• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
when the DLC came out I initially said I wouldn't do multiple playthroughs with the other weapons... guess who has done 9 runs now lmao. the more I play the more sucked in I get, though I've only encountered one new unique floor that I haven't seen yet so far.
The only thing I don't like that much is sometimes when it's the splat zones challenges that have the ink balloons and there's a bunch of battering lentos in conjunction with the drizzling capriccioso's and then they have the danger challenge of no item drops AND no pearl drone...

Haven't played much of side order, but something I'd like to see in Splatoon 4 is single player stuff have some contribution to online? Not sure how controversial that would be

I'm a somewhat casual player, and I feel like if I'm spending this time doing the single player stuff, I'm missing out on "progress" for the online stuff - money, catalog increase, rank, exp, etc... I'd like to see solo play have some contribution towards that
I had the same thought that it would be nice if doing runs in Side Order was another way to level up the catalog. Not a multiplayer game, but Honkai: Star Rail has a roguelite side mode with a lot of rewards for the main game (and not just one time rewards). Being able to get catalog exp, or even earn meal tickets from playing Side Order would be a nice incentive to return for a couple runs here and there. It wouldn't help for people who feel Side Order is lacking in variety, but it would improve the overall variety of the game to have another option for grinding during a season.

Reached level 30 with the Big Man palette and lost on the 3rd wave. Stuff got too overwhelming, so I decided to take the L and give it another go another day with different drone weapons. Ink mine really didn't help much at all.
When you feel like giving bucket another go, a build focused on sub ink efficiency did very well for me (I could throw 6 suction bombs from 1 full ink tank at the end!)

When you feel like giving bucket another go, a build focused on sub ink efficiency did very well for me (I could throw 6 suction bombs from 1 full ink tank at the end!)
The tricky part for me (no matter the weapon) is when the boss starts shooting ink lasers. I like to have a ring of my own ink around the outer section, but when you die, all ink clears, and if the boss pulls the lasers out first, it’s quick death.

The tricky part for me (no matter the weapon) is when the boss starts shooting ink lasers. I like to have a ring of my own ink around the outer section, but when you die, all ink clears, and if the boss pulls the lasers out first, it’s quick death.
I'd stay underneath the boss during that time. I also never take down the first two layers if I can. The boss only does the wave breaker attack if you're in the innermost layer that's still alive.

I’d much rather Splatoon (or any Nintendo game for that matter) stay peer-to-peer rather than have dedicated servers. Dedicated servers are more likely to be shut down sooner, and, if I’m not mistaken, I believe they’re harder to get working on fan-made servers than peer-to-peer for when the online service is inevitably shut down.

I get the general feeling behind this, but there's no actual correlation between a game being P2P or having dedicated servers and those getting shut down earlier. Dedicated servers might be a bit more resource intensive to run, but for a game like Splatoon, there might be not much of a difference on Nintendo's end. Reminder that Tetris 99, Super Mario 35 and F-Zero 99 do run on dedicated servers, and they seem to be holding up fine.

The point about them being harder to replicate by fan-made infrastructure when they go offline is however spot on. However, communities working on private servers for games are usually impressive on the kind of stuff they pull off, so I don't think this is a problem at this point, honestly.

Also, games with dedicated servers tend to not have offline local wireless modes, and I’d hate to lose local wireless for Splatoon.

That's honestly more devs skipping those than anything else. There's no reason why a game with dedicated servers would not have offline local wireless.

My point here is that, the choice here is "underperforming multiplayer but easily preservable" vs "better multiplayer that might take more work to get running once online is down". I'd honestly take the latter.

I could have gotten a lot more playtime out of this if the balance wasn't so out of whack. It really does get too easy. I absolutely loved what I played but I'm not motivated to do no-hack runs cause you don't unlock anything for it. I feel like I should at least be doing salmon run for catalog exp/rewards.

Last edited:
Damn look at those dualies spin

The victory animations have become my favorite subtle addition to 3, there are so so many of them now and the fist bumps were such a clever idea.

I’d much rather Splatoon (or any Nintendo game for that matter) stay peer-to-peer rather than have dedicated servers. Dedicated servers are more likely to be shut down sooner, and, if I’m not mistaken, I believe they’re harder to get working on fan-made servers than peer-to-peer for when the online service is inevitably shut down. Also, games with dedicated servers tend to not have offline local wireless modes, and I’d hate to lose local wireless for Splatoon.
I get the general feeling behind this, but there's no actual correlation between a game being P2P or having dedicated servers and those getting shut down earlier. Dedicated servers might be a bit more resource intensive to run, but for a game like Splatoon, there might be not much of a difference on Nintendo's end. Reminder that Tetris 99, Super Mario 35 and F-Zero 99 do run on dedicated servers, and they seem to be holding up fine.

The point about them being harder to replicate by fan-made infrastructure when they go offline is however spot on. However, communities working on private servers for games are usually impressive on the kind of stuff they pull off, so I don't think this is a problem at this point, honestly.

That's honestly more devs skipping those than anything else. There's no reason why a game with dedicated servers would not have offline local wireless.

My point here is that, the choice here is "underperforming multiplayer but easily preservable" vs "better multiplayer that might take more work to get running once online is down". I'd honestly take the latter.
A game with dedicated servers and local wireless would theoretically be easier to preserve, as you'd be able to poke more into what the server is actually doing thanks to the local wireless mode (the sensible way to develop a local wireless mode for a game that relies on dedicated servers instead of P2P would be to have one Switch act as the server, similar to how P2P works now). And if all else falls short, you could likely tunnel the local wireless mode.

That said, preservation in general is set to take a bit of a turn next gen. The current scene doesn't expect the new hardware to be easily broken into, and suspects it may just not happen. It might still happen with mod chips, but even then the higher barrier of entry will result in a much smaller scene. Fan servers can theoretically get around this with custom DNS servers to redirect from the official game servers instead of using proper mods, but it'll be much harder to develop said servers in the first place.

Cleared it twice yesterday. Thanks for all the advice :D

94o8szj.jpeg

H49o8Sf.jpeg

I freaking love Frye's beef with Inkopolis/Pearl.

2laZ3s8.jpeg
wdVkbUe.jpeg

bsy2Is3.jpeg
Px7wuCG.jpeg

And clueless Marina is adorable:

pswkNXb.jpeg

Despite stopping playing Splatoon 2 less than two years ago, I felt nostalgia for it. Lots of warm and fuzzy feelings by being in Inkopolis Square and listening to its music (and stores). I guess spending more the 4000 hours in S2 had its effects :p

Side Order finale was nowhere near Octo Expansion amazingness, but it was good :)

Tetris 99, Super Mario Bros. 35, and F-Zero 99 also don’t have local wireless play, despite being multiplayer Nintendo games and Nintendo is usually pretty good about that, and that’s a big disappointment with those games. Is it really just a coincidence that hardly any (if any at all—can you name any? Because I can’t think of any that I’m aware of, besides Minecraft I guess) online multiplayer games with dedicated servers also have local wireless support, or is there some reason that leads developers to skip out on local wireless support for these kind of games? I value local wireless much more than online play (regardless of whether it’s peer-to-peer or dedicated servers) because it’s the only way you’ll be able to play those multiplayer modes again without a modded system once the servers shut down. And even with a modded system there’s no guarantee that the online functionality will be restored by fans, plus that requires the system to be hackable in the first place, which, as @Jersh pointed out, may not even happen with the next generation.

Also, I can’t say I really take much issue with Nintendo’s peer-to-peer online games. They seem very comparable to the dedicated server 99 games to me in terms of performance. 🤷

Second clear done, this time with Marie's palette. Got close to wiping on the final boss, but pulled it off right as it was starting to fire the ever-deadly lasers.

Not that I don't believe Splatoon hasn't always had pretty amazing music but it feels funny to go back to the first game's soundtrack and listening to its bevy of tracks that spawned all of the "Splatoon fans when they hear someone gurgling piss" memes (which certainly wasn't helped by some of the weak-ass remixes it got in Smash Bros.)

And now listening to Side Order music which at times sounds like a PS1-era OST being remixed by Oneohtrix Point Never or some shit

Tetris 99, Super Mario Bros. 35, and F-Zero 99 also don’t have local wireless play, despite being multiplayer Nintendo games and Nintendo is usually pretty good about that, and that’s a big disappointment with those games.
Switch local wireless is capped to 8 systems; devs can't use more if they wanted to. I don't recall where I've read that (and the hard proof is likely under NDA); however, if you want soft proof, the Shoal in Splatoon 2/3 is limited to 8 systems in local wireless while it supports 10 over LAN (8 players, 2 spectators). While 8 is likely a cautiously low limit, my guess is it wouldn't scale well to 35 systems, let alone 99; too much wireless traffic in the same space. Wireless bandwidth goes down fast as you increase devices, because devices cannot transmit at the same time.

These games don't support non-full matches as a design choice, so there's no reason to include a local wireless mode. You could in theory do LAN, but LAN is kind of an unspoken thing on the Switch; Nintendo even hides it in their menus. Yes, it'd be good for preservation, but the reality (on the Switch) is that devs don't value LAN if they're not already using local wireless, because almost no one takes advantage of LAN.

Is it really just a coincidence that hardly any (if any at all—can you name any? Because I can’t think of any that I’m aware of, besides Minecraft I guess) online multiplayer games with dedicated servers also have local wireless support, or is there some reason that leads developers to skip out on local wireless support for these kind of games?
It's not a coincidence as much as it is common factors at play. For one, Nintendo has been averse to dedicated servers, only using them in games where P2P play is just not feasible due to player count - which is the same reason local wireless isn't feasible.

Third parties are less scared of dedicated servers, but they also just rarely implement local wireless in general, servers or not. But similarly, the need for servers goes up as player count does, so there's similar biases at play. There's nothing preventing an 8-player (or lower) game from utilizing dedicated servers and local wireless, though; Rocket League's done both on the Switch since 2017.

Switch local wireless is capped to 8 systems; devs can't use more if they wanted to. I don't recall where I've read that (and the hard proof is likely under NDA); however, if you want soft proof, the Shoal in Splatoon 2/3 is limited to 8 systems in local wireless while it supports 10 over LAN (8 players, 2 spectators). While 8 is likely a cautiously low limit, my guess is it wouldn't scale well to 35 systems, let alone 99; too much wireless traffic in the same space. Wireless bandwidth goes down fast as you increase devices, because devices cannot transmit at the same time.

These games don't support non-full matches as a design choice, so there's no reason to include a local wireless mode. You could in theory do LAN, but LAN is kind of an unspoken thing on the Switch; Nintendo even hides it in their menus. Yes, it'd be good for preservation, but the reality (on the Switch) is that devs don't value LAN if they're not already using local wireless, because almost no one takes advantage of LAN.
I mean, I wouldn’t expect 99 players to be supported via local wireless anyway. But there’s no reason why they couldn’t offer the option to play with 8 players via local wireless plus 91 CPUs. They literally have a one player versus 99 CPU mode in Tetris 99’s DLC, after all. It just strikes me as very odd that these games with dedicated servers are some of the few multiplayer Nintendo games that don’t feature local multiplayer as well when it would make a lot of sense to do so. But yeah, I guess you’re probably right that it mostly comes down to Nintendo being the only one who really cares much about local wireless and other developers usually just don’t bother, unfortunately. Still, why don’t the 99 games support it then when they totally could, even if just for 8 players?

i cant believe the relatively negative reception side order has had. for me, this is easily the most fun i've ever had in splatoon, and that's coming from someone who LOVED octo expansion.

i just feel like the core gameplay idea of [roguelite + splatoon's unique mechanics] is a stroke of genius... so original and so addicting. Now that they have developed an extremely solid foundation, i hope this becomes the next permanent side mode a la Salmon Run, such that it gets developed and fleshed out with new titles. i'll be really sad if they just abandon the concept, there is soooo much potential.

outside of the gameplay, its also visually stunning and perhaps my favourite looking content on switch. the story is a little lackluster when compared to OE and doesnt have the level of lore found in alterna, but its still serviceable and full of lovely off the hook moments.

i will say, now that i've completed what it has to offer, i wish they would have added some kind of simple post-game incentive to keep going. it would be easy to add new weapon kits (a custom kit is a no brainer) and new levels.

I wanted to do a number of runs before talking about Side Order. I now have 3 full clears, SO reminded me why I love the sniper and splatana lol. So its really fun, I really am enjoying my time with it. Layouts bring and interesting challenge, music is great, the vibes are next level. Enemies are very interesting, there is a boss that is trash (in both a good and bad way).

If I were to point to something that needs work, it would be the chip rng early on, cause you can get some lame ones and might not result in an interesting run. Difficulty is an interesting topic because, sure it could use some tweaking, I think the level design is what makes some areas really difficult. Defending in Rigorous is almost impossible sometimes. But yeah very fun dlc.

It's not a coincidence as much as it is common factors at play. For one, Nintendo has been averse to dedicated servers, only using them in games where P2P play is just not feasible due to player count - which is the same reason local wireless isn't feasible.

Third parties are less scared of dedicated servers, but they also just rarely implement local wireless in general, servers or not. But similarly, the need for servers goes up as player count does, so there's similar biases at play. There's nothing preventing an 8-player (or lower) game from utilizing dedicated servers and local wireless, though; Rocket League's done both on the Switch since 2017.
I mean, I wouldn’t expect 99 players to be supported via local wireless anyway. But there’s no reason why they couldn’t offer the option to play with 8 players via local wireless plus 91 CPUs. They literally have a one player versus 99 CPU mode in Tetris 99’s DLC, after all. It just strikes me as very odd that these games with dedicated servers are some of the few multiplayer Nintendo games that don’t feature local multiplayer as well when it would make a lot of sense to do so. But yeah, I guess you’re probably right that it mostly comes down to Nintendo being the only one who really cares much about local wireless and other developers usually just don’t bother, unfortunately. Still, why don’t the 99 games support it then when they totally could, even if just for 8 players?

The big reason third party games usually don't bother with local wireless is not the reliance in dedicated servers, but the fact no other platform really has an standardized, equivalent option. Adding local wireless would be a Switch-specific development, and a lot of them don't see it as an expense worth the sales it would bring, especially given they likely already feature split screen multiplayer since that's more of an all platforms thing.

Tetris is the only one to support bots, but any way of playing with real people requires 99 real people; it's the point of the game at the end of the day. I can't give the reason they didn't develop it as I wasn't there, but it likely came down to not seeing it as a mode with much appeal. (F-Zero is also the only one to be developed by Nintendo, and NST isn't your typical Nintendo dev team.)

I assure you, there's no technical reason local wireless and dedicated servers are incompatible; under the hood, local wireless would work by having the host Switch spawn a server process that performs the functions of the server for the local wireless network. This is actually already done to an extent in Nintendo's P2P system, even online; the host machine just doesn't do as much as it would if the netcode were designed around a server system.

I am... Definitely surprised Springfest isn't next month given the leaked theming but lining it up with cherry blossom festivals makes sense.

Team Keyboard all the way.

(Also, I'm glad we get a normal fest between the release of Side Order and a special fest, for reasons.)

If keyboard was piano, I’d go with that because of my love of Billy Joel, but it’s not, so guitar it is!
But pianos have keyboards and keyboards can synthesize piano!

(This is actually something that bugs me, keyboard is SO broad even next to guitar, it can look like and sound like almost anything. It covers synths, drum machines, pianos, everything.)

My only free time yesterday was during the server maintenance, so I ended up doing 3 more runs.

PKcHpyk.jpeg

GyvjWWW.jpeg

8jwQvpk.jpeg

The Order Charger run was incredibly fun, it was like using a Grizzco charger + auto aiming + instant ink recovery.
The Order Shot run was also fun because the Trizooka was available basically every few seconds.
I freaking LOVE being OP as early as possible.

How did you get +900 Prlz, @Magnet_Man? 😭

If I were to point to something that needs work, it would be the chip rng early on, cause you can get some lame ones and might not result in an interesting run.
I very agree with this. I wish there was a way to get certain chips for sure at the start, as it would make earlier floors not a chore to play. By the time I was truly enjoying both charger and shot runs, I only had like 5 floors left.

How did you get +900 Prlz, @Magnet_Man? 😭
There's hacks to increase your Membux rewards, and in the final tally you get Membux on how many lives you have left so use hacks to increase your lives. I also use the vending machines to buy more chips when possible but I only do that in the 10F and beyond and only when I have at least 2500 bux, so I can shuffle the machine and still have enough to buy three copies

And Risky Rewards can add to that at the end. Even with all the hacks reducing the bonus to 1.1, that's another 90-100 Prlz

Last edited:
There's hacks to increase your Membux rewards, and in the final tally you get Membux on how many lives you have left so use hacks to increase your lives. I also use the vending machines to buy more chips when possible but I only do that in the 10F and beyond and only when I have at least 2500 bux, so I can shuffle the machine and still have enough to buy three copies

And Risky Rewards can add to that at the end. Even with all the hacks reducing the bonus to 1.1, that's another 90-100 Prlz

Thanks! :D
I'll try to follow this during my next run.

With the start of the new season, i tried out the recycled brella and uh, i really like this weapon?

This thing isn't replacing Sorella for me (for whenever i decide i don't want to win games anymore and play a brella because i like them), it doesn't have a sub and i don't really like Bubbler with it, even though it has synergy, but the main weapon itself is actually quite good.

It's a very aggressive weapon, and it can actually kill shit, I love it.

However, it not having a bomb of any form hurts it a lot, the weapon is very ink hungry (in fact, it feels more Ink hungry than the regular brella? not certain on that, but it sure felt that way) and it can't really paint very well by itself, but i can see this weapon being viable under competitive play.

Though, with it existing and doing 90 damage max, i no longer see Nintendo removing the damage nerfs from the regular brella (Splat Brella used to do 90 damage on Splatoon 2, where it got nerfed to do 81 damage at the end of the life of that game, with that nerf alongside many others, essentially killing the weapon, and it was brought back under that state into Splatoon 3, where it remains mostly untouched, with the only reverted nerf being an ink effiency nerf, and that's a recent development), and that sucks because that weapon is still not viable, the ink effiency buff helped the weapon, but it's still too crippled to succeed in this game.

But hey, the new thing is pretty good at least, hopefully it will get a more aggressive kit in 3 months to better match it's playstyle.

I'm prepared for this to be my entire first two weeks.
I swear, sometimes it feels impossible to enjoy the new content when lobbies during the first few weeks of a season largely consist of people who have made it their life's purpose to sweat tf out of this game. It feels like I have to choose between missing out on the initial hype (and rotations that actually have the new map), or tanking my rank when having to unlock X battles again each season is already enough of a pain.

First impressions of Marlin Airport Turf Wars and Splat Zones: 👎🏻
It's sniper heaven. I haven't been able to earn a victory in the map yet, and it's all on charger players.
And it's so easy to ambush near spawn :/

Also, I hadn't played Turf Wars in ~2 months (outside of the Splatfest) and HOLY FREAKING COW is it slow and feels bad and makes me think I am not a good player anymore.

In before skill issue ;P

Last edited:
Bonerattle is gonna be insane for egg farming. Everything is so close to the basket, and you always have multiple paths thanks to the ink rails

Something's off about Marlin Airport Splat Zones, I'd agree. I need more time to either figure out what it is or click with whatever it is, because on the face of it the layout feels good walking around. Maybe it's the first time Splatoon 3 makes the case that a map can be too large? At least the tiny tiny zone is looking downright comical in comparison to the overall size. There's also something to be said for the need to funnel players to an extend in order to keep the barest semblance of unit cohesion in solo queue with randoms.

Last edited:
But pianos have keyboards and keyboards can synthesize piano!

(This is actually something that bugs me, keyboard is SO broad even next to guitar, it can look like and sound like almost anything. It covers synths, drum machines, pianos, everything.)
This is partly why I'm happy they phrased the question as what you'd prefer to play, not what sound you like best. The broadness is part of the appeal, but it's not some silver bullet unless that actually does appeal to you. A drummer isn't gonna pick keyboard just because it has drum machines and can do other things too; they like drumming. Guitars also have a unique appeal in how portable they are relative to the other instruments; keyboards and pianos require the most setup by comparison (even if you have a light MIDI keyboard and laptop, you still need a setup to actually get decent sound out of it).

I'm prepared for this to be my entire first two weeks.
I legit do not touch X or Series the first two weeks of the season. It can put you in such a deep hole that's hard to dig yourself out of.
This is partly why I'm happy they phrased the question as what you'd prefer to play, not what sound you like best. The broadness is part of the appeal, but it's not some silver bullet unless that actually does appeal to you. A drummer isn't gonna pick keyboard just because it has drum machines and can do other things too; they like drumming. Guitars also have a unique appeal in how portable they are relative to the other instruments; keyboards and pianos require the most setup by comparison (even if you have a light MIDI keyboard and laptop, you still need a setup to actually get decent sound out of it).
See, you've given this actual thought. My reason is much simpler: I cannot be a slut to capitalism and GAS with drums. I can with guitar and keyboard.

Guitar gear is cheaper than synth gear, therefore I have more money. More money = more gear. New gear = more dopamine. More dopamine = more gooder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom