• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dualies Side Order palette finally complete! I was surprised I only had one key in it until now. This mode is still fun for a run or two a day.

I'm honestly amazed that they pretty much did so much just south of straight up saying that Pearl and Marina are dating. Marina's computer desktop. Constant flirting in the elevator. Pearl talking about having "us time" with Marina for "real fun". Hell, I'm pretty sure they shot plausible deniability in the head when Marina outright yells at Acht "are you seriously hitting on Pearl in front of me!?" Just let them kiss. Who are you hiding the lesbians from, Nintendo? You aren't fooling anyone, so just pull the trigger.

Anyway, got the "Cleared the Spire of Order with the Low-Hacks Eight's Palette" badge last night. All that's left are some of the Color Chip badges.

I'm honestly amazed that they pretty much did so much just south of straight up saying that Pearl and Marina are dating. Marina's computer desktop. Constant flirting in the elevator. Pearl talking about having "us time" with Marina for "real fun". Hell, I'm pretty sure they shot plausible deniability in the head when Marina outright yells at Acht "are you seriously hitting on Pearl in front of me!?" Just let them kiss. Who are you hiding the lesbians from, Nintendo? You aren't fooling anyone, so just pull the trigger.

Anyway, got the "Cleared the Spire of Order with the Low-Hacks Eight's Palette" badge last night. All that's left are some of the Color Chip badges.
They sleep in the same bed and literally said "I love you" in a mandatory viewing Inkopolis News back in 2. They aren't TRYING to fool anyone, the "big reveal" of their relationship was in 2, Side Order just has some cute references to said relationship.

They sleep in the same bed and literally said "I love you" in a mandatory viewing Inkopolis News back in 2. They aren't TRYING to fool anyone, the "big reveal" of their relationship was in 2, Side Order just has some cute references to said relationship.
Apparently the Sleep in the Same bed line was an edit unfortunately.

And yeah, if Pearl and Marina were a guy and girl, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Apparently the Sleep in the Same bed line was an edit unfortunately.

It's... not. The entire conversation is about one of them (Don't remember who) pulling the blankets to her side. I've seen it myself while playing.

EDIT: Actually I think we might be talking about two different dialogue bits here?

It's... not. The entire conversation is about one of them (Don't remember who) pulling the blankets to her side. I've seen it myself while playing.

EDIT: Actually I think we might be talking about two different dialogue bits here?
It’s this, which @NBOctoling posted in this thread before:

And you definitely didn’t see it in game, because it doesn’t exist, unfortunately. It’s absolutely an edit. Look at a text dump yourself if you don’t believe me: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Leanny/splat3/main/data/language/USen_full.json

You’re probably remembering having seen it posted in this thread.

EDIT: Beaten by mere seconds, apparently, lol.

But yeah, shit like this is why I absolutely hate it when people post fake shit like that online and don’t make it obvious that it’s just a joke or shitpost, because people are gonna naturally believe it’s real. Fuck that Twitter user for that.

It’s this, which @NBOctoling posted in this thread before:

And you definitely didn’t see it in game, because it doesn’t exist, unfortunately. It’s absolutely an edit. Look at a text dump yourself if you don’t believe me: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Leanny/splat3/main/data/language/USen_full.json

You’re probably remembering having seen it posted in this thread.

I might have Berenstain Bear'd myself, huh. I'll take the L on this. And now will probably spend three hours going through the text dump trying to figure out what exactly did I read here, lol.

In any case, it's not like we don't have a lot more supporting evidence here, bed management aside.

Quoted by: Tye
In any case, it's not like we don't have a lot more supporting evidence here, bed management aside.
Oh yeah, even without that it’s extremely obvious that Pearl and Marina are intended to be queer and in a relationship, lol. Sure, they don’t outright say “we’re lesbians and we’re dating!” but, like, they don’t really need to, lol. It’s presented in a natural way that actually feels authentic, and I like that. And despite not being as explicit as it could be, it’s still far enough that there’s absolutely no denying it.

