• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they? Yeah? Will they? God I fucking hope not. Either he's involved or I don't want it.
I don't see why you need him on board if it's just a graphics update

As for the control scheme there's not much else to do aside from offering touchscreen/pointer/stick options

I don't see why you need him on board if it's just a graphics update

As for the control scheme there's not much else to do aside from offering touchscreen/pointer/stick options
I still want to original director involved for decisions about his game? Simple as that.

Also, when Sakurai is saying that it would be too expensive to simply remaster, I'd listen to him. He knows far more about the game than anyone on here does.

Animal Crossing is like Mario Kart or Smash where the latest entry "replaces" the previous one. They won't be going back to any of the old games.
Yup, same with Mario party, tennis, golf, strikers etc.

Hoping for a Pokémon colosseum remaster and a Donkey Konga Kollection 🥁

The horse shall return next month for full on direct hype. He’s temporarily retired. Elmer Fudd has been shiny hunting Pokémon as well as playing dragon’s dogma 2

My personal speculation for the direct.
1. Something Zelda. Either that rumor of a spin off starring Princess Zelda or Wind Waker/TP HD
2. Fire Emblem Genealogy of the holy War Remake
3. Mario Party
4. Metroid Prime 2/3 remastered
5. Something Call of Duty. I’m honestly thinking old ports of classic titles
6. Donkey Kong or Metroid Prime 4. I think we will get one of these this year. Not sure on which

I’m behind on a weeks worth of posts

The horse shall return next month for full on direct hype. He’s temporarily retired. Elmer Fudd has been shiny hunting Pokémon as well as playing dragon’s dogma 2

My personal speculation for the direct.
1. Something Zelda. Either that rumor of a spin off starring Princess Zelda or Wind Waker/TP HD
2. Fire Emblem Genealogy of the holy War Remake
3. Mario Party
4. Metroid Prime 2/3 remastered
5. Something Call of Duty. I’m honestly thinking old ports of classic titles
6. Donkey Kong or Metroid Prime 4. I think we will get one of these this year. Not sure on which

I’m behind on a weeks worth of posts

You're going to be very disappointed. This is a last ditch Direct to fill the void of a Switch 2 announcement/Q4 release.

Would make sense to port the Bleach mobile game on the Switch.

Also would make sense for a direct reveal

Midori suddenly has enough sources to be able to leak a game per day now? 🤨

yall this is getting weird

Why would they port a 2016 gatcha game to switch at this point? Feels like an odd move. But also, no one is has been making Bleach game since the DS era. C2 stuck with Naruto

At least this claim should be possible to verify relatively soon compared to the code names, since I imagine a Switch Bleach game would be announced by the end of 2025. Then, if it pans out, depending on who is making it, that might tell us where Midori has valid non-Sega sources.

If SirArthur is right and a Bleach game hasn't released since 2006, a new one being released is not an extremely safe guess, so I would treat this as something of a notable rumor (as opposed to saying, say, a new Fire Emblem is in development).
Sorry for the multiquote (including myself), but I learned (via a post on Era originally) that we maybe were wrong about how notable this "leak" was.

A new Bleach game was already announced on May 9, 2024 (see Slide 17 of the financial presentation here), and I think we can say it's a safe bet that "the first hybrid casual game worldwide based on the anime BLEACH" is planned for Switch and possibly Switch 2, depending on release date.

If I'm late with this news and this was already uncovered, my bad.

The copyright information on the game's title screen:

images

You're going to be very disappointed. This is a last ditch Direct to fill the void of a Switch 2 announcement/Q4 release.
The last gasps of Wii U included Color Splash and Breath of the Wild, both games I adored, I don't think it's absurd to expect:

Heavily rumoured ports and games.
And a wacky port that Microsoft has promised anyway.

These seem pretty reasonable...

Sorry for the multiquote (including myself), but I learned (via a post on Era originally) that we maybe were wrong about how notable this "leak" was.

A new Bleach game was already announced on May 9, 2024 (see Slide 17 of the financial presentation here), and I think we can say it's a safe bet that "the first hybrid casual game worldwide based on the anime BLEACH" is planned for Switch and possibly Switch 2, depending on release date.

If I'm late with this news and this was already uncovered, my bad.
No worries. But I am super curious on that wording "hybrid casual game" is kinda funny :ROFLMAO:

No worries. But I am super curious on that wording "hybrid casual game" is kinda funny :ROFLMAO:
As a fellow member of the prestigious "What the hell is a hybrid casual game" club, I googled it and came across this:
Hybrid casual games are a combination of hyper-casual and mid-core games. They offer simple games that are easy for any kind of player to pick up. However, the game itself is often much more in-depth than the traditional casual game.
and they mention Archero, Clash Royale and Stumble Guys (among others) as examples of hybrid casual games.

The last gasps of Wii U included Color Splash and Breath of the Wild, both games I adored, I don't think it's absurd to expect:

Heavily rumoured ports and games.
And a wacky port that Microsoft has promised anyway.

These seem pretty reasonable...

The Switch 2 was, until recently, supposed to be released in Q4. How would they suddenly have lots of Switch 1 games ready for that time?

The Switch 2 was, until recently, supposed to be released in Q4. How would they suddenly have lots of Switch 1 games ready for that time?
Because there always was? The teams working on Switch 1 games all this time didn't stop because the other console was coming up. As has been explored, Nintendo readies games long in advance if they can, with Fire Emblem Engage and TTYD's remake being held back by many months to fill the schedule. That presumably still holds through and they can pull some later planned releases forward.

More notably though, why would it be an empty period for Nintendo Switch anyway? It's not going away, like 3DS it'll be the new budget line. 3DS had games coming out in 2017 AFTER Switch launched, some of them VERY GOOD! Why is this different?

It's not. The games that would have come out in Q4 for Nintendo Switch probably will, the third parties planning Switch launches for Q4 will go ahead with them, and if, big if, there is a hole in the schedule where a console launch may have gone, they could push out something ahead of schedule.

Nintendo is a big company full of smart people. You don't think they had contingency plans?

They project to sell over ten million units of Nintendo Switch hardware without the help of the successor, even in its shadow, of course they have software to back it up, just like they did last year

Last edited:
Nintendo is a big company full of smart people. You don't think they had contingency plans?
Nintendo contingency plan consist of two things.
Similar to 2016 when Twilight princess and Nes mini release

I have full faith that Nintendo has stockpiled shitloads of old games to release if there's nothing in the horizon, like Nintendo did it once with Mario 3D all star because they had nothing in the second half of 2020, except ports
tp-ww-heres-my-take-on-this-port-i-can-still-hope-if-the-v0-9ucg3l19pz3b1.jpg
would-you-buy-the-n64-classic-edition-v0-pe8l7k5ts1pa1.jpg

Nintendo contingency plan consist of two things.
Similar to 2016 when Twilight princess and Nes mini release

I have full faith that Nintendo has stockpiled shitloads of old games to release if there's nothing in the horizon, like Nintendo did it once with Mario 3D all star because they had nothing in the second half of 2020, except ports
tp-ww-heres-my-take-on-this-port-i-can-still-hope-if-the-v0-9ucg3l19pz3b1.jpg
would-you-buy-the-n64-classic-edition-v0-pe8l7k5ts1pa1.jpg
I can't see N64 Classic in a world with NSO. Why sell a $100 console with games once when you can sell a $200-350 console, plus a recurring subscription, plus extra for the controllers, and those controllers consistently sell out, so that situation has bore tremendous fruit.

Trust me, seriously. No matter how bad Switch does this year, it's better than the Wii U's best year. And 2016 was probably Wii U's worst. 😅

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, it would be a great novelty!

Also I could see a NSMB collection for the holiday season to milk reignited interest from Wonder. DS, 2 and Wii brushed up or remake in the U or Wonder engine, imagine... And imagine how much of the process they could automate to get it out on a shoestring budget. 😂

(Not a foreign concept, a lot of the work on Galaxy's Switch port was "automated".)

I can't see N64 Classic in a world with NSO. Why sell a $100 console with games once when you can sell a $200-350 console, plus a recurring subscription, plus extra for the controllers, and those controllers consistently sell out, so that situation has bore tremendous fruit.

Trust me, seriously. No matter how bad Switch does this year, it's better than the Wii U's best year. And 2016 was probably Wii U's worst. 😅

Also I could see a NSMB collection for the holiday season to milk reignited interest from Wonder. DS, 2 and Wii brushed up or remake in the U or Wonder engine, imagine... And imagine how much of the process they could automate to get it out on a shoestring budget. 😂

(Not a foreign concept, a lot of the work on Galaxy's Switch port was "automated".)
Similar to NES and SNES mini, it's probably meant for older audiences for the novelty and also hardcore fans.

NSMB collection is something that would sell incredibly, mostly because those games are now seen as retro and the children who owned a Wii and DS are now Switch owners (Yes, those 4-10 year olds are now young adults, which is crazy to think about), i wouldn't be surprised that most people would buy it for nostalgic reasons.

But the thing that will keep interest on the Switch would be a price cut and a small scale, but new 2D Donkey Kong. Like i can see this holiday be crazy, mostly because there's a high chance the Switch will be about 200USD and being bundled with either Mario Kart or some certain niche franchise (Metroid Prime 4).

Like it's inevitable that Switch will slowly fade out, but a price cut and market it as a cheap entry system can make it alive for the future.

As a N64 kid would love a N64 classic. But honestly, a NSMB collection wouldn’t be a bad idea since I only played U Deluxe.

One day I’d like to see Mario 64 truly remade from the ground up and 64 DS stuff on the side
I was hoping it'd at least get a graphical overhaul in the All-Stars collection, like the NES games did in theirs.

Hell, I might've even bought it had they done that. I love Mario 64.

I was hoping it'd at least get a graphical overhaul in the All-Stars collection, like the NES games did in theirs.

Hell, I might've even bought it had they done that. I love Mario 64.
I'm guessing it'd be a mess for the developers and not easy at all to do well, but it would have been cool if that collection had brought those three games up to Super Mario Odyssey's visual standard. But I think we would not have gotten the collection as a $60 game that was only sold for a few months if that were to happen.

Not gonna lie, I wouldnt mind the direct to be in the 2nd half of June.

I'm away from home between 5-10th of June and would like to be home when it's airing and I will log off work on the 15th of June for 2,5 months of vacation/parental time so after that would be perfect.

Rooting for the week after the 15th! Would give my vacation a perfect start!

I'm guessing it'd be a mess for the developers and not easy at all to do well, but it would have been cool if that collection had brought those three games up to Super Mario Odyssey's visual standard. But I think we would not have gotten the collection as a $60 game that was only sold for a few months if that were to happen.
Honestly I wasn't even expecting that. I was thinking they'd bring it up to more like 64DS at least, maybe up to Sunshine quality if they wanted to push it, and then 16:9 1080p (which we at least got for Sunshine and Galaxy). I don't think that woulda been too big an ask, but of course seeing that they were emulated instead of ported I can understand why they didn't start going in and upgrading assets.

Too bad, but meh. Saved me $60. 😅

Honestly I wasn't even expecting that. I was thinking they'd bring it up to more like 64DS at least, maybe up to Sunshine quality if they wanted to push it, and then 16:9 1080p (which we at least got for Sunshine and Galaxy). I don't think that woulda been too big an ask, but of course seeing that they were emulated instead of ported I can understand why they didn't start going in and upgrading assets.

Too bad, but meh. Saved me $60. 😅
Everything being at Galaxy's graphical quality would have also been nice. Galaxy 2's Throwback Galaxy was kind of a step in that direction. But yeah, any improvement would have been appreciated over another emulated version comparable to what's now available on NSO. As time goes on, I'd say the value of the game collection more firmly lies in Sunshine (and Galaxy to a lesser extent) being playable on a modern platform. In comparison, even without the collection, I think the only Nintendo systems since the Nintendo 64 released in 1996 that can't play Super Mario 64 are GameCube and the Game Boy line.

Speaking of "playable on modern platforms"...I wouldn't mind if this next Direct confirmed the remaining Kirby games missing from NSO are planned and announced a 3DS game remaster collection, using the work done for RTDL Deluxe where possible.

Last edited:
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I kinda don’t want them to go back and homogenize the look of Mario games. It would feel weird. They’re from their era and should stay like that with some upres’ing

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I kinda don’t want them to go back and homogenize the look of Mario games. It would feel weird. They’re from their era and should stay like that with some upres’ing
They would lose a lot of their charm like the soulless, sterile, hospital-like Mario vs. Donkey Kong

I'd be okay with it as long as the original is still available. Mario 64's graphics have a lot of charm but I think it's be interesting to play a newer-looking version too.

Now if the option woulda been something like Live-A-Live (and what I'm afraid they're gonna do to Chrono Trigger), where the old one stays buried and is effectively replaced by the new version, then that I don't support.

But instead we got two basically identical versions of Mario 64 on Switch so 😅

They would lose a lot of their charm like the soulless, sterile, hospital-like Mario vs. Donkey Kong
I can’t think of a more boring thing Nintendo could do than remake Mario 64 to look like Odyssey.

That would also make 64 look pretty bad side by side, as Odyssey absolutely dwarfs it in scale. At least with 64’s visuals you can tell it’s an older game

Weird thing I want to see that will never happen is if Nintendo made a Super Mario 64 - 2 with the same graphics and physics, but all new levels. I recently saw this video on Twitter of a fan made Mario 64 level editor that looked super cool, but it just got me thinking how rad it would be to have another 64 game with all new locations and 120 new stars.

I'd be okay with it as long as the original is still available. Mario 64's graphics have a lot of charm but I think it's be interesting to play a newer-looking version too.

Now if the option woulda been something like Live-A-Live (and what I'm afraid they're gonna do to Chrono Trigger), where the old one stays buried and is effectively replaced by the new version, then that I don't support.

But instead we got two basically identical versions of Mario 64 on Switch so 😅
The best way I can explain why it would feel wrong to me is that, for me, it would be the same situation if Nintendo took Wind Waker and said “let’s just remake it in BotW’s art style for brand consistency” or something.

I know in reality it’s different in that Zelda specifically does try to have unique and sometimes vastly different art styles with each new era, whereas Mario has evolved to be pretty consistent, but 64 is still far enough removed from that that it would be weird for me. Even looking at screenshots of SM64DS feels off now - and that was my first version of the game! Lol.

I feel the same when I read requests for a PM64 remake like TTYD. I feel like TTYD established the modern “look” for Paper Mario, and PM64 Mario stands out as pretty different compared to the rest of the series. I think that’s become part of it’s identity at this point and would feel odd to see it remade to look like TTYD and after.

But honestly, I fully admit this is just vibes based and totally depends on the game. Like, given the above, you’d assume my opinion on SMRPG Remake and Link’s Awakening remake would be the same but I’m actually fine with those for some reason. Maybe I’m fine with NES/SNES pixel art games being remade to be 3D or “modern”, but 5th gen stuff just feels like a more bespoke art style that shouldn’t be touched. Couldn’t really say lol.

My idea is different, the latest textures always look more exquisite.
If they can completely remake the old game's materials, that would be best, followed by using the latest generation of materials, and finally improving the resolution and lighting of the original materials.
At present, most of Nintendo's remakes are still stuck in the worst tier.

Weird thing I want to see that will never happen is if Nintendo made a Super Mario 64 - 2 with the same graphics and physics, but all new levels. I recently saw this video on Twitter of a fan made Mario 64 level editor that looked super cool, but it just got me thinking how rad it would be to have another 64 game with all new locations and 120 new stars.
This is what I wanted from Shenmue 3, no joke. I assume one of the reasons the game is so different from 1&2 is because of legal stuff (Suzuki getting the rights to make a third but having to differentiate it from Sega-owned 1&2) but honestly I wish they had made 3 with the exact same graphics and battle system and just released that as a new game. I think retro styling is hip enough now that it coulda worked, and maybe woulda fostered some goodwill for sticking with it. But instead we got the most generically UE4 thing I've seen outside of youtube. 😩

Okay actually yeah I'm sold on Mario 64 never being touched.

You've reached the enlightenment phase of a Melee fan ca. 2014

It does sound kinda cool tho

A Mario 64 remake should look like the 3D CGI used to promote the original release. That way it gets a visual overhaul and retains a unique aesthetic and looks super freaky.

So, the next Doom will be a "medieval-themed" one?

Why not just do a new Hexen / Heretic game instead?
Because surely that "medieval theme" is the prequel to the modern doom, in the war of the world of the sentinels, before the Makyr made their betrayal

Doom_Eternal_guide___Taras_Nabad_secret_items_locations_and_maps.0.png

emerson-tung-de-env-sentinelprime.jpg

Dragon Quest III Two Dimensional Highly Defined Version Rebirth-Remade being in the Direct is good news for foolish fans of JRPGs, like me. I'd better crack on with finishing more from my Pile.

And midori liked an answer that talked about the appearance in the Nintendo Direct.

Sony is out given the "in a couple of weeks", as their State of Play is rumored for this week.

So it only leaves Xbox Showcase or Nintendo Direct, and both have arguments why it could be at them.

Of course, SQEX could also have another event of their own.

This ‘more remasters coming after March 2025’ thing is pretty obvious anyway right? Like, they’ve been remastering games for a while now and they tend to sell well so they won’t just stop once Switch 2 launches. Sure, they may slow down how many come out per year depending on the release schedule but they won’t stop coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom