and Kawazu for some reason. "SaGa fans should be worried!" SaGa fans see bad reviews and low player numbers and consider it peak. They've had two new entries in as many decades and are excited for remasters, or basically anything. They're still figuring out how the latest game even works. This is ijbol island, all that miserable numbers stuff doesn't mean anything here.

Square Enix might need to rethink some of their publishing strategies when a lot of other japanese developers contemporaries are aggressively going for day and date multiplatform releases (and with great success I might add).

Putting all of your eggs inside the sony basket might make sense in the short term but it might hurt their growth long term tho obviously with how development works some of those plans were put into place 5 years ago.

Best case scenario for DQ XII is a global multiplatform release with no weird caveats (meaning japanese/english voice acting from day one and a bunch of QOL options such as battle speeds, etc)

Oh, there it goes my very slim hopes about a Xenogear-Star-Ocean2-Remake treatmen… :(

I think it’s also a mistake for them focusing solely on AAA / FF projects but who knows what are they really doing…

If Square Enix is short on cash maybe they will accept Nintendo buying up the Xenogears IP for a small cash payout. Then let Monolith Soft make a definitive edition remake of Xenogears, where they fix disc 2.

If Square Enix is short on cash maybe they will accept Nintendo buying up the Xenogears IP for a small cash payout. Then let Monolith Soft make a definitive edition remake of Xenogears, where they fix disc 2.
That's a terrible idea. SE can do all those things themselves and pocket the rewards. Just have a marketing deal with nintendo to let Takahashi put all the xeno MCs into one game

they are so blind about FF’s modern appeal.

It selling 3mil (hopefully in the case of rebirth, it might not even do that)

And their thought process is don’t change anything make it more AAA

That's a terrible idea. SE can do all those things themselves and pocket the rewards.
They definitely can but the question is would they, while they're in "cancel everything that isn't a AAA game" mode? What @Danny was suggesting may actually be more likely to happen than Square doing literally anything with the game (outside of maybe a simple emulated rerelease).

They definitely can but the question is would they, while they're in "cancel everything that isn't a AAA game" mode? What @Danny was suggesting may actually be more likely to happen than Square doing literally anything with the game (outside of maybe a simple emulated rerelease).
they're not canning everything. we'll see occasional AA releases in whatever form.

and nah, I wouldn't consider it likely in any stretch. Xenogears still get merchandise after all (some very expensive merch at that).

Back
Top Bottom