I only wish C.J. and Flick’s relationship could have been presented as unquestionably as Pearl and Marina’s is here… The two are clearly intended to be queer and partners, but the in-game dialogue dances around leaning into it too much so it’s not nearly at the level of Pearl and Marina, sadly. They need to kiss in the next Animal Crossing, damn it!!

I like how it's been around a year now, I think, since I got a Gold in Salmon Run. I don't even care about the rewards since you literally can't get everything anyways. But, wow, the amount of wins against King Salmonids, without a Gold Scale, is just baffling. Is this truly the worst reward system in the history of gaming? It is literally broken.

Anyways, gotten kinda drained from this game, will try the new season stuff a bit finally (if the new stage will ever be in rotation), but ehh, I hope Splatoon 4 is a bit of a shakeup.

I like how it's been around a year now, I think, since I got a Gold in Salmon Run. I don't even care about the rewards since you literally can't get everything anyways. But, wow, the amount of wins against King Salmonids, without a Gold Scale, is just baffling. Is this truly the worst reward system in the history of gaming? It is literally broken.

Anyways, gotten kinda drained from this game, will try the new season stuff a bit finally (if the new stage will ever be in rotation), but ehh, I hope Splatoon 4 is a bit of a shakeup.
Yeah it's wild! I think I went 11 defeats or so without a single golden scale. That's 1 in 100 more or less. It's so idiotically defined... They expect you to devote your life to the salmonids.

Yeah it's wild! I think I went 11 defeats or so without a single golden scale. That's 1 in 100 more or less. It's so idiotically defined... They expect you to devote your life to the salmonids.
Yeah it is bad. When you have the max hazard level of 333% you still only have a 3% chance of getting a golden scale. So your team needs to have a rank of Eggsecutive VP 865+

I finished all the palettes and got the low-hack badge days after Side Order came out. I do think Side Order needed more variety in terms of enemies, maps, objectives and bosses, but otherwise it's a super polished and fun experience.

I think part of the problem with why the singleplayer modes aren't quite as meaty as they probably should be is because it's being developed by EPD Production Group No. 5 - not because they aren't a talented bunch, but because they're alternating between supporting Animal Crossing at the same time. Both Splatoon and Animal Crossing are content-heavy games that demand quite a bit of your time if you want the full experience, and I've already heard people bemoan that New Horizons' post-launch updates got kneecapped and left that game lacking in terms of content. There's also a bit of overlap in terms of design philosophies that don't really mesh between Splatoon and Animal Crossing. I don't think any of the other EPD production groups have so much on their plate. I personally think Splatoon needs a dedicated team behind it, with more staff - I think it would benefit both Splatoon and Animal Crossing that way.

Also, I think there probably should be more variation in terms of campaign structure. I would smeggin' love a Splatoon singleplayer game or story mode with the Persona structure, it would fit like a glove. Imagine this - you're a fresh face moving to a new city to enroll in high school, and on the side you start getting into the Ink Battling scene while making a few friends. And then suddenly, you find out said friends are actually part of a clandestine group of heroes protecting the city from some outside threat (personally I'd call them the Cephalo Squad), and suddenly you're also doing missions and uncovering a mystery. It'd be perfect.

I do also think they should implement bots for multiplayer training as well, though it's kinda obvious why they haven't yet - the bots don't know how to climb up walls. When was the last time you say any enemy Octoling (or one of the Parallel Canon drones) ink a wall and then climb up it to try and get to you? Excactly, it doesn't happen, because if I was a betting man, I'd say the engine still uses traditional navigation meshes, which are fantastic for efficiently knowing where to walk places, but absolutely horrid at any other form of navigation that isn't explicitly coded into the level, usually in the form of custom navigation links. If the developers want bots to properly navigate a map like a player would, they'd need to be able to know which walls can be inked, which ones can't, and of the former when to ink a wall when a wall is already inked with the bot's team color. For that, I imagine the best solution would be a navigation octree, typically used for 3D flying movement. The exact implementation is out of my wheelhouse, but my best guess would be that the octree generates, on top of the available space, additional cells that identify inkable surfaces and whether they're inked, and if so, which team the ink belongs to.

