• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bonerattle Arena combines the besieged feeling of Lost Outpost with the rail riding of Ark Polaris to great success.

The only downside is that while the ink rails mitigate the problem of dick-riding Big Shot cannons, at the same time they turn everyone into shore huggers even if there aren't any Big Shots around.

I legit do not touch X or Series the first two weeks of the season. It can put you in such a deep hole that's hard to dig yourself out of.

No joke, there hasn't been a season where I didn't dip into -1000 first before reaching X Rank later. A wiser person would indeed stick to Open, but the lure of the right new map/mode combination in Series plus testing new weapons immediately is too strong.

010.jpg

Good god, the choices for splatfests have really turned in to garbage.

It's a foodfest, pretty standard fare. Do people not remember how 'foodie' Fests were in 1 and 2?

And that's before we start on the annoyance of sponsored Fests.
The Splatfest they're quoting is a sponsored fest, as it so happens.

ZUNHl05.png

I don't see the overreaction, it's not even the one we're getting in the west.

It is a little odd that they didn't just make it a different set of chip flavors for the rest of the world

Including this one, 3 of the last 4 splatfests in the Japanese region will have been "foodfests"
The first three ever Japanese Splatfests in Splatoon 1 were all food related. Splatoon 2 also had a close proximity "three out of four" foodfest in Japan, with the Chocorooms vs Chococones, Tsubuan vs Koshian, and Pocky Chocolate vs Pocky Gockuboso.

None of this is new.

Order Umbrella is good at inking turf, but I swear I pump a million gallons of ink into someone at close range and they just shrug it off. Going back to the Neo Splash-O-Matic. 😅

Something's off about Marlin Airport Splat Zones, I'd agree. I need more time to either figure out what it is or click with whatever it is, because on the face of it the layout feels good walking around. Maybe it's the first time Splatoon 3 makes the case that a map can be too large? At least the tiny tiny zone is looking downright comical in comparison to the overall size. There's also something to be said for the need to funnel players to an extend in order to keep the barest semblance of unit cohesion in solo queue with randoms.
The map seems big enough, but the elevator platform makes it so easy for chargers, Hydra and rollers to spawn camp because it's so close to the starting area. What's the point of such a big map if you can't get out? That's the main struggle I noticed yesterday.

I legit do not touch X or Series the first two weeks of the season. It can put you in such a deep hole that's hard to dig yourself out of.

No joke, there hasn't been a season where I didn't dip into -1000 first before reaching X Rank later. A wiser person would indeed stick to Open, but the lure of the right new map/mode combination in Series plus testing new weapons immediately is too strong.
So, should I skip X rank for now? 😅

The map seems big enough, but the elevator platform makes it so easy for chargers, Hydra and rollers to spawn camp because it's so close to the starting area. What's the point of such a big map if you can't get out? That's the main struggle I noticed yesterday.

So, should I skip X rank for now? 😅
If X Power and placement are important to you, yes. It's a bloodbath the first few weeks. You're in the mix with everybody at/a little below your skill level, all the way to Top 500 level players because everybody has to get properly calibrated and put back where they should be.

Otherwise, just play! It's cool to challenge yourself and force yourself to get better by playing with better people.

is the 52 Gal known to be an absolute monster...lol I was having trouble finding my footing in this game until I tried this weapon... that two tap...

What do you mean? I don't see where I was flexed on.

I feel what @Raccoon means (And he can correct and dunk on me if I'm wrong) is that this thread does feel a bit rough to deal with if you're a more casual player sometimes.

We have a bunch of amazing, high level Splatoon players in Fami (Which honestly is super cool! I'm proud of that!) sharing experiences and cool clips and results, and discussing a meta a lot of players aren't even going to smell at any point, and sometimes this gets to you. Mind you, not accusing anyone of anything, I don't think anyone comes here to call everyone below Rank X a peasant and default dance on their cephalopod corpses. It's just hard to follow the discussion from down here sometimes.

I for example have been pretty open about playing a lot less Splatoon 3 than 2 because I deal badly with FOMO and the catalog is terrible for me, the two seasons I actually got to level 100 it was an exhausting experience. Coming here and seeing people that got to level 600 is brutal. And yes, I'm aware, it's not a dunk on me or anything, and people should have the right to celebrate their achievements, and maybe I'm petty for feeling this way; but it still feels bad.

I'm not sure there's an easy solution for this, honestly.

Unless!!

we form a Famiscrub Squid School or something and go on a Disney Channel Movie-like quest to win the nationals with several training montages thrown in and a love triangle subplot snuck in for good measure.

I apologize.
This is my favorite thread and the main reason I post on Famiboards, it is the only Splatoon community I am part of. I promise you I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I'll take a break from sharing videos and pics.

I apologize.
This is my favorite thread and the main reason I post on Famiboards, it is the only Splatoon community I am part of. I promise you I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I'll take a break from sharing videos and pics.

Don't apologize, seriously. You didn't intend to do anything wrong here, and at no point I got the impression you were intentionally trying to put anyone down. This is on our insecure brains' side more than anything.

Coming into this thread to talk about how I finally reached (but didn't beat) Floor 20 in Side Order for what I believe was the first time when there's a discussion about skill levels is funny to me. I think I'm on a whole other level. Somewhere in the basement of the skill hierarchy. It's dark down here, but I'm not unhappy.

I'm appreciating Side Order more the more I play. It's encouraging me to try different weapons to get more keys, which means I'm getting exposed to them more than I had during the campaigns. The chips and challenges also influence how I play, which are getting me to experiment more with weapons and learn about them. I also am learning more about Side Order itself. (How did I only recently realize the icons on the left side of the stage list tell you the objective type??)

At this point, I'm still unsure which weapon will be the first one I clear it with, as the weapon I'd previously done the worst with now is my best run. I'm also unsure what it'll take for me to beat it. I keep accumulating hacks, which I think is helping, and I wonder how close to "maxed out" I'll be when I finally clear the tower.

Spent most of today just slowly 100%ing Side Order. Going to save what I believe should be the final story run with Eight's palette for tomorrow night. After that, it's just getting enough Prlz to buy everything and hoping luck is on my side to max out the colored chip info. I like the additional story beats that result from completing the tower with each weapon; it's a nice, extra incentive to continue playing the mode. I do wish that there were more bosses, though. Would have been nice if there were an assortment of at least five or so really mix things up and add to the randomness of each run.

Last edited:
The primary pitfall in Bonerattle is that the area around the basket is extremely small, so any salmonids there can quickly become overwhelming. However, you have so many options for escaping, even in high tide, that it shouldn't ever become a no-win scenario in the same way that Spawning Grounds high-tide, Marooner's Bay high tide, and Salmonid Smokeyard high tide can.

Splatfest spoilers

I've run out of sarcasm, this is either the most intense baiting I've seen in a long while or they're canon.

After some of the dialogue in side order I'm pretty sure they're canon without a shred of doubt. Like, I don't think we need anymore confirmation here.

Me and my girlfriend had a date planned today, but the weather is horrible and both of us were clearly not feeling it but not wanting to say it until, at the exact same time, we were looking out the window and both said “Do you wanna just play Splatoon?”

This is how Nintendo sold 11 million copies.

I know it's one of the more common complaints about the game but... does the Salmon Run stuff really need to be so stupidly expensive? 800 bronze per PIECE of the Octoleet gear is insane, how do they expect anyone who doesn't play hours of Salmon Run every day to complete that?

I know it's one of the more common complaints about the game but... does the Salmon Run stuff really need to be so stupidly expensive? 800 bronze per PIECE of the Octoleet gear is insane, how do they expect anyone who doesn't play hours of Salmon Run every day to complete that?

They cost so much because this is probably the last major salmon run shop update and there's years until Splatoon 4 in all likelihood. They're not supposed to be something you earn quickly

Side Order with the Agent 4 palette completed. This was the first run where I turned the Pearl drone into a mobile artillery unit. I was cackling with glee as some levels were completed in under 30 seconds.

I didn't realize until now, but every Big Run takes place closer and closer to the center of Splatsville.

Is it time for a Big Run in the main Splatsville hub next season?

They really need to fix spawn camping on some maps. I'm trying to learn a new weapon (the Brella which I never really liked, then enjoyed in Side Order), but not sure how I'm supposed to learn with Rollers and Enperry Dualies hiding in ink right outside our base to instakill us. :/

They really need to fix spawn camping on some maps. I'm trying to learn a new weapon (the Brella which I never really liked but then enjoyed in Side Order), but not sure how I'm supposed to learn with Rollers and Glooga Dualies hiding in ink right outside our base to instakill us. :/
Yeah, it's the kinda situation where the right thing to do is wait for your team to also respawn so you can take them on together, but that's impossible to coordinate with randoms, of course. It's worse in turf because if you get locked out in Ranked, at least it'll be over soon, but in turf you have to endure 2+ minutes of that...

Having wider spawns with more paths out could definitely go some ways in working around that, I think.

Yeah, it's the kinda situation where the right thing to do is wait for your team to also respawn so you can take them on together, but that's impossible to coordinate with randoms, of course. It's worse in turf because if you get locked out in Ranked, at least it'll be over soon, but in turf you have to endure 2+ minutes of that...

Having wider spawns with more paths out could definitely go some ways in working around that, I think.

It's tricky, I think, because the wider you make spawn, the less likely it is that the players respawning naturally stick together. You gotta herd them a little, because the more they get seperated, the easier they are to pick off by enemies who are sharking or in 2v1s. The ideal might be one main area with high ground, cover, and no blind one-way drop of death, and then a few alternative routes which are not immediately obvious, so the only players taking them would be players who were dedicated enough to study the map, which gives you a little more confidence they'd know what they're doing with a flank.

I finished side order with the final palette, and it was all great fun, but the ending felt kind of anticlimactic. Did I miss something? I thought I heard something about
an extra boss?

Anyway, it's fun enough that I'll probably play at least a bit more toward hundred percenting all the tiles, but probably peter out before I actually do.

Just beat Side Order and I quite enjoyed it, though I wish it had a bit more variety (especially with the stage layouts). Going to try and complete it with all the weapons.

Hoping this means Splatoon 4 has a more robust roguelite mode or maybe it gets spun-off into its own game.

Didn’t really play much of Splatoon 2. Just the campaign and some multiplayer/salmon run with the NSO free trial. Maybe it’s time to jump into Splatoon 3 multiplayer…

Coming into this thread to talk about how I finally reached (but didn't beat) Floor 20 in Side Order for what I believe was the first time when there's a discussion about skill levels is funny to me. I think I'm on a whole other level. Somewhere in the basement of the skill hierarchy. It's dark down here, but I'm not unhappy.

I'm appreciating Side Order more the more I play. It's encouraging me to try different weapons to get more keys, which means I'm getting exposed to them more than I had during the campaigns. The chips and challenges also influence how I play, which are getting me to experiment more with weapons and learn about them. I also am learning more about Side Order itself. (How did I only recently realize the icons on the left side of the stage list tell you the objective type??)

At this point, I'm still unsure which weapon will be the first one I clear it with, as the weapon I'd previously done the worst with now is my best run. I'm also unsure what it'll take for me to beat it. I keep accumulating hacks, which I think is helping, and I wonder how close to "maxed out" I'll be when I finally clear the tower.
I...beat it? First try with the Blaster took me all the way to the end. I think it's due to a mix of getting better and accumulating hacks. I believe Side Order gets more fun in the later stages as you get more powerful and the chaos grows. I suspect getting further each time is part of why I had more fun the more I played the mode.

Before beating it with the Blaster, I found the Stringer to be pretty fun and successful for me, ending up with a build that meant I was triggering my special and Pearl's abilities really frequently. I failed against the final boss's final phase before trying with the Blaster.

I may drop the game here, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I thought about quitting not too long ago, but I got over a hump and found my groove. (Speaking of groove, long live Splatoon's focus on music.)

For a new obvious detail I missed until very recently: you can use the elevator to exit a stage if you don't like it. I think this is useful for the random Danger conditions.

This is likely it for me and Splatoon 3, but I hope all you dedicated players enjoy the last seasons!

P.S.: Got some dialogue that I can only interpret as confirming Pearl X Marina. I don't follow Splatoon closely enough at all to have noticed any other dialogue suggesting this before, but now I definitely understand why people suggest their pairing.

P.P.S.: The completion reward is pretty cool and a nice conclusion for the Splatoon 3 package.

Last edited:
Lukewarm take here. With the addition of Bonerattle Arena I don't think we're in need of Ark Polaris anymore. My dev headcanon is they tried to port over AP but decided it wasn't a good fit with Splatoon 3's egg throwing and/or boss salmonids. They wanted to have a map with rail gimmicks still and thus Boneratte Arena was born. /tinfoil-hat

The map itself is great. I think there's a lot of room for skill expression with the rails and inkable walls while also being threatening with how cramped the basket spots can get. My first impression takeaway is that the risk/reward balance of the stage is very well done!

Last edited:
Finally completed my first Side Order run with the Brush of all things, but the biggest gain for me was swapping my Special to the Killer Wail and abusing the crap out of that.

Finally completed my first Side Order run with the Brush of all things, but the biggest gain for me was swapping my Special to the Killer Wail and abusing the crap out of that.
I'd be interested in hearing what your build was, because I tried the brush for the first time today, and while I got 20+ floors in, towards the end I was overwhelmed by enemies because the brush wasn't taking them out fast enough, and thus wiped on a splat zones floor.

Not the person you quoted but I had a cheesy clear with the Octobrush earlier, mostly relying on Ultra Stamp. I went for as much special charge up chips as I could including ones that charge your special while moving. Blue mobility chips, like the one that increases your movement speed while painting.

I had to keep reminding myself the brush can make quick getaways while painting the floor. Once I got that down I felt a lot more comfortable playing the weapon.

I don't remember the exact build, but I think I relied on building the Lucky chain chips for Canned Special item drops to constantly fire the Killer Wail, while using the Inkmines as my primary way to splat and build up the chain.

It actually wasn't until the end of the run I also remembered and actually really used the Brush's painting movement to dodge all the specials being thrown at you.

I'm finally done with Side Order. Finished runs with every palette, got most of the decorations that I want, even did a no hack run for that final palette (Canned Specials and charging special via movement were great chip buffs to have!). At this point it's just grinding to get the last few decorations, unlocking every hack, and getting the flavor text for the chips.

Game good!

Splatoon works really well as a roguelite and my only real complaint is that I want more of it. More floors! More bosses! More palettes! As it stands I really enjoyed what we have, though - a nice epilogue to Octo Expansion that does a good job of testing multiplayer fundamentals and helps me understand each weapon type over a prolonged series of challenges. I love Off the Hook, I love Acht, Eight is my favorite of the Splatoon protagonists and I'm glad they all got one really nice mode in.

I'd be interested in hearing what your build was, because I tried the brush for the first time today, and while I got 20+ floors in, towards the end I was overwhelmed by enemies because the brush wasn't taking them out fast enough, and thus wiped on a splat zones floor.
You should give rush attack up a go! If you stack enough of them you can take out hordes of jellotons by simply running over them. That was probably my most fun run I had.

Question: Is it possible that in mid season, that'll add another stage? I find it kinda weird that we'll only get 1 stage in this season, and makes me wonder if they plan the last few months/seasons with a stage per month, like that was the thing in Sploon 2, iirc.

Also, I believe we are about to get a third bow, as I've seen these hanging on Sheldon's shop, but haven't seen them in any weapons. If we still get new weapons next (last?) season, we about to get the second kit for that bow weapon aswell, I think. And if there is a third bow weapon, I assume there'll be a third Splatana weapon aswell?
1200px-S3_Ammo_Knights_interior_English2.jpg

And then I haven't mention the Sheldon picks or probability of Toni Kensa kits. Makes me wonder what Nintendo is gonna do with that.

Question: Is it possible that in mid season, that'll add another stage? I find it kinda weird that we'll only get 1 stage in this season, and makes me wonder if they plan the last few months/seasons with a stage per month, like that was the thing in Sploon 2, iirc.
I think it's much more likely that a stage this season and one next season was always the plan, as it rounds out the stage selection to exactly two pages of 12. This also means that they will have exactly doubled the stage count through updates.

Also, I believe we are about to get a third bow, as I've seen these hanging on Sheldon's shop, but haven't seen them in any weapons. If we still get new weapons next (last?) season, we about to get the second kit for that bow weapon aswell, I think. And if there is a third bow weapon, I assume there'll be a third Splatana weapon aswell?
1200px-S3_Ammo_Knights_interior_English2.jpg

And then I haven't mention the Sheldon picks or probability of Toni Kensa kits. Makes me wonder what Nintendo is gonna do with that.
They will most likely renovate a stage for the mid season update again. Scorch Gorge seems like the most likely candidate.

My guess is that they will dole out 3rd kits for every weapon slowly over the next two years, considering that's how long it has taken to get all the 2nd kits. It's an easy way to extend the lifespan of the game and would dovetail well with a standalone Squid Beatz game in 2025 or 2026.

Back
Top Bottom