• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I finished the single player. It was good. Not as good as the Octoexpansion. The final battle wasn't nearly as good either. The final battles of Splatoon 1 & 2 were also better. Actually, I found the final stretch of Splatoon 3 pretty bad.
I still don't like the new idols. Speaking of which, where are the idols from Splatoon 2?

I'm going back grinding rank mode instead. I still haven't even tried salmon run...

Needed no debt forgiveness. No, no, not me. Pulled myself up by my boot-straps* all by myself I did.

feotenoamailmsh3uf2u.jpg

Never thought I'd get there before the season reset after going deep into the red. The lowest points negative I could find documented was -1447, but I remember being 2500 away from a Rank-Up Battle only I was too depressed to take a screenshot. Rebuild my confidence Open, then jumped back into Series with better luck.

Now onto S+!!

*the bootstraps being the matchmaking suddenly deciding to play nice.
There was a vtuber who went over 1800 points into the negative. Honestly, not being able to rank down makes ranked feel miserable to play. I'm trapped in S+1 at like -1300, and I just want to rank down already and get matches that actually feel fair. Ranked in Splatoon 2 had problems, but this demoralizing shit is the exact opposite of an improvement.

Man that Deep Cut concert was great! I would go see them on tour for sure. People suspend disbelief for the Gorillaz, why not Deep Cut? Come on Nintendo, get to it!
It brings me great joy seeing how Nogomi and his team elevate their titles music as a core part of the experience in Splatoon and Animal Crossing. And to see Nintendo creating entire concerts around those titles, it's so cool.

Also I maintain the Splatfest music theme in 3 is the best they've done to date. Every time I was in the square during the last to 'fests I had this big stupid grin on my face. That song is just pure musical joy to me.

Man that Deep Cut concert was great! I would go see them on tour for sure. People suspend disbelief for the Gorillaz, why not Deep Cut? Come on Nintendo, get to it!
man I watch that Off the Hook concert all the time. The live band kills it. Cant wait to see the Deep Cut show

Glowflies is so miserable. At higher hazard levels it feels like you simply don't get enough accessible eggs to make quota.

There was a vtuber who went over 1800 points into the negative. Honestly, not being able to rank down makes ranked feel miserable to play. I'm trapped in S+1 at like -1300, and I just want to rank down already and get matches that actually feel fair. Ranked in Splatoon 2 had problems, but this demoralizing shit is the exact opposite of an improvement.

If Anarchy Series doesn't give a shit about rank and matches by a hidden matchmaking score regardless as it seems to, it'd be a miserable experience even if we were able to rank down. But on my climb back up I also didn't run into any S or S+ badges until the Rank-Up Battle, so who knows what's up with the system. It's a bunch of strange, frustration-generating decisions.

Got a nice quad + an extra from my Wave Breaker

If Anarchy Series doesn't give a shit about rank and matches by a hidden matchmaking score regardless as it seems to, it'd be a miserable experience even if we were able to rank down. But on my climb back up I also didn't run into any S or S+ badges until the Rank-Up Battle, so who knows what's up with the system. It's a bunch of strange, frustration-generating decisions.
Yeah, I've heard it still uses a score in the background to match players of similar skill. My problem is that I don't actually feel that in the games I'm getting, and it's not like I'm just having a couple bad days because I've been stuck in the negatives for around a week now. It doesn't help that however the game decides team comps is often wonky. I literally had a game earlier where my team was two E-liters and two Splattershots.

I am never going to rank up lmfao

gonna be stuck at my transferred b- forever

is everyone else better or am I worse? maybe both?
I don't play the game anymore but before Splatoon 3 I felt like I was a decent player. It literally destroyed my confidence in my Splatoon skills lmao.
Sometimes I think it was a fail on my part to import my Splatoon 2 data. I know this is little of help but I empathize with you.

I don't play the game anymore but before Splatoon 3 I felt like I was a decent player. It literally destroyed my confidence in my Splatoon skills lmao.
Sometimes I think it was a fail on my part to import my Splatoon 2 data. I know this is little of help but I empathize with you.
yeah I'm starting to think importing was a mistake too lol

I finished the single player. It was good. Not as good as the Octoexpansion. The final battle wasn't nearly as good either. The final battles of Splatoon 1 & 2 were also better. Actually, I found the final stretch of Splatoon 3 pretty bad.
I still don't like the new idols. Speaking of which, where are the idols from Splatoon 2?

I'm going back grinding rank mode instead. I still haven't even tried salmon run...
I completed the story mode yesterday too and I feel quite the opposite. I found the base levels quite similar to those from the Splatoon 2 campaign, not as good as the levels from the Octoexpansion; but I felt that the final part and, more specifically, the final boss battle were just as good, if not better, than the late Octoexpansion. I really liked the final boss.

Yeah, I've heard it still uses a score in the background to match players of similar skill. My problem is that I don't actually feel that in the games I'm getting, and it's not like I'm just having a couple bad days because I've been stuck in the negatives for around a week now. It doesn't help that however the game decides team comps is often wonky. I literally had a game earlier where my team was two E-liters and two Splattershots.

It's a mystery to me as well. I don't feel like I played any better digging myself out of the hole than I did while digging that hole deeper and deeper. At least nowhere close to the extent that'd explain going from a 1:3 win record to a 2:1 record. It's just either the competition got softer or my teams gelled better; the first couldn't happen with a hidden matchmaking number and the latter is so random it shouldn't happen.

It's a mystery to me as well. I don't feel like I played any better digging myself out of the hole than I did while digging that hole deeper and deeper. At least nowhere close to the extent that'd explain going from a 1:3 win record to a 2:1 record. It's just either the competition got softer or my teams gelled better; the first couldn't happen with a hidden matchmaking number and the latter is so random it shouldn't happen.
Yeah I'm just hoping the matchmaking will eventually get to the point where this kind of stuff becomes less common. That, or I level up enough that I never have to worry about it again lol.

A couple nice suggestions I've seen for how they could make ranked not feel so bad would be having a cap for how low rank points can go, or having you play a series to maintain your rank if your points go low enough. Between showing how many times you died in a match, having no cap on how low ranked points can go, and only showing the winning team, I kinda feel like the game's presentation goes out of its way to make you feel bad about losing in a way that seems like a massive overcorrection of the softer approach 2 had.

I saw an interesting (but ignored) Reddit post which summarized the recent Splatoon 3 Big House tournament.

I watched parts of the tourney. It was helpful to see what the pros were actually using & doing compared to the mainstream advice being bandied around.

Also, it was not surprising to see that even pros need to launch Tenta Missiles. From Goo Tubers, no less.

only showing the winning team, I kinda feel like the game's presentation goes out of its way to make you feel bad about losing in a way that seems like a massive overcorrection of the softer approach 2 had.

THANK YOU! I thought I was alone in going against the consensus that showing only the happy winners made you feel less bad about losing. NO! Seeing those smug assholes intensifies my salt!

THANK YOU! I thought I was alone in going against the consensus that showing only the happy winners made you feel less bad about losing. NO! Seeing those smug assholes intensifies my salt!
LMAO yeah at a certain point it really does feel like the game is just rubbing it in

How are people finding the online stability? I'm not happy with it.

Case in point: 5 games of Turf War attempted right now. First attempt, booted at the lobby. Next attempt, fine. Next game, a player on my team disconnects mid-match. Next game, multiple players booted so the game ends. Next attempt, booted at the lobby.

1 in 5 games working as planned is awful.

Case in point: 5 games of Turf War attempted right now. First attempt, booted at the lobby. Next attempt, fine. Next game, a player on my team disconnects mid-match. Next game, multiple players booted so the game ends. Next attempt, booted at the lobby.

I hit 100 hours today, so I've been averaging around a few hours a day. I would say it's definitely better than at launch, but that's mostly because I'm S+ (so playing with people who are more likely to be on a wired connection) and mostly play ranked. Even then, I still have a few people in my lobbies DC every session. I thankfully have had a better experience in that regard than some others, but it's not good.

I hit 100 hours today, so I've been averaging around a few hours a day. I would say it's definitely better than at launch, but that's mostly because I'm S+ (so playing with people who are more likely to be on a wired connection) and mostly play ranked. Even then, I still have a few people in my lobbies DC every session. I thankfully have had a better experience in that regard than some others, but it's not good.
It's frustrating. I can understand teething problems at launch, and I realise now they've already patched to try and improve things, but this kind of instability a month after launch is frankly shocking to me. Or, at least, it's a worse experience than I expected.

Torn between wanting to keep trying (stopped playing tonight after more disconnects with Salmon Run) and between attempting to get Nintendo to scrub the game from my account and refund me the voucher. Maybe single player will change my mind; I'll give that a go tomorrow.

I get lots of problems finding a game. Tonight was especially bad. Virtually every match I needed three aborted attempts before one finally went through. Once out of the lobby, disconnects happen in maybe one match out of ten. And of those the majority take place within the first couple of seconds, so that the match is called off right away. Past the first half minute mark, disconnects are relatively rare. In my last fifty battles, I've had one that went the full distance with one team missing a member.

A semi-related thing I haven't seen much complaints about my game crashes with alarming regularity. Usually when restarting from sleep mode after I paused in some menu or other and the maps rotated.

It's frustrating. I can understand teething problems at launch, and I realise now they've already patched to try and improve things, but this kind of instability a month after launch is frankly shocking to me. Or, at least, it's a worse experience than I expected.

Torn between wanting to keep trying (stopped playing tonight after more disconnects with Salmon Run) and between attempting to get Nintendo to scrub the game from my account and refund me the voucher. Maybe single player will change my mind; I'll give that a go tomorrow.
Yeah I'm used to this because I've put hundreds of hours into each of these games, but DCs have pretty much been a problem with every game in this series. Splatoon is one of the most mechanically brilliant franchises out there, and it sucks that some people don't get to enjoy that because of the shoddy online.

Single player is good! A lot of levels that can be played with multiple weapons, but it doesn't overstay its welcome even if you go for 100%. It also has one of the coolest bosses in a modern Nintendo game.

Today's Anarchy Series was a land of contrasts. Lost the first 2, including a match where we should have easily won but we repeatedly choked on pushes and of course the other team pulled ahead at the end. I was tilted and ready for another awful 0-3 but I found a good team and won 3 straight before a communication error in queue. The next game I get 2 of the worst dumbass rollers I've ever seen who spawn and die 5 seconds later to the other team's e-liter and we lose in like 1 minute, would have been 30 seconds if me and the hydra didn't barely delay them while waiting for the rollers to respawn and die again.

Lol I used to have it a lot too (and still have sometimes) Where's the anger coming from? Losses, shitty teammates or shitty you?
mostly shitty me

I get annoyed at losses but the visceral "oh god I have to stop before I literally die" is only when I fuck up and get killed

never get mad at teammates lol

mostly shitty me

I get annoyed at losses but the visceral "oh god I have to stop before I literally die" is only when I fuck up and get killed

never get mad at teammates lol
It's understandable though, you mostly play snipers right? Those are some of the hardest weapons in the game to master.

I myself have been playing Tenta Brella which is quite the love hate relation. I'd argue it's in the same category as snipers. I once lost 5 matches in a row, got angry and did one match with splashomatic. The difference in ease of play was quite jarring.

Been slowly getting better though! So you can make it as well I'm sure. My advice would be to switch to a different weapon type when you get angry. It'll feel fresh and at the same time makes you appreciate the weapon you quit on more (at least for me it does)

I suffered my first "everyone but me and a person on the other team disconnected mid-match" yesterday. The authentic Splatoon 2 experience.

Imagine if that's what big run would do. You can play salmon run on normal stages, but random bosses also spawn during turf and ranked
Honestly, that would be really cool. Play for a minute, then boom, Salmons appear to screw both teams over
I doubt they'd do that, but it would be really cool and 100% chaotic hell-on-earth XD

Two views of the same event

Very feast-or-famine in Anarchy today. Some of my best games and worst games ever. In the end the important thing is I won the last series with 2 in a row victories, 15-2 in the decisive game, and am that much closer to having a chance to get past S rank.

Glowflies is awful. It's funny because almost every other special wave feels like it got much easier, but never Glowflies.

Part of the blame falls on the playerbase getting dumber.

In Splatoon 2 we didn't popularize the wall tech until Lost Outpost was added. Now people are doing it even on Spawning Grounds where everyone was always fine standing right next to the basket. It's befuddling.

The only explanation I can come up with is the increased aggression of the Glowflies has sent people into a panic where higher brain functions cease to exist.

Both rotations of Salmon Run were so good this past weekend that I practically played it non-stop without touching the other modes for almost two days. We defeated Cohozuna enough times for me to finally get the blue suit!

@Magnet_Man, I hope once again you don't mind me posting something you shared on Era. I don't really post there anymore but sometimes I read the Splatoon 3 OT because the info you share is incredibly useful 💖

This is about using the Tri-Stringer in SR. It helped me a lot and made some waves a breeze.

Magnet_Man said:
Great video on how to optimize the Tri-Stringer in Salmon Run
  1. Lids need two shots. One full charge and a mostly charged second. Don't jump shoot
  2. Steel Heads just need one full charge. You don't need to do a jump shot. While technically you don't need to do a full charge, the partial charge doesn't make the three arrows overlap consistently at a distance to deal the cumulative damage needed
  3. Drizzlers need two full charges. Don't do jump shots
  4. Big Shots need 3 full charges. Fire at a distance to avoid dealing with swarms
  5. When dealing with up close swarms, Stingers, and deflecting the Drizzler's bomb, do fast hopping tap shots
  6. For painting, use tap shots without jumping and aim at the ground in front
  7. Use full charges to instantly take out Cohocks at a distance to make things easier on your team mates. You need a little under 1 half charge and 3/4 charge to kill
  8. Sampling how to deal with Glowflies with it, although the demo is done on a low hazard level. You want to charge a little bit so the arrows do more damage than tap shots to ensure you kill the grunts
  9. A full charge is enough to stun a Griller. If you wait until the stun time runs out, you can use that time to charge another shot to cause another stun

Y'all have scared me away from ever playing Ranked seriously! I just play Splatoon for the fun beats and sick hangs. If it became a stressor, I would walk away from it just like I did Overwatch!

Y'all have scared me away from ever playing Ranked seriously! I just play Splatoon for the fun beats and sick hangs. If it became a stressor, I would walk away from it just like I did Overwatch!
Ya, I've taken it too seriously which makes me unlikely to play. Just gonna vibe in ranked from hereon. Should get S soon enough but if not, oh well

hopefully squiffer gets another kit so I can practice with it until I can get my freshness up on the classic

Back
Top Bottom