I'm getting some pretty rubbish weapon RNG in Big Run, weapons I don't like such as Tri Stringer and Goo Tuber. Best is 122 so far...

I think part of the problem with why the singleplayer modes aren't quite as meaty as they probably should be is because it's being developed by EPD Production Group No. 5 - not because they aren't a talented bunch, but because they're alternating between supporting Animal Crossing at the same time. Both Splatoon and Animal Crossing are content-heavy games that demand quite a bit of your time if you want the full experience, and I've already heard people bemoan that New Horizons' post-launch updates got kneecapped and left that game lacking in terms of content. There's also a bit of overlap in terms of design philosophies that don't really mesh between Splatoon and Animal Crossing. I don't think any of the other EPD production groups have so much on their plate. I personally think Splatoon needs a dedicated team behind it, with more staff - I think it would benefit both Splatoon and Animal Crossing that way.
thankfully this isn't really how EPD works. most of the Kyoto staff is a pool of designers, artists, programmers, et al that floats between groups as needed

Played two games of Big Run today, and lost on the second round both times, and decided that was enough Salmon Run for the weekend for me, and went right back to Turf War.

Yeeahh -w- It is very annoying. And weird. Even just with getting Bronze and Silvers, stuff is way too expensive, + being way too many things, for it to be manageable. It is really awful. Again, luckily, I don't need all the stuff, it doesn't effect me super much in THAT way, but it IS just so stupid that it still frustrates me, haha.
Tho I also just kinda feel a bit tired of Salmon Run. I love the mode but I hope it gets replaced by something similar-yet-new in the next game.
Or at least alongside it.
But yeah, super good mode, but the reward system isn't good

The one saving grace of Eeltail Alley is that Horrorboros is a free kill. As much good as farming it will do with those atrocious drop rates.

Low tide is neat, the narrow hallway makes for an interesting setup unlike anything else we've encountered. Mid is solid. High tide is a little boring, it feels like a rerun of Barnacle and Dime, but fine.

It's interesting seeing this map use the tricolor setup. I wonder if we'll ever see any others like that.

thankfully this isn't really how EPD works. most of the Kyoto staff is a pool of designers, artists, programmers, et al that floats between groups as needed
Oh, really? I had no idea.

Still, it does feel like maybe Splatoon 3 needed a larger pool of developers. It feels like the game's development had some serious problems, especially over the COVID period. Granted, I dunno if it was a manpower issue or just development hell.

Low tide is neat, the narrow hallway makes for an interesting setup unlike anything else we've encountered. Mid is solid. High tide is a little boring, it feels like a rerun of Barnacle and Dime, but fine.

It's interesting seeing this map use the tricolor setup. I wonder if we'll ever see any others like that.
It's probably because the map is as it normally is, frankly, claustrophobic. Eetail Alley exemplifies how Splatoon 3's early map design philosophy was literally choke point central, the only map that's worse in that regard is Scorch Gorge. There was no way it was going to work in Big Run without it being widened.

Which is especially maddening considering early trailers showed both stages were significantly less claustrophobic and actually had viable flank routes. I have no idea why the developers were so gung-ho on such choke-heavy design with so few inkable walls so late in development, it's insane.

Oh, really? I had no idea.

Still, it does feel like maybe Splatoon 3 needed a larger pool of developers. It feels like the game's development had some serious problems, especially over the COVID period. Granted, I dunno if it was a manpower issue or just development hell.

It's probably because the map is as it normally is, frankly, claustrophobic. Eetail Alley exemplifies how Splatoon 3's early map design philosophy was literally choke point central, the only map that's worse in that regard is Scorch Gorge. There was no way it was going to work in Big Run without it being widened.

Which is especially maddening considering early trailers showed both stages were significantly less claustrophobic and actually had viable flank routes. I have no idea why the developers were so gung-ho on such choke-heavy design with so few inkable walls so late in development, it's insane.
The general obsession in 3 with non-inkable walls is bizarre. Like yeah it can be an interesting twist once in a while but it starts to feel like inkable walls are the exception, when that's supposed to be one of the more unique features of Splatoon.

I don't think I agree on that at all, Splatoon 3s problems weren't manpower, the main two were map design directions that didn't work out and , it was poor direction choices chasing the trend of everything needs to be more grindy/come with a bar to fill, more manpower wouldn't have fixed either of the problems

I don't think I agree on that at all, Splatoon 3s problems weren't manpower, the main two were map design directions that didn't work out and , it was poor direction choices chasing the trend of everything needs to be more grindy/come with a bar to fill, more manpower wouldn't have fixed either of the problems
The map design really was a problem, but the bar fill part i disagree with. The fact that it is there is a good thing. It gives people a sense of accomplishment and they are working towards stuff (catalogue and Salmon Run rewards) however the time investment needed to complete it all...is far too much. I dont have have to take a "second job" to complete it all.

The map design really was a problem, but the bar fill part i disagree with. The fact that it is there is a good thing. It gives people a sense of accomplishment and they are working towards stuff (catalogue and Salmon Run rewards) however the time investment needed to complete it all...is far too much. I dont have have to take a "second job" to complete it all.

The combination of a lot of very grindy things to do at once with hard time limits killed the game for me, honestly. Not only that, but a strong focus on time limited events as the main source of new game modes. I've managed to play a single Challenge since they were released.

Map design is definitely the second point why 3 feels less on point as the previous two games were. A lot of them feel extremely similar player feel wise.

I'm also not super sold on the seasonal model. Having a small content drop every week was nice, even if it made the meta more unstable. (And also meant you didn't have to sit through Sheldon giving a TED talk about 10 weapons at once every 3 months!)

In general it feels weird how, for a game that theoretically was made after Chaos won the final fest in 2, a lot of things on it feel extremely rigidly organized. Very rigid map design philosophy, schedules governing everything, hard season breaks for stuff.

The general obsession in 3 with non-inkable walls is bizarre. Like yeah it can be an interesting twist once in a while but it starts to feel like inkable walls are the exception, when that's supposed to be one of the more unique features of Splatoon.
It basically has wall running and you basically can't bloody use it! 🫠

Got the most eggs I had ever gotten in a single round, what does the game give me after? Fog with tons of Flyfish and the stupid Grizzco Stamper. Team wipe. 😵‍💫

No, it's a categorically bad thing that they arbitrarily locked chunks of content behind dozens of not hundreds of hours grinding that previously you'd have gotten in a fraction of the time.

They didn't make new content or anything, they just said that now you have to do hundreds more battles to get the same thing you were already getting under some thin veneer of 'content'. It's worse than what we had before in every sense.

Hightide Glowflies on this map feels impossible to cheese unless I'm missing something.
Facing away from spawn, towards the middle of the map, there's a tiled roof to the right. You can jump from the lower section to an uninkable wall made of steel beams that salmonids can't access.

Last edited:
The grind really only affects Salmon Run and I wasn't even talking about that or the map design (though yes both are issues), I was talking about the relative lack of content. We're on the cusp of the end of this game's life cycle and this game barely has as many stages as 2 (why has the Reef not made a comeback?!), and there's a severe lack of kits - this game has more specials than the last two games combined but there simply isn't enough variety in terms of weapon kits to allow people to fully utilize them - every weapon class should have a kit for every single special. This would improve variety in the metagame considerably and allow for better balancing and experimentation in terms of team compositions. Considering weapon kits are literally texture reskins with a different sub and special, it's baffling that we don't have more of them.

Right now, while some would say the meta is surprisingly healthy, it's also dominated by Tacticooler (though some have argued this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just needs to be toned down a bit), but in particular Snipewriter, both of which need nerfs.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget how it took months for them to start doing Big Runs, which also probably caused us to miss Splatoween in the game's first year.

Last edited:
Let's play a game!

Nintendo has asked you to pick out 3 weapons that you think deserve a third kit, and pick out a new sub and special weapon for them. What weapons do you choose, what kits, and why?

I'll go first!

Dapple Dualies: this weapon has been screwed over kit-wise ever since it got introduced in Splatoon 2. It has never had a kit where both the sub and special work for it, and thus has never been worth using over other, better options. That's why I'm giving it Burst Bomb, to give it ranged poking potential, but also as a way to paint under your feet and practically give yourself another little "dash" that you can use before rolling at an enemy. Alongside that, I'll give it its Ink Storm back that it had in Splatoon 2. Now that the special has healing properties, the dapples can throw the storm, and then run in through the storm to keep the user in the fight longer, which its shorter dodge rolls sometimes struggle to do for it.

Dread Wringer: a weapon with BIG potential, that will otherwise never get the chance to realize it. Both the kits it has right now aren't terrible design-wise, but the parts of the kits are very underpowered and I don't expect that to ever change. So I'm giving it Torpedo, as a somewhat cheap bomb that the Wringer can use to easily weaken or finish off opponents combined with the potential 90-damage sloshes. I fear burst bomb would be a little too overpowered, but Torpedo would be the perfect balance. With this, I'll also give it Super Chumps. The special is slightly undertuned, however the Dread Wringer would make great use of the slight chip damage the chumps provide, and the chumps would also provide cover/meatshields that the weapon desperately needs to make up for its slightly slower kill time and less consistent damage compared to other sloshers.

FInally, Jet Squelcher: one of the most fun shooters in the game, turned into a paint spammer because of its boring kits. This thing deserves something fun and aggressive, so I'm referencing the days of old by giving it Fizzy Bomb, as a chip-damage treat (and since I don't wanna give too many things burst bomb), alongside Kraken Royale, to encourage the weapon to go in and fight things with a Kraken as a backup to turn bad situations around. The Splatoon 1 kit is just too fun not to bring back, and they completely ignored it in this game for some reason :(

Let's play a game!

Nintendo has asked you to pick out 3 weapons that you think deserve a third kit, and pick out a new sub and special weapon for them. What weapons do you choose, what kits, and why?

I'll go first!

Dapple Dualies: this weapon has been screwed over kit-wise ever since it got introduced in Splatoon 2. It has never had a kit where both the sub and special work for it, and thus has never been worth using over other, better options. That's why I'm giving it Burst Bomb, to give it ranged poking potential, but also as a way to paint under your feet and practically give yourself another little "dash" that you can use before rolling at an enemy. Alongside that, I'll give it its Ink Storm back that it had in Splatoon 2. Now that the special has healing properties, the dapples can throw the storm, and then run in through the storm to keep the user in the fight longer, which its shorter dodge rolls sometimes struggle to do for it.

Dread Wringer: a weapon with BIG potential, that will otherwise never get the chance to realize it. Both the kits it has right now aren't terrible design-wise, but the parts of the kits are very underpowered and I don't expect that to ever change. So I'm giving it Torpedo, as a somewhat cheap bomb that the Wringer can use to easily weaken or finish off opponents combined with the potential 90-damage sloshes. I fear burst bomb would be a little too overpowered, but Torpedo would be the perfect balance. With this, I'll also give it Super Chumps. The special is slightly undertuned, however the Dread Wringer would make great use of the slight chip damage the chumps provide, and the chumps would also provide cover/meatshields that the weapon desperately needs to make up for its slightly slower kill time and less consistent damage compared to other sloshers.

FInally, Jet Squelcher: one of the most fun shooters in the game, turned into a paint spammer because of its boring kits. This thing deserves something fun and aggressive, so I'm referencing the days of old by giving it Fizzy Bomb, as a chip-damage treat (and since I don't wanna give too many things burst bomb), alongside Kraken Royale, to encourage the weapon to go in and fight things with a Kraken as a backup to turn bad situations around. The Splatoon 1 kit is just too fun not to bring back, and they completely ignored it in this game for some reason :(
Alright here goes!

First up Tenta Brella. I know it has a solid kit in the game already, but it's my main so it deserves a third kit :p. And I'm sick of the Devs rarely giving lethal bombs to non-shooters. Therefore this kit will have splash bomb for its sub. This will help it tremendously with getting splash damage it so desperately needs while fighting, plus also being the perfect get-off-me in combination with the shield. For the special, I'd give it wave breaker. It once again helps with splash damage, but also locates enemies which is very helpful as fights can get a bit tough to oversee with such a big shield. If needed your shield can even protect the wave breaker from enemy attacks.

Up next, Rapid Blaster Pro! I feel like this weapon got 2 quite conservative kits, which are both more support oriented. They are not bad, but I'd like to give it some more offensive options as well. For the sub that would be suction bomb for the get-off-me factor. For the special, I think Tenta Missiles would be nice and actually not oppressive. The weapon paints terribly so spamming would be difficult, on the other hand missiles would allow it to combo off the splash damage via pincher manoeuvres. Those would be great to pull off because of the weapons splash damage and range.

Lastly, Sploosh-o-matic got such a garbage second kit that it also deserves another. That second kit just lacks oomph. Especially in this installment where there is very little map to move around, it is simply always a sitting duck. For the sub, I'd propose auto bomb to have something to do when you're opponent is at a distance. It also creates a bit of chaos, which is what this weapon likes. Then for the special: big bubbler. I know this special is regarded as not very good, but for this weapon it could be interesting as it often likes to sneak into the enemy base which is perfect for big bubbler. Next to that it can also defend the big bubbler very well given its short-range capabilities.

That's em for me. Especially the latter 2 are experimental and I'm not sure how well they would work but they definitely would open up new options.

Let's play a game!

/cue Easy Allies podcast music and dancing Bloodworth

You already took two of my choices. Although my inclination would be to lift up underserved weapons, I don't play enough to know which ones those are or what they need. Sticking to weapons I have experience with, I'd take Dread Wringer with Torpedo and Super Chump! Have never had a weapon with either, so those attacks would be new and interesting to experience from the other side.

For Jet Squelcher my goal would be to make the weapon slightly better but not popular. I don't like playing popular weapons, especially backliners, as the days of finding myself in double and triple Explosher teams immediately after the last update taught me. I'd rather the Hydra gets an awful second kit in order to avoid a repeat of that scenario. An aggressive approach with Fizzy Bomb and Kraken would be really cool with zero risk of returning us to the Splatoon 2 state of Squelcher dominance. If I wanted to live a bit closer to that edge, I'd pick Killer Wail 5.1 to confirm kills where otherwise opponents dodge away before the 4th shot. Wave Breaker would be the safer, still synergistic alternative. And as much as Burst Bomb would delight me, for the greater health of the game I'll go with the less harmful Curling Bomb for the sub weapon, which again helps with chasing down fleeing wounded targets, cut off escape routes pre-engagement, or set up mind games in the approach.

That leaves only two weapons I main - or tries to, anyway - which have already received a second kit and of those .96 Gal's problem is with the weapon itself. Heavy Splatling hasn't been hard done by its kits, honestly, but I'm down for a remix with Squid Beakons for anchoring yourself just before you decide to go for the flanking splatling surprise play and Big Bubbler for temporary Charger immunity.

is the 52 Gal known to be an absolute monster...lol I was having trouble finding my footing in this game until I tried this weapon... that two tap...

It was perhaps the single most dominant meta weapon of 2 and has always been my favorite shooter, kits aren't as strong this game but very much still a top-tier weapon

I have no clue if these players are on Famiboards or not, but for the heck of it. Today in some online matches, I felt there was a friendly and good rivalry between me and some players called FEELCAT and Georgi. I don't have that often that in online sessions with strangers, but I'd like to give them kudos.

Note that the squidbagging from my part was mostly friendly and fun intend. I know it may seem disrespectful, and I wanna let the world know I don't usually do it, but I didn't mean it that way. 😅

Note that the squidbagging from my part was mostly friendly and fun intend. I know it may seem disrespectful, and I wanna let the world know I don't usually do it, but I didn't mean it that way. 😅
Sure - I also like to call random Splatoon 3 players "friends". Makes my squidbagging totally excusable.

jk 🙃

I will never get why you lose Special Charge when you die. Punishing the losing team for dying cuz of Spawn Camping while the attackers spams you with specials constantly is really dumb -w-

Also, Bonerattle Arena is pretty neat but after 1 King Salmonid (that gave me 13 Bronze, literally the stupidest reward system in HISTORY) I think I am done with the mode. I have played way too much of it in both games

I will never get why you lose Special Charge when you die. Punishing the losing team for dying cuz of Spawn Camping while the attackers spams you with specials constantly is really dumb -w-

Also, Bonerattle Arena is pretty neat but after 1 King Salmonid (that gave me 13 Bronze, literally the stupidest reward system in HISTORY) I think I am done with the mode. I have played way too much of it in both games

This is about Tacticooler but I think it gets into why special depletion is important for balance. Someone respawning is usually already going to have a height advantage, plus the team getting the wipeout likely also used some of their specials in the process so coming back to a barrage of opposing specials is bound to feel pretty bad. (Not to mention that after respawning a solo queue team would also be a lot more coordinated than the team that just did the wipeout).

If special saver was always 100%, it'd also obviously lead to many, many more specials being used throughout the game, plus death would feel a lot less meaningful because losing special is one of the main punishments for actually dying.

Plus outside of a wipeout, killing someone who has a special is the only way to actually deal with strats based around specials. Someone's doing Kraken cheese? You gotta kill the Kraken user before they can pop it, but if they respawned with full special gauge it'd take away much of that counterplay.

Also yeah scales are so stingy... at least the Octoling gear is only Bronzes which is easier to get but it's so many of them...

This is about Tacticooler but I think it gets into why special depletion is important for balance. Someone respawning is usually already going to have a height advantage, plus the team getting the wipeout likely also used some of their specials in the process so coming back to a barrage of opposing specials is bound to feel pretty bad. (Not to mention that after respawning a solo queue team would also be a lot more coordinated than the team that just did the wipeout).

If special saver was always 100%, it'd also obviously lead to many, many more specials being used throughout the game, plus death would feel a lot less meaningful because losing special is one of the main punishments for actually dying.

Plus outside of a wipeout, killing someone who has a special is the only way to actually deal with strats based around specials. Someone's doing Kraken cheese? You gotta kill the Kraken user before they can pop it, but if they respawned with full special gauge it'd take away much of that counterplay.

Also yeah scales are so stingy... at least the Octoling gear is only Bronzes which is easier to get but it's so many of them...

The Scale rewards are just awful. It's literally been over a year since I got a gold, hah. I would be way more upset if I actually wanted most of the rewards, but... I do deem it a very broken reward. I will not bring for the Octoling Gear tho. It is not worth it, I can't even afford one piece.

And hm. I suppose some of those things makes sense, but it sure never feels like having a high ground is a good thing in this game. With how easy it is to be permanently spawn camped. The stage designs just don't seem to do a lot to let you make a comeback. Since there are rarely any paths to take. At least if I kept my special when I died, I'd be able to do SOMETHING when I return.
Rather than be killed over and over by a E-Liter who, very consistently for me, just ruins every match by sitting in the middle of the stage and one-shotting everyone over and over.

Remove the Chargers and Ninja Squid from the game (please) and make Bombs cost more, and then I'm sure the Special thing would be less annoying, cuz way too many matches in this game ends with you just dying constantly by your spawn by a endless barrage of snipers, bombs and specials.

I don't really like how overtuned everything feels in this game, haha.

After hundred-percenting Side Order, my ranking of the series’ final boss themes:

Fly Octo Fly > Spectrum Obligato > Calamari Inkantation 3MIX, Calamari Inkantation (Original) >Spicy Calamari Inkantation > Short Order.

Still like all of them, and I get that Short Order is meant to be sort of a joke.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom