• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News SPY x FAMILY anime announced (2022, Wit Studio and Clover Works)

Sander RX

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He, Him

Next year seems pretty stacked for anime, to say the least.

Edit:

For those who are completely unfamiliar with the property:

This is set in Cold War inspired setting in two fictional countries vaguely inspired by East and West Germany. A master spy from the Western nation is tasked with a top secret mission that requires him to acquire a fake family, including an adopted child. He does just that, but unbeknownst to him, the woman he married for the mission is a deadly assassin, who agreed to the marriage as a cover for her own line of work. Unbeknownst to them both, the child he adopted is actually an escaped science experiment, an esper who can read minds. None of them knows each other's secrets, except the child, obviously, but she is like, five, so the just thinks the whole thing is rad.

This is like Mr and Mrs Smith, but with a child, and faaaaar more wholesome. A thrilling and endearing series of action and comedy.

Also the dog from my avatar is from there and he is also great, as it is clearly evident from looking at him.

Last edited:
Awesome! It was only a matter of time. I don’t watch much anime, but I read manga and this is one of the best. We are in for a treat.

Looks really good. I've been meaning to read the manga for a while now.

GREAT source material and an exciting team up of talent. Next year is already looking so exciting!

aEa6vU4.jpeg

I've heard many good things about this series, so I may check it out.

Very nice. Not up to date with the publication anymore, but what I read was great. I love the dog lol

Spy X Family is one of my favorite on-going manga right now. I'm super glad that it's getting an anime adaptation. I do hope a Witch Hat Atelier anime is up next.

I love the manga and always read the new chapters as soon as they're available. Surprised it took this long for an adaptation to happen.

Outside of Eva Rebuild 3.0+1.0 I've been kinda out of anime in 2021, but I'll be back full force next year. This looks interesting! And it's Wit Studio so I'm interested regardless haha.

So excited for this one!!
For some reason I felt like Hiroshi Kamiya (Levi from AoT) would be a perfect fit for Lloyd but the voice actor they picked fits him really well too!

What did everyone think of this series? I watched a couple of episodes last night with my son, since I was looking for a show with a dub. But although kind of wholesome it was a bit too violent for him and he asked me to switch it off mid-way through the 2nd ep. I got a few laughs out of it but I didn't love the writing or all the internal monologues, may have been the dub at fault though.

What did everyone think of this series? I watched a couple of episodes last night with my son, since I was looking for a show with a dub. But although kind of wholesome it was a bit too violent for him and he asked me to switch it off mid-way through the 2nd ep. I got a few laughs out of it but I didn't love the writing or all the internal monologues, may have been the dub at fault though.
I think it’s a fun anime, the comedy stuff hits really well and gave me some good laughs. I’m not really a fan of how the show always portrays these professional killers so lightheartedly and jokingly, gives me a bit of whiplash with how they’re presented in the show without any real critical examination of what they’re actually doing. I’ve only seen the first season so maybe that changes later in the manga, but the show doesn’t seem particularly interested in that so far. But as I said it is a funny show, and watching the three leads come to grips with their evolving dynamics and trying to learn how to be a family is fun to watch.

I like it a lot. The characters themselves and dynamics with the three main ones are so great, don‘t think I‘ve seen Animes before where it is explored so well. Especially the internal Monologes are genuinely funny. Though I get @YoboD that if you are maybe into a more serious take or in a faster paced story, the first season dosen‘t really offer that.

I have to say, watching this in German is a vibe.

Mostly because the setting is clearly Cold War-era Germany.

Anya's voice is a bit off, but otherwise I quite like this dub so far.

That's right, folk. New season and a movie in 2023.

19592ac775e81c5c1571a56474b5fa4a1671331831_main.jpg

The SPY x FAMILY movie will feature an original story by Tatsuya Endo, who is also supervising the film alongside creating the original character designs for the new characters that will feature.

Last edited:
Please don‘t miss out on Season 2. It starts a bit slow but S2E5 starts probably the best Arc of the entire Series so far. I love this Anime so much and it‘s a bit sad that seemingly no one is talking about it anymore.

I actually just started watching it, since I’m now caught up with the manga. About halfway through the first season.

Please don‘t miss out on Season 2. It starts a bit slow but S2E5 starts probably the best Arc of the entire Series so far. I love this Anime so much and it‘s a bit sad that seemingly no one is talking about it anymore.

Yeah, I didn't expect it to start that arc quite so soon, but there it was. I expect that'll be a general fan favorite for the time being.

Will be interesting to see if it catches up to the manga and how it handles such an occurrence. In any case, the structure would allow the insertion of extra material well enough, and you can see how some of that could be handled through some if the noticably extra bits here.

I love Spy x Family!

It’s not the mega epic with big action scenes, but the people who watch it are always super positive. Season 2 was fun and I’m excited for S3.

Plus it might be a series that a younger crowd might not identify with: Lloid and Yor are heading towards their thirties and they take care of a five year old. As a thirty something I think Spy x Family is refreshing.

In Japan it’s super popular though. The manga is very visible in stores and the anime appears everywhere. During my stay last September the amount of merchandise is huge; from plushies, to statues/figurines and massive amounts of merch in Gacha machines. I pulled a cute Anya from a premium machine.

S8ba0f2f5162e4e7c80bde2a49fed2d55C.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

The middle one btw.

I love Spy x Family!

It’s not the mega epic with big action scenes, but the people who watch it are always super positive. Season 2 was fun and I’m excited for S3.

Plus it might be a series that a younger crowd might not identify with: Lloid and Yor are heading towards their thirties and they take care of a five year old. As a thirty something I think Spy x Family is refreshing.

In Japan it’s super popular though. The manga is very visible in stores and the anime appears everywhere. During my stay last September the amount of merchandise is huge; from plushies, to statues/figurines and massive amounts of merch in Gacha machines. I pulled a cute Anya from a premium machine.

The middle one btw.
On the other hand I feel like that to some older possible audiences in the west it could might give the wrong impression what this series is about. They only see a cute little girl and think this a kids show.

Otherwise I believe this show is also attractive to younger adult audiences. It has the right amount of satire and weirdness.

I saw it first when I was like 25 and my life is currently very far away from the reality of those two characters in this show.

I love Spy x Family!

The middle one btw.
I saw these at the Gachapon machine at Mitsuwa, a Japanese supermarket near O’Hare Airport, and thought about trying for one.

Back
Top Bottom