• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have they actually banned anyone that "just joined a match using the new maps on accident" yet, though?

Because so far we have a single tweet that says if you play the new maps you get banned with not much more context, and for all i know is someone that entirely hacked their way in and got banned just flinging shit around.
Yes, it's confirmed unhacked switches were banned for it. These obviously weren't cases where the players joined on accident, but I'm just saying it's a realistic possibility someone does join one of these lobbies accidentally.

you may play the maps early... once

fetchimage

Yes, it's confirmed unhacked switches were banned for it. These obviously weren't cases where the players joined on accident, but I'm just saying it's a realistic possibility someone does join one of these lobbies accidentally.

"confirmed" to anyone whose seen this whole shindig happen before here meaning "there's at least a 75% chance that it's someone who doesn't want to admit has a hacked switch and made a really stupid decision, and is hoping by making some social media pressure they can bullshit their way in to being unbanned"

Yes, it's confirmed unhacked switches were banned for it. These obviously weren't cases where the players joined on accident,

So we don't actually have any cases of people joining on accident.

Don't fall for it, seriously. It's absolutely someone that got banned trying to fling shit. It's happened before. Nintendo is a lot more picky with banning people than that, or else we'd have people actively trying to exploit this to get other people banned.

They can see who you're friends with and how you joined a game, they don't just hit the banhammer button at random. Remember they don't want to ban people unless strictly necessary, because each banned user is one less paying customer.

"confirmed" to anyone whose seen this whole shindig happen before here meaning "there's at least a 75% chance that it's someone who doesn't want to admit has a hacked switch and made a really stupid decision, and is hoping by making some social media pressure they can bullshit their way in to being unbanned"
"Confirmed" by respected members of the switch/splatoon modding community

I'm genuinely surprised I'm seeing people defending permabans for what is practically just a dataminer having a look at what's coming in less than 24h

Not all switch modders are terrible people who go out of their way to ruin other people's days y'all

Aww a little "someone thinks you're fresh" message pops up when someone Freshes your locker or recent activity.
Oh, that's cute! I wondered what that function was for since it never seemed to do anything, but now it shows you a little notification I guess

I'm genuinely surprised I'm seeing people defending permabans for what is practically just a dataminer having a look at what's coming in less than 24h

Not all switch modders are terrible people who go out of their way to ruin other people's days y'all

"Confirmed" by respected members of the switch/splatoon modding community

Ah yes, the most famously unlikely community to have a hacked switch that could get banned online for doing something stupid, the modding community. Well, I'm convinced, that overturns the literal hundreds of times I've seen people try and make this exact kind of handwavey excuse over dozens of games over the past two decades, where it almost always turned out the same way.

You can't really make exceptions for people going against the ToS of the game "without harming anyone".

I mean, in this case we've been arguing about the possibility of them getting unrelated people banned, right? That seems like ruining other people's days to me.

So what I'm getting at from the map changes so far is that they're essentially nerfs to backliners/long-distance weapons (and by proxy Crab Tank).

I can live with that. Shooters still are looking a lot stronger now but I don't think that's a class you can unilaterally influence, those types of weapons need individual fine tuning.

That Eeltail Alley Tricolor version should really be the standard, as much as I kinda like the map.

You can't really make exceptions for people going against the ToS of the game "without harming anyone".

I mean, in this case we've been arguing about the possibility of them getting unrelated people banned, right? That seems like ruining other people's days to me.
Except the thing is, they were doing the exact opposite of trying to ruin other people's days. They were trying to show people who wanted to see the new stages early, they were going out of their way to help people out.

Except the thing is, they were doing the exact opposite of trying to ruin other people's days. They were trying to show people who wanted to see the new stages early, they were going out of their way to help people out.
I mean, they release tomorrow. Classic example of fuck around and find out if you ask me

It's weird you can change the music in shared lobbies but not in your own single player lobby. It's good that Marigold isn't in 2 places at once in Inkopolis but it's strange that they didn't add a little poof of smoke or something. Inkopolis Plaza being called just Inkopolis is intriguing, as it implies that Inkopolis Square will go by a different name following the events of Side Order.

And yeah everyone knows if you mod a multiplayer game you're playing with fire. I doubt anyone without a modded client would get banned.

we have two options

ban people who hack to play season content early, or just release the patches at the time the season starts and do the maintenance then

honestly, the latter makes more sense...

we have two options

ban people who hack to play season content early, or just release the patches at the time the season starts and do the maintenance then

True, but I like the tease of patches the day before. Gives a nice one two punch

From a practical perspective, doing the patches a day early lightens the rush of everyone trying to all download it at once, and also allows time for checking on that day whether everything worked properly before it goes fully playable, so they can make any necessary adjustments.

I just don't agree with the "You broke ToS, you deserve to get banned" sentiment that seems to be common here. I believe it is morally unjust to ban modders for doing harmless things outside of public lobbies. Not all ToS's are objectively good.

I just don't agree with the "You broke ToS, you deserve to get banned" sentiment that seems to be common here. I believe it is morally unjust to ban modders for doing harmless things outside of public lobbies.
they're taking content early. when something has a release date it's quite a problem for nintendo that you can hack your switch to play them early. once people discover they can get stuff early by hacking, maybe they'll discover they can get stuff for free

from nintendo's perspective these are pirates, they just happen to be stealing free content

As the Spanish saying says, "You can't both have a full wine pellet and a drunk mother in law".

If they were showing people that knew the risks and willingly wanted to see the new stages early, they were intentionally getting their accounts in danger, because the entire thing is against the ToS and they should know better.

If they were just having open private battles people can accidentally walk in, then they're putting other people's accounts in danger, and they'd also should know better.

we have two options

The latter is also riskier. There's bugs and issues that are only going to manifest themselves once the patch is out in the open. Doing it this way gives them some lead time to iron them out in time for the actual season start.

Also, spread server load for the patch downloads. Some people are gonna want to check the new stuff immediately, but others will wait until the proper season start.

I just don't agree with the "You broke ToS, you deserve to get banned" sentiment that seems to be common here. I believe it is morally unjust to ban modders for doing harmless things outside of public lobbies. Not all ToS's are objectively good.

Absolutely out of the topic at hand, but the problem is that morality doesn't really play a part on this, at all.

Splatoon is a multiplayer game run by Nintendo. They own the thing. This means they make the rules, and you can decide to engage with the game in their terms, or not. It's not a matter of what the morality of it is, it's a matter that they own the ball and they set the rules of playing with it.

We have plenty examples of how games with public servers work, and that's also a valid model, but Splatoon isn't one of them.

If you want to get more out of topic, morality is also a personal subjective concept, and there's no objective good, just societally adopted group conventions to live in community.

I would argue it's morally wrong for neets to play on the new maps when timmy, age 9, can't hack his switch at all

it's so fucking stupid

they're just sitting in there behind glass like a zoo exhibit for switch kids

quite upsetting, and i didnt think anything would bum me out more than the repping inkopolis emote just playing the default emote for weapons that werent in splatoon 1.

as for the current topic at hand, i think if youre playing unreleased content online youre playing with unreasonable amount of fire lol. joining a friends private battle and seeing manta maria or w/e is the chosen map and continuing on with it is a bad idea.

i admit that it is definitely not impossible this happened to someone without them fully understanding they were doing something that could get them banned, but i think its much more realistic to assume anyone joining private lobbies running unreleased content probably knows that they're up to something lol.

i say this as someone with an extensive history of modding and putting cfw on consoles. hell, i have a switch with cfw installed. i actually got my jtagged 360 banned from xbox live because before people were ripping DLC packages i still wanted to buy occasional songs for Rock Band from the store. i knew i was taking a risk connecting to XBL with a modded console, even just to actually give nicrosoft money, but it was very much a "i know im fucking around, i hope today isn't the day i find out" thing for me

Last edited:
Callie and Marie shouldn't even be sitting there behind the glass. They got bigger things to do than hang out in that studio these days.

Callie and Marie shouldn't even be sitting there behind the glass. They got bigger things to do than hang out in that studio these days.
literally

I was excited for their return. squid sisters news? new flavor text? sign me the fuck up, here's your 25 dollars early nintendo

if they hadn't been there? okay, that makes sense for the lore. they're in alterna! I approve of this splatoon verisimilitude

instead we get the fucking worst of both worlds where they're in there for no reason other than to make painfully obvious that this is cynical nostalgia bait that has no interest in the world of these games at all

nothing has made me realize how much I hate deep cut like the lack of squid sisters news

i like frye shiver and big man but a part of me can't help but wonder if i will ever be endeared to any of them like it was to callie/marie or pearl/marina without forced news casts lol.

like yeah, you get tired of the news eventually but i never minded it at first, and it gave me enough personality for those characters to really like them.

with how much downtime there is between getting into matches and end screens, level up screens, that mysterious loading screen when you get back to the lobby of you don't stick with your team, etc its hard for me to justify watching the news in 3 at all, and i real think it hurts deep cuts characterization

i like frye shiver and big man but a part of me can't help but wonder if i will ever be endeared to any of them like it was to callie/marie or pearl/marina without forced news casts lol.

like yeah, you get tired of the news eventually but i never minded it at first, and it gave me enough personality for those characters to really like them.

with how much downtime there is between getting into matches and end screens, level up screens, that mysterious loading screen when you get back to the lobby of you don't stick with your team, etc its hard for me to justify watching the news in 3 at all, and i real think it hurts deep cuts characterization
it doesn't help that their appearance and characterization in the story really sucks too

I think they're just kinda crappy characters. I feel as though I don't get the them the way I get the other four.

I was excited for their return. squid sisters news? new flavor text? sign me the fuck up, here's your 25 dollars early nintendo
cWP29HBzOX4zFAEmM5QeBQUTnzE9zWdVRktTDaN0NKQ.jpg

Tbh I'd be more than happy with the old ones, there are some real good ones in there.

Now that I'm thinking about it. They should have gone back to this structure of the news for Splatoon 3. In 2 they cut out the stage specific dialogue to make the news faster, but now we can just skip the news entirely. Yet they kept 2's structure and doubled down by having Deep Cut only say very general things at the end of each news section. Specific dialogue for each stage would have both helped flesh out their characters more and make the news actually attractive to watch every now and then.

The Deep Cut member I like the most is Frye and that's almost solely because of the characterization she receives during Splatfest dialogue where she'll waver between all three choices but stan hard for whatever choice she currently landed on. Without Splatfests we wouldn't even have that. And even the Splatfest back and forths got cut down!

Big brain theory:
There's no Squid Sisters news because the ones in Inkopolis plaza are their body doubles and the real ones stay in Alterna.

They hired them to not raise suspicion about their Squidbeak Splatoon activities but didn't have time to train them in newscasting.

Big brain theory:
There's no Squid Sisters news because the ones in Inkopolis plaza are their body doubles and the real ones stay in Alterna.

They hired them to not raise suspicion about their Squidbeak Splatoon activities but didn't have time to train them in newscasting.
Imagine in wave 2 they add the news, but the Squid Sisters seem ever so slightly off: asynchronous "Stay fresh!", small hints in the stage info, slightly different model. Would be quite funny if they were just deepfakes

Imagine in wave 2 they add the news, but the Squid Sisters seem ever so slightly off: asynchronous "Stay fresh!", small hints in the stage info, slightly different model. Would be quite funny if they were just deepfakes

Over time they add animations where their wigs fall off randomly.

I'm playing to fill out the catalogue levels before they leave, what's the fastest way?
from my understanding, unless you're, like, exceptionally good and consistently matched with people worse than you, it's good old turf war. basically a coin flip every three minutes

I'm playing to fill out the catalogue levels before they leave, what's the fastest way?
fyi from this season onwards rewards will also be added to the slot machine (don't know how rare they are)

Aside from that getting knockouts in ranked might be your best opportunity. Brinewater and Mahi Mahi often end in knockouts so maybe see if they are in rotation

Thanks guys. I've been playing Ranked for 2 hours and feeling homicidal lmao. After this next level to get the Bomber Jacket I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom